PDA

View Full Version : New Guy - Humidor Suggestion

viljedi
05-11-2010, 05:27 AM
Hello everyone. I am a new member and am looking to purchase a new humidor. Where is the best place to get one and what type should I get?

leasingthisspace
05-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Welcome to the Asylum. I would say screw the humi get a thremoelectic wine cooler and roll with that. Or if you keep the house cool a cooler.

CigarNut
05-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Welcome to the Asylum. I would say screw the humi get a thremoelectic wine cooler and roll with that. Or if you keep the house cool a cooler.While don't disagree with your suggestions -- they can be a little intimidating for a newbie.

Sometimes you have to make decisions (or mistakes) up front (like purchasing a small humidor) that in hindsight you would not have done -- you would have gone straight for the Vino or Coolidor.

But, I think that is part of the learning process that helps you build up the experience to understand why the Vino's/Coolidors are so popular and why they work so well.

For the OP: If you want to get a humidor, get a quality one, no glass, that holds at least 100-200 cigars (300+ would be preferable). I know that you are saying to yourself: "Wow that's a lot of cigars! I won't need something that big!".

But it's not really alot of cigars. Especially, if you decide to try a variety to learn your tastes. Maybe you want to put some special cigars away for a while. And while you may not smoke many cigars now, as you get into the hobby, you will certainly start smoking more.

Trust me. You will use up all that space a more in a very short time. Scan the threads here at CA and you will see many threads from BOTLs who bought a small humidor and quickly ran out of space. (For Example, a recent one: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31830)

Also, the cheaper humidors are not always constructed as well and require more effort on your part to maintain them. If you are going to do this, get yourself something nice!

Welcome to the the slide down the proverbial Slippery Slope! :D

Bax
05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Cigarnut is right on the money. Buy a used desktop, don't bother spending 200-300 bucks on something you'll outgrow in a year.

The price difference between buying a box and singles will soon have you loading up on boxes. That's when you invest in a large cooler and some beads and you'll be set for a while..............until you need another cooler and more beads.............then after that you'll need another cooler and some more beads.

There's a reason it's called a slope:D

leasingthisspace
05-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I see what your saying about setting a wine cooler but you can get smaller one off CL for like 40 bucks or less. Living in TX heat could be an issue for him.
Posted via Mobile Device

BC-Axeman
05-11-2010, 08:12 AM
+++++What they said ^^^^^^^^^^!
A 100-200 count desktop is really about half that. Wine coolers are great for stability but if you have a place that stays cool all year long the a big plastic cooler is great for box storage. (If you decide to start collecting boxes of cigars. LOL)

mosesbotbol
05-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Depends if you want to buy multiple boxes or just a box or two.

Are you looking for heirloom level or just basic does what it needs to?

leasingthisspace
05-11-2010, 08:45 AM
See
http://austin.craigslist.org/for/1732463585.html
Some empty boxes for the singles and some beads and your set for a little while anyway.

itzfrank
05-11-2010, 10:37 AM
IMO, from my experience, a smaller box is the way to go. I got a 25ct and it's nearly full but it has prevented me from buying in bulk. If you limit yourself in space now, you'll be forced to buy singles and in the end you'll try more cigars out over the span of this box. Yes, you could go larger, but it may limit what you learn about yourself.

Getting a box of 25 cigars will force you to smoke some of those if not all and you won't be as open minded to your palette.

icehog3
05-11-2010, 10:40 AM
IMO, from my experience, a smaller box is the way to go. I got a 25ct and it's nearly full but it has prevented me from buying in bulk. If you limit yourself in space now, you'll be forced to buy singles and in the end you'll try more cigars out over the span of this box. Yes, you could go larger, but it may limit what you learn about yourself.

Getting a box of 25 cigars will force you to smoke some of those if not all and you won't be as open minded to your palette.

Opinions vary....I say go as big as you can afford too, as 90% of people will outgrow a 25 count humidor (which will also only hold 18-20 cigars) in no time. :2

tomc3084
05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
It all depends....But I would suggest thinking about how many cigars you plan on maintaining and multiply that by 5....I also think that if you do not want to spend a lot a cooler is always a nice option. And you should then get some beads, I would highly suggest going with shilala's beads....I made the mistake of not buying his and it took me FOREVER to get my rH stable....Welcome to the slippery slope brother!

Boss Hogg
05-11-2010, 11:22 AM
I would go big. You'll save yourself money in the long run. I first bought a 100 count desktop, then moved on to a vinotemp. Then I decided... what the hell, I'll just build a walk in closet humidor lol! Think ahead :tu

shilala
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I cast my vote for the used desktop angle. It'll allow you time to see if you get gripped by the progression of the obsession and buy tons of cigars. It usually happens when guys get exposed to the awesome deals they see from hanging around here. We're a really bad influence. :D
If you like it, you can change later and offer your desktop to the brothers and sisters here. Someone is sure to need it.
I've probably gone through dozens of humidors along the way. The next stop is a walk-in, then I'm done. Honest.

jbo57
05-11-2010, 12:02 PM
I agree with all of the above, but there is something cool about having a humidor. To me, it just adds to the whole experience...but that's me. My daughter got mine for me about four years ago for Christmas. Believe it or not, she got it from an ebay store. You might also want to check out the "Devil site". (Cigarbid as they have a merchandise section and I got a humidor from them once. I think it was the Old Worlde Humi).

MikeyRocks
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I got into smoking about two months ago. I decided to buy a humidor, found a 125 count one on eBay for a decent price. I've already maxed out the capacity and now looking to make a coolidor. It all depends on how much you see yourself smoking. I bought two boxes, a few 5 packers, a few 10 packers, and now I'm out of room...

Blueface
05-11-2010, 03:11 PM
I got into smoking about two months ago. I decided to buy a humidor, found a 125 count one on eBay for a decent price. I've already maxed out the capacity and now looking to make a coolidor. It all depends on how much you see yourself smoking. I bought two boxes, a few 5 packers, a few 10 packers, and now I'm out of room...

Welcome to our world.:r
We have all been there, done that.
Seems you always think the one you are getting is big enough and soon after, you outgrow it.
I have done that now with about 6 humidors.

Mugen910
05-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Opinions vary....I say go as big as you can afford too, as 90% of people will outgrow a 25 count humidor (which will also only hold 18-20 cigars) in no time. :2

I haven't yet :(

leasingthisspace
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
Hush Boa.
Posted via Mobile Device

Superbad
05-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I picked up a nice 100 count from cbid. I will get a vino but I am waiting on that until I pick up a few boxes of stuff I really want. I used to smoke years ago and I have found my tastes have changed since then.

mosesbotbol
05-11-2010, 05:08 PM
Best to either go really small (50 count singles) humidor or go large and buy a cabinet with (50+ boxes). Inevitably, if you stay at the small humidor level, it could suit you fine. Buy a nice box or two and just enjoy them. You want to get into really buying cigars, a larger-than-you think cabinet is the way to go. They're so easy to own and essential if you want to move past the buying singles into buying boxes.

Assorted "coolers" seems so redneck, but it works for many.

There's a great selection on Craigslist all the time.

BC-Axeman
05-11-2010, 05:54 PM
It sure is nice to have a desktop with some favorite sticks in it.
It sure is nice having a bunch of boxes of great cigars aging in the basement.
Then it's good to have an in between to keep you out of the long term storage.
Of course you need a herfador, 20+ capacity.
Oh, and something to carry just a few smokes in, just in case.