PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Etiquette

RevSmoke
04-30-2010, 04:26 PM
OK, someone gifts you some cigars. Some of them you wanted, some of them are new and you look forward to trying them.

Some of them are... well, they just are. It isn't that they are bad cigars, it is just that you only smoke a couple cigars a week, and some of them aren't what you'd really like to smoke.

Is it acceptable to re-gift them away?

Tripp
04-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I might be offended if they were cigars the person had never tried, but if they're cigars that you already know you don't like, theres no point in keeping them just to remind yourself why you don't like them already. :2

Mr B
04-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Totally acceptable. Why not let someone else enjoy what you have already tried. Especially if they have not tried it yet or they actually enjoy them alot. My :2

wolfandwhisky
04-30-2010, 04:37 PM
no harm in re-gifting. I agree with Tripp in that I would have a hard time not at least trying a cigar once - but I don't think it is a breach of etiquette. If someone sends you a cigar, like in contest winnings, and you know you'd rather not smoke it, better to send it to someone who would want to.

And if you can find someone that actually "wants" the cigar, even better. bomb away!

The Poet
04-30-2010, 04:39 PM
As for me, I don't feel comfortable giving away cigars somebody gave me, especially if they are ones I don't want to smoke myself. From your question, I surmise you tend to feel the same. But there are exceptions. For instance, a few years ago I was working with a college kid who wanted some smokes for his buddies to mooch. So I gave him a bagful of dogrockets, while making sure he knew that was exactly what they were. He was fine with that, and thus so was I.

spectrrr
04-30-2010, 04:41 PM
I often have the same problem - I only smoke so many per week, and sometimes I get sticks I know I will never smoke (not my thing). In those cases, I usually hang on to em for a few months (just to see if per chance I will smoke it), then it will most likely be given to the troops so they can enjoy it.

(unless they're REALLY terrible sticks, then I put them in the "you normally smoke white owls and want to grab one from me" pile :tg)

ucubed
04-30-2010, 04:43 PM
If I've had the cigar before and I know someone else is going to enjoy them much more than me, then I don't mind. If I have a good idea that I'm not going to enjoy it, but never have smoked it, I'll still keep it to smoke it later. There is no point for you to not enjoy a cigar that you've already had where you know someone who will appreciate it and enjoy it more than yourself. BUT NEVER re-sell them that's just wrong...

G G
04-30-2010, 04:45 PM
I try not to regift them (sure I have by accident before I started labeling them) but I absolutely have no problem what so ever with someone regifting the cigars I give to them. The way I see it, I gave them to you so it is up to you to do whatever you see fit to do with them. Some BOTL is going to enjoy them no matter what so it doesn't offend me in any way.:tu

sikk50
04-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I've never really been comfortable regifting, that's not to say I haven't, just that I don't feel comfortable with it. Bc of that I haven't in a long time, I just put them in the bottom forget about them and maybe pull them out at a time I know I won't have time to smoke a whole cigar and want to smoke something that I wouldn't feel bad laying down half smoked should need be.

spectrrr
04-30-2010, 04:53 PM
......I know I won't have time to smoke a whole cigar and want to smoke something that I wouldn't feel bad laying down half smoked should need be.

mm yeah, that part! forgot to mention that. Stick's I wouldn't normally smoke often get put into that category - then I get to try the stick AND not feel bad if I have to lay it down early.

Adriftpanda
04-30-2010, 04:58 PM
Cigars are cigars, meant to be shared and enjoyed with friends and family. If I can make someones day by handing them a cigar, then why not? I don't expect to smoke all my cigars, so why not share a few here and there.

But on the other hand, I do see why one would be offended... but like I said, I don't mind it in least bit.

RevSmoke
04-30-2010, 05:04 PM
These are not "bad" cigars. They are cigars that are not my taste. In fact, I have found myself giving aways super-premiums because they just didn't do anything for me and I KNEW they's make someone else's day.

Yes, I am asking because I am a bit uncomfortable with re-gifting.

