PDA

View Full Version : Gizmodo get there hands on Apple's next iphone

newcigarz
04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
A "lost" prototype looks to be Apples next iphone. From the article it sounds amazing.

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

MortonMilo
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
Love how apple conveniently "loses" one in a bar.

replicant_argent
04-19-2010, 11:14 AM
very cool.

Just "found" it????

Yeah, interesting way to say "someone stole this."

bvilchez
04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Funny how they took it apart but don't say if it's CDMA or GSM
Posted via Mobile Device

sikk50
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
With my 3G contract up the 12 of June this is exactly what I wanted! Something entirely different after the let down I had when 3Gs came out.

aich75013
04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
I was just reading that during lunch.
Sim card (or MicroSim) = AT&T (GSM)
I've heard lots of rumors about it being on Verizon, and one friend of mine tried to convince me that AT&T wouldn't get the new version. Verizon could still get a version of course.

JE3146
04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

They probably didn't want to get sued...

A detail like that has far more impact than it just being a spec.

marge796
04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I can't wait until June to buy my first iphone. I've tried a number of other "smart" phones, and I'm ready to see what all the buzz is about.

:tu

Chris.....

newcigarz
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I still an original iphone purchased the second day they were available. I've waited for the next big upgrade and I think this may be it.

newcigarz
04-19-2010, 01:04 PM
This story takes a disturbing turn.

"Apple confirms death of iPhone worker in China"

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10291701-37.html

The cnet story is from july of 09. this prototype is just showing up now?

JE3146
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Apple Employee loses 4th gen iphone prototype...

Commits suicide...

Iphone prototype surfaces 8-9 months later..

Excuse me while I go put on a tinfoil hat for this one....

If they're at all related... absolutely sick.

newcigarz
04-19-2010, 03:01 PM

:tf

mithrilG60
04-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

The 3Gs is already available in both CDMA/HSPA+ and GSM spec, can't see why the 4G would be any different......

Apple Employee loses 4th gen iphone prototype...

Commits suicide...

Iphone prototype surfaces 8-9 months later..

If they're at all related... absolutely sick.

The phone Gizmodo has was found in an external case designed to make it look like a 3Gs unless you actually handle it. It also was apparently loaded with OS 4.0 according to the article. That's not a phone that was lost in shipping mishap 9 months ago, that's a phone that was lost during real world field testing (assuming it's real in the first place).

sikk50
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I guarentee those two aren't related.

IF this one is legit it would have been lost recently and would make sense that two-three months they're out field testing them. As far as losing a phone, it happens to everyone, just happened to be a tester this time.

bvilchez
04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
I guarentee those two aren't related.

IF this one is legit it would have been lost recently and would make sense that two-three months they're out field testing them. As far as losing a phone, it happens to everyone, just happened to be a tester this time.

I'ld hate to be that tester going back to the office and telling them what happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

JE3146
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
I'ld hate to be that tester going back to the office and telling them what happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lets hope he doesn't 'commit suicide' :tf

Sorry, had to ;)

LasciviousXXX
04-19-2010, 03:59 PM
I for one will be selling my almost 1 year old 3GS and upgrading as soon as this comes out. Multi-tasking on the Iphone = WIN!

AD720
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I for one will be selling my almost 1 year old 3GS and upgrading as soon as this comes out. Multi-tasking on the Iphone = WIN!

I may be wrong, but doesn't the 3gS qualify to upgrade to OS 4.0?

sikk50
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Your 3GS will have multi tasking when the new OS update comes out this summer :tu

JE3146
04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Yes it does....

Well before this thing will be released in fact.

LasciviousXXX
04-19-2010, 04:14 PM

Yeah it will but front facing camera and likely larger display screen will prompt me to upgrade to the new Iphone when it finally does get released. Sorry, maybe didn't state that well :)

AD720
04-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah it will but front facing camera and likely larger display screen will prompt me to upgrade to the new Iphone when it finally does get released. Sorry, maybe didn't state that well :)

Gotcha. I read your post as "I want a new one because it multitasks". :tu

LasciviousXXX
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Yeah I re-read that.... I *am* very excited about the new multi-tasking process. I'm glad that it differs from the Android version of multi-tasking as I use my Iphone extensively throughout my day. It is rumored to be a more efficient use of multi-tasking. Also the front facing camera and the addition of a flash are large bonuses as well.

JE3146
04-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Steve jobs won't let you have flash.

LasciviousXXX
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Flash for the *camera* :rolleyes:

Tazziedevil
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
The iPhone 3Gs camera doesn't have a flash?

ir13
04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
The iPhone 3Gs camera doesn't have a flash?

None of the iphones have had flash for the camera, yet.

AD720
04-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Wow.

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone

Gizmodo outs the poor sap that lost the phone.

I read Gizmodo a lot, but, this is kind of not cool. :confused:

JE3146
04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Wow.

Totally uncalled for by them. :td:td:td:td

sikk50
04-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Deffinatly not going to make that guys life easier. Not like apple didn't know who it was but no need for the world to know.

