PDA

View Full Version : An appointment with hell

Blueface
04-19-2010, 08:57 AM
At least that is what it feels like.
I have a six o'clock appointment for something I have fought against since the first week of August of last year when he was first diagnosed and operated for a massive cancerous mast cell tumor.

I feel good that I think I have done everything humanely within my ability to help him, to include weekly visits at home by a vet. However, one never stops second guessing, specially when trying to figure out when to pull the trigger like this.

He has shut down on me. Has not eaten a drop of food in four days. Very, very little food for the 10 days prior to that. For a five pound dog, it doesn't take very many days without food to kill him and I certainly don't want that horrific death for him.

I have spent the weekend administering under the skin IV fluids to keep him hydrated and medicating in hope of turning him around. It looks like his digestive system has shut down, overcome by the cancer cells that remained in him.

I could have treated him with chemo and radiation but I fought with that idea and my wife was totally against it as she felt it would be inhumane to force that type of treatment on him at his old age of 14 (which he would have been on 4/30).

This is one major crappy day for me to say the least. Won't be easy on my son and wife either. He spent his time idolizing my son and being his best bud. In recent months, I was now his best bud. My dad always had a special attachment to Champ also.

I will miss my friend so badly. Only those of you that have gone through this pain can imagine what it is like. Hard to imagine an animal can be like one's child.

Farewell soon to you my dear faithful friend Champ. God bless you always for the joy you brought to so many lives.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/100-0007_IMG.jpg

replicant_argent
04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
It's a hard thing, Carlos, thoughts with you and your family.

elderboy02
04-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Sorry to hear this. Remember the good times you have had with him.

I know I will cry like a baby when my current dog dies.

King James
04-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Very sorry for your loss, Carlos.... but I think you are making the right decision. It is never easy to make that choice when it comes to a dog that has become such a part of the family. Hope you can smoke one in Champ's honor and focus on the good memories of a very long life

pnoon
04-19-2010, 09:04 AM
So very sorry, Carlos.
It is never easy to lose a member of your family.

MarioF
04-19-2010, 09:05 AM
I still remember the day back in 87 that I had to make the same decision. Very hard but you are doing what is best.

newcigarz
04-19-2010, 09:06 AM
So sorry Carlos. I know how much this means to you.

Wanger
Been through it several times myself. Never a fun decision to have to make, but at least you can control the pain they have at the end and that they may go as peaceful as possible.

http://www.je923.com/images/rainbow_bridge_poem.gif

Kreth
I know exactly how you feel, Carlos. Last year our dog was in a similar situation. It got to the point where he couldn't even keep water down, so we decided to put him to sleep rather than prolong his suffering.
Posted via Mobile Device

croatan
04-19-2010, 09:10 AM
So sorry to hear this, Carlos. I know how much he means to you. Just know that you're making the right decision for the little guy.

RightAJ
04-19-2010, 09:14 AM
God bless him brother... he know how much you love him. Prayers sent

aj

Jbailey
04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
I'm very sad to hear Carlos. It's never an easy thing to do.

Since I was a kids we have put down some great pets. They do become a member of the family and it's tough decision to make, but in the end it's the right one.

issues
04-19-2010, 09:21 AM
I am deeply sorry Carlos.

I still have yet to fully get over my dog passing away and it's been over 2 years now. She was everything to me and my vet didn't help matters. When I ask if it was time to put her down the vet talked me out of it. That same day Natasha passed away and bled out in my back seat on the way to get a blood transfusion.

You are making the right decision as I would not want anyone to endure having to watch as your pet suffers to death as I did.

Peace be with you and your family...

AD720
04-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Keep your head up Carlos, you are doing the right thing for your buddy. He is hurting and letting him go is right thing for him. You've always done right by him and you can always know that you kept that up until the end.

I'll be thinking about you today.

floydpink
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Carlos,

I went through this at Christmas with my 14 year old buddy and know what you're going through.

Just reading your post is a testiment to the caring owner you have been.

Your heart will be heavy but will guide you best.

The act of ending a dog's pain and suffering and being with them so your eyes are the final thing they see, is the ultimate final act of kindness in my opinion.

Nothing's better than a good dog. NOTHING.

klipsch
04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

shilala
04-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Our prayers and thoughts will be with your family today, Carlos.
You've certainly been blessed with such a wonderful addition to your family. It's not an easy thing to do, saying goodbye. Be thankful the little guy will be at peace.

icehog3
04-19-2010, 09:57 AM
I feel badly for you Carlos, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Our cherished pets love us unconditionally, and they must trust us to make that decision that they cannot make when the time comes. It hurts, but we know it is the right things to do for the family members we love so much.

MiamiE
04-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Carlos very sad for you. I don't know what will happen to me when my little guy goes. My wife and I treat him like if he was our son.

e-man67
04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
It is so tuff losing a member of the family. I am very sorry for your loss.

Blueface
04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys.
I appreciate all the kind words.
You have no idea how much they help and that is the reason for my post. To share with friends who can comfort me where very little comfort lies right now.

I wish I could say I have had a moment of dry eyes today.
I can't work.
I have been hugging him as much as possible.
There are very many signs now today more so than in the last few days that he is hanging on to very little now.
He is hurting.
It is no longer a thing of "am I doing the right thing" so much as it is a thing of 6 o'clock hurrying up to put him out of this misery.

Darrell
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Poor guy. :sad

Blueface
04-19-2010, 10:26 AM
His eyes say it all.
I prefer to remember him by the first photo.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-12.jpg

Darrell
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
His eyes say it all.
I prefer to remember him by the first photo.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s167/cmach_photo/photo-12.jpg

;s :sad :td

He's in my thoughts, my friend.

