PDA

View Full Version : tatuajeanarchy.com

Tripp
04-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Just came across this on Twitter, I'm guessing its marketing for a new cigar line thats coming next year.

www.tatuajeanarchy.com

wolfandwhisky
04-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Just came across this on Twitter, I'm guessing its marketing for a new cigar line thats coming next year.

www.tatuajeanarchy.com

Member of another forum claims that from good sources it is an upcoming clothing line... not a cigar.

Tripp
04-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Member of another forum claims that from good sources it is an upcoming clothing line... not a cigar.

That was my first guess, but oh his twitter earlier today, he said "not clothing."

wolfandwhisky
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
That was my first guess, but oh his twitter earlier today, he said "not clothing."

ah, good to see. would be nice to have a new limited production cigar that we could all struggle to get!

Superbad
04-20-2010, 08:56 PM
2011 is a ways off, talk about building up hype early.

Emjaysmash
04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
2011 is a ways off, talk about building up hype early.

Thats all Tatuaje does.

Darrell
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Pete Johnson is a tool.

Adriftpanda
04-20-2010, 09:35 PM
omg... I have a feeling there will be about 10 pages of this...

replicant_argent
04-20-2010, 09:39 PM
omg... I have a feeling there will be about 10 pages of this...

Try 90, on 14 different threads.

Tripp
04-20-2010, 09:41 PM
why does every Tatuaje thread turn into a "Do you hate Tatuaje" thread?

Darrell
04-20-2010, 09:42 PM
why does every Tatuaje thread turn into a "Do you hate Tatuaje" thread?

Because people are tired of PT Johnson's gimmicks and BS and just want to enjoy good without all of the smoke and mirror tricks?

Pat1075
04-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Yay one more cigar, that I am sure will be great, but I won't be able to find. And when I finally do I have to pay 3x msrp

Dunkel
04-21-2010, 05:44 AM
The money whore is at it again. Yay another overpriced self destructing wrapped cigar. I can hardly wait! :rolleyes:

DougBushBC
04-21-2010, 06:09 AM
Wow, the anger... His cigars are great, he markets them well, yay capitalism.

Emjaysmash
04-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Wow, the anger... His cigars are great, he markets them well, yay capitalism.

I'll agree with you, he markets very well. I think most of his cigars are decent, but are not worth the trouble to find them and shell out the cash. Yay, capitalism.

Either way, it just gets back to the old adage: "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke." I have the feeling that this thread is going to turn into another Tat bashing seesion, becuase the release of the cigar is too far away to start talking about it. All the info we have is that fancy video on the site.

Volt
04-21-2010, 06:55 AM
I have $50 that says the hype will work. Example - the rush, whining, moaning when peeps could not track down the Boris and Dracs. If nothing else, his marketing is as good as Harleys.

Skywalker
04-21-2010, 07:00 AM
ah, good to see. would be nice to have a new limited production cigar that we could all struggle to get!

:r

Ender
04-21-2010, 07:07 AM
I love most Tatuaje cigars! Sure it's frustrating to find certain ones but it's just a cigar not a new type of technology/gadget that we absolutely MUST have. People shouldn't get all bent out of shape because a business owner knows how to market well enough to increase profits. Anyone in a position to hype up their own product to those that are fans of it for financial gain would do the same as Pete does.

weak_link
04-21-2010, 07:07 AM
I smoked an original jar release black this weekend that I had been holding onto. I can't for the life of me figure out what all the hype was about. Can't see getting all lathered up about his new venture.

replicant_argent
04-21-2010, 07:14 AM
. If nothing else, his marketing is as good as Harleys.

:r:r:r

I think he aspires to be the marketing machine that is Harvey Danielson.

A fluer de lis on clothing of any cigar smoker, or anyone that has had wistful thoughts of smoking a cigar at all times!!!! Even when you aren't smoking!
Let the world know you define yourself by your brand by constantly having a logo within dreamy gazing view, thusly redefining your sense of self imposed and elusive, yet gauzy, purchased well-being at every glance.

Limited time offer, BUY NOW, we may run out!

the fluer de lis will live in infamy!

(craftily adopted by Pete Johnson, and others, for centuries)
Didn't Affliction or one of the Ed Hardy douchebaggery companys start plastering FdL on everything in the past 4 or 5 years? Did Pete get cranky with them, and tell them that their stuff wasn't limited enough? Maybe the clothing idea isn't such a bad idea. :rolleyes: ;)

poker
04-21-2010, 07:38 AM
I have $50 that says the hype will work. Example - the rush, whining, moaning when peeps could not track down the Boris and Dracs. If nothing else, his marketing is as good as Harleys.

...but still short of the brilliance compared to Fuentes marketing.

Remember when the Opus was in its early stages? You could only find them east of the Mississippi. At the same time, they introduced the Diamond Crown line. Those they initially made only available west of the Mississippi.

What that did was create a chaotic situation in which west coasters were paying ridiculous inflated prices for Opus at local B&M's, and visa versa for the Diamond Crowns on the east coast. It increased demand for both products on a national level for smokers wanting what they could not normally acquire locally.

