PDA

View Full Version : Volunteers needed for blind reviews

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I am looking for 3 volunteers to blind reviews. But, I'm not just going to take anybody. I want you to follow a specific format for your reviews. So, before you volunteer, look at the format for review (below) that I would like those who wish to take up the challenge to follow. As you can see, it really allows a thorough investigation of the cigar.

Also, the same beverage must be drunk with every cigar - what that beverage is, doesn't matter, but it must be stated what the beverage is - and you must have that beverage with each cigar. (this is for consistency)

Also, the cigar must be the first cigar each day - what time of the day is up to you. (again, for consistency)

I also want reviewers who have sampled both Non-Cuban and Cuban cigars. It doesn't matter if they prefer one or the other, just that they have sample them.

How am I going to choose my group? Simple. The first three to correctly guess in what months my wife, and two sons were born in gets to play. Just the 3 months, you don't have to specify what month each was born.

Have fun!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Review Format
In each of the categories below rank the cigar with this system
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose? tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?

Score for Pre-light construction:

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?

Score for post-light construction:

4) Flavor and strength: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?

Score for flavor and strength:

5) Finish/Aftertaste: Finish or aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh?

Score for aftertaste:

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent?

Score for aroma:

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score (this is not a total, or an average of the others - it is you overall rating of the cigar)

Overall score for the cigar:

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:

Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended

awsmith4
05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I'll bite

March, May, and September

JaKaacH
05-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I will guess June, July, and August.

dyieldin
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Nov. Jan and feb

Mpython24
05-27-2010, 05:33 PM
May, August and January

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I forgot to say how many guesses per day, so I guess I better state that - you get three guesses per day. I will give hints based upon guesses periodically.

Tim & MJ & Tom, having spoken with you all at length live and in person, I think you may know these, or at least part of them. So, I am sorry, but I must exclude you.

I'll bite
March, May, and September

0 of 3

I will guess June, July, and August.

1 of 3

Nov. Jan and feb

1 of 3

May, August and January

1 of 3

Now I am off to teach a Bible Study, may come back later.

Col. Kurtz
05-27-2010, 05:47 PM
June, January, August.

Mpython24
05-27-2010, 05:53 PM
Jan, Dec, Nov

thats 2 for me today

dyieldin
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Nov, Oct, March.

leasingthisspace
05-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Jan, Mar, Sep
Thanks for the contest.
Posted via Mobile Device

akumushi
05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
January, July and December

Mr Edmundo
05-27-2010, 06:28 PM
If Canadians can play
my guess is Aug, April, Dec

tomc3084
05-27-2010, 06:32 PM
1-nov / oct/ april
2-aug/ nov/ aprl
3- aug/ nov/ oct
My dumbass is not sure if you meant 3 months per guess or 3 sets of months guesses per day, so If i haffta stick with one it wqould be aug/nov/aprl

macsauce13
05-27-2010, 06:32 PM
August, January, October

yourchoice
05-27-2010, 06:55 PM
December, April, January

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Nov. Jan and feb

Sorry, I misspoke - 2 of 3.

gijoey959
05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
January, July, October

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
January, July and December

2 of 3

If Canadians can play
my guess is Aug, April, Dec

Yes. 0 of 3

1-nov / oct/ april
2-aug/ nov/ aprl
3- aug/ nov/ oct
My dumbass is not sure if you meant 3 months per guess or 3 sets of months guesses per day, so If i haffta stick with one it wqould be aug/nov/aprl

There are you three guesses today.
1. 1 of 3
2. 1 of 3
3. 1 of 3

August, January, October

1 of 3

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
January, July, October

2 of 3

kgoings
05-27-2010, 07:38 PM
January, July, and November

fissure
05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
Kirk can think quicker than me. I concur with him though:tu

Jan, July, Nov

Both right or both wrong:D

dyieldin
05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
How about Nov, Jan and July

dyieldin
05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Hey, that means I wasted a guess because the Rev misspoke.

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 08:03 PM

Jan, July, Nov

And we have our three contestants.

If you could each PM me your addys, I'll get the sticks out to you.

Eleven
05-27-2010, 08:05 PM
lol should have read page 2 before my guess huh?

tomc3084
05-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Awesome gesture brother, thanks for the contest!

mariogolbee
05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
I would love to do this but I already owe two reviews and some pics. Great idea and gesture though. Thank you!

