PDA

View Full Version : They just don't make brains like they use to

Blueface
05-28-2010, 06:29 AM
At one point does it become legal to shoot your child?
Crazy question but truly a valid one.

I get a call yesterday from my wife on my cell, while I am on a business conference call on my regular line.
She just got a call from my mother.
My daughter left work almost immediately after getting there and return to my mother's house.
She was laid out in bed, feeling horrible.
Could barely drive herself there.

My wife tells me she called the Dr. and they didn't have any appointments but did squeeze her in, if I could get her there in 45 minutes. Good thing I give my Dr. cigars regularly as they pay off in these instances.

I stop what I am doing. Drop a business conference call and excuse myself to take my daughter to the Dr.
Nearly two hours later, we return home.
She has been given antibiotics and I have spent $170 for the visit and tests done as she has no insurance.

Now comes the good part.
At 11:15 at night, I get a call from her that she would not be going to work (she needed to pick up my wife as I have loaned her my truck as her car is being serviced - whole different discussion for another day).
This morning, I learned the reason she called at 11:15 at night is that she apparently had just returned from a baseball game with her boyfriend for which she had company free tickets that she could not pass up. I bet parking wasn't free. I bet money had to be spent for goodies. However, jackass here paid for the Dr.

While I love my children and will help them in any way, she truly deserves to get shot. Man I am pissed.

pnoon
05-28-2010, 06:35 AM
I feel your pain, Carlos.
They can certainly drive you crazy.

Blueface
05-28-2010, 06:37 AM
Let me just add, jackass here also fronted $150 towards needed parts to fix her car.
I will make sure the final bill goes to her or she pays me back now.
She had been driving for a while on a bad front bearing without telling me anything.
Darn thing was near locking up.
Destroyed the flange and all.
Add to that all engine mounts bad.
Rotors needed to be cut.
Sensors gone bad for temperature control.
Who paid for the car? Can you guess? Yup, same jackass.
That I did for my grandson. I just keep saying that to myself as he is the victim.

68TriShield
05-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Hang in there Carlos,it'll get better.

Blueface
05-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Hang in there Carlos,it'll get better.

With kids?

Never!

I use to be a fool to believe that as time passed, it would get better, easier, cheaper.

Unfortunately, it gets worse, harder, more expensive.

I just have to get wiser.

replicant_argent
05-28-2010, 06:51 AM
Ow...
Get yourself a nice tent peg, my friend, (attempt to smoke it) and think about how the world can be a cruel place...

;) Love ya like a brother, buddy, lol

Blueface
05-28-2010, 06:54 AM
While I am truly irked about the money part, it also bothers me that everyone went nuts and out of the way thinking she was in dire need of medical help and then off to a Marlins game she goes after that.

Amazing.

Subvet642
05-28-2010, 06:58 AM
Well, from a Red Sox fan, I can tell you that baseball is a sacrement! Bill "Spaceman" Lee tells the story of the first time he saw Fenway Park. He said that when he got onto the field for the first time and saw that expanse of green, he got down on one knee, crossed himself and thanked God for making him a baseball player. A girl who loves baseball can't be that bad, and try to remember that no one who never made a mistake in life ever learned a damned thing!

68TriShield
05-28-2010, 07:05 AM
While I am truly irked about the money part, it also bothers me that everyone went nuts and out of the way thinking she was in dire need of medical help and then off to a Marlins game she goes after that.

Amazing.

It's that daily drama thing Carlos,no day is complete without some sort of crisis :rolleyes:

Blueface
05-28-2010, 07:11 AM
and try to remember that no one who never made a mistake in life ever learned a damned thing!

True, but one has to recognize that mistake in order to learn. Don't think she does.

It's that daily drama thing Carlos,no day is complete without some sort of crisis :rolleyes:

Dave,
It has been nothing but drama lately.

