PDA

View Full Version : polarized vs non-polarized sunglasses

loki
05-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Since my wedding is going to be outside I decided that I'm gona buy myself a new pair of oakleys as a present to myself but i'm torn between polarized and non-polarized sunglasses. I've got a pair that I wear now from 10+ years ago so they are non-polarized bit I'm trying to decide if it is worth the price difference to pick up the polarized ones. what do you guys think

Blueface
05-10-2010, 05:08 PM
In my opinion, once you wear polarized you will see what you have been missing.
I miss my Maui Jim's terribly due to having had to start wearing glasses.
With polarized, everything becomes so crystal clear it is amazing.

LooseCard
05-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Once you go Polar, you'll never go back.

Since I started wearing them, I won't buy non-polarized again.

Worth every penny!

DrDubzz
05-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I really really prefer my polorized pair for driving and other glare-filled activities, it is a lot easier on my eyes

St. Lou Stu
05-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Once you go Polarized, you won't go back.

The only downside to polarization is the incompatibility with Liquid Crystal Displays.
Most LCDs will not be viewed easily from angles with a polarized lens on.

Steve
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Polorized all the way for me!

Salvelinus
05-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I'll chime in for polarized specs as well. On top of what everyone else has mentioned you get to see fish in the water better than your non-polarized pals.

loki
05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I'll chime in for polarized specs as well. On top of what everyone else has mentioned you get to see fish in the water better than your non-polarized pals.

i don't fish....;s

Ogre
05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I really really prefer my polorized pair for driving and other glare-filled activities, it is a lot easier on my eyes
:tpd:

St. Lou Stu
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM
i don't fish....;s

Well, you could with polarized lenses... with your bare hands.

loki
05-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, you could with polarized lenses... with your bare hands.

can i use high explosives instead?

hotreds
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Polarized

BroncoHorvath
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Revo's and Mau Jim's. The two greatest polarized lens out there IMO.
BTW, I'm also a fisherman....so I've tried all polarized lens, and will never buy anything else....

yourchoice
05-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Polarized...it's worth it.

elderboy02
05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I love my Polarized Oakley's

Definitely worth it.

ucubed
05-10-2010, 06:12 PM
I have a set of Polarized Oakely's as well and like everyone is saying once you get them you won't want non polarized again.

Cigary
05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Another vote for polarized. Lost my Maui Jims actually in Maui...hows that for irony?

gettysburgfreak
05-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I wear Oakleys all day for my job and own both polarized and non polarized pairs. Spend the extra coin and get the polarized. Things are a lot sharper, and clearer.

Ive got M frames and the Flack Jacket XLJs

SSDVC
05-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Revo's, polarized. They are expensive, but well worth it.

Roland of Gilead
05-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I have Oakley titanium framed polarized glasses that are the cats paws. I love the polarized lenses.

-Mark.

mosesbotbol
05-10-2010, 07:45 PM
One more for polarized. I am on my first pair for 4 months now and love them.

Bigwaved
05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
In my opinion, once you wear polarized you will see what you have been missing.
I miss my Maui Jim's terribly due to having had to start wearing glasses.
With polarized, everything becomes so crystal clear it is amazing.Carols, they make prescription lens for some Maui Jims. I have a pair of the ones with and without since I like them so much. I do not think the prescription ones are polarized though. I will tip my head next time I wear them.

TripleF
05-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Another vote for polarized!! :tu

neoflex
05-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Polarized lenses in my Oakleys here too. Just wish the shield in my helmet was polarized. The only time I do not like the polarized lenses is when looking through tinted windows as it makes them look like a rainbow. Other than that polarized hands down.

pennjones
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't buy expensive sunglasses anymore, but I have a few pair of Spy's with both polarized and non-polarized lenses, and lets just say I don't ever wear the non-polarized ones anymore. They just sit on my dresser. I also buy cheap sunglasses for driving and leaving in the car, and even cheap sunglasses are better polarized. I just bought a pair of polarized and blue mirrored field and stream sunglasses from BJ's wholesale store for $15, and they're almost as good as my polarized spys. I'm thinking about getting another pair just incase these get lost/scratched/etc.

Like others have said, once you go polarized, you NEVER go back!