Congrats to the three winners!

RevSmoke
05-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I had to do something a bit different to get the reviewers. I knew that my sons months were available for someone who was dilligent. My wife's was a 1 in 12 guess.

Congrats to the winners. I hope to get these in the mail Saturday or Monday.

dyieldin
05-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I would like to ask why, why you want these reviews and want them in that particular format. What are you up to? Maybe you do not want to share now, maybe when we are done.

Emjaysmash
05-27-2010, 10:39 PM
nicely done, Todd!

fissure
05-28-2010, 05:10 AM
And we have our three contestants.

If you could each PM me your addys, I'll get the sticks out to you.

Thanks Todd, very gracious of you:tu

RevSmoke
05-28-2010, 05:58 AM
I would like to ask why, why you want these reviews and want them in that particular format. What are you up to? Maybe you do not want to share now, maybe when we are done.

If you don't want to do them, that's fine. I would be glad to find another volunteer if you feel uncomfortable doing them.

dyieldin
05-28-2010, 08:08 AM
No, not at all uncomfortable, just curious. I'm in.

RevSmoke
05-28-2010, 09:49 AM

Why do I want the reviews? does there have to be a reason? I'm a pastor, not a cigar vendor. I enjoy the CA forum and the people here. It is things like this which make if fun to come back and read stuff, to follow a challenge and see how other people's palates discern things and how they appreciate a fine cigar. And, I like to challenge people to think about what they are smoking. These will be cigars out of my humidor, cigars I enjoy - some from a bit of everywhere and from different bands of the spectrum.

It is also my hope that by doing a blind review, the reviewers will sample the cigars w/out prejudice. Sometimes a band, showing the marca of the cigar, can skew a review even before it is begun.

As for the format? It is a format I use, and I think it allows someone to judge a cigar on the total experience. These are all factors that some take into consideration when picking their smoke.

I hadn't thought about the reasons, but...
1) This is an excuse for me to bomb someone with cigars without repurcussion. :D

2) It is an opportunity to allow someone to do a review and really think about what they are smoking.

3) My tastes are not the same as everybody else's, and different reviews give a different slant on different sticks - I'd like to see what people think of what I enjoy.

colinb913
05-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Sounds like a great thing ya got goin Rev.

dyieldin
05-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Rev, you're reasons are very admirable. I am happy do this. Thanks!

fissure
05-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I hadn't thought about the reasons, but...
1) This is an excuse for me to bomb someone with cigars without repurcussion. :D

2) It is an opportunity to allow someone to do a review and really think about what they are smoking.

3) My tastes are not the same as everybody else's, and different reviews give a different slant on different sticks - I'd like to see what people think of what I enjoy.

I wouldn't count on it :r:xxx

RevSmoke
05-28-2010, 08:19 PM

Now be nice.

This was actually supposed to be a scientific experiment - yeah, that's what it was.

RevSmoke
05-29-2010, 07:10 AM
A couple situations have arisen that together will delay the mailing of the samples to you reviewers.

1) I have some sticks in the freezer and I'd like them to go through the staging process before they are shipped out

2) One of the reviewers will be leaving town for a short trip, and would rather not have the cigars sitting in the heat.

So, I will be mailing out your samples on June 10

Once you receive your samples, to ensure uniformity and the scientific method - could you please smoke/review them in the following manner.

1) (most important rule first) Have fun with this! I know I'm giving you some rules, but they aren't oppressive and they are given so that the cigars are smoked in as objective a manner as possible.

2) Smoke them in order as they are numbered, and PM the reviews to me (not this thread). When I have all the reviews for a certain cigar, I will post them together - along with the naming of the cigar.

3) Smoke them as the first cigar of the day (This will ensure a clean palate for your tasting) and always with the same beverage, preferably something rather neutral (different drinks can alter different results in tasting, some beverages must be paired carefully and can often alter one's experience dramatically). Water, coffee, tea, and some others are rather neutral. It doesn't need to be those, but try to drink the same beverage -- and if you cannot, list that it was different.

4a) Use the review format in the first post.
4b) If you want to hazard a guess at what it is you have smoked, go for it.

5) Have fun with it and enjoy the cigars.

Emjaysmash
05-29-2010, 08:59 AM
:banger

Can't wait! I love these threads!

