PDA

View Full Version : B & M vs. Internet?

Lear31MX
05-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Hello my fellow cigar smokers. I'm new here at the asyulm, so bear with me if I don't get this right.

My question is this, I was wonding how may of you buy your sticks at your local B&M's or by the way of the intenet?

I ask this because i'm also new to smoking cigars and I have made a few friends at my B&M, but yesterday I was there talking to the owner of the store BSing about what we like and I mentioned that I had place an order for a box of Tatuaje Unicos online. Well, I could tell he was a little displaced about this. The taxes in Washington aren't the highest around, but still if I make a two hunderd doller purches I would like to save as much $ as possible.

Let me know your thoughts on this subject.:tpd:

NCRadioMan
05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

I understand his reaction as I work in a b&m. It's best to not mention internet vendors when in a b&m, imo.

:2

loki
05-21-2010, 01:35 PM
the reason he was put off with you buying online is that's money he isn't making. buy where you can afford to.

Smokin Gator
05-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

:tpd: Even though he isn't stupid!!!

I doubt I would say to anyone in a B&M that I was going to order something from an online vendor. Nothing good could come of it in most cases.:tu

T.G
05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Didn't you guys lean anything from legend? Sheez, everyone knows that internet cigars are inferior!
:lv

I kidd, I kidd...

Emjaysmash
05-21-2010, 01:50 PM
lmao, here we go again...

captain53
05-21-2010, 01:53 PM
I rarely buy at a B&M, usually just when I am traveling and decide to have a single cigar. B&M's are just too expensive. I am pretty much an internet shopper from about 3 places where I buy 5 and 10 paks on specials.

76GTFan
05-21-2010, 01:55 PM
The modern B&M has almost turned into one man/woman's lifetime dream of having the shop. I really don't see how the profit is there. I make purchases to my local out of respect, but would never buy bulk there. No offense, but money is money. There are also a large percentage of smokers who truly aren't familiar with online vendors, and could probably care less. There is a market for B&M owners, but it doesn't include me.

Lear31MX
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Wow, thanks for all the great replies. I'm kind of the same thought, i'll buy sigles at the B&M and boxes from the internet. BUt I do enjoy walking in to that big humi and picking up new stick to give them a try or just to satifiy my cavings that day. aslo enjoy talking and meeting new people there and learning about new cigars and getting some go suggestions. Your right althought money is money.

Kreth
05-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Kreth is of the opinion that sticks obtained from an online vendor are of lesser quality, no more than a 40 on the Kreth rating scale.

:r
Posted via Mobile Device

Starz26
05-21-2010, 02:23 PM
While I buy a lot of cigars online, I tend to buy just as many at the B&M (just not a crazy prices). Developing relationships with vendors helps one to get in on limited and HTF releases. I have one vendor that gets a shipment of Opus in and will sell it all to me if I would like...try that from an online source.

More and more cigars are also B&M only. Build relationships with your local B&M and the prices they are willing to sell to you can be competitive with online prices.

Plus, its a great place to meet people!

Dark Jester
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

I understand his reaction as I work in a b&m. It's best to not mention internet vendors when in a b&m, imo.

Even singles you can save money online by finding sampler packs and such.

As far as discussing buying online while at a local shop, I wouldn't if the local shop carries the same thing you bought. If they don't carry it though, I don't see the harm. They wouldn't have made the sale either way. Might be able to turn it into a conversation on whether they could get that cigar for you. Still might keep it to myself though just to avoid the possible strain it might put on the conversation.

Most of them can't compete with the buying power of the online shops (Unless they belong to a big chain), and they don't like being reminded of it. For example, I can get a 5-pack of RP Olde World Reserve for less than $25 online. They're $9.70 each at my local shop.

Local shop has a few things going for it though. More personal interaction; you can actually talk to someone as you browse and get opinions. You can see the actual item you will be buying, not a picure that was likely touched up with Photoshop. You don't have to wait for the item to come in the mail. Instant gratification. :) No Shipping Costs.

klipsch
05-21-2010, 02:41 PM
There are alot of online retailers that are B&M's as well. They're just B&M's somewhere else. I support everybody I can...but the retailers that are members on the forums will go out of their way to take care of fellow BOTL's. :tu

The Poet
05-21-2010, 02:44 PM
My nearest B&M of any note is JRs in Whippany, which is where I order virtually all my cigars online. They don't have a problem with me there, at all. :r

Goldie
05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Singles - B&M
Boxes (When ever it is that I get to buy one) - Internets.

