PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a BIG decision. Please...


JE3146
11-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Backstory - I'm in college. I got delayed a year at school due to an advising screwup. (IE. I was missing 1 class going into Senior Design, and they wouldn't let me continue without that 1 class). So I'm doing 2 terms this year to complete that one class and basically finish up everything else except 3 senior classes and the 3 senior design classes, which I will do next year part time at 6 credit hours per term for 3 terms.

That leaves a gap during spring term of this year.

I belong to an Internship Program that grants students internships. They are 6 month internships. I have completed 1 of these internships, and we are allowed and required 2 total.

Option A: Take a 2nd Junior level internship to fill the gap this year. It would go from Spring 09 through Summer for 6 months. I would make ~ 17 to 20$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months. This will require getting approval through a formal meeting.

Option B: Decline the second Junior Internship. Finish the 2 terms this year. Finish the 3 terms next year. Graduate, then do a Senior Internship from Summer 2010 through Fall 2010. I would make ~20 to 24$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months, as well as possibly having the option to continue working there after the internship is over, as I'll be graduated and needing a job.

The dilemma: I'm getting married this coming summer. This was planned into the works before I got screwed by my advisor, so the delay was a serious setback. The income from Option A would be seriously beneficial to the wedding as it'd be happening before the wedding.

Another thing to consider is the gap between Spring 09 and Fall 09 will trigger me to have to pay loans back at about 150$ a month or so. This will happen regardless of which option I take. That's about 900$ of expenses.

Another dilemma is car payments/phone/insurance... That is until student loans kick back in in the fall.

All this can be paid with a decent paying job (~10$ an hour), but I would NEED a job or... well lets just say I'd need a job... and with the economy in it's current position makes me worried.



So... to recap.

2nd Junior Internship
Take the safe route. Earn less money, make payments, help pay for the wedding. Leaves myself open after graduation for any company I might meet during Senior year. But I'd have to get approval prior to taking this option.

1st Senior Internship
Take the risky route. Earn more money later that could be put towards a house. Earn better experience for resume material. Possibly have the option of it leading to a full time employment in a rough economy. Possibly less budget for the wedding or a smaller honeymoon.


Please offer some advice..... I see benefits and serious flaws with both options :(


EDIT TO ADD: I'm in Computer Engineering. Forgot to even add my major.

Resipsa
11-02-2008, 02:57 PM
You lost me somewhere with Option B. If the internship is. Required to graduate, how in option B do. you graduate, then do the internship? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong?

JE3146
11-02-2008, 03:00 PM
You lost me somewhere with Option B. If the internship is. Required to graduate, how in option B do. you graduate, then do the internship? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong?

It's not required to graduate. It's a program separate to my school program that I signed up for that runs parallel. I had to go through interviews to get in it... fill out applications... etc. It was a long drawn out experience, and out of like 500 applicants, only like 25 make it.

I signed a contract to fulfill the obligation though. I'm not really sure what they could do to enforce it really... but there really is no reason not to... I mean it's a job and makes good money.

lightning9191
11-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I picked option B because I like the possibility of a job offer after the internship in the current market. I don't see why this is referred to as the "risky option" though. What makes it risky?

JE3146
11-02-2008, 03:06 PM
I picked option B because I like the possibility of a job offer after the internship in the current market. I don't see why this is referred to as the "risky option" though. What makes it risky?

If I can't secure a job this spring, I can't make payments.

There's no guarantee I'll find a job, whereas Option A is guaranteed pending approval of the meeting.

Thus... Option B is 'riskier'


I've been dwelling over this decision for 2 weeks and have to make up my mind by tomorrow. I tried to list every last detail, pro, & con I can think of.

elderboy02
11-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I say take the risky route. I too am in a computer field. Computer people are in high demand right now. If you were in a manufacturing field, I would take the safer route.

JE3146
11-02-2008, 03:15 PM
I say take the risky route. I too am in a computer field. Computer people are in high demand right now. If you were in a manufacturing field, I would take the safer route.

The odds of me getting a job in my technical field this spring are slim to none as most companies in the pacific northwest that even offer internships belong to this program called MECOP (The program I'm in). Everything from Intel to Boeing.

And I'd be competing for an job with the 'interns' that would be just starting their Junior Internships. I know this from experience because every company I applied to a few years back for an Internship told me to go join the program. So I did, and I got a job lol.