RevSmoke
05-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Jan, July, Nov

kgoings; fissure; dyieldin are the three reviewers, but I think we should get to know their tastes in cigars a little bit. This won't change what is sent to them, but knowing their tastes will lead us to see that they may or may not come to the same conclusions about these cigars.

So guys, here are a few questions to answer.

1a) My favorite wrapper is usually...
1b) but I also enjoy...
1c) and I really hate...

2a) My preferred size vitola is...
2b) but I also enjoy...
2c) and I really hate...

3a) My 5 favorite cigars (thought I don't normally spend the money on) at present are...
3b) My 5 favorite/go to cigar are...

4) 5 cigars I try to avoid (don't name ones we all avoid, but things people wouldn't expect)...

5) 5 cigars I'd like to try, but haven't are...

6) I'm hoping the Rev puts one of these in the sampler...

Thanks for your participation.

kgoings
05-29-2010, 12:42 PM
1a) My favorite wrapper is usually... Besides Cuban I love Camaroon
1b) but I also enjoy... the rest of them
1c) and I really hate... can't say I really hate any of them

2a) My preferred size vitola is... Lanceros I used to say Robusto but I am really enjoying Torps and Churchills right now...so they all are good!

2b) but I also enjoy... Ninfa's
2c) and I really hate... cant say I've had a vitola I hate

3a) My 5 favorite cigars (thought I don't normally spend the money on) at present are... I smoke pretty ordinary stuff so I buy the ones I like. Havent smoked anything super expensive or fancy.

3b) My 5 favorite/go to cigar are... Boli Corona Gigante, Boli PC, Upmann #2, LaGloria Cubana MDO #1, Upmann Mag 50

4) 5 cigars I try to avoid (don't name ones we all avoid, but things people wouldn't expect)... Tat's and Peppins, I have had some that I like but I am not super impressed with their spiciness.

5) 5 cigars I'd like to try, but haven't are... I can't really think of anything specific. sorry

6) I'm hoping the Rev puts one of these in the sampler... I'll be pleased with whatever you send!

fissure
05-29-2010, 07:00 PM
1a) My favorite wrapper is usually... Cuban
1b) but I also enjoy... sumatra, maduro, corojo
1c) and I really hate... bland

2a) My preferred size vitola is... PC or Corona

2b) but I also enjoy... Lanceros
2c) and I really hate... Big ring gauges > 50

3a) My 5 favorite cigars (thought I don't normally spend the money on) at present are... Pepins, tats, Cohiba (CC), Kristoff, San Cristobal

3b) My 5 favorite/go to cigar are... Partagas lonsdale, Hoyo du prince/du roi, Little havana overruns, LGC #1, Partagas millie fleur

4) 5 cigars I try to avoid (don't name ones we all avoid, but things people wouldn't expect)... Punch CC's, Bolivar CC's (haven't found one that has wowed me yet), Older RyJ CC's (like the fresher taste in the RyJ's), Tat LE's, Fuente (almost all)

5) 5 cigars I'd like to try, but haven't are... 1980's davidoff:D, Cohiba Behike, other lanceros that I haven't tried, a good punch or boli, NC Davidoff

6) I'm hoping the Rev puts one of these in the sampler... 80's davidoff;) Seriously, I know I'll be happy with whatever is sent:banger

RevSmoke
05-29-2010, 08:06 PM
1a) My favorite wrapper is usually... Besides Cuban I love Camaroon
1b) but I also enjoy... the rest of them
1c) and I really hate... can't say I really hate any of them

2a) My preferred size vitola is... Lanceros I used to say Robusto but I am really enjoying Torps and Churchills right now...so they all are good!

2b) but I also enjoy... Ninfa's
2c) and I really hate... cant say I've had a vitola I hate

3a) My 5 favorite cigars (thought I don't normally spend the money on) at present are... I smoke pretty ordinary stuff so I buy the ones I like. Havent smoked anything super expensive or fancy.

3b) My 5 favorite/go to cigar are... Boli Corona Gigante, Boli PC, Upmann #2, LaGloria Cubana MDO #1, Upmann Mag 50

4) 5 cigars I try to avoid (don't name ones we all avoid, but things people wouldn't expect)... Tat's and Peppins, I have had some that I like but I am not super impressed with their spiciness.

