PDA

View Full Version : Car roof rack recommendations

doctorcue
04-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Hey all,

I'm thinking about finally breaking down and getting a roof rack for my car. The wife and I will be doing a lot of outdoor activities and will need the extra cargo space. I know there are two main players in the car roof rack space: Thule & Yakima. Does anyone have any experience with either brand? I've been looking at Yakima as a few friends have had good success with them. Yet it would be bad not to give Thule a review either. Please let me know your thoughts. Specifically I'm looking to get a cargo rack and any necessary mounting equipment. My car does not have any roof rails so I'll be getting the entire setup.

Thanks for any advice!

kydsid
04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
I have used a Thule roof rack and a Yakima Bike rack on my Altima. I thought both were good products and worth the money. Most people I knew with a roof rack had Thule or Yakima. I would say more often than not the kayakers had Yakima's. Never asked why but I did notice that trend.

replicant_argent
04-19-2010, 07:28 AM
I ran Thules on both my Explorers for years, never had a single problem with them. Solid and pretty bombproof. Quite frankly, I think both systems will do you well, and have a proven track record. I liked the thule square bars because they seemed to hold a load solidly when hauling 2x4s or materiel up top, (the flat rubberized coating on the bars with a bigger surface area than the round Yaks. Could just be a false impression, though.)
If one of the companies accessories looks better or more useful for you in your philosophy of use for the things you will be putting on it, and the price differential makes no difference, go with the most "YOU-friendly" system.

pennjones
04-19-2010, 08:14 AM
When I had my Cherokee I had a Thule ski/snowboard rack. It was good, but the Yakima was about the same. I just got a better deal on the Thule. I gave the rack to my brother, considering I live in Florida now and have no need for a ski/snowboard rack. I would choose the option which is best for you though.

doctorcue
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks guys. That is what I figured. Really can't go wrong with either one.

I'm just happy this didn't turn Mac vs PC. ;) :tu