On a side note I'd be really interested to find out how much the website paid to be the ones who were sent the lost phone.

LasciviousXXX
04-19-2010, 10:49 PM
AppleInsider is reporting that it cost them a cool 10k

mithrilG60
04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Or Apple instructed him to "lose" a pre-release prototype to get the market-hype and spin started up....

sikk50
04-20-2010, 01:15 AM
That would be a new method for them but a darn good marketing tool

newcigarz
04-20-2010, 01:58 AM
Apple Demands Prototype iPhone Back

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/20/apple-demands-prototype-iphone-back/

AD720
04-20-2010, 05:56 AM
Or Apple instructed him to "lose" a pre-release prototype to get the market-hype and spin started up....

Very interesting...:tf

but doubtful. Why? Hype? They don't need any more hype, they will sell a bazillion of them. :)

Plus the CEO of Gawker (parent of company of Gizmodo) tweeted that Apple doesn't do that, and certainly not to Giz.

AppleInsider is reporting that it cost them a cool 10k

He also tweeted $5,000.

mosesbotbol
04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
My iphone is being repaired for less than half what Apple wants for a replacement. This is the version Apple should've came out after the original one. Apple just loves to string their consumers along for years before giving them what they should've got right from the beginning.

King James
04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Wow.

I'm sure apple knew before hand who had the phone and who lost it, they keep there prototypes under very close guard (until now haha)

And Gizmodo even said to take it easy on the kid because he really loves Apple

I really don't think that is the case.... They asked Gizmodo for the prototype back and Gizmodo told them they only would with a formal statement that it was theirs and they lost it, which Apple gave.

edit:

Here (http://gizmodo.com/5520471/the-tale-of-apples-next-iphone) is another link with all the gizmodo articles put together:

jitzy
04-20-2010, 09:40 AM
I'm sure apple knew before hand who had the phone and who lost it, they keep there prototypes under very close guard (until now haha)

I really don't think that is the case.... They asked Gizmodo for the prototype back and Gizmodo told them they only would with a formal statement that it was theirs and they lost it, which Apple gave.

edit:

Here (http://gizmodo.com/5520471/the-tale-of-apples-next-iphone) is another link with all the gizmodo articles put together:

I was still very sceptical about all this but now I really do believe cause there is no way they would put out a fake apple letter.

AD720
04-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Apple, the guy's employer, knowing about it and the entire world knowing about it are two very different things. :2

rack04
04-20-2010, 10:22 AM
From Facebook:

Gray Powell changed his Work Info.

Gray Powell fml...

Gray Powell i guess i'll work on android from now on...

King James
04-20-2010, 10:41 AM
Apple, the guy's employer, knowing about it and the entire world knowing about it are two very different things. :2

apple trying to get some publicity and apple formally submitting a letter from their legal team in order to have a prototype returned are two very different things in my opinion

and why would they purposefully put out an unfinished prototype when everyone already knows that a new phone is coming out? Despite small secrets being leaked often, Apple clings very closely to their privacy especially when it comes to prototypes. If you read one of the articles on Gizmodo it explains the great lengths they go through in order to keep the big news private.

If Apple did this on purpose, I would be extremely surprised

sikk50
04-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Apple being the Devils they are (Not apple hating, iPhone is the only phone I will ever own) I wouldn't be suprised if they changed the final product as an FU to the public for this. Lol

King James
04-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Apple being the Devils they are (Not apple hating, iPhone is the only phone I will ever own) I wouldn't be suprised if they changed the final product as an FU to the public for this. Lol

I think even if this prototype wasn't found they may play around with the final physical appearance a bit, but who knows.

Don Fernando
04-20-2010, 12:00 PM

Dustin, you are a man and multitasking and men don't go together. Multi-tasking is a female thing ;)

AD720
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
apple trying to get some publicity and apple formally submitting a letter from their legal team in order to have a prototype returned are two very different things in my opinion

and why would they purposefully put out an unfinished prototype when everyone already knows that a new phone is coming out? Despite small secrets being leaked often, Apple clings very closely to their privacy especially when it comes to prototypes. If you read one of the articles on Gizmodo it explains the great lengths they go through in order to keep the big news private.

If Apple did this on purpose, I would be extremely surprised

I am agreeing with you that it wasn't a purposeful leak. (seems like you may have replied to the wrong post..)

My issue is with Gizomodo naming names. They still have the excursive, why ruin this dude's life?

King James
04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I am agreeing with you that it wasn't a purposeful leak. (seems like you may have replied to the wrong post..)

My issue is with Gizomodo naming names. They still have the excursive, why ruin this dude's life?

naming his name ruining his life at Apple probably had no effect as they would have fired him or given consequences regardless. Ruining it for others I'm not sure if it would have an effect but you may be right that it could be possible. However I have also seen his name printed by major news networks. Originally Gizmodo said it was a "software engineer" so I'm not sure if they cleared using his name with the guy or not.