5) 5 cigars I'd like to try, but haven't are... I can't really think of anything specific. sorry

6) I'm hoping the Rev puts one of these in the sampler... I'll be pleased with whatever you send!

1a) My favorite wrapper is usually... Cuban
1b) but I also enjoy... sumatra, maduro, corojo
1c) and I really hate... bland

2a) My preferred size vitola is... PC or Corona

2b) but I also enjoy... Lanceros
2c) and I really hate... Big ring gauges > 50

3a) My 5 favorite cigars (thought I don't normally spend the money on) at present are... Pepins, tats, Cohiba (CC), Kristoff, San Cristobal

3b) My 5 favorite/go to cigar are... Partagas lonsdale, Hoyo du prince/du roi, Little havana overruns, LGC #1, Partagas millie fleur

4) 5 cigars I try to avoid (don't name ones we all avoid, but things people wouldn't expect)... Punch CC's, Bolivar CC's (haven't found one that has wowed me yet), Older RyJ CC's (like the fresher taste in the RyJ's), Tat LE's, Fuente (almost all)

5) 5 cigars I'd like to try, but haven't are... 1980's davidoff:D, Cohiba Behike, other lanceros that I haven't tried, a good punch or boli, NC Davidoff

6) I'm hoping the Rev puts one of these in the sampler... 80's davidoff;) Seriously, I know I'll be happy with whatever is sent:banger

Thanks guys for playing. I am not doing this to figure out what I am sending - you are getting what you are getting. Free cigars are always wonderful, but the goal of question #6 isn't to see if you'll be happy with what you get, nor is it a chance for modesty. It is an opportunity for me to see what your "dream" cigar would be - 80's Davidoff - cool. If you get one, send it to me. :=:

It is truly fun to see what you like. From what you two have written, I think you will enjoy the selections I am sending you.

This is really looking to be fun.

brigey57
05-29-2010, 10:12 PM
This sounds like fun.

Would you be willing to share the cigars that were blind tested and give us the reviews?

It help decide whether I would like to try something new or different from what I have smoked in the past. Plus I can decide if my likes/dislikes align with the reviewers.

Thanks for your project.:tu

Thanks guys for playing. I am not doing this to figure out what I am sending - you are getting what you are getting. Free cigars are always wonderful, but the goal of question #6 isn't to see if you'll be happy with what you get, nor is it a chance for modesty. It is an opportunity for me to see what your "dream" cigar would be - 80's Davidoff - cool. If you get one, send it to me. :=:

It is truly fun to see what you like. From what you two have written, I think you will enjoy the selections I am sending you.

This is really looking to be fun.

Emjaysmash
05-29-2010, 10:42 PM
This sounds like fun.

Would you be willing to share the cigars that were blind tested and give us the reviews?

It help decide whether I would like to try something new or different from what I have smoked in the past. Plus I can decide if my likes/dislikes align with the reviewers.

Yeah, Im pretty sure Todd is only having the reviews sent to him so he can post them in a coherent style. He's going to post all of the reviews, then reveal what they smoked.

RevSmoke
05-30-2010, 06:26 AM
This sounds like fun.

Yeah, Im pretty sure Todd is only having the reviews sent to him so he can post them in a coherent style. He's going to post all of the reviews, then reveal what they smoked.

MJ is very, very close. The only reason that the reviews will be sent to me is so that I can post them all together and then reveal what that particular cigar is. They will be getting instructions to smoke the cigars in specific order, and then I can post their reviews together.

That raises another question for the reviewers.
How many cigars do you smoke per day and/or week?

I am not wanting these to be the only cigars you smoke, so I am thinking that maybe we can get one review a week? Or maybe one every two weeks?

I smoke 4-7 a week, usually closer to 4. When I reveiwed for SMOKE, I never had a chance to have a cigar for me. While reviewing is fun, when I sit down with a couple friends to have a pint of porter, I want a cigar that will pair with that. Smoking cigars blind can be a crap shoot in that regard - you can end up with a great cigar and a great beer - but the just don't go well together.

kgoings
05-30-2010, 12:52 PM
I rarely smoke more than one a day. And I usually smoke at least 2 a week. But I am on sabbatical so I figure I will smoke quite a bit more. I am okay with one a week.

