PDA

View Full Version : Tips, Tricks and how to on bass fishing

DPD6030
05-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Since I'm just really getting into bass fishing I thought I'd ask some more seasoned veterans on the tips, tricks, and how-to. I belong to the NAFC and have looked online quite a lot. I figure tips from BOTL/SOTLs would be better after the smoke clears. :ss

catfish2
05-22-2010, 09:22 PM
There are a lot of tip and tricks, But I think that we need to know what type or style of bass fishing your doing (i.e. type of bait, type of equipment, type of waters, and so on). Do you have any specific questions?

G G
05-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Don't get the hook caught in your ear.:tu

JaKaacH
05-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Smallmouth or Largemouth??

DPD6030
05-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Mainly large mouth.

Thanks for the tip Greg. :r

Just general tips really. I usually fish plastics and rat-l-traps, spinners ect.

chachee52
05-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Always fished small mouth when I used to fish. Found that the green/white spinners always worked for me, but I know that it has a lot to do with the water conditions. Lake Winnipesaukee is so clear that that color always seemed to work.
We also used to use a creature called (and excuse me if I butcher the spelling) a halgrimite. This things are black bugs that look like a centipede but have a pincher for a mouth. used to hook them just behind the head on a cap like a crayfish and put them in the water just about a foot off the bottom. fish went nuts for them!!!!! Be careful though they like to crawl under rocks and lodge in there if they actually spend time on the bottom. You wouldn't think that they would by looking at them. Most of the time you can re=used the bait too because it would get pushed up the line when the fish attacks it. I'm telling you sometime we'd just put the bait in the water and within 2-3 seconds have fish!!!!

Steve
05-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Don't get the hook caught in your ear.:tu

:tu:tu

(btw, I body-pierced myself with a fly yersterday...NOT recommended!)

Steve
05-23-2010, 06:27 AM
Chartreuse is a big hit with bass (usually). I mainly liked to fish structure such as downed trees, especially around point, and drop offs. Also rubber worms rigged Texas style worked slowly around structure can be productive. These days I have been doing more inshore saltwater, but have started taking my daughter bass fishing with her fly rod. Working a mouse or frog imitator over lilly pads can be exciting. I am experimenting at the tying table with small snake patterns. Way back when, I had some rubber water moccasins that I rigged weedless and swam through the lilly's. BOOM!

The biggest tip is to be there and have fun!

Tight lines!

G G
05-23-2010, 06:31 AM
:tu:tu

(btw, I body-pierced myself with a fly yersterday...NOT recommended!)
Well see I was just kidding, but it does have some merit after all.:r

TripleF
05-23-2010, 06:46 AM
In Florida we fish in 4 to 6 foot bowls so not much I can offer here.

I do however love to start my morning, pretty much no matter where I am, with a Zoom Super Fluke in baby bass......twitch, twitch, twitch pause, twitch, twitch........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kXansgLTU&feature=related

Then when that action calms down I usually go to a texas rigged soft plastic of some sort with a 1/8th the 1/2 oz. sinker.

JaKaacH
05-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Mainly large mouth.

Thanks for the tip Greg. :r

Just general tips really. I usually fish plastics and rat-l-traps, spinners ect.

I was going to mention Rat L Traps, one of the best baits out there for Bass. I've also caught Walleye, Crappie, and Channel Cat on them.

When it comes to soft plastics I like to use stuff thats not seen often...Like big lizards.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=netcon-cat600385&id=0064807123890a&navCount=3&podId=0064807&parentId=cat600385&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=QL&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Bing&cm_pla=plastic%20lizards&cm_ite=netcon&rid=2146251080&hasJS=true

catfish2
05-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Don't stand up in the boat to urinate if you've had about 2 or 3 6packs.

catfish2
05-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Soft plastics is always a go to bait for me especially when nothing else works. Just remember to go slow.

Diesel Kinevel
05-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Fish cover where you can. Along banks during early season. Find docks, submerged trees etc. Fish hold on this structure to ambush baitfish as they swim by. Fish the shade lines in the water (same reason). For bass, line from 6-12 pound is what I prefer. My go to lure is a 4" senko worm in green pumpkin color rigged texas style. I also use the new Rapala Shad Rap lure with success. The easiest way to catch bass and have fun though is using the Rebel crawfish lure. Cast and retrieve, nothing more. Can catch a bunch of fish on it too. I usually tie that on for people who are new to fishing.

-Z

Bruins Fan
05-23-2010, 08:20 AM
First... you need to get a shirt like the Nascar drivers wear.
Second ... you got to say that's a biggun after every fish :r:D
Third ...my favorite way is throwing poppers from a tin boat around lilly pads :tu

Steve
05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Don't stand up in the boat to urinate if you've had about 2 or 3 6packs.

:tpd: :D

Steve
05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
First... you need to get a shirt like the Nascar drivers wear.
Second ... you got to say that's a biggun after every fish :r:D
Third ...my favorite way is throwing poppers from a tin boat around lilly pads :tu

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

Salvelinus
05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Take that red bag of worms you took in the outdoorsman pass and carolina rig them. That is my go to worm when I can't get a thing on the fly rod and need to convince myself there are in fact bass in the water I am fishing. I love actively fishing with crankbaits and topwaters, but you can't beat a slowly fished worm. SLOOOOOOWWWWWLLLLLYYYY.

DPD6030
05-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I took the green worms not red ones :(

Salvelinus
05-23-2010, 12:43 PM
I meant the red bag (zoom) as opposed to what commonly are referred to as the yellow bag (berkley). Both make good plastics, I just tend to always buy zooms. Especially those finesse worms, and the trick worms are awesome too.

jjirons69
05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
My favorite is structure and plastic worms. Texas rig with worms that compliment the water you're in.

Sailchaser
05-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Andrew I just take the cannon, mount it on the stern of the boat shot as many rounds as I can and then net my winnings.

On a seroius note

I have a few neighbors that can help you out they are very good at it and have taught me a lot

DPD6030
05-24-2010, 10:20 AM
I meant the red bag (zoom) as opposed to what commonly are referred to as the yellow bag (berkley). Both make good plastics, I just tend to always buy zooms. Especially those finesse worms, and the trick worms are awesome too.

:r yup I own a few bags of zoom salamanders and worms. Tried the finesse worm and nothing wanting to bite yesterday. Tied on a zoom frog and bingo one small bass. Only fish I caught, at least it was a good day. :tu

catfish2
05-25-2010, 06:18 PM
I took the green worms not red ones :(

I think that you've been watching too much Matrix.

RevSmoke
05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Fishing plastic is my favorite way to catch bass.

Here's my tip - slow!!! When you think you're slow enough, go slower... Especially this time of the year.

IF you can, learn to stitch retrieve, it is easy.

Peace of the Lord be with you

PS Another technique is to come on up here and we'll go out for a couple days.

Steve
05-25-2010, 09:15 PM
That sounds like your ticket Andrew!