PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a Sampler

mike_in_sa
04-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Mad Monkey is looking for a great sampler. I fell for the Joecigar.com Joe's Jambalaya yesterday and bought the High/Low sampler, http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD127&stext=high. It includes:

1 - Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (box-press) (5.5" x 55)
1 - CAO The Sopranos Edition Tony Signature (6.5" x 60)
1 - Felipe Pelo de Oro Perfecto (5.5" x 50)
1 - Graycliff Turbo (6" x 60)
1 - Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
1 - Man O’ War Ruination Belicoso (5.75" x 56)
1 - Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5" x 55)
1 - Padilla Habano Artisano Perfecto (5.75" x 54)
1 - Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Rocky Patel Decade Toro (6.5" x 52)

I'm hoping I find a few I like somewhere in that mix. In any case, I'm looking for a GREAT sampler that will leave me BANANA's.

BRING IT PEOPLE!!!

BTW... :l

The Mad Monkey

maninblack
04-27-2010, 08:08 PM
The Padilla 32, Sopranos,MOW Ruination, and AB Tempus are all great smokes, IMO.

SouthernSmoke
04-27-2010, 08:18 PM
The turbos aren't too bad if i remember correctly. I have a fiver that's been resting since october....

On topic: that sampler looks pretty solid to start with. Keep an eye on the deal sites as samplers routinely show up there

pnoon
04-27-2010, 08:21 PM
Mad Monkey is looking for a great sampler. I fell for the Joecigar.com Joe's Jambalaya yesterday and bought the High/Low sampler, http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD127&stext=high. It includes:

1 - Alec Bradley Tempus Quadrum (box-press) (5.5" x 55)
1 - CAO The Sopranos Edition Tony Signature (6.5" x 60)
1 - Felipe Pelo de Oro Perfecto (5.5" x 50)
1 - Graycliff Turbo (6" x 60)
1 - Gurkha Centurian Double Perfecto (6" x 60)
1 - Man O’ War Ruination Belicoso (5.75" x 56)
1 - Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5" x 55)
1 - Padilla Habano Artisano Perfecto (5.75" x 54)
1 - Padilla Signature 1932 Robusto (5" x 50)
1 - Rocky Patel Decade Toro (6.5" x 52)

I'm hoping I find a few I like somewhere in that mix. In any case, I'm looking for a GREAT sampler that will leave me BANANA's.

BRING IT PEOPLE!!!

BTW... :l

The Mad Monkey

You're not going to get instant gratification - especially with this cigar hobby/obsession of ours. The effort has to come from you. The absolute best thing you can do is to try samplers, play in the NST, and PIF/MAW/TAW to sample as many cigars as you can. Then you will be able to decide what it is you like. Not what someone else tells you is good.

Superbad
04-27-2010, 08:25 PM
There is bound to be something you like in there. Keep checking places like cigar monster for samplers, also sometimes your B&M will give you a deal on an assortment, just ask before you head into the humidor. Let them know you are new and looking to try a bunch of different cigars to find ones you like. They might even give you a freebie or two.

KenyanSandBoa
04-27-2010, 08:27 PM
You're not going to get instant gratification - especially with this cigar hobby/obsession of ours. The effort has to come from you. The absolute best thing you can do is to try samplers, play in the NST, and PIF/MAW/TAW to sample as many cigars as you can. Then you will be able to decide what it is you like. Not what someone else tells you is good.

:tpd:

The first thing I did for a while was read, read, and read. The review section should be your best friend. :D

After I got a base of what I wanted to try, I went and bought a bunch of singles to see what I liked and didn't like. Once I had a decent collection of sticks I was comfortable with I entered the NST (an absolute necessity).

Once you gain access to the buy/sell/trade forum just buy any samplers you are interseted and fine tune your taste.

I hope that helps. :2

mike_in_sa
04-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. Trust me I am trying cigars left and right. So far the Arturo Feunte's and Cohiba Robusto have been my fav's. I have the following on deck: Olivie Serie V Double Robusto, Arturo Fuente Exquisito, Nub Conneticut (say what u want, but I enjoyed them), Punch After Dinner, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto, and Arturo Feunte Work of Art. The Punch was just ok. Of course I bought a 5 pack before trying and that was a mistake on my part. Lesson learned, I will not buy multiples unless I know I like the stick.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming!

Superbad
04-27-2010, 09:14 PM
Don't discount the effect of time on those multiples. Put them away for 6 months or more and try one again, you might find that aging has improved the cigar, also your tastes might have changed as well.

pnoon
04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Don't discount the effect of time on those multiples. Put them away for 6 months or more and try one again, you might find that aging has improved the cigar, also your tastes might have changed as well.

Sage advice. Also, judging a stick by a sample of one may be a mistake. You could have had a bad stick or your mood/health may have been off just enough to make a difference.

mike_in_sa
04-27-2010, 09:23 PM
How much of a difference will aging make? For that matter what should or shouldn't be aged and for how long?

SouthernSmoke
04-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. Trust me I am trying cigars left and right. So far the Arturo Feunte's and Cohiba Robusto have been my fav's. I have the following on deck: Olivie Serie V Double Robusto, Arturo Fuente Exquisito, Nub Conneticut (say what u want, but I enjoyed them), Punch After Dinner, Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 Robusto, and Arturo Feunte Work of Art. The Punch was just ok. Of course I bought a 5 pack before trying and that was a mistake on my part. Lesson learned, I will not buy multiples unless I know I like the stick.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming!

I find that multiples are always necessary in deciding about a stick. I try to grab between two or three. One ROTT. One a few weeks later after acclimating a bit and the third later on with some rest. It usually works out for the most part