So I'd most likely be reduced to some production line job or... something. The bonus is I wouldn't be fighting the high schoolers for summer work, as I'd be starting in Spring. So the odds of getting a job PERIOD are in my favor substantially.

shaggy
11-02-2008, 03:18 PM
i would go with option b and scale back the wedding stuff if at all possible. tough times now may work to your favour later when you get a foot in on a full time job thro the internship

gettysburgfreak
11-02-2008, 03:32 PM
I would take option B, the possibility that you will get hired after the internship is a big selling point. I did an internship which led to me coming back as a seasonal park ranger and that has possibly led to a full time position at the end of the year.

smitdavi
11-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Can you defer your loans for 6 months or so...I know it was an option. Not sure if it still is, but I know that when my dad graduated he deferred payment for 6 months after he graduated.

JE3146
11-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Can you defer your loans for 6 months or so...I know it was an option. Not sure if it still is, but I know that when my dad graduated he deferred payment for 6 months after he graduated.

The 6 month period is still around, but I burned the 6 month grace period on my first internship.

SeanGAR
11-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Seems to me a job is a huge priority given the economic situation so I'd pick the one that increases those odds. After you get married what will your wife be doing? Who is paying for the wedding/honeymoon?

PeteSB75
11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Is there any way you can do both internships? I'd think that would be the preferable option. If not, take the Jr year internship and earn some green for cigars before the wedding. Look for a job after you finish, but also look at other internships as well, if the program does not support it. You might also find that the place you are interning at for the Jr year one wants you to come back, especially if you do a good job and let them know that you will be available in the not too distant future.

JE3146
11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Seems to me a job is a huge priority given the economic situation so I'd pick the one that increases those odds. After you get married what will your wife be doing? Who is paying for the wedding/honeymoon?

She's currently has a Human Services degree (BS), and is currently working as a CNA as a temporary position until either she follows the hospital paid program (1 year course) to become an RN, or find a job in her career field (HR, Social Services, etc). So we have 1 income currently, which isn't 'half bad'. She's paying for a chunk of the wedding (mostly just part of the honeymoon), as well as with some of my savings. Then our parents are each chipping in some money for the ceremony/reception. It's not going to be an extravagant wedding by any means, but it's all we have to work with.

JE3146
11-02-2008, 06:39 PM
Is there any way you can do both internships? I'd think that would be the preferable option. If not, take the Jr year internship and earn some green for cigars before the wedding. Look for a job after you finish, but also look at other internships as well, if the program does not support it. You might also find that the place you are interning at for the Jr year one wants you to come back, especially if you do a good job and let them know that you will be available in the not too distant future.

To be honest, I'm going to the meeting with that plan of attack, but I wanted this decision made in case it's not an option. I've never heard of it being done, and I do not know if they'd accommodate it, but I had planned on trying regardless of my decision.

And I've tried to go back to the original one, but the problem is they budget for internships so far in advance that I'd of had to request this last year, back when I thought things were still 'as planned' :(

Mark C
11-02-2008, 07:12 PM
I'd take the senior internship. Like everyone else said, it sets you up better for a long-term career. Right now that seems pretty important.

With regards to your payments, is there some way you can take part-time classes in the spring just to delay the payments? Maybe find something that would look good on your resume, or do what I did and take a wine tasting course.

JE3146
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
I'd take the senior internship. Like everyone else said, it sets you up better for a long-term career. Right now that seems pretty important.

With regards to your payments, is there some way you can take part-time classes in the spring just to delay the payments? Maybe find something that would look good on your resume, or do what I did and take a wine tasting course.

The 150$ a month for loan payments are dwarfed by the car payments/insurance/CC payments/ phone bill.. etc.

Sadly the loan payments are the least of my worries. It's the rest that worry me. (Just to clarify)

chippewastud79
11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Jordan, here is my :2 for what its worth. My brother did something similar to what your first option entails. At the end of the "internship" the company he worked for offered him a full-time position and offered to pay for his school if he continued to go part-time until he graduated. He decided to take the job and still works there while they pay for his school. Granted the salary he is/was making is not as much as he will make when he actually has the degree, but he makes enough for his house and bills with money left over. Not sure if that make anything any easier, but I figured I would throw that out there. :tu

Sailchaser
11-02-2008, 07:46 PM
The guidance that you need will come from with in, also I always write down all the pro and cons and make the decision from there . Best of luck with your chocies

Sailkat
11-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I think I would opt for option A. A good way to gain some experience (and make some money) when you have a break. Who knows, with the lighter schedule you have when you return, they may be able to keep you on part time. If you do a good job, they may even offer to pay for you to finish school and keep you on.

I'm sure which ever direction you choose....you will do well. Make a choice and don't look back.

Seanohue
11-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Go for Option A, IMO. Like SeanGAR said, with the state of the economy, you should secure a job now rather than waiting.

CoventryCat86
11-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Geez, it's almost way too confusing for me, LOL! As far as the "economy," I see it being bad through 2010, BUT that's a pretty general statement that may not have much to do with your field. It sounds like your field has much better opportunities than many other fields at the moment and certainly in the long run.