fissure
05-30-2010, 05:48 PM
Depends on the weather for me, but usually 3-4 a week in the summer. So 1 a week will be very doable:tu

whodeeni
05-31-2010, 08:52 AM
August January November!:banger

macsauce13
05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Late to the party Excel! ;)

G G
05-31-2010, 12:10 PM
neither would I.;s

whodeeni
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I see that McKenzie..... didn't hurt to try though!:r

Late to the party Excel! ;)

macsauce13
05-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Definitely not! :r

dyieldin
05-31-2010, 04:50 PM
(http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=872661#post872661)
1a) My favorite wrapper is usually... I like Camaroon or Colorado/corojo.
1b) but I also enjoy... Anything really can be enjoyed to some degree. If I had to pick I would say sumatra
1c) and I really hate... Hate is such a harsh word here. I do not hate any of them. I would say I like Oscuro the least.
2a) My preferred size vitola is... Toros have been working the best for me
2b) but I also enjoy... Robustos and torps
2c) and I really hate... Humm, hate again? Lancereo the least, seems at run hot ofter and lacks full flavor blast.
3a) My 5 favorite cigars (thought I don't normally spend the money on) at present are... anything Arturo Fuente, Graycliff 1666, Cohiba, Padron, Rocky Patel , Hoyo de Monterrey
3b) My 5 favorite/go to cigar are... I currently smoke more low end sticks due to current budget. "Everyday" aticks are 5 Vegas, Puros Indios(even like the Rolys), a Vieja Habana, Cuba Libre, Calle Ocho
4) 5 cigars I try to avoid (don't name ones we all avoid, but things people wouldn't expect)... Te-Amo, Nubs(don't hate me, I feel like I am getting ripped off)
5) 5 cigars I'd like to try, but haven't are... There are hundreds out there. And it figures I am drawing a blank right now. Liga Privada, El Baton
6) I'm hoping the Rev puts one of these in the sampler... Something the Rev smokes himself. But, I am up for trying some of the newer stuff on the market. Liga Privada, Tatuaje, Padron, Graycliff.

dyieldin
05-31-2010, 05:03 PM
MJ is very, very close. The only reason that the reviews will be sent to me is so that I can post them all together and then reveal what that particular cigar is. They will be getting instructions to smoke the cigars in specific order, and then I can post their reviews together.

That raises another question for the reviewers.
How many cigars do you smoke per day and/or week?

I am not wanting these to be the only cigars you smoke, so I am thinking that maybe we can get one review a week? Or maybe one every two weeks?

I smoke 4-7 a week, usually closer to 4. When I reveiwed for SMOKE, I never had a chance to have a cigar for me. While reviewing is fun, when I sit down with a couple friends to have a pint of porter, I want a cigar that will pair with that. Smoking cigars blind can be a crap shoot in that regard - you can end up with a great cigar and a great beer - but the just don't go well together.

I only smoke one at a time.:=:

I am on one per day but have lots of free time now and can sneak in another to help out. So I am good with whatever everyone wants to do. I vote for 1 per week as long as we can be done by December as I have to do something then.......Kidding, I'd go all year.:ss

RevSmoke
06-01-2010, 06:13 AM
I only smoke one at a time.:=:

I am on one per day but have lots of free time now and can sneak in another to help out. So I am good with whatever everyone wants to do. I vote for 1 per week as long as we can be done by December as I have to do something then.......Kidding, I'd go all year.:ss

If you smoke one a month till December, that'd be 7 sticks - I only have 5er bags, sorry to disappoint. I think reviewing one cigar a week will be good.

Thanks for the response.

RevSmoke
06-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Greetings to you all, especially you participants. I was waiting for Kirk, so that the cigars arrive after he gets back (6/10), so they are going out in today's mail.

Remember participants, the couple of rules.
1 - Have fun with this.
2 - Smoke the cigars in order, they are numbered on the 5-finger bag.
3 - Smoke these samples as your first cigar of the day (so your palate is fresh), at whatever time that may be, and always with the same beverage.
4 - PM your reviews to me, do not post them to this or any other thread, I will put them up together and also post what you have smoked.
5 - Use the review format below.

Again, have some fun with this. Hopefully you enjoy the cigars, they are all from my regular rotation or special treat stock. All have been previously frozen by yours truly, so no worries there.

Review Format
In each of the categories below rank the cigar with this system
0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, coarse, smooth, dry, light, dark, pretty, ugly, etc...