Brilliant.

jitzy
04-21-2010, 07:45 AM
More power to him, if his marketing nonsense works so be it no one forces any of us to buy any of his smokes. Personally I like most of what he has put out but I'm done trying to jump thru hoops for a cigar since there are a hell of a lot of great smokes out there.

neoflex
04-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Yes, he is a marketing machine but if the cigars didn't back up the hype in most cases the ploy would only work once maybe twice and he would quickly fade away. More often than not people really enjoy the cigars so the buildup and hype will work every time until he starts failing on putting out a product that people enjoy and backup the hype. I just wish he would make his price points a little more reasonable but at the end of the day lets face it, his job is producing and selling cigars. He does it to make a living and to make money so if what he is doing sells more product than he is good at what he is doing and making a good living because of it. Wouldn't we all like to make more money? Hell, most cigars could use a reduction in price but cigars are a luxury item and like most luxury items the prices aren't always reasonable. My only other real complaint other than price point is the delicacy of a lot of these special release cigars wrappers. For example the Verocu series. Those wrapper will pop and burst sometimes just looking at them funny but they're a great smoke and I made sure to stock up on them when I could. Until his product starts to fail to satisfy the masses I would expect to get used to Tatuaje to be around a while. Yes, trying to track down some of these smokes suck and the inflated prices from having to track down these smokes sucks too but no one is forcing you or I to go out an do it. I do find it funny how so many people hate Pete for his marketing tactics but Fuente who does the same thing every year with Opus and Anejos flies under the radar. Maybe it's because everyone is so used to it by now.

wolfandwhisky
04-21-2010, 08:38 AM
I love most Tatuaje cigars! Sure it's frustrating to find certain ones but it's just a cigar not a new type of technology/gadget that we absolutely MUST have. People shouldn't get all bent out of shape because a business owner knows how to market well enough to increase profits. Anyone in a position to hype up their own product to those that are fans of it for financial gain would do the same as Pete does.

Just like Steve Jobs. :=:

klipsch
04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
People that just walk into B&M's and have absolutely no idea of what a cigar forum is...enjoy whatever Tat's they happen upon and have no opinion of Pete Johnson.

T.G
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
People that just walk into B&M's and have absolutely no idea of what a cigar forum is...enjoy whatever Tat's they happen upon and have no opinion of Pete Johnson.

They've also been known to enjoy Cremosas and Puros Indios cigars too...

And the occasional $45 Opus X or $100 Burpha in a glass tube.

elderboy02
04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Pete Johnson is a cool guy. I like his cigars.

newlifetaxidermy
04-21-2010, 09:06 AM
I think capitalism is great...and Pete is a master of marketing. However, I have chosen not to chase after every limited production, best thing since sliced bread cigar that he (or anyone else) releases. If I can find them at one of the local B&Ms or online at reasonable prices, I will try them, just as I do with most every new release that comes out. In my experience, the limited production stuff is usually a let down anyway. The Dracs were mediocre at best. The Boris is better, but neither are as good as most of the regular production Pepin/Tatuaje products. The black tubos really aren't very good, IMO. The red tubos are much better and of all the limited production tats they are the best, but they are one of the easiest to find....go figure.

There is a difference between Opus/Anejo marketing and Tatuaje marketing. Opus are released quarterly and all the shops with Fuente accounts get some. So, they are limited, but can be easily obtained by the masses. Anejos are released once per year to all Fuente accounts and are still fairly easy to find. Hell, I've seen Anejos for sale in 2 different shops in the last month at MSRP. Even if you miss a release, you can get in on the next one with no sweat.

My point is that hype and marketing will buy you a pretty puppy, but only a truly great cigar will make him wag his tail. Pete's regular lines are great...especially the new El Triunfador. He does not need fancy packaging, limited production runs, golden tickets, or any of that other crap to sell cigars. They sell themselves. I'd rather all the manufacturers put their effort into making outstanding cigars than trying to sell me something with fancy packaging or a "limited" run.

marge796
04-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Pete Johnson is a cool guy. I like his cigars.

:tpd:

JJG
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I agree that Tatuaje has benefited greatly from some excellent marketing, but that link still baffles me. For one, I don't understand how pictures of police in riot gear and terrible music have anything to do with a cigar company. and second, what market segment of cigar smokers is that supposed to appeal to?

Even if it is a whole new venture unrelated to cigars, like clothing or music, it doesn't seem like it is meant to appeal to the majority of his current fans, based on that website.

Dunkel
04-21-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd rather all the manufacturers put their effort into making outstanding cigars than trying to sell me something with fancy packaging or a "limited" run.

Amen!

LasciviousXXX
04-21-2010, 10:10 AM
I think all the hating on a brand does a lot to discourage some of our newer members. Just something to think about CA family :2

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Because people are tired of PT Johnson's gimmicks and BS and just want to enjoy good without all of the smoke and mirror tricks?

Yep.

The cigar industry is different than most others. Its all about the product in the cigar world. Thats it. If you produce a great cigar, it will sell.

BC-Axeman
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
I think all the hating on a brand does a lot to discourage some of our newer members. Just something to think about CA family :2
Yeah, there some great Gurkhas, um... Tats!