Also Anthony, check out my contest (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=865648#post865648) if you 4 months or less experience with smoking cigars. You might win yourself some freebies.

wolfandwhisky
05-21-2010, 03:07 PM
While I buy a lot of cigars online, I tend to buy just as many at the B&M (just not a crazy prices). Developing relationships with vendors helps one to get in on limited and HTF releases. I have one vendor that gets a shipment of Opus in and will sell it all to me if I would like...try that from an online source.

More and more cigars are also B&M only. Build relationships with your local B&M and the prices they are willing to sell to you can be competitive with online prices.

Plus, its a great place to meet people!

:tpd:

It's good to have a relationship with the local B&M - best way to get Opus boxes and other HTFs.

But... for any standard issue smokes, it is hard to beat online prices. If the online is also a B&M, that's a plus.

Dark Jester
05-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Ironically, one local shops here in Reno has Opus X prices at like half of what the internet has them for. ;) $15-$20 per stick for most of the Opus X line. Seen internet prices up to $40 per stick in some cases.

Of course they limit you to 4 per visit..

Cigary
05-21-2010, 03:22 PM
As usual there will always be the discussion of B&M vs Internet cigars. I buy from both and I like B&M's for the comfort of being able to find what I want when I want it and to be able to smoke in their establishment. When I want a deal I will use Internet sources and if I know the B&M well enough I will give them first crack at supplying me with what I am looking for. If they can give me a good price and sometimes they do I will buy from the B&M. As far as which cigar tastes better from a B&M vs Internet ...they don't segregate cigars according to where they are going. A lot has to do with storage procedures and how they are kept. I like the idea of how B&M's ( good ones will store them in optimum condition) will store them in a humidified environment instead of a storage room. I understand that Internet sales warehouse their products and while they are not in the best of storage places cigars are pretty resilient and they stay in my humidor for quite some time before being smoked so they are every bit as good as any B&M.

That being said an Internet Provider cannot serve you a drink, light your cigar, bring you a cup of coffee and clip your stogie like a lot of B&M's I used to frequent did. A few in particular had some amazing cigar hostesses that made you forget you were there for cigars.

wolfandwhisky
05-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Ironically, one local shops here in Reno has Opus X prices at like half of what the internet has them for. ;) $15-$20 per stick for most of the Opus X line. Seen internet prices up to $40 per stick in some cases.

Of course they limit you to 4 per visit..

Authorized Opus dealers (B&M only) will sell at MSRP plus tax... you won't find that online (except maybe in rare instances).

Dark Jester
05-21-2010, 03:30 PM
Authorized Opus dealers (B&M only) will sell at MSRP plus tax... you won't find that online (except maybe in rare instances).

Didn't know that, that's pretty cool. :) I looked on the net for them a couple weeks ago and saw the avg price as $30+ each and said screw it. I was surprised to walk into the shop last week and see the whole line fresh out on display at 'half price'. :) I jumped on picking some of them up to try out.

md4958
05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
I dont mention cigars Ive purchased online in front of a B&M owner, especially if its something they carry in their store.

It would be like somebody coming into my bakery and telling me how they buy their cakes at Costco.

timo
05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
I split it about 60/40 in favor of B&M. I travel to several areas during the course of the week and like visiting local cigar shops. And you can't fondle internet cigars. There's nothing like being in a walk in with all them lovely's.

timo
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
I dont mention cigars Ive purchased online in front of a B&M owner, especially if its something they carry in their store.

It would be like somebody coming into my bakery and telling me how they buy their cakes at Costco.

The thought makes me want to puke

whodeeni
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Adam you know how to make a brotha Laugh!:r

Do tell What is on your avatar bro?

Didn't you guys lean anything from legend? Sheez, everyone knows that internet cigars are inferior!

I kidd, I kidd...

Dark Jester
05-21-2010, 04:06 PM
The thought makes me want to puke

The Costco here makes a great strawberry cheesecake. ;) That's the only type of cake I buy from them though. :)

whodeeni
05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
It's really like a slap in the face to tell a guy that works extra hard
(in a lot of cases) for his money to hear that guys are taking their
business elsewhere and they could have gotten him... :tu

Just don't do it.. Unless he pisses you off. then that's another story!:su

captain53
05-21-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't mind one bit telling them their prices are too high, if they don't like it then maybe they should lower them. It is a business and I am a customer just that simple.

md4958
05-21-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't mind one bit telling them their prices are too high, if they don't like it then maybe they should lower them. It is a business and I am a customer just that simple.

Thats easier said than done.

Most of the difference is the state and local taxes that these B&Ms have to pay. Internet based companies with the best pricing are usually found in tobacco tax friendly states.

The customer isnt always right. Somethings are better left unsaid :2

icehog3
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM

That have cakes as Costco? :D

Has anyone told Major Captain Silly?

wolfandwhisky
05-21-2010, 05:10 PM
I agree with Dave's sentiment. Sure, it is tough on the B&M owner who opened up before changes in taxes may have occured - but if you run the business, you should know the competition.

A B&M owner should know that they have to differentiate. If you charge higher prices (due to taxes or for profit), you should offer something with it.

The walk in humidor experience, clipping, a bar/lounge, eye candy...er hostesses, and maybe the inside track on HTFs, new releases, or limited events - all of this goes to justify a higher price to some buyers that otherwise would shop online.

If you don't offer any of that and try to compete on price alone, then you'll lose out on at least some business, that simple.

captain53
05-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Thats easier said than done.

Most of the difference is the state and local taxes that these B&Ms have to pay. Internet based companies with the best pricing are usually found in tobacco tax friendly states.

The customer isnt always right. Somethings are better left unsaid :2

Success in Business is largely related to location so if someone chooses to open in an overtaxed location then they made a stupid business decision. And that is BS about most of the difference being taxes, I am in a relatively low cigar tax state yet cigars i buy are more than double (sometimes 4 times higher) than I can buy for online.

SeanGAR
05-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Success in Business is largely related to location so if someone chooses to open in an overtaxed location then they made a stupid business decision. And that is BS about most of the difference being taxes, I am in a relatively low cigar tax state yet cigars i buy are more than double (sometimes 4 times higher) than I can buy for online.

So you think there should be no cigar shops in states with high cigar/sale taxes?

That's one opinion.

The price difference between B&M/Online is due to sales volume, overhead and taxes. It is rare that I have seen cigar prices in a B&M that I've thought were ridiculous. Look for rare fuentes online and you'll find ridiculous prices pretty quick.

A B&M will never get the in store sales volume of an online retailer.

The overhead/gross sales will be higher in a B&M as well.

Since B&Ms don't have the sales volume, they don't get the best price.

Most cigar shop owners I know are in the business because they love cigars. You don't respect that enough to want to spend money there, I understand, but not everybody shares your opinion. Save a few bucks online ... when your local cigar shops disappear, don't be surprised.

Jbailey
05-21-2010, 06:35 PM
It's also cheaper to drink at home.

In my mind I enjoyed hanging out at my B&M back in MI. Almost 100% of my the NC's I ever bought came from Tim's in Bay City. For me the extra change went to having a great place to smoke from the warm summer days sitting with my friends on the sidewalk to the cold @ss winters enjoying a movie or playing cards indoors. :2

There is going to be a time where the B&M's will be history.

captain53
05-21-2010, 06:44 PM
So you think there should be no cigar shops in states with high cigar/sale taxes?

That's one opinion.

The price difference between B&M/Online is due to sales volume, overhead and taxes. It is rare that I have seen cigar prices in a B&M that I've thought were ridiculous. Look for rare fuentes online and you'll find ridiculous prices pretty quick.

A B&M will never get the in store sales volume of an online retailer.

The overhead/gross sales will be higher in a B&M as well.

Since B&Ms don't have the sales volume, they don't get the best price.

Most cigar shop owners I know are in the business because they love cigars. You don't respect that enough to want to spend money there, I understand, but not everybody shares your opinion. Save a few bucks online ... when your local cigar shops disappear, don't be surprised.

I certainly respect your thoughts and preferences but believe me I want be surprised nor will I be concerned. I really could care less about why they are higher it is just the fact I do not believe in paying extra for things and it is far more than a few bucks. I call double prices rediculous, perhaps you have a higher threshold.

As to no stores in states with high taxes - makes good business sense but if they are satisfied with their revenue go for it.

Look for rare Fuentes at most B&M's and you will seldom find them.

We just have a different idea about the value of our money and where to best use it. Cigars are a hobby for me and I have close to 1000 of them at any given time which means $3-6 vs $8-20 will buy a lot of really good scotch. For those who buy a dozen or so cigars a year the B&M is probably the best way to buy them.

tedrodgerscpa
05-21-2010, 07:16 PM
+1 more for B&M support.

A lot of B&Ms locally have started serving alcoholic drinks, which contributes further to improving their bottom line.

Since I don't drink, I always purchase a cigar when I'm there for more than a few minutes. Most times it's a cigar that I wouldn't purchase online. But, as has been said many times before... It's hard to sit and smoke a cigar in an "internet".

thebayratt
05-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I buy singles at my B&M. I usually smoke one there and take about three or four home each week. They have TVs, couches, free beer/drinks. Yes FREE BEER!

I buy boxes & 5ers online; unless they are on special at the B&M and are close to online costs.

I'd rather pay a little more and have a place to sit, someone to chat with, and lets see the computer give ya a nice bottle of Stout.

TripleF
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

:tpd: Yup I work in a B&M too!

68TriShield
05-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I always support my local B&Ms with singles,and box purchases as well.
You'll never find me buying only one cigar.
I spent 60 dollars today on a whim.I should have bought 2 A.Fuente Rosados instead of one ..doh!

icehog3
05-21-2010, 10:10 PM
State after state are falling victim to smoking bans. For those of you who live in cooler climates and can't/don't smoke in your homes, some of you might be sorry when B&Ms disappear and there is no place to smoke during the winter without risking frostbite. ;)

Starz26
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
State after state are falling victim to smoking bans. For those of you who live in cooler climates and can't/don't smoke in your homes, some of you might be sorry when B&Ms disappear and there is no place to smoke during the winter without risking frostbite. ;)

Yup, already in that situation as nearest B&M is over an hour away...

As for alcohol, Ohio SUCKS!! My B&M had to stop selling alcohol (wine). can't drink and smoke in the same place ......

Vigiles
05-22-2010, 09:22 AM
I love my local B&M. Great folks there, the regulars that I talk with are great, prices are....ok. But thats not why I go.

I think I'm with most people, I'll buy boxes online and a fistful of singles at the B&M. although I have noticed a few of their products are the same or cheaper than online! How that works I have no idea. Granted MOST things are more expensive, but a few are the same or cheaper.

Addiction
05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I will only buy at a B&M if I'm smoking at a B&M. However if I find a good B&M with people I like I buy lighters, cutters, magazines, etc.

DocLogic77
05-22-2010, 09:29 AM
I only purchase singles from my local places to pay for a seat to smoke. What I buy from those places I don't smoke there...and will probably give away. But, I have places I enjoy smoking and will support that place and pay for my seat with purchases. Then I pull out what I want to smoke.

Smokin Gator
05-22-2010, 10:46 AM
As for alcohol, Ohio SUCKS!! My B&M had to stop selling alcohol (wine). can't drink and smoke in the same place ......

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard!!!

Back to your regular programing!!!

Starz26
05-22-2010, 11:25 AM
That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard!!!

Back to your regular programing!!!

Tell me about it. All bars and restaurants are smoke free...

Also, cannot smoke in a B&M unless the store is a freestanding location (unless grandfathered prior to the law)....

Skywalker
05-22-2010, 11:44 AM

Kreth is of the opinion that sticks obtained from an online vendor are of lesser quality, no more than a 40 on the Kreth rating scale.

And that's when the fight started!!!:r:r

I always support my local B&Ms with singles,and box purchases as well.
You'll never find me buying only one cigar.
I spent 60 dollars today on a whim.I should have bought 2 A.Fuente Rosados instead of one ..doh!

Nice one, Dave!!!:r:r

To answer the op: I buy at the b&m to support the b&m, and I buy online to support my hobby.

Pat1075
05-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I work at a B&M as well and I love it. Not only do we provide the upfront service of educating people about cigars or helping them choose one (should they need it). And as you all well know I do buy online from time to time mostly CC. But Up here in MN we have a rediculously high cigar tax and when those came down the pike well we had to slash our own throat. Another thing you guys need to know is that distributers aren't making life any easier lately. I mean RP and AF, Ashton and all the boutique guys are playing nice but the big branders are putting the screws to everyone in their pricing unless you want quantity that virtually no one can afford. So these are just some things you
But we're pipe guys too and well that is a whole nother thing that is starting to go away. Yeah I can buy a pipe online but I can't look for pits or fills or really inspect the grain pattern and that my friends is why we matter. And that is another place that the B&M rules overall. :2 well more like a nickel

Shadow
05-24-2010, 01:48 PM
I work at local B&M and I told the owner who is a good friend of mine that if carries it I buy from him. If he doesn't carry it I buy on-line.

Apoco
05-24-2010, 02:07 PM
I love my local B&M, and visit it once a month usually (just graduated, so I don't have the income to go to them exclusively). For the most part, I only order online at the moment. My income level requires me to save money where I can.

However, I wouldn't ever mention ordering online in the store. The only exception to this was when the store owner and I had a conversation. He asked me flat out, just trying to get a feeling for what my purchasing habits were like. Past that, I wouldn't ever ever talk about ordering online inside the store. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Volusianator
05-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Singles - B&M
Boxes - internet vendor

I understand his reaction as I work in a b&m.

Very interesting. You work in a B&M but yet advocate buying boxes online? Odd. I too work at a cigar shop and will fight to the bitter end that the days of B&M stores is going to be soon over if we continue that way of thinking. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks to help ensure that in the cold sub zero winter months in WI, I have a place to go and smoke a cigar inside.

Chris.
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I have asked a B&M owner how much he wanted for a box before and told him I was shopping around. he asked how much I found them for and I told him I found them online for such and such price. He said wow, thats about 20% off, deliberated about it for a second and offered them to me for the same price. I went for it without hesitation. Sometimes, just telling them you are looking for the best deal may provoke them into cutting you some slack or price matching so they can move some product. now, I probably wouldnt go in there and say "Man I saw this cigar way cheaper at so and so or on such and such website". That, i'm sure would piss them off.:2

76GTFan
05-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Very interesting. You work in a B&M but yet advocate buying boxes online? Odd. I too work at a cigar shop and will fight to the bitter end that the days of B&M stores is going to be soon over if we continue that way of thinking. I'd rather pay a few extra bucks to help ensure that in the cold sub zero winter months in WI, I have a place to go and smoke a cigar inside.

I would rather just smoke at a cigar friendly bar. I worked in B&M's as well and understand their pain vs. online. But here it is:

People who purchase online don't necessarily need a B&M there to tell them what to try and whatnot. I can get that information at places like CA or other review boards. I worked in a shop for 4.5 years, and most of my self obtained knowledge was from buying and learning online. Granted alot of folks on here giving the advice could be B&M owners, but then why give the knowledge online instead of your store.

I respect the store owners and try and give them as much business as is practical, but the fact is I am a consumer and will always look for the best deal/value.

My dream in later life is to open a B&M, but I will plan on having MUCH more up front capital than alot of these guys that have opened in the past 5-10 years, because I know that I will always have to compete w/ these big online vendors.:2

icehog3
05-24-2010, 03:20 PM
I would rather just smoke at a cigar friendly bar.

Not everyone has that option with state smoking bans. I know I do not.

Volusianator
05-24-2010, 03:22 PM

WI will have a state wide smoking ban starting June 7th. Finally cigarettes will NOT be allowed in the shop, and of course a "cigar friendly" bar won't be found either.

NCRadioMan
05-24-2010, 03:24 PM

I'm not advocating anything. To each his own. That is just what I do.

FWIW, the boxes I buy are ones you can't get at the store. ;)

76GTFan
05-24-2010, 03:32 PM

I can understand that. If I was on that side of the coin I may have more reason to support B&M's. Until then I will donate to lobbyists to change the tax laws. Which in turn will help out the B&M's. Which in turn, hopefully will lower their pricing.

Like I said, I will do everything I practically can to support them. I just can't afford to be a cigar smoker buying from them.

newlifetaxidermy
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I too shop both B&Ms and online retailers. Yes, the tax thing usually makes it cheaper to purchase online. However, there is a B&M in a nearby town (40 miles or so) where I have found better prices than at online shops, even with paying taxes. Its one of those places that sells cigarettes, chewing tobacco, etc. If they don't have what I want, they order it for me. There is another local B&M where I shop that is fairly pricey. However, they offer a rewards program where you can save up points and get 20% whatever you buy. It usually works out that I get the 20% deal on about every third trip. The main thing I like about this place is the selection. I can't think of a regular production line that they don't carry...Illusione, Tats, Pepins, LFDs, Viaje, and if a hot new cigar comes out, they will have it.

I have found that some B&Ms will give you a discount, but you need to be willing to make a substantial purchase and ask for it. I went in to one B&M that I only shop at once or twice a year back at Christmas. I loaded up a basket with well over $150 worth of singles. I asked the lady that checked me out if she could give me a good deal. She knocked 10% off and threw in a free Angelenos (pricey new Fuente product that goes for ~$14 per stick).

