PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - What a waste it has become

Blueface
05-27-2010, 08:16 AM
I can't believe my wife got me to watch this mess these past two years in a row.
Twice now the wrong person won.
What the heck is wrong with those loony voting teenyboppers?

I would be a liar if I didn't think both last year's runner and up and this year's were not the "image" most expect and hence talent meant nothing. Both were so far superior to the voted winners.

Simon is not the only one leaving this show.
Won't see me watching it. Not even if the wife promises me sex.

MiamiE
05-27-2010, 08:18 AM
This show has been garbage for about 3 seasons. Carlos I'd reconsider your last statement. From one married man to another. :r

elderboy02
05-27-2010, 08:18 AM
While I wanted Crystal to win, I am fine with Lee. He is a decent singer. Crystal was the better singer by far, but you gotta remember that it is 14 year old girls voting.

fissure
05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
While I wanted Crystal to win, I am fine with Lee. He is a decent singer. Crystal was the better singer by far, but you gotta remember that it is 14 year old girls voting.

So, then you voted for Lee??:D

JaKaacH
05-27-2010, 09:00 AM

Lee is OK, but when the "records/CDs" music by both become available who will you buy..I know I will look for and buy Crystal's work before Lee.

If you like Crystal, check out Susan Tedeschi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Tedeschi

I hope Casey continues with his old school guitar and blues/rock sound..

Rap is short for crap..Greg Allman

rack04
05-27-2010, 09:04 AM
Lee is OK, but when the "records/CDs" music by both become available who will you buy.

Neither. Which is the reason why the past 3 years has sucked. I wouldn't spend any money listening to the winners.

Rap is short for crap..Greg Allman

100% Agree!

mosesbotbol
05-27-2010, 09:07 AM
As soon as my girl from the Cape was booted, my interest faded very quickly. The talent this year is ho hum. They need more Adam Lamberts, not dirty hippie chicks.

icantbejon
05-27-2010, 09:08 AM
This show has been garbage for about 3 seasons. Carlos I'd reconsider your last statement. From one married man to another. :r

:tpd::tpd::tpd::tpd:

I completely agree....on every point made above. The last two seasons have really sucked because Kara and the loss of Paula. That change in dynamic ruined the show for me. Additionally, the talent has seemed a bit sketchy for the past few years. Outside of Adam last year, I don't remember being blown away by any of them. This year, none of the contestants really moved me at all, including Crystal. Moving forward, without Simon, I will not watch this show at all. I only caught a handful of shows this year.

icehog3
05-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Lee is from the area I live and work in. The local paper (not a small paper) has done nothing but 2-3 "Lee" articles a day the past several weeks. He is being lauded as a "hero". Are you fugging kidding me?

Guy might have a good voice, but he was a problem guy who was kicked out of high school for assaulting a teacher. Dropped out of the alternative high school they sent him to. His family was reportedly nothing but trouble for local police, but the town (Mt. Prospect, IL) spends hundreds of thousands of dollars on a "hometown celebration" for thr AI cameras and give him the key to the city. Bigger celebration than they ever gave any returning veterans. They asked his high school principal to speak at the celebration in front ot 20,000+ idiots at Arlington Park Racetrack....to his credit, the prinicpal balked at the chance to be seen lauding Lee on AI, instead telling them "I would have nothing good to say...he was nothing but a problem for us".

Enjoy your 15 minutes, Lee....I see you headling at the Tick Tock Inn in a couple years.

/end rant

elderboy02
05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Tell us how you really feel Tom :r

I definitely see your point though. Veterans are heroes, not singers.

icehog3
05-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Tell us how you really feel Tom :r

I definitely see your point though. Veterans are heroes, not singers.

Sorry, Dan....I am just a little sick of having this guy jammed down our throats the last couple months, when most people have no idea (nor even care) of his background. ;s

mithrilG60
05-27-2010, 10:18 AM
This show has been garbage for about 9 seasons. Carlos I'd reconsider your last statement. From one married man to another. :r

Fixed it for you ;) And no sex in the world comes even close to being worth the pain of having to watch such drivel.

The only part of this show that has ever been even remotely interesting is the auditions.... and only then because of the nut jobs and sideshow freaks that come out for their 15min of fame. To be fair though it's not just American Idol, my statement applies equally to all the "talent" search reality variety shows including American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, whatever that thing with David Hasslehoff is, etc.

Hopefully with Simon Cowel leaving the "Idol Phenomenon" will die the quick death it should have about 8 years ago.

Blueface
05-27-2010, 02:16 PM

Yeah, but this married man has been at it for 28 years.
I'm tired.:r

Aside from that, trust me, this show is not worth watching for sex.
I'd abstain first.:r

neoflex
05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm just amazed that you guys can even stomach that show. I would rather poke my eyeballs out with a dull and rusty knife. :D

The Poet
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I'm just amazed that you guys can even stomach that show. I would rather poke my eyeballs out with a dull and rusty knife. :D

There it is, and so it goes for all this "reality" garbage. But to my mind the mentality of those who watch is not the worst of the problem; rather, it is the participants who are hoping to get something for nothing, without working for it. In the case of Idol specifically, these kids (and not always kids either) want to go from unknown to famous in 6 weeks. Time was that an artist, in music or whatever, had to toil for years to hone the craft and establish a reputation and a following. Now they expect to "win" a contract based as much on a personality contest as for any ability they may have.

