PDA

View Full Version : Padron 2000 aging conundrom

nomadicwookie
05-07-2010, 07:53 AM
I have a few Padron 2000's that've been in the humi for 2 years and they are smoking great. Rich chocolate & coffee the whole way. I have quite a few more that have been in there about a year. I've smoked 3 of them now & I'm getting a peppery bitter 1st 3rd & the rest of it just tastes like flat tobacco with the occasional coffee aftertaste. Anybody else ever had this happen? Did I hit a sour spot at a year? I guess I'm going to let them rest for a while. Thoughts anyone?

MiamiE
05-07-2010, 08:32 AM
I recently got a box of 2000's on here from '07. Haven't smoked one yet. I want to give them 5 years before I try!

Goldie
05-07-2010, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, I have never allowed a Padron 2000 to sit long enough to age that much, so I have zero to contribute.

Shoot me over a few of those 1 year Padron's, and I will smoke 'em, and give you my feedback. :D

alwayslit
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Sometimes a cigar will go sick.....even a nc. Let them rest for 6 months to a year and they should be fine. I've found that these age great.

GWN
05-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Had one two nights ago that would purchased more than three years ago. Very smooth. An awesome smoke. A big difference from the newer box of Londres I'm smoking through.

nomadicwookie
05-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone. Guess I'll leave 'em alone until next spring. I think it's time for a bigger humi. Not a lot of room for the fresh ones any more.

Mr.Maduro
05-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Not much to add, but this thread reminded me that I have a partial box from 2004 resting in the back of my humi. I think its time to give one a try. :D

MiamiE
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
Not much to add, but this thread reminded me that I have a partial box from 2004 resting in the back of my humi. I think its time to give one a try. :D

Wow! :tu

duckmanco
05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm probably in the minority here, but I think with tobacco being so different (in even the same blend/size/ etc,) some boxes of even the same cigars just go flat. I also think that the aging thing can get out of hand sometimes. Padron has always stated that they build there smokes to smoke ROTT.

But then again, people have had good luck aging them. I try to get through boxes sooner than later, especially with such a good smoke as Padron 2000's.

jsnake
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I smoked my first Padron last week and it happened to be a 2000. It was the absolute worst cigar I have ever smoked in my entire life. It tasted like I was licking the inside of an ashtray in a goat's butt. It upset my stomach and I threw it out half way through. I have never thrown out a cigar and I have smoked a few dog rockets. This beat them all and was the worst of the worst. I was so glad I had another stick with me to eradicate that taste from my mouth.

No one says anything bad about Padron. Was it just a fluke and a bad stick? My friends keep saying to try the others but I am reluctant to.

skeeter
05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I really like Nic puros, but I have never cared for Padron. They always taste flat to me.
Go figure.
To each his own......

Mr.Maduro
05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
I had one of mine (maduro) from 2004 last night and it as very good. The typical Padron flavors were there, but they seem to have all blended together making the cigar smoother ( surprising right? ) and more balanced.
Posted via Mobile Device

OLS
05-26-2010, 06:40 AM
I do not find they age all that well, and like Orlando says, they are made to smoke.
Padron ages the tobacco and sells you the cigars to smoke. Keeping them around for long
term aging is usually unsuccessful. God I love a good Padron. For the retailer who was
confused about padron, try an executive or a panetela, they are all good, but those are
a couple favorites.

jimmyk26
05-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Another note about consistency, it may be difficult to find consistency from box to box and year to year. Now I consider Padron to be one of the better companies when it comes to consistency, but they aren't immune to inconsistency. The only way to really tell is just to let them sit for one more year. Good luck.

md4958
05-26-2010, 12:52 PM
They always taste flat to me.
Go figure.
To each his own......

Had a 1926 on Monday that was flat... hopefully it was a dud.

SSDVC
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I smoked my first Padron last week and it happened to be a 2000. It was the absolute worst cigar I have ever smoked in my entire life. It tasted like I was licking the inside of an ashtray in a goat's butt.

I am still trying to figure out how you know what that "the inside ashtray up a goats butt" tastes like. Crap, I did some stuff when I was younger, but that is out of my league! :D

kgraybill
05-26-2010, 05:38 PM
I still have a few Londres with around 2 years on them and smoked one the other day. It was accually better than when I got them. I have found that when I smoke xooo series they are better smoked slower than I would most cigars

REALMCCOY
06-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I have only smoked a box each of the natural and the maduro. Both boxes were purchased February 2009. Down to my last one of each. The only reason I held on to them for so long was a little bit of curiosity about how long it takes for them to lose their pop and trying other stuff along the way. JMHO, but I don't buy them for aging. I am in the ROTT bunch. For what it's worth they do get smooth after some good down time.

alwayslit
06-04-2010, 08:00 PM
Smoked a 3000 nattie from 6/2000.......great smoke.

coronalogan
06-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I smoked my first Padron last week and it happened to be a 2000. It was the absolute worst cigar I have ever smoked in my entire life. It tasted like I was licking the inside of an ashtray in a goat's butt. It upset my stomach and I threw it out half way through. I have never thrown out a cigar and I have smoked a few dog rockets. This beat them all and was the worst of the worst. I was so glad I had another stick with me to eradicate that taste from my mouth.

No one says anything bad about Padron. Was it just a fluke and a bad stick? My friends keep saying to try the others but I am reluctant to.

It had to have been a fluke man, there are a few bad ones in every batch and maybe you just happened to get that one. If you were in the orlando area I would literally give you one of my aged 2000's and I bet your attitude would change towards them. I really recommend giving them a try again... and then move your way up to the 64' and 26' lines that are some of my favorite smokes made today. The number 9 maduro '26 is an incredible cigar right out of the box, give padron a shot again man.

Brad
06-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Never had a bad one in terms of flavor, but my gripe with Padron is the size of the caps. They are tiny, and sometimes not put on very well. You need to be very careful cutting them or it will unravel. It's easy to cut off too much.

coronalogan
06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Never had a bad one in terms of flavor, but my gripe with Padron is the size of the caps. They are tiny, and sometimes not put on very well. You need to be very careful cutting them or it will unravel. It's easy to cut off too much.

very true. Not sure why they're so stingy on the caps.

688sonarmen
06-14-2010, 05:41 PM
I have a box of 2000 that is from 07, problem is they were left out on a submarine for a few weeks. Now they are shrink wrapped and were still spongy after all that but the fact that we treat our air with Amine to keep CO2 levels down did not help the case. They still smell like ammonia! Maybe I will bite the bullet and give them a try. (Who the hell would throw them away?)

klipsch
06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
I was fortunate enough to acquire a box worth of 2003 Ambassadors recently along with some 2004/05 6000's. It's amazing what time does to Padrons. But I will typically pick up a fresh stick (I didn't have any Ambassadors) to smoke so that I can better appreciate aged ones. I don't see anyway in hell that I'll be able to sit on any of my current inventory for that amount of time... :r

In response to the OP's question...you may have just picked up a bum stick.