PDA

View Full Version : SON OF A BEEOCH! high cholesterol! damn!

e-man67
05-13-2010, 07:28 PM
So I decided to get some bloodwork done while I was at the doc..first thing they do at the dr's office if take weight..I am 6'3 221lbs..lost 9 lbs, sweet! I get a call today on the old machine that says my cholesterol is 211..144 of that is my LDL (bad cholesterol)..Dr says to lose some weight and bring that number down..son of a B...I eat a bowl of whole grain cereal every morning, eat 2-3 pieces of fruit and a freakin low fat meal for lunch, then I eat meat and lots of it for dinner! Well, maybe only a few times per week..but I eat a bunch of cheese...maybe it had something to do with the brick of goetta I ate in the past few days...I do take fish oil though. crap! I am too young for this! How did this happen? I workout! :td

kgoings
05-13-2010, 07:33 PM
So I decided to get some bloodwork done while I was at the doc..first thing they do at the dr's office if take weight..I am 6'3 221lbs..lost 9 lbs, sweet! I get a call today on the old machine that says my cholesterol is 211..144 of that is my LDL (bad cholesterol)..Dr says to lose some weight and bring that number down..son of a B...I eat a bowl of whole grain cereal every morning, eat 2-3 pieces of fruit and a freakin low fat meal for lunch, then I eat meat and lots of it for dinner! Well, maybe only a few times per week..but I eat a bunch of cheese...maybe it had something to do with the brick of goetta I ate in the past few days...I do take fish oil though. crap! I am too young for this! How did this happen? I workout! :td

Right there with you, I have delayed my 6 month follow up for two weeks. I have to take my blood work on Mon and my appt is on Thurs. Last time my cholesterol was close to 300, I have lost 35 pounds since then but we shall see. :td :td :td

e-man67
05-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Right there with you, I have delayed my 6 month follow up for two weeks. I have to take my blood work on Mon and my appt is on Thurs. Last time my cholesterol was close to 300, I have lost 35 pounds since then but we shall see. :td :td :td

Perfect freakin time too...I have bronchitis (can't smoke or breathe) and now I can't eat the things I really enjoy...wonderful

KGoings Congrats on losing weight! 35lbs is a bunch...I'll bet your numbers have improved. Good Luck bro!

smokin5
05-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I went through the same thing last year.
Skinny body, but fat blood - part of my inheritance.
I had to knock 60-80 points off my cholesterol pronto, & without statins, as I was trying to qualify for new health insurance.
Per my doctor's suggestion, I doubled up on red yeast rice pills (2 pills 2x per day), & went totally fat-free for a month. Lots of beans, veggies & rice; the only meat I ate was shrimp sauteed in oil & garlic. The result?
Knocked 120 points off my cholesterol count!
The punchline is that the insurance co. thought I must have sent in a ringer to have such a lower count, & said I had to take another test 4 weeks later.
So I continued my diet for another 4 weeks.:mad: In the interim, though, I managed to drop another 10 pounds.

Hang in there, bro - You CAN do it!!:tu

Cigary
05-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Been there doing that. Have been on statins forever it seems like. Hard to control your diet when you love food like I do. Good luck!

G G
05-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Same here, pravastatin to manage the cholesterol and lisinopril for the BP.

themoneycollector
05-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I suffer from the same problem and high BP too. I try and eat right, but just can't seem to keep it under control.

CigarNut
05-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank god for Lipitor!

Ashcan Bill
05-14-2010, 12:34 AM
Sometimes it's just hereditary. Mine was so high, my doc told me I could eat nothing but grass the rest of my life and it would still be too high. :r

I've been on statins for years now and everything is fine. I dropped 25 lbs. last year and that was enough for my dosage to be cut in half, which I was more than happy with. It's the only medication I take, so I'm not going to complain any.

macpappy
05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Sometimes it's just hereditary. Mine was so high, my doc told me I could eat nothing but grass the rest of my life and it would still be too high. :r

I've been on statins for years now and everything is fine. I dropped 25 lbs. last year and that was enough for my dosage to be cut in half, which I was more than happy with. It's the only medication I take, so I'm not going to complain any.

You're right on the money with it being hereditary sometimes. I'm one of the lucky ones. With the exception of a mild case of Type II Diabetes (controlled by a couple of pills a day) and being about 30 lbs. overweight, I'm one of those people who can eat anything and it won't affect my cholesterol. My last blood test had my total cholesterol at 146 and my BP was 122 over 78. My doctor said it must be in my genes.

SSDVC
05-14-2010, 06:49 PM
I've been lucky with cholesterol numbers. Over 50 and I am still at around 180. However, my triglycerides are around 275. I don't eat anything to justify that number and I can't get it down.