Score for aesthetics:

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots? loose?tight? dense? lightweight? Well rolled? how does it smell?

Score for Pre-light construction:

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well, does smoke pull through on its own, do soft spots appear after lighting, burnes evenly? smokes hot or cool? What is ash like? color of ash? flaky or solid?

Score for post-light construction:

4) Flavor and strength: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, med. or mild? Does it taste earthy, spicy, fruity, vegetal, sweet, rich, harsh, direct, floral, robust, woody, green (haylike), acidic, salty? Is it pleasant or unpleasant? Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it? Is it bland, flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?

Score for flavor and strength:

5) Finish/Aftertaste: Finish or aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. Is it heavy - light? Spicy, cedary, fruity, bitter, hot, grassy? Mild - strong? Pleasant or not? Harsh?

Score for aftertaste:

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? Good - bad? light or heavy? pervasive - mild? floral, perfumed, grassy, harsh, woodsy, overpowering, unpleasant, magnificent?

Score for aroma:

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? Did you particlarily enjoy of with a certain food or beverage? Did they appeal more at certain time of day? Did it remind you of something? Would you buy them? Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") and give it an overall score (this is not a total, or an average of the others - it is you overall rating of the cigar)

Overall score for the cigar:

8) Recommendation: Would you recommend the cigar? Pick one of the following and explain:

Not Recommended
Possibly Recommended
Recommended
Highly Recommended

RevSmoke
06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Sticks are on the way to our reviews.

Steve #0309 0330 000 7090 3962
Kirk #0309 0330 0000 7090 3993
David #0309 0330 0000 7090 3979

fissure
06-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks Todd:tu Looking forward to smoking some sticks that you enjoy:banger

shilala
06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
Cool idea, Todd. I just posted so I could follow the thread.
I'm excited to see how it plays out. I know you'd trick me, but I like to think I'm pretty good at picking out "what's what." I wouldn't want to go blind and spoil my overestimation of my talents. :D

RevSmoke
06-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Thanks Todd:tu Looking forward to smoking some sticks that you enjoy:banger

I am curious to see what others think of things I like.

Cool idea, Todd. I just posted so I could follow the thread.
I'm excited to see how it plays out. I know you'd trick me, but I like to think I'm pretty good at picking out "what's what." I wouldn't want to go blind and spoil my overestimation of my talents. :D

This isn't to trick anybody.

Actually, if there is any goal in this, it is to get people to smoke cigars without any presuppositions. Too often, knowing the cigar, we smoke them with preconceived notions of what we'll be getting out of it - what flavors will be present, it will smoke, strong or mild, big or small nic hit, etc...

This is an opportunity for some people to sit down with some smokes and rally taste them.

RevSmoke
06-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Looks like these should all be arriving either today or tomorrow.

Let me know when you receive them.

Salvelinus
06-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Too often, knowing the cigar, we smoke them with preconceived notions of what we'll be getting out of it - what flavors will be present, it will smoke, strong or mild, big or small nic hit, etc...

This seems to be a very true statement, with myself included. A friend recently brought me back a stick that I figured would be a dud based on band (they were trying to rip off cohiba) and price. Turns out it was a great little stick, and one I would never have picked up due to preconceived notions.

Looking forward to keeping tabs on this thread. Good luck reviewers.

RevSmoke
06-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Sticks are on the way to our reviews.

Steve #0309 0330 0000 7090 3962 Delivered, June 11, 2010, 12:26 pm, GRAND BLANC, MI 48439

Kirk #0309 0330 0000 7090 3993 Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, June 11, 2010, 9:14 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85048

David #0309 0330 0000 7090 3979 Out for Delivery or Available at PO Box, June 11, 2010, 9:18 am, PHOENIX, AZ 85040

I am excited about this. Hopefully someone will have a cigar tonight!

RevSmoke
06-11-2010, 04:11 PM
If one of you wants to post a pick of your cigars when they arrive - that's cool. Of course, you could all post a pick of your "5" cigars to review.

fissure
06-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Got mine today. Of course with inmate math 2+3 does not equal 5, it equals 6:D

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/gbsteve7/photo11.jpg

Big_Ern
06-11-2010, 07:58 PM
can't wait to read the reviews

RevSmoke
06-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Got mine today. Of course with inmate math 2+3 does not equal 5, it equals 6:D

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/gbsteve7/photo11.jpg

Just remember to smoke them in order.

