PDA

View Full Version : Nub Maduro vs. DPG Firecracker

maninblack
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Ok folks I'm contemplating my next box purchase and need your advice. Both of these are on my wishlist, but which one is better in all of your's humble opinions.

leasingthisspace
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM
DPG Firecracker. I never had one but the NUB sucked IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mugen910
04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
I can take care of that Tabb...I got a few dem firecrackers laying around. IMHO Don Pepin Blue label > Nub

maninblack
04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Thanks guys, I've never had the firecracker but the reviews look promising.

colinb913
04-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I wasnt a huge fan of the nub myself..

kelmac07
04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Firecracker..only because it is better than the Nub Maduro. And this coming from a maduro whore!!!

Powers
04-15-2010, 07:27 PM
i've had the DPG Firecracker and loved it! IMO only go for the nub if they happen to be cheaper per box and u're trying to save a little dough. Be ready for the spice if u get the Firecracker however! :2

:tu

Goldie
04-15-2010, 08:29 PM
NUB's are not for me. I just got in on a box split of DPG Firecracker's, so.....

bookman
04-15-2010, 08:30 PM
DPG! And I've never even even tried one.

Patrick B
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I'll go against the grain here. I absolutely LOVE Pepin stuff. Love it. Blue label included. I got all excited and did a box split of the firecrackers and was very dissapointed. Only 3" long so they are gone in no time and they get really hot really quickly. Not even a really good representation of how good the blue label blend is. I do think the Nub maduro is the best in the Nub line and is a solid Nic puro with a little spice thrown in. Having smoked a bunch of each I'd go with the Nub maddie.

Now if I was spending about that much on a box I'd go with Tat Angeles in a heartbeat!

Emjaysmash
04-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Id go NUB maddy. The firecracker I had was so-so, and after 3 puffs it was done.

icehog3
04-15-2010, 11:26 PM
I smoked a Nub Maduro once.

Once.

Emjaysmash
04-15-2010, 11:31 PM
I smoked a Nub Maduro once.

Once.

Now he looks like his avatar. Nubs are scary business, folks.

icehog3
04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Now he looks like his avatar. Nubs are scary business, folks.

You mess with the hog, you get the snout.

Emjaysmash
04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
You mess with the hog, you get the snout.

Sounds Kinky! ;)

icehog3
04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Sounds Kinky! ;)

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Kinky_Friedman_jpg_600.jpg

whodeeni
04-16-2010, 12:28 AM
haven't had the nub so i'll have to pull for the DPG....
It's about time to smoke and review another one!:tu

maninblack
04-16-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the help all. I got a fiver of the Firecrackers coming as we speak! Looks like a no go on the Nubs.

RevSmoke
04-16-2010, 11:04 AM
Personally, I'm going to go against everything here - neither. Why? There are so many better smokes out there for the money.

Had a few Nubs, none of them really excited me. I have yet to smoke the maduro, but I have one. Had two Firecreackers and neither of them made me stand up and take notice, one did develop some wonderful flavors right at the end, but by that time the cigar was 3/4 gone.

Of course now, that is just my personal opinion.

klipsch
04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
NUB's rely on bogus marketing to make up for the fact that they're not the greatest cigar in the world...lol.

Now that this thread caught my attention...it looks like I'll be picking up a box of Firecrackers myself. :tu

KenyanSandBoa
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM
I like the idea behind the Nubs...get to the sweet spot upon lighting it, but I don't seem to experience that. I've had a few different Nubs, and none really blew me away at all. I thought they were decent smokes if I wanted a quick smoke, or for company, but I have to agree that there are many other smokes I would take over these for the price they demand.

Jbailey
04-16-2010, 12:39 PM
DPG!

I tried a pre-release of the nub maduro, I wasn't digging it at all. I pulled off the maduro wrapper and it did taste a tad better.

shilala
04-16-2010, 12:54 PM
I see you made the right decision. :)
Congrats on the firecrackers, they're good stuff. The nubs, not so much.

icehog3
04-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I like the idea behind the Nubs...get to the sweet spot upon lighting it, but I don't seem to experience that.

Complete marketing :bs, Jim. :2

klipsch
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
I like the idea behind the Nubs...get to the sweet spot upon lighting it, but I don't seem to experience that. Send me whatever cigars you would like modified to Nubniss. I will carefully calculate where the cigar will needs to be cut so that you are lighting it right at the sweet spot. Hell...I'll extend my offer to whoever would like their favorites turned into Nubs. No point smoking the front 2/3's of the cigar if you don't need to...right? Let's get right to the good stuff.

By sending me your cigars, you accept the conditions that I keep all of the clippings. Check back for my soon to be released new line of cutting edge cigars... FRONTS!!! :D

KenyanSandBoa
04-16-2010, 03:35 PM

Exactly...kinda bothers me that they can make such a bold claim and not follow through.
Posted via Mobile Device

KenyanSandBoa
04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Send me whatever cigars you would like modified to Nubniss. I will carefully calculate where the cigar will needs to be cut so that you are lighting it right at the sweet spot. Hell...I'll extend my offer to whoever would like their favorites turned into Nubs. No point smoking the front 2/3's of the cigar if you don't need to...right? Let's get right to the good stuff.

By sending me your cigars, you accept the conditions that I keep all of the clippings. Check back for my soon to be released new line of cutting edge cigars... FRONTS!!! :D

I'm sold! Lol Can I send you some Fuentes to start?
Posted via Mobile Device

madwilliamflint
04-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Love the nub but ya gotta try 'em both before picking. I can't see spending on a box of neverhads.

dunng
04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
I would pick anything DPG over anything NUB! :D

Starz26
04-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Sweet, spot....That is complete BS...

The sweet spot only comes from smoking a cigar down to a certain point, the burning of the tobacco and smoke from the first 1/2 or so compliments and enhances the last half. I fail to see how removing the process of burning the 1st 1/2 of a cigar and starting at the last 1/2 can get you to the sweet spot....

Complete BS.

tomc3084
04-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I like the idea behind the Nubs...get to the sweet spot upon lighting it, but I don't seem to experience that. I've had a few different Nubs, and none really blew me away at all. I thought they were decent smokes if I wanted a quick smoke, or for company, but I have to agree that there are many other smokes I would take over these for the price they demand.

I've never, out of the couple Ive had, experienced this "sweet spot" right upon lighting.....Has anyone else, or is this a marketing ploy???

icehog3
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I've never, out of the couple Ive had, experienced this "sweet spot" right upon lighting.....Has anyone else, or is this a marketing ploy???

Bingo.

klipsch
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
I was thinking that Nubs are for those people that want to appear like they smoked a whole cigar...without having smoked one.

pennjones
04-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Smoked my first Firecracker yesterday, and yeah, I agree with everyone else here, go with them! It was a spicy delicious little smoke!

Goldie
04-18-2010, 10:45 PM
The only sweet spot found with a nub, is the spot in your ashtray where you sit it down, and grab something else.

KenyanSandBoa
04-19-2010, 08:44 AM

I've also had more issues with Nubs than most cigars...one would not stay lit, no matter how hard I tried, and my brother tried a box pressed Cameroon Nub and that thing swelled up like a balloon. I have a couple in my humi, but once those are gone I think I'm all done with Nubs. :td

I was thinking that Nubs are for those people that want to appear like they smoked a whole cigar...without having smoked one.

:r:r

jitzy
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM

so very true.

Why not grab a box of something else like a box of Tat Havana VI, the firecrackers were a little dumb (IMHO) and you'll probably be sorry you got the nubs, not that there bad but just very one dimentional and boring. There are so many other great smokes out there in the same price range.