Oh well, back to my weekly cigar and Johnny Blue !! Hamburger anyone?

jjon90
05-14-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm on the fifties cocktail, Cholesterol & blood pressure meds..:tu

DrDubzz
05-14-2010, 11:41 PM

LDL of 144 isn't terrible, but there are ways to help that, obviously watching your saturated fats and cholesterol intake is a start. Exercise will also help. The fish oil is good, but that barely effects LDL if at all, it primarily acts on your triglyceride levels. If you want something non-prescription to help, Red Yeast Rice is a good option, but if you're not on a cholesterol med and are at 144, I would guess that with watching your diet a bit more you can lower it. Just avoid fast food (especially burgers and fried foods) and try to add more vegetables to fill you up, non-animal based food doesn't have cholesterol.

Blueface
05-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Hey, my combined was over 300 not too long ago.
My bad was over 220.

Today, my bad is 98 steady and combined, I am at 170.

Just took some stantins and what I truly believe to be the cure, FISH OIL.
I do 2000 mg a day.

I eat anything and everything I want, in moderation as the key.

My tri's are well in line also.

It can be done.

e-man67
05-15-2010, 05:16 AM
Yeah, I going to take fish oil and flaxseed oil more consistantly now...I have a product called Colest-off which I think is made up of plant statins (otc drug) that I took sporatically...gonna have to be more disciplined now..heart attacks kinda run in my family.

mosesbotbol
05-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Just took some stantins and what I truly believe to be the cure, FISH OIL.
I do 2000 mg a day.

I also take Fish Oil, about 1000-3000 a day depending how good I am at remembering every meal.

Also, cinamon is really good lowering cholesterol. Eat about one tablespoon a day. Add it your coffee and fruit and you'll get down one tablespoon quite easily.

shadow king
05-15-2010, 08:24 AM
So what age are you supposed to get all of this tested? And how often?

SSDVC
05-16-2010, 06:07 PM
If your insurance covers it or you can afford it, get a physical with blood work once a year. Preventive medicine is key. Spot it early and take care of business. Remember, once of prevention, yata, yata, yata.

mosesbotbol
05-17-2010, 04:46 AM
So what age are you supposed to get all of this tested? And how often?

Every year if you can. You have to start off with the first year as soon as possible to set a base line.

macpappy
05-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I also take Fish Oil, about 1000-3000 a day depending how good I am at remembering every meal.

Also, cinamon is really good lowering cholesterol. Eat about one tablespoon a day. Add it your coffee and fruit and you'll get down one tablespoon quite easily.

I sprinkle cinnamon in my oatmeal for double the effect. Oatmeal is good for you also. Just go easy on the other additives like butter and sweeteners.

kgoings
05-20-2010, 12:44 AM
My doc appt is 10am in the morning for the results, I postponed :r He told me he thinks its in my genes last time. I don't like taking meds, I don't even take asprin for headaches. Not cause I dont believe in them...just dont like meds.

I tried Fish Oil once...burped fish tasted all day :pu I HATE fish :pu

kgoings
05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
grrrrr my LDL is still too high. Says he wants me to lose more weight and start taking fish oil and red rice yeast extract :td

Blueface
05-21-2010, 07:41 AM
grrrrr my LDL is still too high. Says he wants me to lose more weight and start taking fish oil and red rice yeast extract :td

I do 2000 to 2400 a day of fish oil, depending on which pills I find on sale.
I also do one to two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil as often as I can.
I truly believe that is what got mine down so dramatically and has maintained it there.
I eat anything I want, in moderation.

Blueface
05-21-2010, 07:42 AM
My doc appt is 10am in the morning for the results, I postponed :r He told me he thinks its in my genes last time. I don't like taking meds, I don't even take asprin for headaches. Not cause I dont believe in them...just dont like meds.

I tried Fish Oil once...burped fish tasted all day :pu I HATE fish :pu

There are plenty of manufacturers now making ones that don't cause you to burp. Look for it on the label. Really works.
Also, take it before a meal, not afterwards.

e-man67
06-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I do the fish oil thing..just 1 1000mg cap, and 1 1000mg cap of Flax seed oil, also doing the Cholestoff (plant sterols) thing. I am going to go back next month to get my cholesterol checked again. I went to the doc today and I am down to 214lbs...could not believe it. I stopped all fast food, the last red meat I had was about 3 weeks ago (a burger)..eating a LOT of salad, whole grains, and a ton of fish grilled...and I am now eating a green vegetable with dinner every night (steamed broccoli, spinich, kale) which is a good habit for my kids as well. Oh, and I quit drinking every night of the week. I may have 1 glass of something 1-2 nights per week.

kaisersozei
06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
He told me he thinks its in my genes last time. I don't like taking meds, I don't even take asprin for headaches. Not cause I dont believe in them...just dont like meds.

Late to the thread, but I'm like you, hate taking meds & had a genetically high cholesterol. I've had to adjust my "no pill" mentality and have been on Zocor for 7-8+ years (although it's the only thing I take ;) so I didn't adjust that much.) My total cholesterol has been sub-150 for years, and the good:bad ratio has improved dramatically. Diet isn't that much different, I follow a pretty balance diet but still have a good intake of protein. So it definitely does the trick. A downside is that long term use of statins runs you the risk of having suppressed testosterone levels. But there's a medication for that, too!

Good luck with yours, let me know if I can offer any advice.