Commander Quan
05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Encase you don't have enough opinions to sway you I'll tell you to get the polarized lenses too. I love my Maui Jim's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21c2kjx9FcL._AA300_.jpg

I wear them 90% of the time when I'm driving even when it's cloudy the polarization really cuts down on eye strain.

RevSmoke
05-10-2010, 09:19 PM
i don't fish....;s

Do you ever look at fish in the water? Sight seeing?

Polarized! Cut the glare.

RightAJ
05-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Not even an option buddy. Non-polarized are actually bad for your eyes... spend the extra few bucks!

aj

macsauce13
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
It seems you have plenty of good opinions, but really...Once you go polarized, you never go back!

loki
05-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Not even an option buddy. Non-polarized are actually bad for your eyes... spend the extra few bucks!

aj

well then my eyes are proper ****ed after the last decade i've been wearing my non polarized oakleys lol

Goldie
05-10-2010, 09:38 PM
I have a pair of polarized Juliet's and love em. I also have a pair of Spy's that aren't polarized, and wish they were.

The biggest complaint I have ever heard about polarized lenses, they make certain LCD displays nearly impossible to see. Particularly BMW radios.

Congrats on the wedding also.

loki
05-10-2010, 10:25 PM
The biggest complaint I have ever heard about polarized lenses, they make certain LCD displays nearly impossible to see. Particularly BMW radios.

Congrats on the wedding also.

hum...this maybe an issue then...not that I have a bmw.

and thanks...i'll just be happy when it's over

mosesbotbol
05-11-2010, 04:51 AM
My polarized glasses are $30 from TJmaxx, lablelled as "Calvin Klien". The frames are cheap, but the lenses are 100% UV filtered and polarized. I like them more than my Ray Ban's or Porsche Design.

They're the best $30 sunglasses I have ever bought next to a plastic framed Carerra's that I also love for the beach and bright direct light.

kugie
05-11-2010, 05:09 AM
I wear polarized almost all the time. I left my glasses in the house a few months back and I had a cheap pair of non-polarized and my eyes almost hurt after taking them off.
So I now keep an extra pair of polarized in the car.

Wanger
05-11-2010, 07:04 AM
i don't fish....;s

Fine, then...when you're trying to fish your golf balls out of the water. Better? LOL

After I had lasik, I started wearing polarized sunglasses, and the difference is amazing. I generally don't even look at them if they're not polarized now.

Steve
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
To be honest, I didn't know you could even get non-polorized sunglasses these days. Seriously. I guess I don't get out much anymore...

OLS
05-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Oh, HELL yes you can. Don't forget, this is the era of the cheap Chinese EVERYTHING.
Glasses are right there on top.

One word of advice right now...BIGLOTS. They are blowing out their reading and sunglasses.
2 bucks a pair. At least in Memphis. Boxloads of Foster Grant sunglasses, 2 bucks.
I bought 18 pair of sunglasses, about 2/3 polarized. I just was not going to let not having
sunglasses be an issue anymore. I was down to two pairs I did not like, so much so that
I quit wearing them. AHHhhhh. My eyes are so happy now.

Polarized.

Blueface
05-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Carols, they make prescription lens for some Maui Jims. I have a pair of the ones with and without since I like them so much. I do not think the prescription ones are polarized though. I will tip my head next time I wear them.

Yeah but unfortunately not for my Kajunas due to their curved shape.
They offer it on select frames only.
I have thought of getting a pair this year with what I hope to be extra funds left over in my FSA account but have to wait and see.
If there is what I think there will be, will look to get custom Maui's for wife and self.
To me, they are the absolute best for your eyes and man I miss them.

BTW,
For the others reading this thread, what makes Maui Jim's so special is they are not only polarized on the outside but they are also treated on the inside. One may wonder what that does and it in fact does a whole lot with reflections.
They are awesome glasses and worth every penny (or better yet, every hundreds).

Blueface
05-11-2010, 08:41 AM
encase you don't have enough opinions to sway you i'll tell you to get the polarized lenses too. I love my maui jim's.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/i/21c2kjx9fcl._aa300_.jpg

i wear them 90% of the time when i'm driving even when it's cloudy the polarization really cuts down on eye strain.

Kajunas rule!!!:d

mithrilG60
05-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm going with everyone else, either buy polarized or might just as well by the $5 cheapies from the gas station. The amount that polarization reduces your eye strain is unbelievable, especially while driving or near/on the water.

Revo's and Mau Jim's. The two greatest polarized lens out there IMO.

Never tried Revo, but Maui Jim's are great! Serengeti is another amazing glasses brand, and one of the very few out there that are photochromic. Most people have never heard of them but they're probably the best driving glasses bar none on the market. They're owned by Bushnell and use the same caliber optics in their glasses that Bushnell uses for their binoculars and rifle scopes. I've worn Serengeti's for the last 3 years and would never imagine buying fashion glasses like Oakley again, the difference in moving up to quality optics is just too great to come back from.

Blueface
05-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm going with everyone else, either buy polarized or might just as well by the $5 cheapies from the gas station. The amount that polarization reduces your eye strain is unbelievable, especially while driving or near/on the water.

Never tried Revo, but Maui Jim's are great! Serengeti is another amazing glasses brand, and one of the very few out there that are photochromic. Most people have never heard of them but they're probably the best driving glasses bar none on the market. They're owned by Bushnell and use the same caliber optics in their glasses that Bushnell uses for their binoculars and rifle scopes. I've worn Serengeti's for the last 3 years and would never imagine buying fashion glasses like Oakley again, the difference in moving up to quality optics is just too great to come back from.

If I recall, they are a bit more than the Maui's though.

Cyclone
05-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I love my Polarized Oakley's

Definitely worth it.

+1

Bought my 1st pair of Oakleys 2 months agos but have ALWAYS had Polarized lenses in all of my sunglasses...

mithrilG60
05-11-2010, 09:40 AM
If I recall, they are a bit more than the Maui's though.

Like everything, depends on where you buy them. I've bought all of my Serengeti's from OpticsPlanet.com (http://www.opticsplanet.net/serengeti-sunglasses.html) and they've been quite reasonable, especially compared to local pricing since there's only one optometrist that carries Serengeti in Vancouver. I think my Dante's were the most expensive at about $210 which is less than 50% of what I would have paid if I bought in Vancouver. Serengeti's most expensive models are seem to be priced comparably to Revo and Maui Jim, but most of their models seem to be significantly less.

rizzle
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Polarized. You'll never go back.

And another vote for Revo. Been wearing them exclusively for almost 20 years now. They'll cost you a whole lot less now than they used to also.

loki
05-11-2010, 10:55 AM
thanks guys, my decision is pretty much made I'm just a bit worried about the lcd issue that was posted about. One of my cars is an early 90s gm product with the lcd speedo so if I can't see that, that maybe a problem

ir13
05-11-2010, 11:07 AM
thanks guys, my decision is pretty much made I'm just a bit worried about the lcd issue that was posted about. One of my cars is an early 90s gm product with the lcd speedo so if I can't see that, that maybe a problem

its not really a problem, you can still see the lcd, if you turn you head at the wrong angle, the polarization makes it alot less readable.

Thats just from my experience though.

loki
05-11-2010, 11:08 AM
its not really a problem, you can still see the lcd, if you turn you head at the wrong angle, the polarization makes it alot less readable.

got ya, thanks guys I think I'm gona pop for the polarized ones

Blueface
05-11-2010, 12:09 PM
got ya, thanks guys I think I'm gona pop for the polarized ones

Something you should consider too is that some polarized colors of lenses are better suited for certain things.
As an example, the color of my Maui Jim's lenses is better suited for driving.
At the time, I drove quite a bit and that was important to me.

St. Lou Stu
05-11-2010, 12:59 PM

I posted the initial concern and Joey made it more clear.

Cyclone
05-11-2010, 01:10 PM
Like everything, depends on where you buy them. I've bought all of my Serengeti's from OpticsPlanet.com (http://www.opticsplanet.net/serengeti-sunglasses.html) and they've been quite reasonable, especially compared to local pricing since there's only one optometrist that carries Serengeti in Vancouver. I think my Dante's were the most expensive at about $210 which is less than 50% of what I would have paid if I bought in Vancouver. Serengeti's most expensive models are seem to be priced comparably to Revo and Maui Jim, but most of their models seem to be significantly less.

