PDA

View Full Version : Really old cigars

Tredegar
04-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I have currently found several auctions that have cigars that are ranging in age from 40-70+ years old. The only problem is I am not sure if they have been kept properly. Just wondering if I should take a risk and bid on them.

pnoon
04-25-2010, 10:37 AM
I have currently found several auctions that have cigars that are ranging in age from 40-70+ years old. The only problem is I am not sure if they have been kept properly. Just wondering if I should take a risk and bid on them.
Unless you are sure, I would pass.
Just as you should trust your vendor, so should you trust your "auctioneer"

sikk50
04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I would agree. Unless you just want it for a conversation piece or purely for collection purposes then it just depends on what it's worth to you

Bax
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I smoked one just for the cool factor (Betsy Ross almost 100 years old) but I wouldn't buy a box for smoking unless that's your thing. They'll be expensive and may not be worth it.

mosesbotbol
04-25-2010, 02:46 PM
Is the price worth it if they are just for novelty? Everyone has a different budget for such things. Is there any history or pictures? If it's not going to break the bank, then give it a go!

shilala
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I've smoked a bunch of real old cigars, and still have a handful or so. If you don't know the person they arebcoming from or how they were cared for and you can't inspect them, I'd strongly suggest you steer clear.
I've smoked from the same batch of Betsy Ross that Tim mentioned. Here's a link to the review (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16624&highlight=Betsy). It was a decent smoke. Some others that werent quite so old were much better. The only reason I mention it is that real old doesn't mean real good.

bobarian
04-25-2010, 03:13 PM

:tpd: As usual, the old one is the wise one.

Provenance, provenance, provenance. :2

Ogre
04-25-2010, 03:30 PM

:tpd: As usual, the old one is the wise one.

Provenance, provenance, provenance. :2

I am not worthy of being the the presence of such greatness!!!

Tredegar
04-25-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, I got one lot for less than 6 bucks so it's not a big risk. What the heck, right? You only live once. :)

Ogre
04-25-2010, 04:44 PM
Well, I got one lot for less than 6 bucks so it's not a big risk. What the heck, right? You only live once. :)

I would try one for $6. I have spend more on new, bad, sticks

leasingthisspace
04-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I would try it.
Posted via Mobile Device

bobarian
04-25-2010, 05:30 PM
In addition to knowing storage conditions, you will find that there is a big difference in the quality of the cigar when it was fresh. A bad old cigar will still be bad. I have had many "Clear" Cuban cigars that had some very interesting flavors you cant find in a fresher smoke. :2

GWN
04-25-2010, 05:44 PM
All depends on the price. If you can get 'em for a steal, you could probably make you money back offering up a fiver here and there. I'm sure there's plenty of us here (me included) who would love to sample a vintage smoke.