PDA

View Full Version : Help - Whats the Deal w/ My Sticks

kqueen
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
Hey guys - I am a bit baffled and need some input.
I live in AZ, obviously a very dry climate. I have an avallo cabinet and keep 4 electronic hygros inside. They each read anwhere between 66 degrees F to 69 degrees F and 65% RH to 69% RH depending on what shelf its on.

I have been grabbing a number of cigars lately that have been aging for a while, and when I pinch them between my fingers, I can hear the wrapper make a snap/cracking sound. Does this mean they are dried out? It seems my conditions in my humidor are reading fine, so why are they doing this. Are they ok, too dry, too wet? Are they still smokeable? If not now, can I bring them back?

Would love any input.

NCRadioMan
04-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Every cigar I have ever touched does that unless they are very wet. If the cigars are smoking fine, I wouldn't give it another thought.

:2

RightAJ
04-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Have you had any problems with them smoking differently?

aj

Noomis
04-14-2010, 07:58 PM
I live in Vegas, and have experienced something similar. If you're keeping your sticks in good condition (which it seems like you are), I wouldn't worry about them––removing them from a humid environment into such a dry one can have the effect you describe.

kqueen
04-14-2010, 08:05 PM
No - they burn fine (great actually), taste great. Thats why I have never really thought more about it. Then I started picking up a few and squeezing them, and I am used to the wet mushy feel of a B&M, and when I squeezed some, They created a popping sound as if the wrapper or filler inside even was popping and I was afraid they were dried out. It made no sense as my conditions seem great from all my electronic read outs.

RightAJ
04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
No - they burn fine (great actually), taste great.

Thats all that is important:banger

aj

St. Lou Stu
04-14-2010, 08:07 PM
'dry' has a peculiar taste to it.
If it doesn't taste peculiar, do it!
That's my motto.

pnoon
04-14-2010, 08:07 PM
No - they burn fine (great actually), taste great. Thats why I have never really thought more about it. Then I started picking up a few and squeezing them, and I am used to the wet mushy feel of a B&M, and when I squeezed some, They created a popping sound as if the wrapper or filler inside even was popping and I was afraid they were dried out. It made no sense as my conditions seem great from all my electronic read outs.

You're golden. Stop squeezing them. ;)

St. Lou Stu
04-14-2010, 08:09 PM
You're golden. Stop squeezing them. ;)

That's what she said!

Bigwaved
04-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Vegas tried to kill my cigars last time I was there. Damn desert.

kqueen
04-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Ok cool - I just feel better knowing I have not run into any major red flag. Just my own humidor insecurities, too bad I don't have a cigar shrink ( I suppose thats ya'll). Will continue as is and feel better my investment is safe and still enjoyable.

pnoon
04-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I think people stress way too much over the numbers. We get way too anal about a fluctuation of a few points in temp or RH. As long as we're happy with the way our cigars are smoking, does the actual temp/RH really matter? Personally, I think not.
:2
(Yes. I know about beetles and mold but that is the extreme.)

kqueen
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Yeah, I really don't stress about my numbers, I truly set and forget. And have felt good about the taste I was getting. But I have many boxes, and some reserved for long aging, and I was concerned they weren't keeping well for some reason I was unaware of. But sounds like I will continue on as I have been. Aging and enjoying, with more confidence that there is nothing out of the ordinary.

neoflex
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
That sound is pretty normal. Most B&Ms are way to wet which is why you will find that their cigars are rather mushy feeling rather than being firm but if your keeping your sticks between 65-68% they will have a little crackling to them when pinched. Just as long as the wrapper isn't cracking and bursting on you when doing so than I would say your right around where you need to be especially since you mentioned that they are smoking great. I do feel for you living in your particular climate. I know winters damn near give me stress every year as I find I am always refilling the Oasis and beads whereas the summer not so much. I prob couldn't handle that all year round.

dyieldin
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I am in AZ(Phoenix) as well and noticed the same issue. I did raise my RH up a tad to about 68-69. Not that much of a raise but did the trick. Some stick are just noisier than others as well.

-Dave

kqueen
04-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Cool , I love the reassurance. Nay raise a % and see what happens.

wolfandwhisky
04-14-2010, 10:03 PM
That sound is pretty normal. Most B&Ms are way to wet which is why you will find that their cigars are rather mushy feeling rather than being firm but if your keeping your sticks between 65-68% they will have a little crackling to them when pinched. Just as long as the wrapper isn't cracking and bursting on you when doing so than I would say your right around where you need to be especially since you mentioned that they are smoking great. I do feel for you living in your particular climate. I know winters damn near give me stress every year as I find I am always refilling the Oasis and beads whereas the summer not so much. I prob couldn't handle that all year round.

my thoughts exactly...

Bigwaved
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
(Yes. I know about beetles and mold but that is the extreme.)
Not if you are as old as you are. Those problems are common...oh, you were talking about the cigars. :D

pnoon
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Not if you are as old as you are. Those problems are common...oh, you were talking about the cigars. :D
:tg

borndead1
04-15-2010, 03:25 PM
In my opinion, if they DON'T crackle just a little bit when I squeeze them, they are too wet for me.

mash
04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I live in a humid environment, and my cigars do the same. Has nothing to do with being in Arizona, your humidor is the climate they live in.

LasciviousXXX
04-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Living in Arizona as well, I've dealt with humidity issues for many years. It took me quite a bit of guess and check to find out what works for me here in the desert. The advice in this thread is spot on, most B&M's (especially here in AZ) keep their humidor far too wet for proper storage/smoking.

Your numbers look good (a little high for my taste) so I wouldn't give it a second thought. Where in AZ are you?

kenstogie
04-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Had anyone mentioned that he could check his hygro"s with the salt test? It's very unlikley but they could be off. As others have said if they smoke n taste fine you r probably AOK. Cigars are for more resilient than they are given credit for IMHO.
Posted via Mobile Device

kqueen
04-15-2010, 11:19 PM
near paradise valley mall - thunderbird 44th st. area