PDA

View Full Version : Cigars In History (Apollo 11)

Druid_Geek
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Hello All,

I was browsing these pictures of the Apollo 11 mission and came across this photo. I couldn't make out from the picture
what brand was on the box but figured someone on here would probably be able to spot it.

http://www.pdnphotooftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/12-celebration.jpg

Cheers,

DG

Skywalker
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Very cool photo!!!:tu

icehog3
04-20-2010, 04:16 PM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Apollo13.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Shepard.jpg

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/lovell.jpg

jitzy
04-20-2010, 04:22 PM
cool photo's It's nice to see men being allowed to be men before all the anti smoking laws kicked in

sikk50
04-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Couldn't make it out, but awesome pictures!

Wasn't that the mission the conspiracy theorists think saw a UFO or something?

willbreathes
04-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Very cool!

(sorry for not adding some more substance to this thread, ha!)

KenyanSandBoa
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
cool photo's It's nice to see men being allowed to be men before all the anti smoking laws kicked in

:tpd:...we claim to be free, but we continue to remove our freedoms. I probably wouldn't hate working in an office if I could smoke a nice cigar during the day. :D

Very cool!

(sorry for not adding some more substance to this thread, ha!)

I'm pretty much doing the same thing...but those are cool pics. :tu

T.G
04-20-2010, 06:34 PM
I think I can make out the word Palma _____ on the side.
Looks like a 50 count box.
Appears that a tobacco advertising sticker or some sort has been applied to the side of the box.
The reflections off the Cigars make them appear as if they might be in cello
Box looks like it might be cardboard.

I'm thinking that they were probably just a box of inexpensive machine made drugstore cigars.

68TriShield
04-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Appears that a tobacco advertising sticker or some sort has been applied to the side of the box.

I'm thinking that they were probably just a box of inexpensive machine made drugstore cigars.

I recall seeing lots of cigarette smoking photos at the various mission control centers too.

Neuromancer
04-20-2010, 06:47 PM

Looks to me like Palma Deluxe...and the last letters of the main label seems to be "oum" or "oux"...Tinder Box and Dutch Masters both made a "palma deluxe"...

Skywalker
04-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Couldn't make it out, but awesome pictures!

Wasn't that the mission the conspiracy theorists think saw a UFO or something?

No. It was just cigar smoke!!!:ss

T.G
04-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Looks to me like Palma Deluxe...and the last letters of the main label seems to be "oum" or "oux"...Tinder Box and Dutch Masters both made a "palma deluxe"...

Looking at it in photoshop and tweaking adjustments now...

I believe you are correct, it does appear to have the correct number of characters and basic shapes of the letters for the second word to be "Deluxe"

There is more written on the side of the box. Red letters, white outline, blue background. I can make out what I think appears to be "D" "U" "N". Looks like there might be anywhere from 2 to 4 additional proceeding letters which were covered up by the sticker.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=511&pictureid=4039

Druid_Geek
04-20-2010, 10:01 PM
T.G., Thanks for the photoshoping, I've misplaced my *cough* purchased *cough* copy somewhere. I thought I saw cello and the letters DUN as well. Neuromancer, Thanks for making our what does appear to be the words "Palma Deluxe." Thanks for all the help guys! Now if some historian could connect the dots (i.e. time frame and possible brands) that would be cool. I like a good hunt!

DG:gn

Stinky
04-20-2010, 11:31 PM
Where's Lew Rothman when you need him?

Druid_Geek
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey all, did some net sleuthing and found this box which claims to have one cigar from each of the Apollo missions in it. As you can see from the photo, one of the bands clearly ends in "DUN." Anyone care to take a stab at some of the others if you can identify them easily? Sorry the pic is so big!

http://www.astrocollection.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17831

KenyanSandBoa
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
R.G DUN maybe? Looks like this pic has "PALMA" in the top left corner.

Stinky
04-21-2010, 05:44 PM
I wrote to Tony Hyman of the Cigar History Museum web site featured in Cigar Magazine every issue. Here's what he had to say:

"They're R.G. Dun Palmas originally made by D.W.G. I suspect but don't know for sure that they had been bought up by some even bigger fish by the late 60's. If you post my info credit me and the National Cigar History Museum: www.CigarHistory.info (http://www.CigarHistory.info)"

Druid_Geek
04-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info Stinky and thanks for the ashtray, really nice, even for a FNG like me to the slippery slope. Tell Tony Hyman I appreciate the info. Kinda brings these moments in history a little more life knowing small details like this. Thanks for the help everyone...