RevSmoke
06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
So, did everybody get their smokes yet?

dyieldin
06-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Mine are here. Quite toasty warm when I got them, AZ sun ya know. I hope to rest them at least a few days before I start in. #5 looks to have some wrapper damage so I will leave it in the bag until ready to enjoy it.

RevSmoke
06-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Mine are here. Quite toasty warm when I got them, AZ sun ya know. I hope to rest them at least a few days before I start in. #5 looks to have some wrapper damage so I will leave it in the bag until ready to enjoy it.

Wrapper damage? That isn't good. There wasn't any when I put it in the baggie. Let me know if it is unsmokable, I'll replace it if necessary.

Peace of the Lord be wih you.

dyieldin
06-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Wrapper damage? That isn't good. There wasn't any when I put it in the baggie. Let me know if it is unsmokable, I'll replace it if necessary.

Well, it appears a part of the wrapper just flaked off, most likely due to jostling in shipping. I think it will be O.K. Do you think I should make it my first one? That way if I can not truly give it a fair review you can send another.

RevSmoke
06-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Well, it appears a part of the wrapper just flaked off, most likely due to jostling in shipping. I think it will be O.K. Do you think I should make it my first one? That way if I can not truly give it a fair review you can send another.

If you think it will be OK, then we're good. Hey part of the review could be how the wrapper is rather fragile. Let it wait till it's time. It is probably smokable.

dyieldin
06-14-2010, 01:43 PM
If you think it will be OK, then we're good. Hey part of the review could be how the wrapper is rather fragile. Let it wait till it's time. It is probably smokable.

Will do. Good point on the wrapper as part of the review.

kgoings
06-16-2010, 12:14 PM
So, did everybody get their smokes yet?

Got them :tu I will smoke #1 on Monday

RevSmoke
06-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I am excited. I have one review for the first cigar - from Fissure. So, as soon as I get the others, I can post them and tell everybody what they were smoking first.

kgoings
06-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Is the first cigar ready to be revealed?? :D

RevSmoke
06-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Is the first cigar ready to be revealed?? :D

Nope, still waiting on one reviewer.

dyieldin
06-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I did mine on Sunday but life happens and did not get to type it up. Doing it now.

RevSmoke
06-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Review of cigar #1 by Fissure:

Cigar #1 has a ring gauge of 38 while being 4.25 inches long.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/gbsteve7/DSCN0882.jpg

1. The cigar has a maduro wrapper that is nice and dark with a nice toothiness to it. Also has a few veins along with a few lumps. Kind of rustic looking.

Aesthetics score 3

2. Construction was pretty good, being densely packed with no soft spots, or any noticeable hard spots. Has a sweet earthy tobacco smell to it.

Construction Score 4

3. The cigar has no draw issues and does pull smoke through on its own. Burns easily with a nice straight burn that produces a nice solid white ash that holds on for about 2 inches. As it burns it does soften up, but not to the point of sponginess. Burns cool all the way down to the last 1/4 where it heats up a bit.

Post Light Construction Score 4.5

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/gbsteve7/DSCN0884.jpg

4. Cigar is not a very complex cigar and sticks to its original sweet, earthy, and woody flavors throughout. I would rate this cigar as a mild cigar. The nose exhale is a little harsh once and a while, but when it is not harsh, the sweetness really comes out.

Flavor and Strength Score 3.2

5. The aftertaste is mild with a pleasant sweet woody flavor. Does not really linger long after. Towards the end as it was heating up there was a slight bitterness, but I expect that with the heat up.

Aftertaste score 3

6. The aroma is really close to what it tastes like. It has the sweet woody aroma that is pretty light.

Aroma score 4

7. I enjoyed this cigar (and the rest of them) with iced tea. I would think that this cigar would be a descent morning cigar with coffee. Took me an hour, but I smoke on the slower side. No touch-ups were needed. While I enjoyed the cigar the lack of complexity caused me to score it lower overall.

Overall score 3.5

I would possibly recommend this cigar to someone else. Especially if they were looking for a nice morning to cigar to have with coffee. If the price was right this would be a good cigar for when time is short.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/gbsteve7/DSCN0887.jpg

Thanks Todd:tu I'm guessing this might be the rocky patel maduro junior due to its size and having a slight flavor of RP's other maduros that I have smoked.