CasaDooley
04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Hang in there Bro.

68TriShield
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
All dogs go to heaven my Brother,give my condolences to the family.
A sucky day indeed but you are doing the right thing for Champ.

TripleF
04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Tears me up Carlos....I can only imagine what you and your family must be going through.

Hold on to the memories.

My deepest sympathies.

bobarian
04-19-2010, 12:06 PM
So sorry to hear this, Carlos. I am sure this is a big loss for the entire family. You all will be in my thoughts.

KenyanSandBoa
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Carlos. It's never easy having to deal with that. I remember going through that with our first German Shepherd...it killed me, but I just had to keep telling myself that he wouldn't be in pain any longer.

Hang in there...

kenstogie
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear this Carlos, I recently had to hold my pet while the Vet administerd the shot that ended her life. It sucked but it was the best thing for her. You get over it but don't ever forget them and thier contributions.

jjon90
04-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you.

My best friend closed his eyes last night,
As his head was in my hand.
The Doctors said he was in pain,
And it was hard for him to stand.

The thoughts that scurried through my head,
As I cradled him in my arms.
Were of his younger, puppy years,
And OH...his many charms.

Today, there was no gentle nudge
With an intense "I love you gaze",
Only a heart thats filled with tears
Remembering our joy filled days.

But an Angel just appeared to me,
And he said, "You should cry no more,
GOD also loves our canine friends,
HE's installed a 'doggy-door"!

Cigary
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Our pets mean more to us than we can explain as they bring joy to us while they remain unconditional in nature. This is why they are loved so deeply because they do not judge us even when we are at our worst. They meet us at the door everyday with the same energy and love they did when we brought them home...who else does this for us on a consistant basis? Watching them live out their lives and sharing the good times with them is something we want to remember about them. Your life was made better because of them and that is something that needs to be remembered always. Celebrate their life and what they gave unconditionally to you as positive thoughts go out to you and your family.

Eleven
04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
I can't imagine how hard this is on you and your family, but I know how devastated I was when my dog got sick and we felt helpless.

Luckily my old fat dog is still with us and on medication for the rest of his life to keep him healthy.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

MajorCaptSilly
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Sorry to hear, Carlos. I've lost a few dogs and it's never easy.

MCS

Blueface
04-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Continued many thanks to all.
It truly means a lot.

As the time nears, there is no doubt in my mind nor heart of doing the right thing. He has deteriorated in the course of the day like one would not believe.
I don't see him lasting a couple of more days and not what he deserves.
The vomiting is now quite regular and he moans in pain each time.

While it doesn't ease the pain, it certainly eases the uncertainty of wondering if I am doing the right thing.

yourchoice
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
My heartfelt condolences Carlos. I lost my dog a couple of years ago and I can still completely sympathize with your pain. Just rest assured you are doing the right thing.

Blueface
04-19-2010, 04:22 PM
It is now over.
He is hopefully in doggie heaven at this moment.

It was the toughest thing I had to do other than witness my mother in law's passing.

What made it a bit easier on me was actually Champ himself. He would always shiver the whole way to the vet or groomer. Always, without an exception.

Today for the very first time was that exception. His calm was surreal. Almost as if though he knew he would soon be at peace. There were plenty of us there with him from the family and my wife going with me certainly helped tremendously.

It truly hurts to have lost him but I knew this day would come. I am going to work hard on focusing on all the great memories he has left us with to help console me.

Farewell my little grumpy old man as we lovingly referred to you.
R.I.P. Champ.

Neuromancer
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Been through it several times myself. Never a fun decision to have to make, but at least you can control the pain they have at the end and that they may go as peaceful as possible.

http://www.je923.com/images/rainbow_bridge_poem.gif

Ditto...you have no idea how bad I feel for you and for Champ, and for the rest of your family...we were just with him a week ago, Sunday...it hurts so bad when we loose one of our little companions...even when a friend looses one of his...hard to keep a dry eye here, Carlos...we were just joking about him biting ankles a week ago...you're in our thoughts...

shilala
04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm glad to hear it's all over, Carlos. You guys have been on our minds all day, I told Lisa about it this morning. Her prayers are with you all as well.

alwayslit
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Sorry for your loss. It is never easy.

massphatness
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Peace be with you and your family, Carlos.

I'm going to go hug my pup now.
Posted via Mobile Device

icehog3
04-19-2010, 06:45 PM
I will smoke one in memory of Champ when I get home, Carlos. May the memories of your time together help you through this sad time.

SeanGAR
04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Gosh man, I'm just so sorry for you.

JaKaacH
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Sorry for your loss, Carlos.
We lost our 11 year old boxer, Kelly, a couple weeks ago.
That's her and my new buddy Text, the Frenchie..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v624/jkach/DSCN1701.jpg
I don't know who that goof in the middle is???:confused:

I hope to someday be half the man my dog thinks I am...

mikeyj23
04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
So sorry, Carlos - you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Starscream
04-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent.

Don Fernando
04-20-2010, 01:59 AM
I know how you feel Carlos, I had to do the same thing to my cat a few years ago and hurts like hell, and even though it won't comfort you right now, in a few weeks the thought that you did the right thing will be comforting a bit.

longknocker
04-20-2010, 03:59 AM
So Sorry To Hear About Champ, Carlos. Thoughts & Prayers Sent For You & Your Family, My Friend.

n3uka
04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
So sorry to hear. You have many great memories to celebrate his life with.

Mr.Maduro
04-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Sorry for you loss Carlos. I'm happy I had the chance to see him again just 9 days ago. I'm here if you need someone to talk to.