PDA

View Full Version : Newb review- Cain Habano 550 (the smaller one)

gijoey959
05-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Here is my newbie review of a Cain Habano cigar from the box I bought during the Cain F tour. This is the tl;dr version derived from my notes I took during the smoke, I'll post the full thing next post

I don't know when these cigars were rolled, but I bought them April 22nd and let them sit, so they can't be insanely new 0_o I've smoked most of the box, and have come to expect certain things from the cigar by now, but I never really stopped to taste it carefully, so I will try to be as accurate with the taste as possible. I light it using the toasting method here
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1906
but I used a standard bic lighter. I don't have a cutter, so I cut the wrapper off at the cap and exposed the end of the tobacco instead of clipping the end. A pre-light draw gave a 100% match with bran flakes, and the resistance was good. it was very windy, and you'll see how that comes into effect later.

1/3
I finished letting the cigar settle after the toasting and I puffed a few times, nothing but wood and tobacco flavor, that's about all that happened this third

2/3
early on in this third, wood took a step back and let spice start to creep in, I can't say what spice, maybe white pepper, but I've never tasted white pepper. As I went deeper in, both the wood and tobacco taste got more subtle and gave way to creamy feeling medium thick smoke and spice with a hint of herby grass. the wind caused the cigar to burn very un-evenly, so I evened it out, and the wind proceeded to put it out, so I re-lit the thing plain ol' draw and light style and went on my way.

3/3
Cigar body getting soft, smoke is really creamy now, but still medium thickness. I can't let it sit in this wind for longer than 30 seconds or it will go out, but I managed to keep the smoke cool. Major leather taste in this third, some hints of un-brewed coffee and licorice, but grass and leather is mainly what I taste. I did find a major vein in the end of the cigar, and I pulled it out revealing that it was about 3 inches long and about as thick as a twig on a young tree, it really loosened up the smoke, but I managed to keep the flavor the same at the end

When all is said and done, still one of my favorite smokes, you do get better, creamier ones every once and a while, but this is a good example of the average I found in my box.

gijoey959
05-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Don't know how old, purchased box april 22nd has been in 60 humidor since. No cutter, cut cap off with knife. Lit with standard bic lighter, toasted like website said. Windy outside. Good draw, needs 2-3 puffs before enough smoke to taste was achieved. Burned semi even, had a few waves here and there. Was drinking water. Ash holds on for about 1/2 inch on average. Had about half the box before this, so I know what to expect. Medium smoke on thickness scale.

Appearance
Some veins but nothing major, nice mocha colored brown, not very oily, pre light draw tastes exactly like bran flakes

1st 1/3
Woody taste, struggled to taste something else, but its just wood and tobacco
2/3
More tobacco less wood, spice picking up early. Deeper in, its spice and tobacco with a presence more than taste of wood, developed a dip where 1 half the cigar is ash and the other isn't width wise, which I suspect is the culprit of the ashy taste. Evened it up and waited for the cigar to settle, and it promptly went out, which I attribute to the wind. At this point, I said FTS and lit it my usual draw and light cigarette style and resumed my now even cigar. And made it taste like heavy spice, with W&T in the background. Smoke starting to get a little creamy at the end of this 3rd. Stopped to type notes and it nearly went out, definately the wind. Also noticed it was the same un even characteristics on the wind side