Bax
04-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Any cigars that come my way that I know I'll never smoke promply head to troop support. Not too many people I know will get ticked to know they're smokes went to brighten a soldiers day. :tu

Volt
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I asked the same question way back when at CS. A few of teh responses I got were

1. Pass to the troops. As noted most will not ever be mad at that.
2. Pass to a frind/BOTL that will enjoy it. Most do not want a stick just wasted.

Anything I send is always up to the recipient to do with as they please. I'd much rather they pass it on than it take up humi space or know that it got smoked out of some obligation.

Emjaysmash
04-30-2010, 05:15 PM
I used to do this, but in my situation, I need all the cigars I can get. In fact I'd say 80% of my entire cigar collection has been gifted to me. It is really by the generousity of this forum that I have continued to enjoy this hobby for so long. To honor that, I will never regift a cigar given to me unless another BOTL is in need. That's when my cigars can be regifted, but my gifted cigars will never go out in any maws pifs or bombs.

madwilliamflint
04-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Meh. They exist to be enjoyed. If someone's gonna enjoy them that much more than you, I say go for it. (with the "first taste" caveat.)

mosesbotbol
04-30-2010, 05:21 PM
I would not "re-gift" them, but I would give them to a guest to smoke at my house.

klipsch
04-30-2010, 05:25 PM
I don't have too many people gifting me cigars, because I'm basically an @sshole. But on the occasions that I've had somebody hand me sticks, and there are some included that aren't what I'd smoke...I just tell them on the spot. I thank them for their generosity, and suggest that they hold onto whatever sticks I know I won't smoke.
If it's a bomb...then it's a different story. I have a hard time parting with something that was given to me. So if there are sticks included in a bomb that aren't what I prefer...they'll go into my 100 count desktop humi for safe keeping...until the day I'm open minded enough to try something different, or somebody visiting chooses it out of that humi.

Sending them to the troops is the best use of cigars you know you won't smoke, in my opinion. :tu

leasingthisspace
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I have handed out cigars that were gifted to me but I have always tried to share where it came from.
Like for instance I got a couple of mild cigars that gifted to me that I have already tried and I knew Bill (my neighbor who is on here somewhere) liked the milder stuff so I passed them on to him.

I am very grateful for everything I have gotten from everyone here from knowledge to cigars, I hope I never upset anyone in doing that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Emjaysmash
04-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I used to do this, but in my situation, I need all the cigars I can get. In fact I'd say 80% of my entire cigar collection has been gifted to me. It is really by the generousity of this forum that I have continued to enjoy this hobby for so long. To honor that, I will never regift a cigar given to me unless another BOTL is in need. That's when my cigars can be regifted, but my gifted cigars will never go out in any maws pifs or bombs.

So I just looked into my humis and crunched the real numbers.

167 total
42 bought
125 gifted

about 75% of my cigars have been gifted. :=:

jsnake
04-30-2010, 05:56 PM
I only re-gift things I have tried or have multiples of. I don't get offended if my friends give away ones I gifted them. We all have different taste and sharing makes all of this fun.

RevSmoke
04-30-2010, 06:12 PM

167 total
42 bought
125 gifted

You have a 167 total cigars in your humidor/humidors? You animal! And here, I figured you were struggling to have cigars.

Emjaysmash
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
You have a 167 total cigars in your humidor/humidors? You animal! And here, I figured you were struggling to have cigars.

Lol by the grace of others am I so blessed to have that many. That and I haven;t been smoking much. Saving that for our summer herfs!

Bax
04-30-2010, 06:16 PM

167 total
42 bought
125 gifted

WOW, only 167 SEE-GARS? Looks like we might have to get a large scale bombing run together ;)

RevSmoke
04-30-2010, 06:16 PM
By the way, thanks for all the comments.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Ogre
04-30-2010, 07:29 PM

To most around here, that IS a small numbers. :)

The Poet
05-01-2010, 11:08 AM

167 total
42 bought
125 gifted

M.J. = Moochin' Jew.

(:r I kid you, kid. You know I love you, brother, but that one was just to easy to miss.)

mariogolbee
05-01-2010, 11:20 AM
This pretty much the gist of it for me. Most of what I smoke was gifted to me from everyone here. In turn, much of what I buy is gifted to others here. I find a time and a place for each of the sticks given to me.

