PDA

View Full Version : A Fortunate Man

ahc4353
11-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Friday night, Halloween, not a huge fan. My wife calls me the Scrooge of the block. Me? No way.

Anyway, with two sons out of the house and one off to a Halloween hockey party it was me and the better half left alone. So I whip up some linguine in a white clam sauce for dinner as Alina handles the creatures at the door.

After a nice dinner with my favorite girl I ask if she would join me on the porch for a cigar. I poor her a glass of wine and poor myself a glass of Port (Alina hates port, that's OK, more for me). Now I grab a ERDM Lunch Club and head to the porch. Perfect night, clear, crisp with no wind. The last of the trick or treaters are now long gone. Just my lovely wife a great glass of port and one very nice cigar.

Sitting there I realized just how well I have it. Three great sons, a wonderful wife, a handful of close friends and the freedom to enjoy them all.

The Port and the cigar were just awesome. However I think what made them so great was the company. As I smoked that fantastic cigar and talked with Alina I remembered just how special a person she is. After so many years of having the boys around I think I lost my wife a little bit. Taken her for granted maybe? No way! Not me! Well maybe. I will work on correcting that, trust me.

Funny how time with a cigar on a clear crisp night helped me see just how fortunate a man I am.

Thank God for dried up weeds.

Mugen910
11-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I was Al for Halloween!

*Cranky old man at the door*

All seriousness...it's a great thing when you can step back for a sec and see the life you have!

Old Sailor
11-01-2008, 10:02 PM
FRIENDS???? You must be paying them!!:r:r:r

seriously...:tu

Da Klugs
11-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice. Jane and I have been "reconnecting" since the girls went to school. It's aw some to rediscover the origins of attraction x kids removed.

Parrotheadduff
11-01-2008, 10:08 PM
3 swell kids lots of toys and a lovely wife?

md4958
11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Isnt it great that a few rolled up pieces of tobacco can make you slow down, think, and put things in perspective..

G G
11-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for reminding us to step back and remember the blessings we have Al.:)

Scottw
11-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Lucky fella, happy, healthy kids,good friends, good cigars and an awesome wife. God bless!!

TripleF
11-02-2008, 07:32 AM
You are a fortunate man AL. I'm happy for you!!

AdamC
11-02-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm happy for you Al. It's not everyday we get a chance to actually sit back and reflect on how great life is. With all the stress' these days. I'm happy for you brother.

icantbejon
11-02-2008, 07:44 AM
That sounds like an awesome evening Al. I really look forward to being able to share those nights with my wife again soon.

nozero
11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks for reminding us to step back and remember the blessings we have Al.:)

What he said...
:tu

massphatness
11-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Al - Sometimes I get so caught up in work and the goings on here at Cigar Asylum that I lose sight of what's really important. Thank you for the moment of clarity.

(And you've either been hitting the sauce while posting again or there's something you've never told me ... phone call incoming.)

awsmith4
11-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a perfect evening, you are a blessed man and thank you for reminding me to slow down and count my blessings.

Don Fernando
11-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Al, only a very old man can be so wise ;)

icehog3
11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
A priceless evening to remind you of all you are fortunate for....Very cool, Al, :)

gnukfu
11-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Nice post Al! Cigars are a good "meditation" tool. :ih

jjirons69
11-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Al, you sure it was tobacco in the cigar? ;)

DragonMan
11-02-2008, 08:01 PM
You are a blessed man Al!! Sounds like a great evening, I hope you have many,many more!! :tu:tu

Jason
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
good on you man! You are truly blessed. I hope this thread is around in 13 years when my kids have left, been noticing how much they take away from the spousal relationship

good thing to read on a Sunday evening, thanks

Waynegro1
11-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Excellent story my friend. After I read your story I sat at my computer and thought about what you wrote. I found myself reflecting on my own life. You are absolutely right, with work, kids and the hustle/bustle of everyday life we do forget what's really important. I think our wives do get neglected at times. As I think about my wife, I have to say, without her I don't think I would have all these things I consider important or great in life. I know I wouldn't, she's given me pretty much everything I consider precious (except for cigars :r). Thanks for making me think, Al. :tu
Cigars work in mysterious ways.

taltos
11-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Well said Al.

Tio Gato
11-03-2008, 07:05 AM
You are a fortunate man indeed!
Thank you for reminding me that I'm a fortunate man also. My home was robbed last week and I've been a miserable bastard ever since.
Your post made me realize that there are more important things in life than stolen material possessions.

SmokeyJoe
11-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks, Al.

Perspective is a marvelous thing. Keep enjoying those precious blessings! :tu

smokeyscotch
11-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Cheers to you, Al. You have helped me see the light, and motivated me to be more alert to the blessings around me. Thanks for sharing.

Don Fernando
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
There's one song that always picks me up when I am down, or gets me back to reality when I am floating on cloud 9, because the lyrics make me reflect on my life and I realise that I should be happy with what I got, that there are millions or even billions of people that would love to be in my position

In another life
You might have been a genius
In another life
You might have been a star
In another life
Your face might have been perfect
In another life
You’d drive a better car

In another life
All your jokes are funny
In another life
Your heart is free from fear