Another vote for Serengettis... I used to have prescription Serengettis and would wear them while driving in the rain... Amazing difference...

My wife made me stop wearing them cuz I looked like a cop (Aviator style)... I'm thinking that's not a BAD thing... :D

mithrilG60
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Something you should consider too is that some polarized colors of lenses are better suited for certain things.
As an example, the color of my Maui Jim's lenses is better suited for driving.
At the time, I drove quite a bit and that was important to me.

Very good point! You also want to try the different colours on if possible to make sure they suit you. Technically Serengeti's brown "Driver" lens is the best for driving since it enhances both red and green wavelengths but when I ordered my Dante's in that colour I couldn't stand the way it emphasized red and gave everything a pinkish hue. I ended up returning in exchange for the same glasses just in their more colour-neutral 555N tint. Still enhances green a little bit but doesn't distort my colour perception overly.

doctorcue
05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
You are making the right choice. I have 3 pairs of polarized Oakleys and I bought a 4th set that is not polarized (for running & stuff). I regret not buying polarized. Always polarized.

loki
05-11-2010, 10:21 PM
thanks guys, I'm going to go to the mall tomorrow and pick out a pair that i like tomorrow

Eleven
05-12-2010, 12:02 AM
Here is a fun thing to do, take 2 pair of polarized sunglasses and turn them perpendicular to each other, it blocks out almost ALL light :)

Or like some have said, at the gas station, or anywhere there is an LCD screen, turn your glasses 90 degrees, its science in action!

Learned that on The Mechanical Universe. (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~tmu/)

RGD.
05-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Just in case - polarized, yes.

I wear glasses so my sunglasses are prescription also. And since I do a lot of daily driving I use:

DriveWearŪ Activated by TransitionsŪ (http://www.drivewearlens.com/home.php)

Mine are set in Oakley frames. Costly? Yes. Worth every penny? Yes.

As for the LCD remarks - yes there is a very slight issue. It normally deals with the older displays on gas pumps and really old cell phone screens. But how much time is actually spent staring at gas pumps per week. Simply look at them straight on and your good, or take them off for the few seconds required. LCD displays in cars - never had a problem with those type of displays.

Ron

av8tor152d
05-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Wait do they even make non-polarized glassed still ??

Been wearing polarized for years

Wanger
05-12-2010, 07:07 AM
Here is a fun thing to do, take 2 pair of polarized sunglasses and turn them perpendicular to each other, it blocks out almost ALL light :)

Or like some have said, at the gas station, or anywhere there is an LCD screen, turn your glasses 90 degrees, its science in action!

Learned that on The Mechanical Universe. (http://www.its.caltech.edu/~tmu/)

It's simple...It has to do with the way the light waves are oriented. No...I didn't look at the sight...I'm a chemist and had to learn that sh.. several years ago. :p

loki
05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Wait do they even make non-polarized glassed still ??

Been wearing polarized for years

well not all of us are as special as you chief ;)

Diesel Kinevel
05-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Get the polarized with out a doubt. I have used both and the lenses I got from oakley that are polarized are awesome!

-Z

loki
05-21-2010, 11:55 AM
ended up with polarized tight ropes and love em. I got in the car and went "whats the big deal? I don't see a difference...hey hand me my other ones." quick swap "holy hell I see the difference"

Blueface
05-21-2010, 12:47 PM
ended up with polarized tight ropes and love em. I got in the car and went "whats the big deal? I don't see a difference...hey hand me my other ones." quick swap "holy hell I see the difference"

LOL

You suddenly see what you have been missing.

I am going to have a few bucks left over in my FSA this year that I will need to spend so I am going to order a new pair of Maui Jim's towards the end of the year with prescription lenses and progressive bi-focals.
I hope I don't have to trade in my car for them.:r

Mr B
05-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Go w/the polarized. I love my Costa Del Mar's. I have had them for about 3 years now, and I had a pair of Bolle Polarized before them for 6 years.
Ploarized all the way. Especially if you are a fisherman, which I understand you are not. But ht esame attributes that reduce the glare from the surface of the water also reduce the glare form your windsheild while driving and many other instances. Until you try them on side by side you might not know how good they really are.
Good Luck