This whole "reality" fad is nought but a scam run upon a guileless populace for the sole purpose of saving the networks money. The studios do not need to pay actors or writers, and production costs are much less than that of a scripted show.

It has been nearly 50 years since Newton Minow declared TV was a "vast wasteland", and even longer since Frank Lloyd Wright called it "chewing gum for the eyes". I wonder what they'd say today.

Eleven
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I hope I don't piss off too many people, but Reality TV is one of the biggest things wrong with America today.

Kreth
05-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I hope I don't piss off too many people, but Reality TV is one of the biggest things wrong with America today.
:tpd: Except for Gordon Ramsay... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

mithrilG60
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
There it is, and so it goes for all this "reality" garbage. But to my mind the mentality of those who watch is not the worst of the problem; rather, it is the participants who are hoping to get something for nothing, without working for it. In the case of Idol specifically, these kids (and not always kids either) want to go from unknown to famous in 6 weeks. Time was that an artist, in music or whatever, had to toil for years to hone the craft and establish a reputation and a following. Now they expect to "win" a contract based as much on a personality contest as for any ability they may have.

Thing is, in almost every case they get what they paid for. Most of the Idol winners and about 99% of the other contestants are effectively career dead by the time the closing credits on rolling over the winner's celebration. What is it, 2 or 3 people that have actually fashioned successful careers out of their time on the show? For those people Idol was a great boost, but they had the talent and work ethic to make it on their own anyways.

I'd agree that reality TV is one of the worst things to have happened, and not just to the US, in a very long time. It takes a lot of work to completely dumb down something called an idiot box, but reality tv's managed to do it. But hey, if keeping the drooling masses on their sofa's and glued to the screen is what makes the studio's money you can bet they'll do it!

Blindjimme
05-27-2010, 03:17 PM
I won't dignify that show by posting in this thread.

The Poet
05-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I won't dignify that show by posting in this thread.

That's what I said, save with more verbosity. :r

marge796
05-27-2010, 03:38 PM
If the wife were to promise me sex I would try out for the damn show!!!

:r

Chris.....

jonharky
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
the thing with reality shows is that it is cheaper for the networks than to have a show like 24 or something like that that is why 24 is gone and they AI is still here

kelmac07
05-27-2010, 04:32 PM
While I too wanted Cyrstal to win...they marketed Lee just a tad more. You could tell about a month ago they wanted him to win. :td :td Not ot take anything away from him as he can sing. I will buy Crystals' album first.

JaKaacH
05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
That's what I said, save with more verbosity. :r

What's verbosity mean? I'm so dumb because I watch TV...:=:

hotreds
05-27-2010, 06:06 PM
"has become???!!!"

MedicCook
05-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Crystal was my winner.

MarkinAZ
05-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Waiting for Crystals CD myself. Hot voice:tu

Won't see me watching it. Not even if the wife promises me sex...

Even if she brings a second woman in the mix?;):D

Scottw
05-27-2010, 10:17 PM
Guys, at the end of the day, DARRELL is the American Idol, Simon would agree.

captain53
05-28-2010, 08:36 AM
IMHO - whole thing is rigged.:td Anyway this year there was a total lack of talent but from the choices given I would definitely go with Crystal. There is a big advantage to 2nd place though - you do not owe your soul to Simon Cowl and more often than not the 2nd place finisher has done better in the long term.

stevieray
05-29-2010, 08:35 PM
The only thing good about American Idol is that it keeps my wife busy watching the TV while I go outside and smoke a fine cigar. :D

kiwi michelle
05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Mamasox rocks!! Lee was just a little mediocre for me. Loved Adam last year and thought that Sioban was going to grew instead of putter out this year. Gonna miss Simon as his comments were another highlight of the show.

Jeez Tom - AI never mentioned what an asspain Lee was (like they would) and certainly puts things into perspective what you say about him getting the key to the city when vets don't. That really sucks!

What am I gonna do with my Friday night now that it has finished..........:)

p.s. Carlos you are a crackup - say Kia Ora to that sexy wife of yours from me

Starscream
06-02-2010, 08:46 AM
The only season I liked was the one with Daughtry. I only watched it b/c of Bucky Covington. He went to Elementary School with me.

icehog3
06-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Before the "American Idol" finale aired, Lee DeWyze was declared by some as the best thing ever for Mount Prospect.

Yet, his success also was expensive for Mount Prospect. It cost the village about $40,000 to throw its native son a parade May 14 and a viewing party a week-and-a-half later.

Village Manager Mike Janonis said it wasn't something officials could plan ahead for. "We didn't plan for it, we didn't ask for it and we couldn't stop it," he said

God, has it been 15 minutes yet? :rolleyes: