PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else prefer soft flame?

Brad
05-15-2010, 09:59 AM
Couple weeks ago I purchased my first soft flame lighter, up until then I always used torches, and I think I actually like the soft flame better. Maybe it's my imagination, but I seem to get a better and more even burn on sticks lit with the soft flame verses a torch. Less touch ups, and less jagged on the edges of the burn line.

Maybe I just suck at lighting sticks properly. Has anyone else noticed this?

captain53
05-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Can't stand them because they don't work in the wind, otherwise would be fine as long as they are butane and not zippo fluid or something.

Brad
05-15-2010, 10:05 AM
Can't stand them because they don't work in the wind, otherwise would be fine as long as they are butane and not zippo fluid or something.

It's not a Zippo, it's an EverTorch, uses butane.

You are correct about the wind, but I've had JetLite's and my Blazer also blow out in the wind. My big gripe with torches outside is it's nearly impossible for me to see the actual flame. :(

T.G
05-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Heh.

I use a bic lighter most of the time.

md4958
05-15-2010, 10:29 AM
I like a soft flame but, since I smoke mostly outdoors, they arent very practical for me.

kydsid
05-15-2010, 10:36 AM
i have a dual action insert for my zippo. best of both worlds.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barteur
05-15-2010, 10:46 AM
I prefer Soft flame too but since I am always smoking outside most of the time its imposible to light my cigars properly with a soft flame.

Wharf Rat
05-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Got a link for this?

Volusianator
05-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I almost always use a soft flame. Indoors our out I've no problems with it, quite frankly, there's not many torches out there that are any better in the wind than most soft flames anyway.

replicant_argent
05-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Got a link for this?

http://www.stogietorch.com/Z-Torch.html

The Poet
05-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Though I smoke mainly outside, and thus use a torch most often, I have no problem with a Bic . . . and that's part of its appeal. Let's face it: a buck Bic is a more reliable source of fire than a $30 torch, all too much of the time.

ScottishSmoker
The only lighter I tend to carry is soft flame...but, I smoke mostly indoors...I like the fact that the soft flame doesn't torch everything black when lighting a cigar...plus, I fly a lot...so I have to have a soft flame. I do agree that in the wind, it is insufficient...the wind knocks it out...regardless the price paid for it. If you want to use a torch, either go with the one Pete linked, the Ever-tech, for its the best of both worlds, or the much more expensive S.T. Dupont Maxi-Jet...formerly known as the X-Tend. It has a torch flame that is softer than almost every other torch...

Wharf Rat

That's too bad. A while back, I emailed this site and tried to order a lighter. They never responded. Not gonna bother with that crap again!

And, yes, I know who you are.

mithrilG60
I like a soft flame but, since I smoke mostly outdoors, they arent very practical for me.

Me too, that's why I love my EverTorch. A mostly wind-resistent torch for the initial toasting of the foot and a soft flame for the final light.

Wolfgang
05-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Zippo blu is a softer torch and I love it and it doesn't readily get blown out in the wind.

captain53
05-15-2010, 11:39 AM
The only lighter I tend to carry is soft flame...but, I smoke mostly indoors...I like the fact that the soft flame doesn't torch everything black when lighting a cigar...plus, I fly a lot...so I have to have a soft flame. I do agree that in the wind, it is insufficient...the wind knocks it out...regardless the price paid for it. If you want to use a torch, either go with the one Pete linked, the Ever-tech, for its the best of both worlds, or the much more expensive S.T. Dupont Maxi-Jet...formerly known as the X-Tend. It has a torch flame that is softer than almost every other torch...

I have an X-tend and it is a wonderful piece of equipment!:tu

replicant_argent
05-15-2010, 11:44 AM
That's too bad. A while back, I emailed this site and tried to order a lighter. They never responded. Not gonna bother with that crap again!

I didn't get an email from you.
Did you use an underscore between "replicant" and "argent" ?
I have had that issue before, people don't see it when it is underlined.

kydsid
05-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Got a link for this?

Well FWIW I ordered mine from Pete (Replicant_Argent). He was helpful and filled my order through PM here at CA. I wouldn't hesitate to to buy another one from him should this one break or be confiscated by TSA.

mithrilG60
05-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Well FWIW I ordered mine from Pete (Replicant_Argent). He was helpful and filled my order through PM here at CA. I wouldn't hesitate to to buy another one from him should this one break or be confiscated by TSA.

x2!

Cigary
05-15-2010, 12:07 PM
I'll use a soft flame as long as a wind isn't going to ruin the lighting process. I have lighters that are soft/torch so depending on the elements I'd rather use a soft flame. I get a better taste and burn from a soft flame. Incidentally, I use the soft flame to light my cigar until it is cherry red and blow on the end of it until the burn is even and then I clip the cigar. The first few puffs are great because I don't get the usual hot draws that are typical when you clip the cigar first and then draw. Been doing this for the last few months and have been enjoying my cigars more.

Pat1075
05-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm a soft flame guy most of the time. Xikar exII for my day to day lighter. It holds up to the wind very well. and with a little practice works great for touch ups.

chris66
05-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Soft flame gets my vote. I very rarely/ never smoke outside and the torch lighters i do have seem to die quickly. I have soft flame lighters that i have had for 20 years.

KenyanSandBoa
05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Me too, that's why I love my EverTorch. A mostly wind-resistent torch for the initial toasting of the foot and a soft flame for the final light.

I'm debating on picking up one of these just that purpose. I love my torch, but I do like a soft flame for touch ups and the final light as well. I'm using two lighters now, but I would like to get the 2-in-1 dealy too.

kydsid
05-15-2010, 03:50 PM
well do take into account the z torh operates with a zippo like wheel to light the soft flame then you press a button to start the torch. if the soft flame is blown out then no torch. it can be a bit tricky in the wind to get the torch started.
Posted via Mobile Device

mithrilG60
05-15-2010, 04:57 PM
I'm debating on picking up one of these just that purpose. I love my torch, but I do like a soft flame for touch ups and the final light as well. I'm using two lighters now, but I would like to get the 2-in-1 dealy too.

I love mine, always works like a charm. The one thing I would do different is I wouldn't get one of the one's with the printed pattern on it. I'm pretty hard on finishes and mine's now looking a bit worst for wear. Cosmetically I would have been better off with the brushes finish, but ultimately that's just a minor issue.

I haven't used the Zippo insert so I can't really comment on how the two solitons compare to each other.

MichaelJ
05-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Couple weeks ago I purchased my first soft flame lighter, up until then I always used torches, and I think I actually like the soft flame better. Maybe it's my imagination, but I seem to get a better and more even burn on sticks lit with the soft flame verses a torch. Less touch ups, and less jagged on the edges of the burn line.

Maybe I just suck at lighting sticks properly. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've just made the switch too. Couldn't agree more.

OLS
05-19-2010, 09:16 AM
I like to threadjack, so I picked the proper type thread to JACK. First off, I prefer the soft flame
provided I am in a low wind sitcho. But the ligher someone was showing off in another thread, the
Ever-Torch looked like a DUAL ACTION, which sould be ideal for me.

REASON I thread jacked was this website selling butane canisters said this:

They require the highest quality butane. Anything else is just like putting diesel fuel into an F-16.
Apparently they do not know that jet fuel basically IS DIESEL fuel, lol.

T.G
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I like to threadjack, so I picked the proper type thread to JACK. First off, I prefer the soft flame
provided I am in a low wind sitcho. But the ligher someone was showing off in another thread, the
Ever-Torch looked like a DUAL ACTION, which sould be ideal for me.

REASON I thread jacked was this website selling butane canisters said this:

They require the highest quality butane. Anything else is just like putting diesel fuel into an F-16.
Apparently they do not know that jet fuel basically IS DIESEL fuel, lol.

Jet Fuel, with the partial exception of the specialty fuels burned by some experimental and very specialized aircrafts, is actually predominately kerosene.

While You can burn some jet fuel in certain diesel engines, doing it the other way around usually doesn't work out too well.

agouraman
06-27-2013, 08:44 PM
here is my thought
the burn temp of the torch is sooo much higher than the soft flame. Hence its my thought (call me mental) that the torch burns most of the oils out of the cigar when you light it. I can definitely taste the difference and so can my friends...Maybe I have turned my friends psycho?

long ashes and great clouds of smoky enjoyment to all

688sonarmen
06-27-2013, 09:46 PM
I have taken a back to basics approach as of late. Coolidors instead of a cabinet, sans hydrometer. Pocket knife instead of a cutter, and a bic lighter or matches. I realized that for me I spent a lot of money on butane and lighters because that's what I saw everyone else doing. The bic worked in the beginning and it works better for me now.

And holy thread bump!

Robulous78
06-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Where did you find this?

oooo35980
06-27-2013, 10:38 PM
I generally buy torch lighters but will use anything on hand in a pinch.

bobarian
06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Use whatever floats your boat. Fire is fire, its not like the cigar knows how its being lit. As far as the heat from a torch affecting the oils, after 1/2inch the cigar is burning on its own. How would this affect the oils? :sh

Whether its a $1 cheapie or a 1492, I've never noticed any difference in any lighting method. :2

bonjing
06-27-2013, 11:11 PM
Where did you find this?

Try here :tu

kydsid
06-28-2013, 05:20 AM
^ Ya what he said. Pete hooks me up when I need one.

Blak Smyth
06-28-2013, 06:49 AM
I prefer soft flame but it requires the perfect environment to be worth while.

shopkins82
07-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll use a soft flame on small vitolas and/or when indoors, but my only soft-flame lighter is a super-cheap Chinese Dupont knock-off... though I'm giving strong consideration to an EverTorch.

bretted432
07-03-2013, 09:08 PM
I'm definitely one for a soft flame, given the proper conditions, of course.