PDA

View Full Version : Anyone create websites?

forgop
05-13-2010, 06:11 PM
My cousin is looking to create a website to sell t-shirts. All he needs to do is set it up to upload shirt images/sizes and then have something to select a shirt size/quantity/add to cart/checkout type of options. He'd be looking for something that once an order is placed, an email notification/confirmation be sent to the buyer and himself.

I think he was going to use godaddy.com to register a domain name.

Anyone interested? What would be a ballpark price to create it?

TheRiddick
05-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Web site itself is not an issue, this can be done quick and (relatively) cheap. The main expense will be the shopping cart/check out code, takes some time to make it happen.

forgop
05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
Web site itself is not an issue, this can be done quick and (relatively) cheap. The main expense will be the shopping cart/check out code, takes some time to make it happen.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can really make a somewhat respectable retail site without it.

TheRiddick
05-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Well, one option is to sign with some ISPs specifically geared for online sales. They start at $250 per month plus percentage of sales, but can be up and running in days. This, of course, implies that one needs to generate enough sales volume to absorb the fees.

Besides that, I would recommend looking into some "ready-made" site templates that include shopping cart and sales. Look here: http://www.ecommercetemplates.com/ or here: http://www.x-cart.com/

This, of course, implies that one needs Dreamweaver (expensive) or knowledge of PHP/MySQL to get the site up and running.

stitch
05-13-2010, 11:15 PM
My web hosting costs me $119. a year for all the space bandwidth and goodies I would ever need
My secure shopping cart cost me a one time fee of $150.
But it's mine, it's secure and it's totaly customizable.
I built and maintain my site with MS Front Page.
It's worked for me since 1997.
It's a bit of work to keep updated but if this old cowboy can do it Anyone can.