Not being a big risk taker myself, I would go for the least riskier one which I think you said is A.

Now, I'm not one to just blow sunshine up anyone's backside just to be nicey-nice (just ask pretty much anyone who knows me, LOL!) so I'm being totally truthful with you here, you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders and a very good sense of making good decisions so whatever you ultimately decide will be the right choice for you. I would say just trust your instincts and my guess is you'll do just fine when all is said and done.;)

EDIT: I just voted and right now its 9-8 so I see we're not much help!

JE3146
11-03-2008, 12:15 AM
EDIT: I just voted and right now its 9-8 so I see we're not much help!

Definitely seems that way... :D

I'm right back where I started... torn between the two LOL.

dcamacho
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
now. good luck my man! :dance:

tnip23
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I voted A Jordan. The money now for the wedding and getting things started off right is important. With your wife going into the nursing field, she is guaranteed getting a job and as many hours as she wants. I say secure your immediate future now and the rest will take care of itself. It's your life though, so please do what you feel in your heart, if you believe in a higher power, pray for guidance as well, it will come.

Scottw
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Backstory - I'm in college. I got delayed a year at school due to an advising screwup. (IE. I was missing 1 class going into Senior Design, and they wouldn't let me continue without that 1 class). So I'm doing 2 terms this year to complete that one class and basically finish up everything else except 3 senior classes and the 3 senior design classes, which I will do next year part time at 6 credit hours per term for 3 terms.

That leaves a gap during spring term of this year.

I belong to an Internship Program that grants students internships. They are 6 month internships. I have completed 1 of these internships, and we are allowed and required 2 total.

Option A: Take a 2nd Junior level internship to fill the gap this year. It would go from Spring 09 through Summer for 6 months. I would make ~ 17 to 20$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months. This will require getting approval through a formal meeting.

Option B: Decline the second Junior Internship. Finish the 2 terms this year. Finish the 3 terms next year. Graduate, then do a Senior Internship from Summer 2010 through Fall 2010. I would make ~20 to 24$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months, as well as possibly having the option to continue working there after the internship is over, as I'll be graduated and needing a job.

The dilemma: I'm getting married this coming summer. This was planned into the works before I got screwed by my advisor, so the delay was a serious setback. The income from Option A would be seriously beneficial to the wedding as it'd be happening before the wedding.

Another thing to consider is the gap between Spring 09 and Fall 09 will trigger me to have to pay loans back at about 150$ a month or so. This will happen regardless of which option I take. That's about 900$ of expenses.

Another dilemma is car payments/phone/insurance... That is until student loans kick back in in the fall.

All this can be paid with a decent paying job (~10$ an hour), but I would NEED a job or... well lets just say I'd need a job... and with the economy in it's current position makes me worried.



So... to recap.

2nd Junior Internship
Take the safe route. Earn less money, make payments, help pay for the wedding. Leaves myself open after graduation for any company I might meet during Senior year. But I'd have to get approval prior to taking this option.

1st Senior Internship
Take the risky route. Earn more money later that could be put towards a house. Earn better experience for resume material. Possibly have the option of it leading to a full time employment in a rough economy. Possibly less budget for the wedding or a smaller honeymoon.


Please offer some advice..... I see benefits and serious flaws with both options :(


EDIT TO ADD: I'm in Computer Engineering. Forgot to even add my major.


Push the wedding out a year and take the risk. Tell her how much more of a wedding you can give her this way! Not to get too personal, how old are you?

Mugen910
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Take Option A...Money now is better than $$ later!

JE3146
11-03-2008, 07:26 PM
Push the wedding out a year and take the risk. Tell her how much more of a wedding you can give her this way! Not to get too personal, how old are you?

Can't do that... the setback occurred AFTER we had made deposits. And eating that money would be devastating to the budget overall.

And I'm 23, as my profile says.

markem
11-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Here's my advice. Worth every penny that you paid for it.

Sit down with the soon-to-be-Mrs and discuss the options. The decision affects you both, so you should make the decision jointly.

DavenportESQ
11-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I was in a similar situation. I graduated last spring, and had the option to come back (I am a student athlete and have another year of eligibility)Or go ahead and go hit the real world and try to find a job. I chose to go back to school and get my masters, and if the opportunity rolls around about a year from now, and the economy/job market is still this bad I will go back to school and pursue another degree. Securing a job is important, but to me there is nothing secure about our Economy, usually when firings come around recent hires are the first to go. I would rather be in school and further my education as much as possible so when the job market shows itself I will be more qualified...Dunno if this answers your question but something worth considering

zmancbr
11-03-2008, 10:59 PM
It sounds to me like Option A has more benefits than B... so I voted A. Hope that helps!