As for online purchases, I tend to stay away from "specials" at the big retailers. I have argued this before...some agree and some disagree. I feel that many times the "specials" are different than their normal production counterparts. I have experienced this with Pepin products, RP products, Alec Bradley, and others. I've had varying experiences from underfilled sticks to sticks that taste totally different than their full-priced counterparts.

captain53
05-24-2010, 04:05 PM
As for online purchases, I tend to stay away from "specials" at the big retailers. I have argued this before...some agree and some disagree. I feel that many times the "specials" are different than their normal production counterparts. I have experienced this with Pepin products, RP products, Alec Bradley, and others. I've had varying experiences from underfilled sticks to sticks that taste totally different than their full-priced counterparts.

:tf

Superbad
05-24-2010, 07:36 PM
The B&M is a mixed bag for me. When I decided to start smoking again, I went into the local B&M and the owner asked what I liked to smoke and I said Opus X, as that is what I used to smoke mostly 5+ years ago. He tried to get me to buy some of the Don Carlos Anniversary for $35 each. I passed but did pick up a pair of God of Fire Robustos, and something else he suggested. I had gone back once or twice since that, when he decided to share the good stuff with me. The Opus X were hidden in his humidor including double coronas and ***** cats.
His prices are a dollar per stick higher than the only other decent B&M within 60 miles of here, but he gets a lot of business from me. i think the least I ever spent there was about $50.00. The only bad part of this is when I want to try other cigars, he is always trying to sell me the $15.00 and up sticks. I was wanting to try the El Triunfador and Oliva V lanceros and he was pushing my towards some expensive red dot cohibas. That gets annoying sometimes, but if I don't listen to his schpiel then I don't find out about the good stuff he has hidden away.

timo
05-24-2010, 08:25 PM
I chuckled when I read that. A cigar friendly bar? That would be the local cigar lounge here. BYOB

Volusianator
05-24-2010, 11:40 PM
but if I don't listen to his schpiel then I don't find out about the good stuff he has hidden away.
That would be an issue for me. If a retailer is hoarding his "good stuff", I'd think twice about doing business with him. In addition, I'd tell him exactly that as well.

Chris.
05-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I agree. Although the only b&m near me that carries opus keeps them in a special spot that u need to know about. They don't really tell people unless they specifically ask. Prolly cuz they have purchase limits.

Volusianator
05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree. Although the only b&m near me that carries opus keeps them in a special spot that u need to know about. They don't really tell people unless they specifically ask. Prolly cuz they have purchase limits.

We put ours out on the shelves right next to the other Fuente products. A simple sign that states a limit of two per day is enough to ensure that everyone gets a chance. Well, except for our last shipment when one of our newer employees sold an entire box to one guy. I'm sure he left there thinking, "score"!

T.G
05-25-2010, 11:25 AM

http://thefuntimesguide.com/images/blogs/an-empty-toilet-tank.jpg

Word.

Chris.
05-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I don't see a problem with buying the whole box. IMO the retailer should try to push for more boxes. Sure it sucks if u dont get there in time to pick up a couple but that's life. Live and learn and bring yo ass in sooner. Lol

E-Tx Surveyor
05-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I love supporting my local economy, but the price difference between my local shop and the internet for cigars is pretty steep. I've yet to buy a box or more than 5 sticks at one time, but when it comes time I'll use the internet.

The price difference between some humidors I've seen is even more steep. The cheapest I found at my shop was north of $150.

Ahbroody
05-30-2010, 09:42 PM
I buy singles at the local B&M because I like to go there and hang out. I find it disrespectful to go to a shop and use their facility and not give them money. Its a business and if you like it you need to support it. Plain and simple if you are going to use a shop to hangout and relax buy something. To not do so is wrong. Hes not open so you can watch his tv use his leather chairs for free. If everyone or a majority of persons did this he would go out of business fast.

That said Cali taxes are crazy and I can see box, well that and the fact I only seem to buy boxes that they cant sell here. Never mention internet smokes to a owner. A shop employee maybe, depending on relationship.

MetalBender
05-30-2010, 10:09 PM
I use both. I stock up online of sticks I know I like. And I stop by most any cigar shop I come across when time allows just to take a look. I enjoy taking day trips to B&M's to find new locations and new smokes. Living a the rural midwest this can be a real adventure.

Oh and BTW in case nobody else mentioned it don't bring up ex-girlfriends around your current either, m'kay.;)

T.G
05-30-2010, 10:17 PM
I buy singles at the local B&M because I like to go there and hang out.

You must be talking about the days when Darrell isn't working.