PDA

View Full Version : Questions about setting goals for therapy/saddle chairs - 2 ?s

kzm007
05-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I recently had a baclofen pump installed to combat the rigidity of muscle tone and the spasticity of my leg muscles due to cerebral palsy.

Basically, what it entails is the insertion of a metal canister the size of a tobacco snuff can/hockey puck in my lower abdomen. Usually then go under the skin only, through the fat and the muscle, but due to my size, they went under the skin, fat, muscle, and fascia (fibrous tissue surrounding the the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels of the body.), between the muscle and the fascia, to allow for more protection and strength.

In this puck is medicine known as baclofen, which is an anti-spasmodic, preventing muscle contractions and spasms. It runs from the pump, through a catheter to the base of the spinal column, and deposits a drop or two of the medicien every day or so, maybe a drop more, depending on my need. Morphine is also able to be used for pain, as are a few other drugs, depending on each patient's necessity, and the spinal fluid is known as the intrathecal fluid; therefore the process is called 'intrathecal drug therapy - in my case, ITB or intrathecal baclofen therapy.

Due to the rigidity of my legs, I always walked on my toes, never on my heels. This led to blisters, corns, bunions, and living hell for me. After the operation, I'd say I'm 98% or 99% on my heels, and I can straighten both legs when I stand. I crouch when I walk due to the weakness, but physical therapy will help all of this.

I also have to eventually get my toes straightened; my first two cross over each other, big over little (hammer-toe) and offhand, I think my last two may do it as well, either on one foot, or both. The pressure of toe-walking as it is called has exacerbated and aided my foot issues due to this.

Finally, my questions; could I get a PM from a few physical therapists, as well as occupational please? I would like some help in drafting a goal sheet for any upcoming therapies, and think it would be beneficial to work with someone in the know about these things, and about working with patients with disabilities (I've got very mild scoliosis as well as mild spastic diplegia cerebral palsy.)

Also, is there anyone out there who can vouch for the Salli saddle chair in regards to aiding better posture and alleviating lower back pain? I'm looking to be prescribed one when I request it, but some honest feedback would be nice.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this, and any possible help you can give.

Kegan