I told the Dr. yesterday instead of having two kids and buying two dogs, I should have bought four dogs instead and passed on the kids. :r

I guess I did dumb stuff in my early 20's that I have just forced myself to forget.:D

Wanger
05-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Great! Can't wait for this type of drama to start unfolding in our house! They're 11 (going on 30), 9, and 5. The 11 yr old evidently had a crying fit when mom wouldn't let her wear her (mom's) good sandals, and she tried to sneak them into her backpack and take to school and got caught.

Just imagine the fun when they're all old enough to drive. Yea me!

Sorry you're dealing with this now Carlos.

nozero
05-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I feel your pain, Carlos.
They can certainly drive you crazy.

Drive hell, for me it's a hop, skip and a jump.

We have a 30 year old son who we financially support. He has issues with depression and has not worked in at least 3 years. While I have become more sympathetic, I still have a strong opinion that he should be working. Flipping burgers, mopping floors, entry level whatever... I'd like to know that he'll be capable of caring for himself some day, hopefully before I expire.

RGD.
05-28-2010, 07:37 AM

Amazing.

Isn't it wonderful how modern medicine can create such miracles! One minute you are next to death on the bed and can't move - the next your standing in a crowd with thousands cheering.

I was always amazed how when my girls were in high school they would be deathly, way to sick to go to school - but by 3:30 pm and two aspirin they were ready to go out with their friends and dance, party, etc.

Kids.

Ron

Eleven
05-28-2010, 07:42 AM
I am sure there are exceptions to the rule, but at least in my house, its the Daughter that always calls or stops by for 'something'. Money, Towels, Utensils, Food, Money, Furniture, Bicycles, Sheets, Money, etc etc.

The Son who is 5 years older has NEVER stopped by or called to ask for anything. Only once right after he moved out and wanted to buy an old house and needed help getting it up to code to turn on Utilities did he ask for anything, and that was a couple years ago.

I am glad we only had 1 Daughter :)

CigarNut
05-28-2010, 07:50 AM
My older son sounds a lot like your daughter... He's in to me now for about $7,000 (car repairs, car replacement, computer repairs, wasted college expenses -- he dropped out, etc.) I did finally cut him off. He tells me that he is going to repay me, but I ain't holding my breath.

I have higher hopes for my younger son, but I am less quick to loan him money. So far he has paid back everything I have loaned him -- always a good sign :)

newcigarz
05-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I feel you Carlos.

My daughter informed me last week that she is moving back to CT. After I paid for her to go to school down here. Paid for her to move down here. Supported her while she was here. Unfortunately she said it "just didn't work out". Before I know it she has the car that I bought her, packed up and she hit the road.
She is already is in CT. so much for long goodbyes.
Do you think the distance now will be a any less expensive for me? I'm still paying her car insurance.

hotreds
05-28-2010, 07:56 AM
Nope!

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://www.pastor.us/funnel2.jpg&ei=T8v_S-a5NIK0lQfPloDuCQ&sa=X&oi=image_landing_page_redirect&ct=legacy&usg=AFQjCNFDvqexMWNP1iWvhYPsGyGEBKT-bQ

croatan
05-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I already support my parents; really not looking forward to kids, too.

--

Carlos, have you done the four generations smoking pic yet?

Blueface
05-28-2010, 08:45 AM
Carlos, have you done the four generations smoking pic yet?

:r
Not the way I feel right now. Not sure if I want them all in the same room at the same time.:r

Actually, with my son's travel schedule, it has been tough to hook everybody up in one room long enough.

ade06
05-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Let me just add, jackass here also fronted $150 towards needed parts to fix her car.
I will make sure the final bill goes to her or she pays me back now.
She had been driving for a while on a bad front bearing without telling me anything.
Darn thing was near locking up.
Destroyed the flange and all.
Add to that all engine mounts bad.
Rotors needed to be cut.
Sensors gone bad for temperature control.
Who paid for the car? Can you guess? Yup, same jackass.
That I did for my grandson. I just keep saying that to myself as he is the victim.

Man you sound just like my mom ;s when it comes to my sister. The woman is always needing help with something and always too selfish to think about poor ol' mom and dad (or anyone else for that matter). Hang in there...

Blueface
05-28-2010, 08:49 AM
Reading all your stories shows we are all in a very similar boat.

I thought getting them to 18 was the hard part.
While tough indeed, it is after 18 to mid to late 20's that seems to suck as much, in a totally different way.

I am trying so hard to remember if I was the same way.
It just seems the word gratitude is non existent and one would think at that age, the person is no longer a child and should reason like an adult.

Tony,
In your case, you have a tough one in that the car is in your name and hence you need to keep the insurance on it.
Make sure you notify your carrier of the new garaging of the car so no issues down the line should she have a loss up there.

newcigarz
05-28-2010, 08:58 AM
Tony,
In your case, you have a tough one in that the car is in your name and hence you need to keep the insurance on it.
Make sure you notify your carrier of the new garaging of the car so no issues down the line should she have a loss up there.

Thanks for the heads up.

BC-Axeman
05-28-2010, 10:26 AM
The title of this thread is misleading. The problem is that parents brains are made the same and that leads us into these situations with our kids. You have to have some hard boundaries with soft edges.
It's always been this way.

BlackDog
05-28-2010, 10:28 AM
I've got a 21 year old daughter who can be a bit of a Drama Queen. You may be sick, but she is dying. You may have a bad day, but hers is the worst in the history of mankind. Makes me crazy sometimes.

We're in the process currently of "cutting" our financial relationship with her. Not in a bad way, but it's time for her to become independent. We've taught her how to be financially responsible, but it won't really hit home until she has to make real-life decisions. Her current decisions of "Do I go to a movie with my friends, or buy a new blouse?" aren't really moving the ball forward.

Good luck Carlos!

BC-Axeman
05-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I've got a 21 year old daughter who can be a bit of a Drama Queen. You may be sick, but she is dying. You may have a bad day, but hers is the worst in the history of mankind. Makes me crazy sometimes.

We're in the process currently of "cutting" our financial relationship with her. Not in a bad way, but it's time for her to become independent. We've taught her how to be financially responsible, but it won't really hit home until she has to make real-life decisions. Her current decisions of "Do I go to a movie with my friends, or buy a new blouse?" aren't really moving the ball forward.

Good luck Carlos!lol:r
Have I got stories!
Gotta teach those birds to fly...

Blueface
05-28-2010, 10:36 AM
The title of this thread is misleading. The problem is that parents brains are made the same and that leads us into these situations with our kids. You have to have some hard boundaries with soft edges.
It's always been this way.

Unfortunately, regardless of how hard you set those boundaries, they are always compromised.

In this case, I reacted due to what I saw when I grew up.
I recall my dad pawning his jewelry to get me much needed medical care when I was young.

I fell for the call from the wife and my mom that told me how terrible of a condition she was in.

Took her to the Dr. and watched her be miserable the whole way there.

Like my dad, having learned from him, nothing will ever stop me from making sure a family member gets necessary medical treatment.

The last thing I expected was a fun time at a ball game post all that.

However, I too learn. You an only cry wolf so many times and she has run out of them.

shilala
05-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Carlos, just keep thinking "Grandchildren". Full circle tends to come full circle. :)
Talk to the kid, calmly. Explain what happened to you because of her "crisis".
It's not like she's going to understand, but she'll understand the next time she sticks her hand out and you explain you haven't finished paying off the ass pounding she gave you last time.
Plus you want to take Mom to the ball game, and it's your last $500 bucks. :D

Don Fernando
05-28-2010, 10:53 AM
so Carlos, if I understand correctly she makes you pay the bills, and then spend her own money on fun stuff? Sounds to me that the new brain is smarter than the old one :D

Blueface
05-28-2010, 11:06 AM
so Carlos, if I understand correctly she makes you pay the bills, and then spend her own money on fun stuff? Sounds to me that the new brain is smarter than the old one :D

:r:r:r

shilala
05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I think Don mighta got ya there, brother. :D

markem
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM
The last thing I expected was a fun time at a ball game post all that.

Apparently, nothing heals like a little TLC from Dad. :tu

BlackDog
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Apparently, nothing heals like a little TLC from Dad. :tu

Daddy kissed it and made the boo-boo all better. :D

markem
05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Daddy kissed it and made the boo-boo all better. :D

Hey Carlos, my butt hurts :r ;s

Blueface
05-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Hey Carlos, my butt hurts :r ;s

Bastage!!! :r

She is now on the phone with my wife.
She has been in bed all day.
Has fever.
Feels terrible.

I guess she doesn't have tickets for tonight's game.:rolleyes:

icehog3
05-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Bastage!!! :r

She is now on the phone with my wife.
She has been in bed all day.
Has fever.
Feels terrible.

I guess she doesn't have tickets for tonight's game.:rolleyes:

Don't be so sure, she felt terrible yesterday too, Brother. ;)

SmokeyJoe
05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Timely post, Carlos... going through some idiocy with my 21 year old son...

I keep saying that the boy is "eat up with stupid." My wife reminds me that is is a genetic disorder. :D

Hang in there - even with the money and the hassles, every once in a while they do something that melts your heart. Make her aware of your disappointment, and then you just move forward.

Here's to our kids learning life's lessons before it kills them - or us. ;)

I need a cigar. :ss

Blueface
05-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Timely post, Carlos... going through some idiocy with my 21 year old son...

I keep saying that the boy is "eat up with stupid." My wife reminds me that is is a genetic disorder. :D

Hang in there - even with the money and the hassles, every once in a while they do something that melts your heart. Make her aware of your disappointment, and then you just move forward.

Here's to our kids learning life's lessons before it kills them - or us. ;)

I need a cigar. :ss

Joe,
Just had a loaded mojito and a cigar.
Ready for another of each.:r

floydpink
05-28-2010, 05:07 PM
They say all this kindness and understanding you show to your kids ends up coming back in the end.

I hope you live long enough to reap the fruits of your labor buddy.

BC-Axeman
05-28-2010, 05:57 PM
They say all this kindness and understanding you show to your kids ends up coming back in the end.

I hope you live long enough to reap the fruits of your labor buddy.
Every kid is different but some of that return kindness starts to come back when they have their own kids.
Here's to grandkids. *clink*

Partagaspete
05-29-2010, 05:53 AM

Amazing.

Carlos,

Maybe you should sit down with her and have a heart to heart...seriously all this stress could give you angina or maybe even a kidney stone;).

T

bigpedunn
05-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Gave my youngest son ( 22 ) some cash for rent , he still is in school and he spends it on a new tatoo!!!!!!! I feel your pain.

acruce
05-29-2010, 07:00 AM
With kids?

Never!

I use to be a fool to believe that as time passed, it would get better, easier, cheaper.

Unfortunately, it gets worse, harder, more expensive.

I just have to get wiser.

Dont be so hard on your self. At least she is feeling better.:D

Skywalker
05-29-2010, 07:04 AM
I feel your pain Carlos!!!

I'm "helping" my daughter and her fiancé pay for their wedding next May. I've shelled out half the money so far, and I'm having to cut back on my spending to pay for the other half.

Two weeks ago - both my daughter and her fiancé think it would be fun to get tattoos. Her tat was $500 and his was $1000. WTF???

Get this, the tats have nothing to do with their relationship or love for one another!!! They're just fun!!!

F my life!!!

Apoco
05-29-2010, 07:15 AM
And this is why having a child that plays World of Warcraft all day is awesome. At least that's what my parents told me ;)

She'll grow up. I know I certainly have.

I guess I did dumb stuff in my early 20's that I have just forced myself to forget.:D

One thing I have definitely learned, if you ever find yourself thinking "you know, I haven't ever been much of a (drama king/queen, total moron, etc.)"...just ask your parents. They'll be happy to tell you allllllll about it :D

kelmac07
05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Kids...gotta love 'em (no matter what). :r