AD720
04-20-2010, 01:04 PM
naming his name ruining his life at Apple probably had no effect as they would have fired him or given consequences regardless. Ruining it for others I'm not sure if it would have an effect but you may be right that it could be possible. However I have also seen his name printed by major news networks. Originally Gizmodo said it was a "software engineer" so I'm not sure if they cleared using his name with the guy or not.

It is everywhere. People are creating fake facebook accounts. Getting fired and having your name plastered all over the internet for why you got fired, again, two different things. Gizmodo didn't need to print his name and who he is, point blank. They already had the exclusive and there was no need to drag him though the mud. Even if he STILL got fired from Apple it is not as bad as getting fired and being the butt of a joke that 100 million people on the internet are in on.

The question is, was he authorized to remove the device from the Apple campus? I'm guessing yes, hence the special stealth case. In that case it really sucks but as long as he didn't try to cover it up or lie about it I think he should keep his gig. If it wasn't supposed to be removed then all bets are off and the dude is probably screwed.

King James
04-20-2010, 01:30 PM
It is everywhere. People are creating fake facebook accounts. Getting fired and having your name plastered all over the internet for why you got fired, again, two different things. Gizmodo didn't need to print his name and who he is, point blank. They already had the exclusive and there was no need to drag him though the mud. Even if he STILL got fired from Apple it is not as bad as getting fired and being the butt of a joke that 100 million people on the internet are in on.

The question is, was he authorized to remove the device from the Apple campus? I'm guessing yes, hence the special stealth case. In that case it really sucks but as long as he didn't try to cover it up or lie about it I think he should keep his gig. If it wasn't supposed to be removed then all bets are off and the dude is probably screwed.

Don't you think Apple could have the power to blacklist him elsewhere.... or would at least make it known to probable other employers who this guy is. Not that Gizmodo was right to post his name (unless they did have permissin) but the guy is most likely screwed regardless

AD720
04-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Don't you think Apple could have the power to blacklist him elsewhere.... or would at least make it known to probable other employers who this guy is. Not that Gizmodo was right to post his name (unless they did have permissin) but the guy is most likely screwed regardless

Absolutely, and depending on his contract, they may be well within their rights to do so. Gizomodo does not have that privilege.

Like I said, I think if he had permission to remove it from the Apple campus there will be some backlash from the public if he get's canned.

King James
04-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Like I said, I think if he had permission to remove it from the Apple campus there will be some backlash from the public if he get's canned.

yah, and the way they keep the big things under wraps (the actual devices and not just the rumor of them) its unlikely he got it out of there without permission.... but I'm surprised either way

AD720
04-20-2010, 01:44 PM
yah, and the way they keep the big things under wraps (the actual devices and not just the rumor of them) its unlikely he got it out of there without permission.... but I'm surprised either way

Ditto. I read the article about iPads being chained to desks in labs and stuff like that.

The only reason that I *think* that he *might* have had permission is the stealth-ninja, 3gs case that it was in. I doubt that was homemade.

King James
04-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Ditto. I read the article about iPads being chained to desks in labs and stuff like that.

The only reason that I *think* that he *might* have had permission is the stealth-ninja, 3gs case that it was in. I doubt that was homemade.

nope, judging by the quality of it, its highly unlikely that was homemade material

mosesbotbol
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
The engineer has little to worry about and what Apple has going on in the inside of their next phone is nothing secret to those that really need to know. Anything manufactured in China is not a secret and part of doing business there. Too much part ordering and tooling has to be created to keep the phone 100% secret with a 3 month launch date.

Whether this was staged or not is the question and it's too hard to say whether it is or not. The write up is a bit choreographed and does more to get the hardcore techie's interested than they were previous to the article.

mosesbotbol
04-20-2010, 03:23 PM
The question is, was he authorized to remove the device from the Apple campus? I'm guessing yes, hence the special stealth case.

At some point, real world testing has to be... real world testing. As I mentioned earlier, it's too close to launch date to really keep it under wraps. It nuclear secrets can be stolen from St. Alamos, the iPhone is like nothing.

VirtualSmitty
04-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Apple not pleased with Giz:

Linky (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/police-investigating-lost-iphone-prototype-raid-gizmodo-editors/)

Resipsa
04-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Apple not pleased with Giz:

Linky (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/26/police-investigating-lost-iphone-prototype-raid-gizmodo-editors/)
What goes around, yada yada yada, :r

Curious as to what they may have been looking for. It wouldn't surprise me if some dimbulb tried to either copy something for the alleged prototype, or took something from the innards.

sikk50
04-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Another neat little tid bit, two proto type itouches were on ebay for a couple hours yesterday before being pulled....

Maybe there really is a change of plan as far as marketing hype here

mithrilG60
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
http://dilbert.com/dyn/tiny/File/Lost%20Phone%201%20.jpg

http://dilbert.com/dyn/tiny/File/Lost%20Phone%202%20.jpg
http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/thatlost4gphone/