PDA

View Full Version : Another Kristoff Maduro Review

Cigary
05-21-2010, 01:37 PM
This cigar was gifted to me by Ole Bart...and I've probably over the last couple of years started putting a lot of what he sends to me in my regular rotation.

As in all reviews this is my take on the cigar and doesn't necessarily mean this is exactly what you might get from it. I like trying cigars that are new to me and this one didn't disappoint. The great thing about this hobby is the discovery of new "talent" that is out there and never to believe 100% in the marketing ads but rather our own individual tastes. Independant reviews are things I'd rather listen to or read instead of review ads where people are paid or given tons of cigars to so that they will be endorsed by them. With that lets get down to business.

BRAND - Kristoff Maduro

SIZE - Torpedo

WRAPPER TYPE - Brazil

TYPE CUTTER - Xikar

LIGHTER -Soft Flame LGC

BEVERAGE - Amarula

APPEARANCE - Fresh, slightly oily, smooth,,,has a shaggy foot at the end

CONSTRUCTION - Slight vein, smooth

FEEL - Solid feel with just a slight spongy feel

TASTE - LIGHT UP - Has a slight chocolate almost sugar/salt taste

DRAW - As soon as I lit it up ( this cigar I kept for 2 weeks before firing it up at 65%RH) it has a tight draw. Enter Booms Draw Tool to open it up and after this
it was smooth sailing. Thank you Troy for this tool!

EVEN BURN - Good consistant burn that only had to be touched up twice with
my soft flame ( an excuse to use my new LGC/ST Dupont like lighter PING! )

TASTE 1ST THIRD - After lighting this up I noticed an immediate nice cocoa/chocolate
taste which then changed after an inch into an acidic type citrus…this went away after another inch of burning.

2ND THIRD - It settles into the main taste of sweet smooth leather with hints of spice
and what tastes like a coconut type of sweetness…not heavy but ever so slight.

LAST THIRD - This is when this cigar really starts to rock n roll with flavor. I wish that
the last third was the whole cigar as it tamed into a real complex panoply of rich
solid flavor of sweet rich tobacco.

OVERALL CHARACTER MEDIUM-

RATING 1- 20 I’d give this cigar an 18 STRENGTH 1- 10 I gave this an 8

COMMENTS - This cigar has been reviewed by others as slightly harsh at times but I
think that might be because of the slight draw issue and that tends to make you want
to draw on it more. This cigar proves to be really good if you take your time with it
and draw occasionally and keep it slow. That gives your taste buds time to enjoy the
flavor instead of forcing it to keep burning.

QUALITY - ISSUES - Just the opening draw which is quickly remedied with the draw
tool
POSITIVES- Rock solid cigar that gives the recipient lots of good flavor and enjoyment.

ripper
05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Glad you liked the Kristoff. Got more with your name on them!
Funny how that cigar accumulates more flavor in the late stages. I like how slow it burns.

Kreth
05-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Nice review. These were my favorite for a while, then I tried the Ligero Maduro. Same flavors with a little more kick.
How did you cut it? I usually just bite off the pigtail and get a decent draw, but I also keep my sticks around 60%.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cigary
05-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Nice review. These were my favorite for a while, then I tried the Ligero Maduro. Same flavors with a little more kick.
How did you cut it? I usually just bite off the pigtail and get a decent draw, but I also keep my sticks around 60%.
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting as this was the only Kristoff Cigar I have smoked. May have to give the Ligero Maduro a try as I like more kick in a cigar. I used a straight cut that was about 3/16 of an inch. I don't like taking off more than that and used a draw tool a bit later which opened it up and made the cigar even better. I really liked the pigtail on it...gives it that "old school" feel. I keep my humidor in the 65 - 67% range as anything lower is too dry for my tastes.

Does anybody else experience the last third of this cigar smoking better as I know Bart says the same thing...just something I was wondering about myself.

kelmac07
05-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Nice review...I enjoy these myself. :tu

cigarlvr
05-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Nice review always see them at the B&M and havent thought about trying them until now