PDA

View Full Version : Humidity too high

Mayor
04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
The new M+THC is great but I can't get the humidity below 72%.
I live at the coast so it's a humid climate.
Here is what I currently have:
-No water in the resivoirs
-65% beads (60% beads on the way!) [one poud of 65% still for sale]
-Added one of those DampRid things
-Yesterday put some pure silica odorless cat litter in
-increased the temp to 68F from 65F
Not sure if there is anything else to do before the 60% beads arrive.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks

captain53
04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
Hygrometer Accuracy?:banger

Mayor
04-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Hygrometer Accuracy?:banger

Yes, this is an Aristocrat with the digital set/forget system
Also the cigars are spongy

RGD.
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Yes, this is an Aristocrat with the digital set/forget system
Also the cigars are spongy

Were they that way when you got them? Yes? Then keep doing what you are doing and wait. Once they loose x amount of moisture it will settle down to where you want it. So don't worry about it.

Ron

Volt
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM

thanks

All sounds good so far - but raising the temp typically raises the humidity. Born and raised in Louisiana - I know dis for true :)

Mayor
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
All sounds good so far - but raising the temp typically raises the humidity. Born and raised in Louisiana - I know dis for true :)

Not true for a closed system, just the opposite.

G G
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM
I can tell ya that when the temp in my vinotemp goes up the humidity goes up. The opposite is true when it goes down, the humidity goes down. I live in Florida.

mash
04-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Do you have lots of cigars in there? If not, that will help. The fuller, the better.

Rich Yhlen
04-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Well, will send you my address and you can ship your premiums and rare's to me and I can smoke (ahem), hold them in my humi its at 70/70 constant.

Psojka RP,601
04-26-2010, 10:39 AM
ive gone as far as seasoning my humi again....that always helps...i usually do it twice a year and it always holds constant...

Mugen910
04-26-2010, 10:45 AM

thanks

how long did you let it season before throwing cigars in? I would take out the pure silica and not use them. Do you have boxes in there? Check and see if any of the boxes you placed inside are causing extra humidity to be released. I would say just lower the temp to 60, as high temps can add to humidity, and if you can just place your cigars in a cooler till the RH settles in your M+THC.

Well, will send you my address and you can ship your premiums and rare's to me and I can smoke (ahem), hold them in my humi its at 70/70 constant.

Original. 70/70 is not where he wants his cigars stored anyhow. ;) 60-65 is more of the median settings.

Rich Yhlen
04-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Original. 70/70 is not where he wants his cigars stored anyhow. ;) 60-65 is more of the median settings.[/QUOTE]

ok done lol -(P

pnoon
04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
ok done lol -(P

:confused: What is "done"?

md4958
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
if youre still having issues try going to your b&m and see if they will sell (most will just give) you some empty cedar boxes. Also grab the cedar blocks that come in these boxes too. The added mass might help your RH drop a bit.

If that doesnt work, have no fear. 72% actually isnt horrible, I dont think youd have mold issues at that RH, however you will probably have smoking issues. Get yourself a drybox and put some 60% beads in there. Take what you want to smoke out a day or two before and put it in the drybox. Sucks that you'll have to know in advance what you want to smoke, but wont suck as much as a wet smoke.

tomc3084
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
If it's upstairs, trying moving it to the basement...that worked for me...also try oust fans if you haven't already....

Mugen910
04-26-2010, 04:10 PM
oust fans will move the air around but it will not address the problem of high humidity. Moe's suggestion of adding more boxes should make a dent in the RH as long as they are not wet. I'd give it a shot.

yourchoice
04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Were they that way when you got them?

I'm with Ron. If a lot of the smokes were newer purchases, then it may just be they are boosting the humidity in the entire cabinet as many (most) retailers keep their cigars at a higher RH than many of us like. Of course if you moved them out of another humidor or coolidor that was properly maintained that idea is out the window.

EDIT: Okay, I just reviewed your previous posts, and I will assume many are not new purchases (nice looking collection you have Mayor. :tu) I'm not deleting my post in case in the future it helps someone else with a similar problem (assuming that person uses the search feature ;)).

Good luck with figuring out your issues. I am :confused:

EDIT #2: Still thinking about this... How did you go about seasoning the humidor? Could you have introduced too much humidity in that process?

BC-Axeman
04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Relative humidity is relative to temperature. 65% at 60 deg is less water than 65% at 70 deg. Think of it as 50% of $10 is less than 50% of $20. I would go by the feel of the cigars and try to keep them that way. Cooling the air will condense the moisture out of it. This is why a glass with ice in it sweats.

Cigary
04-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Have had this issue and I keep those little silica gel packs just for this reason alone. Throw a few of those in the humidor and your RH comes down quickly until everything gets back to normal. When mine spike after recharging beads/hygrometers/etc. the gel packs keep the RH down until things are regulated again.

Mayor
04-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions.
The humidity is starting to come down now.
Another member here said it took a month or so for his M+ to stabilize (he lives also near the ocean) trying different combinations of beads and water.
Thanks again.
I'll post a photo of the 'beast' later today.

j.

Xoner8
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
My M+ took about 2 weeks to settle to the proper humidity. Once it is stabilized, you will be fine. BTW< lots of great advice on this post! I love the asylum! Now get those pics up! :)