PDA

View Full Version : Salt Test & Analog Hygrometer

mike_in_sa
05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
My father-in-law gave me a used humidor which came with an analog hygrometer. I used the salt test to zero it in, but my question is should I trust it? I've pulled it out of the bag and put it back in and it seems to hold right around 75%, but I do not want to take a chance on damaging my new purchases.

Thanks in advance...

Mad Monkey

pnoon
05-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Analog hygrometers are for aesthetic purposes only. Get a digital hygrometer.
That being said, unless the RH gets extremely low or high for an extended period, it is unlikely your cigars will be damaged.

Ogre
05-05-2010, 10:18 AM
if you did the test correctly is should be fine. I tested an analog and digital at the same time and it tested fine. I use the analog for my single stick box and not had any problems. If you are that concerned about it, go ahead and spend the $20 for a digital. It is a small investment.

jjirons69
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
If it's hitting 75%, sounds like you should be good to go. As I posted in another thread yesterday, go for some 65% beads. Make sure they stay charged and check them periodically and you should be fine. As long as the humi doesn't have any leaks, you should be good. You can test it with a flashlight in the dark. Close the light up on the inside and check for light leaks. Enjoy that new (free) humi!

Here's mine and it's Dead-Eye Dick: Western Caliber III

http://www.cigarextras.com/images/products/detail/CALIBER3.jpg

Kreth
05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Analogs are notoriously inaccurate. The one in my desktop can take 24 hours to settle after an RH swing (like when I emptied the desktop to seal and reseason).
I'd pick up a decent adjustable digitable. Wal-Mart has some cheap non-adjustable ones, but they can be off, so you'd want a known good reading for comparison.
Posted via Mobile Device

OLS
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
digitable.

DIGITABLE, Kreth?? Hehe, that's a good one.

Kreth
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
DIGITABLE, Kreth?? Hehe, that's a good one.
I guess I was thinking adjustable while typing digital... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

mike_in_sa
05-05-2010, 07:06 PM
That, my friend, is referred to as a Spoonerism. I do it all the time!