PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best MLB radio announcer?

blugill
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
I mean outside of Vin Scully who is just legendary. Who is the best?
I could listen to Vin read a phone book but who currently will call a game and sit you right beside them as they are doing it?
Posted via Mobile Device

elderboy02
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Marty Brennaman. He is a Hall of Famer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marty_Brennaman

yourchoice
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Is? IDK. But for me, listening to the late, great Harry Kalas partnered with Richie Ashburn during my youth was special.

bobarian
04-22-2010, 11:20 AM
This will be heavily biased by region and time period. Most local announcers are not heard on a regular basis outside their markets. The legends are legends because they called the game for long periods of time(20+ years) during the heyday of radio.

Today I enjoy Jon Miller's calls on both TV and radio.

As a kid Russ Hodges and Lon Simmons called a great game for the Giants. Bill King used to call for the A's. But I cannot compare them to others like Red Barber, Harry Carey or any of the other immortals because I never heard them regularly. :2

elderboy02
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Joe Nuxhall was another great announcer. I enjoyed Harry Carey as well. I cannot stand Chris Berman

VirtualSmitty
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Bob Carpenter i've always liked. Did a nice job in St. Louis and ESPN, and I like listening to him paired up with Rob Dibble during Nats games.

Michael Kay for the Yanks I hear a lot. I think he does a solid job. Vin Scully is a legend, but man a few innings listening to him and i'm out like a light :r

kelmac07
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Another vote for Jon Miller. +1

captain53
04-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately he passed away - Harry Carey. Of the living probably Skip Carey is the best.

blugill
04-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Here is why, I bought the MLB At Bat app for my iPhone.
I can listen to the home and away feeds and I'm looking for a great announcer to follow all season long.

Jbailey
04-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Bob Uecker. :tu

AD720
04-22-2010, 06:23 PM
Is? IDK. But for me, listening to the late, great Harry Kalas partnered with Richie Ashburn during my youth was special.

:tpd:

What a team...

Starscream
04-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Bob Uecker. :tu

Your biased b/c your a Brewers fan, Dave. But I agree he's one of the best. When the Reds play the Brewcrew, I tend to listen to Uecker over Brenneman. But Marty and the Cowboy make an awesome duo. The Cowboy Jeff Brantley is a future radio star to come imho.

elderboy02
04-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Your biased b/c your a Brewers fan, Dave. But I agree he's one of the best. When the Reds play the Brewcrew, I tend to listen to Uecker over Brenneman. But Marty and the Cowboy make an awesome duo. The Cowboy Jeff Brantley is a future radio star to come imho.

The Cowboy cracks me up.

yachties23
04-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Bob Carpenter i've always liked. Did a nice job in St. Louis and ESPN, and I like listening to him paired up with Rob Dibble during Nats games.

Michael Kay for the Yanks I hear a lot. I think he does a solid job. Vin Scully is a legend, but man a few innings listening to him and i'm out like a light :r

Thats bias Joe. I grew up in the same neighborhood as Kay, went to the same college, and I think Kay is possibly the worst play by play guy in the business.

Ernie Harwell, is on par with Kalas and Scully. Easily one of the best play by play guys I ever had the pleasure to listen too.

MiamiE
04-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Jon Boog Schiambi

VirtualSmitty
04-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Thats bias Joe. I grew up in the same neighborhood as Kay, went to the same college, and I think Kay is possibly the worst play by play guy in the business.

Ernie Harwell, is on par with Kalas and Scully. Easily one of the best play by play guys I ever had the pleasure to listen too.

No doubt it's bias. But it's who i've heard the most of over the years. Even though I watch a ton baseball games, I hardly ever know who the announcers are. Kay beats Keith Hernandez, someone needs to tell Keith to PULL THE MIC AWAY FROM HIS FACE :r

MedicCook
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I like John Sterling for the Yankees.

yachties23
04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
No doubt it's bias. But it's who i've heard the most of over the years. Even though I watch a ton baseball games, I hardly ever know who the announcers are. Kay beats Keith Hernandez, someone needs to tell Keith to PULL THE MIC AWAY FROM HIS FACE :r

Keith is a color guy. Gary Cohen is the met play by play guy and hes pretty good.

icehog3
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Ernie Harwell.

RightAJ
04-22-2010, 11:15 PM
No question- Harry K!

I do like John Sterling though, and Susan is the only woman announcer I like.

aj

VirtualSmitty
04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Keith is a color guy. Gary Cohen is the met play by play guy and hes pretty good.

Well, there's some bias right there. Keith is still an announcer and the fact he breathes so heavily into the mic, to the point it distracts me from the games sometimes, is a big hit against him.

And there is no way way Kay is the worst in the business. I say you watch some Dback games and listen to Mark Grace and whoever that other guy is, easily the worst pair in the league :2

St. Lou Stu
04-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Unfortunately he passed away - Harry Carey. Of the living probably Skip Carey is the best.

Skip died two years ago.

rack04
04-23-2010, 09:10 AM
I enjoy listening to Milo Hamilton.

14holestogie
04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Skip died two years ago.

Then I'm going with Mariah.....:D

chippewastud79
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Ernie Harwell, thus endeth the discussion. :tu