RevSmoke
06-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Review #1 by Kgoings:

1) Aesthetics: Very nice looking cigar, Colorado Maduro in color. 106mm (4 1/8th) 36 gauge. The cigar has a light oily sheen, pretty smooth with one or two smaller veins. 4.5

2) Pre-light Construction: Light tobacco smell, firmly rolled with no soft spots. Seems a little dense for such a small cigar, a bit heavy. Very well rolled, prefect pre-light draw. 4.0

3) Post-light Construction: During the first third the burn was razor sharp, the ash was white and it was almost perfect ash, no cracks in the ash at all...the ash looked like a white version of the cigar. In the second and last third the burn wasn't so straight but didn't become a problem. The cigar did not ever need a touch up. The cigar smoked perfectly, neither hot nor cold. 4.5

4) Flavor and Strength: This cigar started with a very rich tobacco flavor and spice on the first puff. But after that the first thirds flavor was a dry rich tobacco. In the second third a spice that may have been there in the first third but not predominant became more noticeable. The flavors remained pretty much the same throughout the rest of the cigar. Dry rich tobacco with some spice. 3.0

5) Finish/Aftertaste: In the beginning the finish was very short and mainly tobacco. Towards the end of the first third the finish became longer and was a light spice on the back of the throat. 3.0

6) Aroma: The aroma was nice, the spice was most noticeable in the aroma. Although at a point I thought a caught a whiff or two of citrus which was a bit unexpected. I never tasted anything citrus or fruity. I expected the cigar to have more spice in the flavor based on how it smelled but it never reached that level. 3.5

7) General Comments: This cigar was well made and have a very nice flavor. Its probably not something that would make it onto my list of 'buys' but just because its not the profile I look for in a cigar. It was a nice change of pace cigar. I expected the cigar to be much spicier but it wasn't, which is a good thing. Overall score for the cigar 3.2

8) Recommendation: Possibly Recommended. This cigar had a nice flavor, and was very well made but it just didn't grab me.

RevSmoke
06-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Review #1 by dyieldin:

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar - oily, dark, pretty nice looking build, Nice brown wrapper with no major veins.

Score for aesthetics:4.6

2) Pre-light Construction: Roll cigar between fingers - soft spots?N loose?N tight?Y dense? Y lightweight? N Well rolled? Y, very. how does it smell? Has a sweet musty aged smell. I thought the draw would be a little tight but it loosened right up on lighting.

Score for Pre-light construction:4.6

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: Does it draw well - Yes, does smoke pull through on its own -Yes, do soft spots appear after lighting- No, burnes evenly? Yes, very well. smokes hot or cool? somewhere in the middle What is ash like? Nice even burn, razor sharp, made nice rings in the ash for each puff. color of ash? Was a real light grey almost white. flaky or solid? Very solid, rock hard and had to force off.

Score for post-light construction:4.8

4) Flavor and strength: What does it taste like? Full-bodied, Does it taste earthy, fruity, some what sweet, nicely rich, robust, somewhat woody. pleasant. Does it build in flavor and/or complexity as you smoke it - mildly? it is flavorful, complex? Did it get bitter?- last 1/3 did but purge helped.

Score for flavor4.4
and strength:4.7

5) Finish/Aftertaste: Finish or aftertaste is the sensation &/or flavor on you palate after each puff, not the taste left after you finish the cigar. it is heavy a little fruity, strong and Pleasant. Harsh-Sometime had a bite, a lot to do with the size and strength.

Score for aftertaste:4.2

6) Aroma: What does it smell like? is smells Good more on the light side. caught a couple of light floral hints, a note of perfume, a little woodsy in the middle.

Score for aroma:4.2

7) General Comments: Are samples consistent? - not sure what this means here.... Did it remind you of something? A.fuente. Would you buy them? Sure. Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") This is a tasty little powerhouse, very satisfying

Overall score for the cigar:4.5

Recommended - Nice rich taste but not unique enough to rate highly recommended.

RevSmoke
06-23-2010, 07:19 AM
What you smoked was a J. Fuego Delirium Minuto - 4.25X40.

Great little taste bomb for a very reasonable price, can be had for about $2.25 a stick.

Great job guys.

macsauce13
06-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Nice reviews fellas!