PDA

View Full Version : The power of a cigar

Superbad
04-20-2010, 07:57 PM
I am amazed at the healing power of the cigar. These little bundles of tasty leaf can really repair someone's spirit.
Around 10 years ago, a good friend of mine broke his back. Very nasty motorcycle accident, on dirt, I was there when he wrecked. He was very lucky and the shards of bone did not pierce his spinal cord, but they came very close. He spent a long time in bed, and in a back brace. The Doctor told him he had to start sitting up more, so I started bringing a few cigars to his house at least once a week. Both of us looked forward to the chance to sit on his porch, smoke a cigar, and chat. I think it really took his mind off things for a while, and he felt more normal. We shared a few RyJ's from way down south florida, these were a birthday gift from a friend of my parents. The had been aging for years in their humidor, and I was honored they shared with me. The special cigars were enjoyed the day he got out of his brace. He is long since healed and back to being a cop, but I truly believe the cigars helped him to recover his spirit.

Fast forward to a few months ago. My branch got a new admin assistant. She was telling me how 4 years ago her husband took a header from 3 stories up while doing framing on a construction job. Many years of crazy radical surgery and he is mostly normal. He is considered "brain injured". In some ways he is like a 7 year old kid, and others a full grown man. They are pretty much broke because the prime contractor for the job had done some "creative" insurance planning and he was effectively uninsured, although they are going to court about this. Well she told me he always wanted to open a premium cigar store, and if they ever get a settlement that is what he wants to do. Once I knew he liked cigars, I started to bring her some nice cigars every week or so. Apparently these are the highlight of his day, and she always relays his review back to me. The CAO LX2 I sent the other day elicited "Boy he likes some strong cigars". I have never met the guy in person, but once again I am really hoping for some spiritual healing to flow from the good cigars.

Thanks for listening, just thought this was the right crowd to share with.

BC-Axeman
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
You can stop and enjoy and relax. It has to be healing.
Thanks for the stories.

yourchoice
04-20-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks for sharing Bobby. Good stories. :tu

RevSmoke
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Good stuff there.

kelmac07
04-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Nice!! :tu

Ogre
04-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Sweet story. I totally believe that power as well

maninblack
04-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Very nice my man!!

icehog3
04-21-2010, 12:55 AM
I believe! :tu

68TriShield
04-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Great stuff Bobby!

Nurse_Maduro
04-21-2010, 07:07 AM
Great post!
That's really what I love about this hobby...how great it feels to bring someone else into the fold. Or just gift someone unexpectedly and put a smile on his/her face. It really is a brotherhhod.

shilala
04-21-2010, 07:23 AM
It's a nice way to spread some love, that's for sure. :tu

G G
04-21-2010, 07:44 AM
Very cool.:tu

jitzy
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Awesome story

NeverEnoughStick
04-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Thanks for sharing Bobby!! :tu

issues
04-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks for sharing the story Bobby, great stuff! :tu

poker
04-21-2010, 08:00 AM
Nice! :tu

Goldie
04-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Definitely cool stories. Sometimes it doesn't take much to mean a lot to someone.

Skywalker
04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Thanks for sharing!!!:tu

LasciviousXXX
04-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Great story bro. It's a good thing you are doing for people and it will come back to you :tu

I always loved how a good cigar can center you and help you see what's important in life.

KenyanSandBoa
04-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Great story!!

I completely agree that there is a healing property with cigars. They force you to slow down and just relax. I always smoke on my deck, and I feel so relaxed during/after a cigar becuase I spend my time either with good people, or just sit there and watch nature in all its glory.

spectrrr
04-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Totally agree with that!

Nothing gets my week back to centered like a cigar.... lets me return my focus on whats important in life.

Superbad
04-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone. I knew this was the right audience to share this with. Looks like I have found a new home on the web.
Tomorrow I am bringing a LGC Churchill to gift the gentleman I mentioned above. I hope he likes it. I think he will.

dccraft
04-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I knew this was the right audience to share this with. Looks like I have found a new home on the web.
Tomorrow I am bringing a LGC Churchill to gift the gentleman I mentioned above. I hope he likes it. I think he will.

I'm sure he will love it. Thanks for the story.

nomadicwookie
04-27-2010, 07:19 AM
What a great story. A cigar can be a truly powerful thing on it's own but the experience is about so much more. For me it gives me some much needed personal time to be introspective. It also grants me the opportunity to share something I really enjoy with a loved one or a dear friend and it's a great way to make new aquaintances who share a similar passion. Thanks again for sharing.

thebiglebowski
04-27-2010, 08:14 AM
nice story(s), thanks for sharing with us.

1badhog07
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Man that was pretty healing in itself just reading this,thanks for posting..

Superbad
05-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Since my last post I have passed a bunch of cigars on to my coworkers husband. I love to hear about his reactions to the cigars. The best so far is, I sent a couple LGC (NC) Churchills home with his wife. When he saw them, he whispered to her, "these are CUBAN'S!" I explained to her that they were not cuban cigars, but she did not want to burst his bubble. I sent him a Gurkha Archive churchill the other day, and I am anxious to hear how he liked it, personally I am not a gurkha fan. He likes the cigars so much he tries to save them and only smoke half of it and smoke the other half the next. I told her to tell him to cut the bigger cigars in half.

Huskysibe
05-16-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for sharing, and may the good Karma flow back your way brother.