Emjaysmash
05-01-2010, 11:31 AM
M.J. = Moochin' Jew.

(:r I kid you, kid. You know I love you, brother, but that one was just to easy to miss.)

My friends call me Michael J. Moochburg!

RevSmoke
05-01-2010, 12:26 PM

Just the simple fact of what you say, led me to believe you had fewer than that.

WOW, only 167 SEE-GARS? Looks like we might have to get a large scale bombing run together ;)

A large scale bombing run? Hmmm. And yes, compared to some, that is a small number. I know I have more, but exactly how many? Good question!

M.J. = Moochin' Jew.

Yes, he is. He has moochin' down to an art form. When he is bantering, he's really moochin'.

Love you, brother.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

KiKi
05-02-2010, 02:52 AM
Walt is one of my favorite people to "gift" :)

wayner123
02-24-2011, 11:49 AM
I was pondering this very question recently. I see nothing wrong with re-gifting. If I gave you something with stipulations it wasn't really a gift.

Now what do you all say about selling gifted cigars??

TheLostGringo
02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Personally see nothing wrong with re-gifting at all, selling a gifted cigar is another matter.

I have many times re-gifted cigars someone has given me if I know I will never smoke them(especially good place to gift them is to the troops)

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Personally see nothing wrong with re-gifting at all, selling a gifted cigar is another matter.

Agreed.

I don't re-gift unless I ask the person that gave it to me if they mind. Only happened a few times.

SNKBYT
02-24-2011, 12:13 PM
not in my humi......B4 deployment I had 3 full humi's, but I also had access to Ron1yy's shop.....the stock I now have are more than enough for me to smoke any given week

as for re-gifting......only if someone else will enjoy them more

wayner123
02-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Agreed.

I don't re-gift unless I ask the person that gave it to me if they mind. Only happened a few times.

Your positioned has changed over the years?

NCRadioMan
02-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Your positioned has changed over the years?

Kinda, sorta. :D

I have never re-gifted but it used to bother me when others did. I got over that pretty quick. :sh

Christiel49
02-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't see a problem with re-gifting. I have not tried them all, so that has not been an issue for me :D I have a tendency to keep stuff(not cigars) that individuals gift me. They were thoughtful enouhg to think about me so I keep it.

Cigars are ment to be enjoyed by all...... -(P

wayner123
02-24-2011, 12:35 PM

I have many times re-gifted cigars someone has given me if I know I will never smoke them(especially good place to gift them is to the troops)

Can you elaborate, please?

poker
02-24-2011, 12:36 PM
I was pondering this very question recently. I see nothing wrong with re-gifting. If I gave you something with stipulations it wasn't really a gift.

I say no way in hell would that be appropriate.

Christiel49
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM

:tpd:

RevSmoke
02-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Wow, resurrected thread after 10 months buried.

I would also say that selling a gifted cigar is in poor taste and I would not ever do that.

I am still not sure about re-gifting though. I have done it, but only when it is something I had already smoked, or was (from experiences with others from that brand) a cigar I was pretty sure I wouldn't like.

On one occasion, I did give a gifted cigar to someone who was really excited that I had it, and really, really, really, really, really, wanted to try one. It had been around the block a few times in the traveldor and been passed by. I finally thought that if this person really wants it and will smoke it, hey, it was intended to be smoked.

CigarNut
02-24-2011, 01:07 PM

Re-gifting cigars so that others may enjoy something you are not going to smoke is more than appropriate. I do this -- and not necessarily because I don't like the cigar. It's more a case that there are other cigars that I enjoy more.

As others have said: selling cigars that you have been gifted is totally inapproriate, wrong, and downright slimey!

Emjaysmash
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, resurrected thread after 10 months buried.

I would also say that selling a gifted cigar is in poor taste and I would not ever do that.

I am still not sure about re-gifting though. I have done it, but only when it is something I had already smoked, or was (from experiences with others from that brand) a cigar I was pretty sure I wouldn't like.

On one occasion, I did give a gifted cigar to someone who was really excited that I had it, and really, really, really, really, really, wanted to try one. It had been around the block a few times in the traveldor and been passed by. I finally thought that if this person really wants it and will smoke it, hey, it was intended to be smoked.