Stinky
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Tony Hyman wrote back once more, then again stating this story was sent to CIGAR MAGAZINE. And, if you guys behave yourselves, and the editors like the story, it may show up in a future issue of CIGAR MAGAZINE. (Tony Hyman writes articles for them)

Here's his updated (and more detailed) reply:

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy my 'Handbook'. I wrote nearly 30 books and/or annotated catalogs and the HANDBOOK OF AMERICAN CIGAR BOXES remains my personal favorite. Everything that's in that book has been rewritten, expanded and done in full color on my Cigar History Museum website.

The cigars are R.G. DUN Palmas originally made by Deisel-Wemmer-Gilbert who also made EMMERSON, SAN FELICE, EL VERSO and BRANDSTREET. During the 50s D-W-G was the biggest cigar company in Ohio, with close to ten factories.

As I explain on my website, 1960 began a decade of radical change for me, the country, and the cigar industry, and I was not able to continue keeping up with the daily activities of the industry so I can't confirm that company still made them in 1969. R.G. Dun cellophane-wrapped Palmas sold for 26¢ in the late 50s. They were packed in cardboard boxes, as were the majority of cigars made in the U.S.

I notice that someone in the forum you were reading guessed they were "inexpensive drug store cigars." First, I want to inform the youngster who made that charge that my local drugstore carried more than 100 brands and frontmarks, including Cubans, Clear Havana from Florida and elsewhere, including cigars selling for 50¢ and $1.00 the top price in my Beverly Hills tobacconist's shop. I may not like being old enough to say "Well, sonny, back in the old days," but I am, and surprising though it may be to you and him, both Cuban and Florida Clear Havana companies offered a selection of cigars costing less than 30¢ (the cheapest name-brand Cuban cost 15¢). On May 13th, 1960, my 21st birthday, I was discharged after four years in the Navy. To celebrate, I bought a box of 25 clear Havana, aluminum tube BERING Imperials that cost only 30¢ each and were a superb smoke. Don't you wish your drugstore offered you Cuban or clear Havanas for less than a half-buck today?

T.G
04-22-2010, 11:09 AM
I notice that someone in the forum you were reading guessed they were "inexpensive drug store cigars." First, I want to inform the youngster who made that charge that my local drugstore carried more than 100 brands and frontmarks, including Cubans, Clear Havana from Florida and elsewhere, including cigars selling for 50¢ and $1.00 the top price in my Beverly Hills tobacconist's shop. I may not like being old enough to say "Well, sonny, back in the old days," but I am, and surprising though it may be to you and him, both Cuban and Florida Clear Havana companies offered a selection of cigars costing less than 30¢ (the cheapest name-brand Cuban cost 15¢). On May 13th, 1960, my 21st birthday, I was discharged after four years in the Navy. To celebrate, I bought a box of 25 clear Havana, aluminum tube BERING Imperials that cost only 30¢ each and were a superb smoke. Don't you wish your drugstore offered you Cuban or clear Havanas for less than a half-buck today?

Inexpensive doesn't mean "bad" Dr. Hyman.

Sorry my reference to it most likely being a lower price point cigar wasn't more clear.

homeless_texan
04-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Not sure of the cigar, but one of those pictures is from the Apollo 13 mission.

Huskysibe
04-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Is it just me or did Mr. Hyman come across as a little harsh on the drug store reference? We all know that drug stores today are far different than drug stores of yesterday. Maybe I read it wrong though, it is tough to judge tone and inflection in written words.

Skywalker
04-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I wish I could get CCs at my local drugstore for 30 cents a piece!!! :bh

Time to build a time machine and go back!!! :tf

icehog3
04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Not sure of the cigar, but one of those pictures is from the Apollo 13 mission.

I just posted some pics I had of cigar smoking at NASA, didn't mean to imply mine were from Apollo 11 like the O.P.'s. ;)

Druid_Geek
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Build it as a two seat-er skywalker, I call shotgun!