Final 3rd
Creamy smoke, strong spice, hint of unbrewed coffee also a little floral, evening it out by alternating sides that face the wind, also working hard to keep it lit yet keep the smoke cool, body feeking soft, like a very hard sponge. Ash holding on for about an inch as opposed to the usual 3/4 as seen early on, wind is definately a factor in this though. Slight burn popcorn taste creeping in but its pleasant, not offensive at all. A taste I find in most nicaruaguan cigars I've had. Cream and grass setting in as I get deeper into the begining of this third, along with the woody burnt popcorn, smoke same thickness. Picked a pretty thick stem out of the cap end that came loose, probably would have been cut out if I had cutter though. Grass is getting an herby edge to it. Just picked out a 2.5" thick stem, loosedned up smoke a considerable amount, almost no effort on draw, taste improved, I like a heartier draw than this though. A lot of leather taste now that stem removed. Very spicy now, leading me to believe this to be a 2009 made cigar, its a young cigar kind of spice. Taste primarily leather in this last half of the 3rd, some spice, as in the spice cooled down, going to let the smoke settle and see what happens. Body very squishy now, probably due to thick stem removal. Let settle, cool creamy leather taste, leather is definately the main flavor here, spice is accompanied, possibly white pepper? Don't know what white pepper tastes like. Has a very faint coffee and tobacco taste in final stage before nub, ash holds on for 1 inch. Full on leather taste, some grass but leather is the final verdict this third. Starting to feel nicotine buzz, nothing serious just light head. Some licorice, but could be from not drinking water for the past 30 minutes, definately not sweeet though.

Nub
Can't let it sit for >30 sec. Smoke gets weak. Leather almost gone, spice is primary flavor, some grassy herb flavor, but spicy as can be. Licorice pops up and goes away, semi sweet, also, smoke is hot.

note to self, buy 2 sticks of each new kind from now on, reviewing is balls in relaxation terms, more like a chore to taste this stuff

elderboy02
05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the review. I like this cigar.

KenyanSandBoa
05-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Nice review...thanks!!

P.S....love the "note to self" section. :D

gijoey959
05-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks

lol, Its true though, I was like "yay, smoke! oh wait..."

KenyanSandBoa
05-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks

lol, Its true though, I was like "yay, smoke! oh wait..."

I'm with you there...I've had completely different experiences with certain cigars depending on how much attention I'm putting into it. I've noticed if I'm frequently distracted I never pick up on the true complexities of the cigar, versus when it's just me, or me and my better half, we can usually just sit and enjoy each others company and I really get the full appreciation of that smoke.

Brutus2600
05-24-2010, 10:22 AM
I light it using the toasting method here
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1906
but I used a standard bic lighter. I don't have a cutter, so I cut the wrapper off at the cap and exposed the end of the tobacco instead of clipping the end.

Do yourself a favor and head over to this thread (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31951) and put your name on the list. PM N2Adventure for pricing, but it's definitely a good deal. I've definitely done myself a disservice by not purchasing a nice cutter earlier in my smoking hobby.

As far as lighters, you can pick up a decent torch lighter for $10-20 bucks, and those are worth it too.

Both of these purchases are ones that will enhance your cigar smoking significantly and will last you a very long time :)

note to self, buy 2 sticks of each new kind from now on, reviewing is balls in relaxation terms, more like a chore to taste this stuff

Lol...that's exactly how I felt the first time I sat down with the intention to review a cigar. I usually watch a movie or play poker while I'm smoking a cigar and instead I found myself constantly opening up my text document taking notes and overly concentrating on the cigar. I think if you smoke alot of one cigar you should sit down and really taste the cigar, and after that just be able to easily pick up on what you tasted the first time. However I won't be trying to review every cigar I smoke, like you said, this isn't supposed to be a chore, it's an enjoyable relaxing hobby! :tu

jimmyk26
05-24-2010, 10:33 AM
I have been enjoying the Cain Habanos and Cain Fs a lot lately. The 550 is my favorite size, have you smoked any other sizes? Thanks for the review.

gijoey959
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Yeah, I'm a huge fan of the 660, but I like big ring gauges in most cigars, not to say the 550 is too small, but I enjoy the novelty of the big cigar

I'm pretty broke or I'd get in on the group buy :( I'll be sure to try and buy one soon though, I've been looking around, I'm also working on a torch lighter, but since I've got a ton of bic lighters, I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for the advice though!

Brutus2600
05-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Shoot me your address, I have some cheap decent double guillotine cutters I could send you :) I've used this style for years and they work just fine

kelmac07
05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Damn fine review. :tu

gijoey959
05-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Brutus, PM inbound

Thanks, its my first review, so I think it went well, I've read some and picked up some things I'd put into the next one, so a compliment like yours is great for my ego, and I'm definately gonna try to make my next one even better