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
IMO, Pete has already established himself and his cigars. The majority of people like his cigars. So anything he releases now and in the future will cause a buzz without all the marketing. He should back off the marketing, save a butt load of money, and let the crazy cigar folks talk up the cigars. He is a house hold name and shouldn't market his line/cigars like he is new anymore:2

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-21-2010, 10:28 AM

T.G
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
IMO, Pete has already established himself and his cigars. The majority of people like his cigars. So anything he releases now and in the future will cause a buzz without all the marketing. He should back off the marketing, save a butt load of money, and let the crazy cigar folks talk up the cigars. He is a house hold name and shouldn't market his line/cigars like he is new anymore:2

That's really only applicable to the forum crowds and a small percentage of non-forum types. Outside of that circle, he's still tiny, attempting to grow into small. Altadis or General probably sells more cigars in less than a week than he does in a year.

Hence the reason for the continued marketing.

If it works for him, great, go for it. I don't personally need or care for his parlor tricks, but at the end of the day, they really don't mean **** to me. Yes, I have fun poking at some of it, but I don't keep myself awake at night fretting over Pete's marketing campaign.

Ultimately, any increase in his sales is beneficial to the industry as a whole, because it pulls consumers further in. The further in that they are pulled, they more they buy, and not just his cigars, as they start looking around and venturing into other manufacturers.

And right now, with the S-CHIT taxes and more restrictions and regulations coming down the pipe seemingly daily, any one cigar maker or manufacturer's increase in sales benefits all cigar makers and manufacturers.

klipsch
04-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Outside of the forums...the marketing doesn't mean a thing. 99% of the time...I'm bringing the news to the B&M's. And if there isn't somebody in the shop that knows the line enough to be able to promote Pete's sticks...it won't even get off the ground. I've seen it happen...

Sorry...late edit: While we're talking about hype and marketing, here's a pic of the latest Monster...The Face

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/Kinolau/27053_1313673037005_1086030797_3079.jpg

Tripp
04-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Outside of the forums...the marketing doesn't mean a thing. 99% of the time...I'm bringing the news to the B&M's. And if there isn't somebody in the shop that knows the line enough to be able to promote Pete's sticks...it won't even get off the ground. I've seen it happen...

Sorry...late edit: While we're talking about hype and marketing, here's a pic of the latest Monster...The Face

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/Kinolau/27053_1313673037005_1086030797_3079.jpg

From the horses mouth(via Facebook)...

"The plan is to sell 666 limited edition boxes of 13 to 13 retailers on the 13th of Oct. and have 1300 plain boxes of 10 sold the week of Halloween to my top 130 retailers."

akumushi
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM

Nice.

Haters gonna hate, it gives them something to do. I like the Tatuaje and DPG regular lines enough that I don't feel the need to chase down the rare/htf stuff. I've had some of those releases and thought they were great, but when you start to get worked up and angry about finding/not finding a certain cigar it's time to actually light up and smoke what you've got and R-E-L-A-X. I think in the end, for me, all marketing is obnoxious, so I have a hard time taking any ad campaign seriously, and I don't see the need to single out one particular businessman to venomously denounce him for trying to make a buck. They're all out there doing the pretty much the same thing.
I think that all of the Pete bashing lately is not necessarily in the spirit or best interest of the forum, especially when the mantra is "smoke, what you like, like what you smoke." We know you don't like PJ guys, some of us do, there's no need to spit everytime the name is mentioned. :2

Tripp
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Nice.

Haters gonna hate, it gives them something to do. I like the Tatuaje and DPG regular lines enough that I don't feel the need to chase down the rare/htf stuff. I've had some of those releases and thought they were great, but when you start to get worked up and angry about finding/not finding a certain cigar it's time to actually light up and smoke what you've got and R-E-L-A-X. I think in the end, for me, all marketing is obnoxious, so I have a hard time taking any ad campaign seriously, and I don't see the need to single out one particular businessman to venomously denounce him for trying to make a buck. They're all out there doing the pretty much the same thing.
I think that all of the Pete bashing lately is not necessarily in the spirit or best interest of the forum, especially when the mantra is "smoke, what you like, like what you smoke." We know you don't like PJ guys, some of us do, there's no need to spit everytime the name is mentioned. :2

:tpd:

newlifetaxidermy
04-21-2010, 12:19 PM

I don't think people are hating on the brand, they are just hating on the gimmicks and marketing. I have not read a post where folks are bashing the sticks. On the contrary, Tats are some of the best NC sticks out there.

He will never be as big as Altadis or General. If that is his plan, I think he is living in lala land. People recognize brands like Punch, Montecristo, RyJ, etc from the brands' Cuban heritage. To say that selling some monster themed sticks or whatever marketing ploy you can come up with is going to boost your name recognition to that of brands that are well over 100 yrs old is crazy.

The best marketing tool for cigars is still the rating your brand receives in Cigar Aficionado magazine. While we all have our opinions about the magazine, it is where the average cigar smoker on the street gets his or her information about different cigars.

I could understand all the marketing ploys and gimmicks if Pete made chitty cigars (look at the way CI, JRs, Thompson, etc market some of the off-the-wall nastiness). His smokes are some of the best in the business and deserve to be treated as such. I can understand making a few collectors boxes, etc but making a limited production that sells at only certain shops and then hyping it up is and was a recipe for disaster. Folks were calling around to different B&Ms looking for Dracs. While this seems to be good for boosting the brand, I think a lot of folks got their feelings hurt as a lot of loyal Tat fans were not able to procure them on the open market and had to pay through the nose for them. Some B&M owners were jealous of others who received shipments and they didn't...etc. It damaged B&M reputations with their local customers in some cases and was an all around boondoggle over cigars that were not some of his best work. He could have sold more cigars at the same price by offering every one of his retailers a certain number of boxes.

replicant_argent
04-21-2010, 12:28 PM
not to mention the whole ticket thing was insanely stupid, with retailers eligible to win.
I like Tatuaje.. a lot. They are some really nicely blended sticks.

I just can't afford them as it is, and I don't see them being as good a value as many other alternatives I can easily get for what I perceive is a a better value when my cigar budget isn't what I would like it to be.

And it helps to not feel/look like an 8 year old searching for an elusive Pokemon card. ;)

Volt
04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
...but still short of the brilliance compared to Fuentes marketing.

Remember when the Opus was in its early stages? You could only find them east of the Mississippi. At the same time, they introduced the Diamond Crown line. Those they initially made only available west of the Mississippi.

What that did was create a chaotic situation in which west coasters were paying ridiculous inflated prices for Opus at local B&M's, and visa versa for the Diamond Crowns on the east coast. It increased demand for both products on a national level for smokers wanting what they could not normally acquire locally.

Brilliant.

Sorry - I'm just a noob in the cigar world, maybe 5 years. I missed that one with the Opus.

akumushi
04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
not to mention the whole ticket thing was insanely stupid, with retailers eligible to win.
I like Tatuaje.. a lot. They are some really nicely blended sticks.

I just can't afford them as it is, and I don't see them being as good a value as many other alternatives I can easily get for what I perceive is a a better value when my cigar budget isn't what I would like it to be.

And it helps to not feel/look like an 8 year old searching for an elusive Pokemon card. ;)
:tu

I also can't afford much of the Tatuaje line. Last year with the Drac looming and hype building, I thought to myself, wow, I can have thirteen of this NC Limited Release that may or may not be good, or a whole box of 25 CC Monte Especiales. Let me just say I'm really enjoying those Especiales, and having avoided the Drac fiasco entirely, I can still say I like Pete Johnson and his product. ;s

floydpink
04-21-2010, 12:39 PM

I must really be what PT Barnum was talking about.....

I fell head over heals for that clever marketing from the boys at the Moco.

Volt
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
I thought I might repost after reading some of the followup postings.

In case any thought I was bashing the sticks, in no way. Smoke what you can afford and what you like and enjoy. Life is way to short to smoke bad sticks.

I was commenting more on his marketing. As others have noted, it also comes accross as gimmicky to me and that gets my cynical warning thoughts going. I am definitly more of the word of mouth for a good product advertising type. Too much smoke and mirrors looks shady, your milage may vary.

Whether it's good sticks, the marketing, distrobution, he has folks chasing his product. Good for him. As I noted on par with HD, Apple, etc that have a lot of the fans. I hop in and out of HD stock all the time because they can sell "stuff". I think their motorcycles are not necessarily the best (before you start hating, I currently own a '07 Streetglide) but HD knows how to move product. Apple has people upgrading a phone, device at least once a year. All good for the bottom dollar.

I do think at this point based on local B&Ms in VA, his product is out there. A bit higher priced than the average stick, but he is not unknown. I'm not sure at the end of the day what image, opinion, etc he wants folks to have concerning him and his product, but at this point, he still comes accross as a shuckster type to me and I don't think that's a fair representation of his cigars.

Volt
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I must really be what PT Barnum was talking about.....

I fell head over heals for that clever marketing from the boys at the Moco.

Too funny, guess who pulled into town today and is setting up at the colosieum?

newlifetaxidermy
04-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Sorry - I'm just a noob in the cigar world, maybe 5 years. I missed that one with the Opus.

Opus X came out in the late 90s...

floydpink
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Too funny, guess who pulled into town today and is setting up at the colosieum?

Who? The circus? Hells Angels?

Gotta give Harley credit; for over 100 years, they've been tricking people into spending 3 tiimes as much as as a metric for a third of the bike they tell me.

Sorry, this is about Pete Johnson...

tomc3084
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Pete Johnson is a tool.

:xxx

tedrodgerscpa
04-21-2010, 01:43 PM
90% of the cigars I smoke are Cuban, and the other 10% are DPG. Once my existing stock is gone, I don't intend to replace it except to support my B&M's on occasion.

DPG Blends for Tatuaje, and I like the majority of the line, sans Ambos Mundos.

Marketing 101 says that hype is key to developing interest in a brand.

Ladies and Germs, smoke what you like and like what you smoke. Whether you like Pete, Rocky, Jose/Jorge, Don Pepin, Kaizad, Dion, etc., doesn't really matter.

One could argue that REs and ELs are just hype, too... Don't lose sight of the forest from the trees...

tmoney2007
04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
You wake up every day and decide what kind of person you are going to be and what kind of day you are going to have. You can look at all the hype around Tatuaje's products and decide that you are going to have fun with it and see if you can get a hold of some, speculate about what he is going to do next, or you can throw hate and ***** about this or that or how you can't get them, or how its a gimmick...

If you don't think you should have to pay over MSRP for a cigar just because it is limited, don't. I agree that people buying boxes and trying to flip them for twice what they payed is messed up, so I don't buy from them. I know I haven't paid any extra much extra for any of the LE cigars I have bought.

Its not like the type of advertising a certain brand uses affects you in the least and its not like you will die if you don't get to taste any particular cigar.

You are free to express your opinions, but realize that the opinions you choose to express affect people's perception of the community. There seem to be cigar communities that love Tatuaje, some that hate it and some that treat it like any other brand. I'd rather be a part of the latter.

akumushi
04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
You wake up every day and decide what kind of person you are going to be and what kind of day you are going to have. You can look at all the hype around Tatuaje's products and decide that you are going to have fun with it and see if you can get a hold of some, speculate about what he is going to do next, or you can throw hate and ***** about this or that or how you can't get them, or how its a gimmick...

If you don't think you should have to pay over MSRP for a cigar just because it is limited, don't. I agree that people buying boxes and trying to flip them for twice what they payed is messed up, so I don't buy from them. I know I haven't paid any extra much extra for any of the LE cigars I have bought.

Its not like the type of advertising a certain brand uses affects you in the least and its not like you will die if you don't get to taste any particular cigar.

You are free to express your opinions, but realize that the opinions you choose to express affect people's perception of the community. There seem to be cigar communities that love Tatuaje, some that hate it and some that treat it like any other brand. I'd rather be a part of the latter.
Word.
I think there is a serious need for butt cream on this issue, with the amount of people that are butt-sore over Tatuaje. While we respect varying opinions on this forum and coming out in a review that a cigar doesn't do it for you is a worthwhile contribution to the forum assuming you've tried it, it seems like the opinions expressed on the issue are bordering on needless flaming. Almost every new thread on Tatuaje lately gets thread-jacked by people with an agenda against Pete Johnson. I don't think they realize that when it's consistent enough, and when the same people are saying the same thing on thread after thread, it creates a hostile, divisive envrionment when you can't discuss a new release or review a stick without the thread turning into an "I hate Pete Johnson" fest. That's what people are saying might turn new members away from the forum. I would hate to lose membership just because a few people can't stop themselves from sh*tting on every thread that mentions Tatuaje. Especially when it's respectable, long time BOTLs that should be the bedrock of our community.

BC-Axeman
04-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I would argue that REs and ELs are just hype, too. :D

wolfandwhisky
04-21-2010, 05:15 PM
I like Pete Johnson's cigars as long as I get the ones I want.

maninblack
04-21-2010, 05:19 PM
This is an entertaining thread. I thought most peeps here loved Tats. I've never had one or care to pay alot for them, but thats just me. I got plenty other smokes that make me happy. Like the rev says, like what you smoke, smoke what you like. Words to live by.

wolfandwhisky
04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
back to the original topic of tatuaje anarchy....

From another board:

"It's a limited run cigar for a retailer's anniversary. The retailer needs to remain a secret."

DougBushBC
04-21-2010, 06:21 PM

There is a big difference, if you polled the majority of smokers, they would say that Ghurka never ever lives up to any hype. I would wager most would say that Tats, while maybe hyped up, typically are in the ballpark of the best NC cigars out there. I really can't think of a line of cigars OTHER THAN PADRON and OPUS/ANEJO that consistently makes a really great cigar. Ghurkas are dog turds, you wont ever hear anyone say that about Tats.

I consider myself a VERY well educated smoker, and know a lot about cigars, and 7+ times out of 10 if I go into a random B&M and buy to support, its gonna be a Tat (J21 if they have it, Especiales if they don't).

tomc3084
04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
back to the original topic of tatuaje anarchy....

From another board:

"It's a limited run cigar for a retailer's anniversary. The retailer needs to remain a secret."
For NHC I believe......

Tripp
04-21-2010, 06:37 PM
For NHC I believe......

That'd be my first guess as well.

wolfandwhisky
04-21-2010, 07:22 PM
For NHC I believe......

So... who's offering to secure a box for me? :dr:D:tu

Darrell
04-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Ghurkas are dog turds, you wont ever hear anyone say that about Tats.

Tats are dog turds. :D

Tripp
04-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Tats are dog turds. :D

I saw that one coming. :r

BC-Axeman
04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
I have yet to smoke a Tat I would pay for. Not bad but not that good either. I have smoked some Gurkha dog rockets but G3s are one of my favorite smokes. Maybe Tat has something I would add to my list but I haven't smoked it yet. I am not going out of my way for the new release but might try it if I get the chance. I would rather find a reliable regular production cigar I like.

DougBushBC
04-22-2010, 04:53 AM
I have yet to smoke a Tat I would pay for. Not bad but not that good either. I have smoked some Gurkha dog rockets but G3s are one of my favorite smokes. Maybe Tat has something I would add to my list but I haven't smoked it yet. I am not going out of my way for the new release but might try it if I get the chance. I would rather find a reliable regular production cigar I like.

Despite all the trash talking here, there are MANY great tat regular production cigars, not everything they make is limited run.

BC-Axeman
04-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Despite all the trash talking here, there are MANY great tat regular production cigars, not everything they make is limited run.
"Great" is subjective enough. I have only tried four different Tats and I will try others but "great" hasn't happened to me yet.
I am not trashing PJ or his cigars. I find the ones I like from many companies, even Gurkha or Altadis or some of the others that people like to trash. These new "Face" cigars look interesting but as they are not something you will be able to get anytime you want I will let them pass.
Smoke what you like...:ss

shilala
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM
"Great" is subjective enough. I have only tried four different Tats and I will try others but "great" hasn't happened to me yet.
I am not trashing PJ or his cigars. I find the ones I like from many companies, even Gurkha or Altadis or some of the others that people like to trash. These new "Face" cigars look interesting but as they are not something you will be able to get anytime you want I will let them pass.
Smoke what you like...:ss
I've tried a heck of a lot more than four Tat products and haven't found one fit to smoke, as of yet. I have a few cigars and you won't find a Tat anywhere (I don't think.)
I just don't like them. It's that black peppery pine tree flavor in the back of my mouth. It just puts me off, bad. I can't stand it.
That said, I keep trying them. Unless it's a Noella Especial or El Triunfador. I've never even experienced a Gurkha that was remotely as vile. How anyone can smoke either and not chunk is a mystery to me.
That's where subjective comes in. I don't think there's anything great about Tats. Not even remotely. But, I have to take into mind that tons of people love them. And from my experience, their construction is beyond reproach.
I've seen lots of his interviews and read a lot of stuff Pete has written. I'm glad Pete does what he does. He enjoys it, and he makes lots of people very happy.There can't be anything bad about that.
Except maybe his cigars. :r
:=:

boom
04-22-2010, 07:49 AM
From a business stand point Pete has great marketing appeal... Those that want to chase them down will, I agree retailers should have no part in his contests... Did any one win the Ducati ? I like most of his products... In fact I just got my hands on a 5er of Dracs thanks to one of our very own her... I won't participate in his antics.... My local B&M got a Golden ticket....Haven't been there since.... I am still looking out for a Boris or 5er, some day I will get the pleasure to enjoy one just not meant to be yet...

tomc3084
04-22-2010, 07:56 AM
NHC cigar:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1572979468 seems to be same as sw and sw maduro....hopet hey come out with somethin g smaller than 40 ct boxes, thats a big commitment....maybe a box plit will be in order when they come out, the sw is one of his cgars i enjoyed, i actually liked the nat better over the 1 maddie i had....i actuallly traded my 2nd maddie for a natural, i have been called crazy for this

shilala
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
NHC cigar:http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1572979468 seems to be same as sw and sw maduro....hopet hey come out with somethin g smaller than 40 ct boxes, thats a big commitment....maybe a box plit will be in order when they come out, the sw is one of his cgars i enjoyed, i actually liked the nat better over the 1 maddie i had....i actuallly traded my 2nd maddie for a natural, i have been called crazy for this
That link didn't work, Tom. It gets automatically shortened.
Use the little "insert link" trick. Highlight the text, click the little earth/chain icon, and drop the url in there.
Don't know why links get chopped by the software here, but it happens.
I wanna see those smokes. :)

Tripp
04-22-2010, 08:56 AM
That link didn't work, Tom. It gets automatically shortened.
Use the little "insert link" trick. Highlight the text, click the little earth/chain icon, and drop the url in there.
Don't know why links get chopped by the software here, but it happens.
I wanna see those smokes. :)

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs496.snc3/27104_1342262447953_1572979468_30804948_5714847_n. jpg

There ya go, Scott. Doesn't look like an SW to me, as they're 6 3/4 x 42, same size as cazadores iirc.

Tatuaje
04-23-2010, 01:04 AM
For NHC I believe......

No

icehog3
04-23-2010, 01:08 AM
No

Then for whom?

Tatuaje
04-23-2010, 03:21 AM
By now all should know I do the Halloween cigar every year. I do this to have fun with the brand and at the same time create buzz. This is something I will continue to do. Last year many things caused problems this is why I am changing to something simple. For all the collectors, I am still making the funky gimmicky box and releasing it first. Then I am also releasing the same cigar two weeks later in plain boxes for people that only care about the smokes. Just under 22,000 cigars which happens to be a lot for a company my size and should be enough to make it easy to find. No spooky ticket and no giveaway. Just cigars for the holiday.

The Tatuaje Anarchy thing, I can't take credit for. I do know it will be easy to find. That's all I can say as I've been asked to keep quiet.

The NHC cigar will be easy to find as it's made for NHC only. They come in boxes of 40 but I am sure that Dan will be making samplers in different formats and the price is right.

I respect the opinions but the name calling is stupid. Don't like the product don't buy it. Don't like my marketing (which by the way , I don't know marketing) Don't buy the product. I make tons of regular production product that people can buy at a good price point that has no gimmicks tied to it.

GreekGodX
04-23-2010, 04:06 AM
By now all should know I do the Halloween cigar every year. I do this to have fun with the brand and at the same time create buzz. This is something I will continue to do. Last year many things caused problems this is why I am changing to something simple. For all the collectors, I am still making the funky gimmicky box and releasing it first. Then I am also releasing the same cigar two weeks later in plain boxes for people that only care about the smokes. Just under 22,000 cigars which happens to be a lot for a company my size and should be enough to make it easy to find. No spooky ticket and no giveaway. Just cigars for the holiday.

The Tatuaje Anarchy thing, I can't take credit for. I do know it will be easy to find. That's all I can say as I've been asked to keep quiet.

The NHC cigar will be easy to find as it's made for NHC only. They come in boxes of 40 but I am sure that Dan will be making samplers in different formats and the price is right.

I respect the opinions but the name calling is stupid. Don't like the product don't buy it. Don't like my marketing (which by the way , I don't know marketing) Don't buy the product. I make tons of regular production product that people can buy at a good price point that has no gimmicks tied to it.

First of all good to see you posting on here, Pete.

Your brand is one of the few NC brands that I still enjoy. I like the Halloween series and all the unique stuff you do with your brand. Ulike other brands, you back your great branding with a quality cigar. I'm definitely looking forward to your future cigars :tu

I wouldn't take some of the comments seriously on here. Keep doing what you're doing. Hope to see you in Michigan soon.

Patrick B
04-23-2010, 04:19 AM
First of all good to see you posting on here, Pete.

Your brand is one of the few NC brands that I still enjoy. I like the Halloween series and all the unique stuff you do with your brand. Ulike other brands, you back your great branding with a quality cigar. I'm definitely looking forward to your future cigars :tu

I wouldn't take some of the comments seriously on here. Keep doing what you're doing. Hope to see you in Michigan soon.

Ditto on the above. I once had dinner and smokes with Pete and talked cigars for hours. I TRULY think he does the special stuff b/c he wants to make cool and fun stuff that people will enjoy, not purely as a cash-grab or for the marketing boost. Some people should be embarrassed by their comments in this thread.

DougBushBC
04-23-2010, 04:25 AM

Thanks for checking in on this thread, there are still lots of fans of your products here don't let this thread make you think this whole board is drinking that tatuaje haterade

Ender
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
Ditto on the above. I once had dinner and smokes with Pete and talked cigars for hours. I TRULY think he does the special stuff b/c he wants to make cool and fun stuff that people will enjoy, not purely as a cash-grab or for the marketing boost. Some people should be embarrassed by their comments in this thread.

:tpd:True.
Personally I think PJ's gimmicks are fun to see in this type of hobby. I'm pretty stoked to see Pete posting in here. Thanks Pete!

klipsch
04-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks for chiming in here Pete. Love your cigars!

issues
04-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the info Pete! :tu

On a side note those NHCs look tasty! :dr

If they're the SW blend in a Lonsdale vitola I will be ecstatic! No question I will be picking up a box of these on release.

I enjoy the chase and I enjoy HTFs. Sure it sucks when you smoke them up and you know you can never get anymore or you miss the boat and never get your hands on them (like me with the monster series to date :bh) but something else will come along and the chase begins again. Many of us enjoy it whether it be EL, LE, Regionals, NCs or CCs. I find nothing wrong with it.

That also may be because I have yet to get burned too many times since almost every HTF I have come across has been quite good.

icehog3
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Thank you for chiming in Pete, good to have you here. :)

shilala
04-23-2010, 12:36 PM
If it's Anarchy, what's with the secrets and rule following? Did someone drop the dictionary on this one? ;)

JE3146
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM
If it's Anarchy, what's with the secrets and rule following? Did someone drop the dictionary on this one? ;)

shilala
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Jordan. I thought that was wasted. :D

Tatuaje
04-23-2010, 07:15 PM

LOL,,,Yeah I know

macpappy
04-24-2010, 06:08 AM
New marketing slogan:

Tatuaje! The Apple of the cigar world

What can I say. I have bought Tatuaje's and liked the ones I have bought.

UPHOTO
04-24-2010, 10:10 AM

So since I get sick of your "i'm so great" attitude I can go on here and say you are a tool?

I think that the mod's would put an end to it if I was personally attacking you all the time.

Show the same respect and be a decent human being.

T.G
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Woah, wait, what?

Darrell is human?

You sure about that?

Darrell
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
So since I get sick of your "i'm so great" attitude I can go on here and say you are a tool?

Sure, call me whatever you want.

I think that the mod's would put an end to it if I was personally attacking you all the time.

Who knows, give it a try. Take a risk! :D

Show the same respect and be a decent human being.

OK!

I apologize for calling you a tool, Pete. What I really meant is that I don't care for your strategy for building hype on your cigars. I know that is the core of marketing, building anticipation for something. However I don't like how upset it makes people when they search, search, search and are sad when they cannot find them.

:)

floydpink
04-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Pete,

I personally love your blends and they are one of the few NC's I buy on a regular basis.

While I don't go too crazy looking for the hard to finds, I am a huge fan of the brown label regios.

I did stumble upon some Blacks in the tube at Corona in Orlando recently and enjoyed them a bunch.

Jbailey
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I watched the video and wondering if Anarchy is an acronym.

On the website it's a.n.a.r.c.h.y. :r

icantbejon
06-22-2010, 11:11 AM
These threads always go off on the most irrelevant tangents. Who cares if someone does or does not like Pete Johnson. I would go so far as to say that the very large majority of people saying they don't like him have never seen the guy outside of a google photo. This thread is about an upcoming product (I'll assume it's a cigar since the one guy said it's not clothing).

Pistol
06-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Wow, this was an interesting thread! I don't really have a super emotional opinion on Pete Johnson or his cigars. The tatuajes that I've had have all been decent cigars, and they seem to be priced about right (I haven't chased any of the limited runs). For what it's worth, I'm all for his marketing campaign. What could be more American? It makes good business sense to me; he's creating hype and demand for his cigars, what's wrong with that? Any good business person trying to make their way in the world would do the same damned thing. If you want one of his cigars and can't get one, too bad! Either try harder next time, be willing to cough up more money, or be left out - it's that simple! Just because you enjoy Tatuaje cigars doesn't mean you are entitled to one of their limited/exclusive lines! Do people bash Corvette when they release limited run cars? Are all Corvette fans that have a standard built car entitled to a limited run car? Of course not! That's why they are LIMITED RELEASES!! There is a limit to how many are made, and therefore they command a higher price than REGULAR releases! It seems to me that Pete Johnson puts out a quality cigar (for the most part, I haven't tried them all), and he markets them aggressively. What the hell is wrong with that?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but just because I enjoy Cohibas doesn't mean I'm entitled to a Behike. If I want one that badly, I should be willing shell out some dough, but I'm not willing to, and that doesn't hurt my feelings or change my opinions on Cohiba/Habanos SA one bit.

poker
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
However I don't like how upset it makes people when they search, search, search and are sad when they cannot find them.

...and is this different from finding many other sticks how? Fuentes, Padrons, and many others not to mention certain Cuban marcas were, or still are just as hard to find if not harder.

The way I look at it, if a person dosent like a brand for whatever reason, just dont buy them. Period. Pretty simple concept really & it dosent require a Masters degree to figure out.

I havent ever smoked a Tat anything to be honest and it would be probably safe to assume I wont like them, but geeze man OBVIOUSLY many folks do, so why should I knock what someone else enjoys?

To each their own. If you aint footing the bill for someone else's Tat's, you got nothing to say other than you dont like the cigars.

:2

klipsch
06-22-2010, 11:55 AM
However I don't like how upset it makes people when they search, search, search and are sad when they cannot find them.

...and is this different from finding many other sticks how? Fuentes, Padrons, and many others not to mention certain Cuban marcas were, or still are just as hard to find if not harder.

Or anything else for that matter...cell phones, dvds, concert and sporting event tickets...etc. If somebody feels sad enough times over something that's really important to them...they'll figure out what needs to be done to stop feeling sad. IE: Find out how to obtain whatever they feel is important, or make it unimportant anymore. Those people who aren't on the different cigar boards, don't know that the majority of boutique cigars even exist...so they have no reason for bad feelings. And for those of us who are on the different cigar boards monitoring every move out favorite blenders make...well, we're poorer for it... :r

And as if chasing Tat's wasn't bad enough...now there's this Andre guy... :bh

marge796
06-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Pete keep on keeping on with your Holiday line, it’s a great product and IMO & fun to try to track down a box or two.

I look forward to meeting you during your upcoming visit to Outlaw Cigars in Kansas City next month!

:tu :tu :tu

Chris.....

marge796
06-22-2010, 12:55 PM

The way I look at it, if a person dosent like a brand for whatever reason, just dont buy them. Period. Pretty simple concept really & it dosent require a Masters degree to figure out.

I havent ever smoked a Tat anything to be honest and it would be probably safe to assume I wont like them, but geeze man OBVIOUSLY many folks do, so why should I knock what someone else enjoys?

To each their own. If you aint footing the bill for someone else's Tat's, you got nothing to say other than you dont like the cigars.

:2

Well said, Kelly!

Chris.....

JJG
06-22-2010, 01:12 PM
so I guess this thread got bumped because of the other Tat Anarchy thread, but there is no new info on this strange mystery product yet? just checking :tu

rizzle
06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Sing it with me now,

Somewhere over the rainbow...

:xxx

neoflex
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
i like turtles!

AlohaStyle
06-22-2010, 03:20 PM
so I guess this thread got bumped because of the other Tat Anarchy thread, but there is no new info on this strange mystery product yet? just checking :tu

No there is not... Pete will not say anything specific until the release gets closer. I believe it's supposed to be next year.