:tpd:

Selling gifted cigars is in bad taste.

Re-gifting them to someone you know wants or would enjoy them is different. You are not making profit of you giving away a cigar gifted to you, and the whole reason cigars are around is for them to be enjoyed. I know that if someone gifts me a cigar I don't enjoy, I will either give it back (or in most cases where it cannot be done) pass it one to someone who will. There's no point in smoking cigars you don't like. Spread the joy and make someone else's day a little better.

TheLostGringo
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Can you elaborate, please?

Pretty straight forward. I am saying I do not believe you should sell a gifted cigar.

cmitch
02-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I would hope the question of selling a gifted smoke was a joke.

As for regifting sticks you've already tried or don't like, I wouldn't find it inappropriate to do so.

chand
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I think it's ok to re-gift. I don't know if I would personally, but if I send something out and the receiver isn't into it why shouldn't they pass it along to someone who does?

icehog3
02-24-2011, 02:54 PM
Cripes, man, just come out and ask the question you want answered instead of beating around the bush.

Blueface
02-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Cripes, man, just come out and ask the question you want answered instead of beating around the bush.

Is it OK to re-gift that cigar I took with me that you gave me? To myself?
Also, is it OK if I go back and find the one I smoked there and re-gift that one also? Not to myself on this one if OK by you.

Please respond before my 6 pm flight out of here.

SNKBYT
02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Also, is it OK if I go back and find the one I smoked there and re-gift that one also? Not to myself on this one if OK by you.

:confused:are you off your meds or been hitting the sauce a little early?;)

CigarNut
02-24-2011, 03:37 PM
I would like to browse Tom's humidor and regift some of his cigars to myself :ss

:noon

icehog3
02-24-2011, 03:40 PM
I would like to browse Tom's humidor and regift some of his cigars to myself :ss

:noon

Anytime, My Brother. :)

sam a
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
i'd be pretty disappointed if i gave a friend a cigar and they gave it away.

CasaDooley
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
I'm OK with re-gifting.
If I hook someone up with a cigar that is just not in their flavor profile, I want them to give it to someone who may enjoy it. Life's to short not to spread the wealth, so to speak.

On the other hand;
You sella my cigar I gift you, I breaka you legs, capish? :ss

hotreds
02-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Hey- if I give you a cigar- you can do what you want with it- it's yours now. I frankly don't have the time or inclination to check up on you and make sure that you don't regift it or sell it or whatever. ("you" in a general sense, Rev!)

Matt-N-Ga
02-24-2011, 05:09 PM
I always appreciate every bomb or gifted cigar I get, but I have run into this problem myself. I took the stance of being sure to smoke each one and thank the giver, but found that at times, it just wasn't a good idea. I then began a new process. If I'm bombed with a cigar I never tried, regardless of manufacturer or prior experience with their wares, I'll smoke it and give it a fair shake, but if I have tried them, and don't like them, I never regift them per-se. I put them in my troop bombings. Kinda a "pay-it forward" type thing.

replicant_argent
02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

Did Tom re-gift that Gurkha I gave him back in 06 or 07? Smoke it in good health, my brother.

replicant_argent
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM
They are just cigars. It's the spirit in which they are given that matters. Troops, a good friend, a newbie, a new friend, a guy on the street that looks like he could use a day brightener? All good. When I fly, I like to tuck an extra couple in my traveldor for anyone in a uniform I might come across and just give them a smile, a nod, and a
"thanks for your service, if you don't smoke, I imagine you can pass it on to a fellow troop that could use a smoke."

replicant_argent
02-24-2011, 05:24 PM
They are just cigars. It's the spirit in which they are given that matters. Troops, a good friend, a newbie, a new friend, a guy on the street that looks like he could use a day brightener? All good. When I fly, I like to tuck an extra couple in my traveldor for anyone in a uniform I might come across and just give them a smile, a nod, and a
"thanks for your service, if you don't smoke, I imagine you can pass it on to a fellow troop that could use a smoke."

In full disclosure.. I have to say that, I have gifted many more than a few dozen Gurkhas..;)