PDA

View Full Version : Top 50 Craft Breweries For 2009

newcigarz
04-14-2010, 03:09 PM
http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/top-50-craft-breweries-for-2009/?utm_campaign=twitter_tweet&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

JE3146
04-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Should be of note this is based entirely on volume of sales.

newcigarz
04-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Should be of note this is based entirely on volume of sales.

Yes, volume of sales as determined by the Brewers Association.

Just thought some might find the list interesting.

landhoney
04-14-2010, 03:17 PM
I've seen a list like this before, and it always amazes me how high on the list New Glarus is, given that I think they only distribute in Wisconsin (believe this is correct). Not that they aren't a great brewery, but I know that almost all of the other breweries ahead of them have a much wider distribution, most can be found here in South Florida at Total Wine and the like. I guess they like beer in WI :D

colimo
04-14-2010, 03:33 PM
glad to see my state well represented....:banger
#3 as well as many others....great beers all, particularly the Oskar Blues

BlackDog
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
I wonder that the criteria is to be a "craft" brewery. I was suprised not to see August Schell brewery on the list.

MikeyC
04-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I wonder that the criteria is to be a "craft" brewery. I was suprised not to see August Schell brewery on the list.

My understanding is that in the beer industry any company producing between 2,000 and 2 million barrels of beer per year is considered a "craft" brewer. Breweries producing less than 2,000 barrels are considered micro-breweries. This is what I've been told by people who work in the beer industry.

Jbailey
04-14-2010, 04:14 PM
I guess they like beer in WI :D

I can verify that. :r

St. Lou Stu
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
I can verify that. :r

Lush:su

hornitosmonster
04-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Surprised to see Bells higher then Stone. Stone just seems more readily available. Bells just recently started selling in Arizona.

kugie
04-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Glad to See to in my State Represent the top ten

10. Harpoon is my Favorite

MedicCook
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
7, Matt Brewing; Utica NY

This is the brewery that makes Saranac. They are also know as Utica Club.

St. Lou Stu
04-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Wow! #41 surprises me.
I went there a week or so ago and their beer sucked schwetty donkey balls.

Ogre
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I've seen a list like this before, and it always amazes me how high on the list New Glarus is, given that I think they only distribute in Wisconsin (believe this is correct). Not that they aren't a great brewery, but I know that almost all of the other breweries ahead of them have a much wider distribution, most can be found here in South Florida at Total Wine and the like. I guess they like beer in WI :D

There may also be a judging on taste. I have 2 cases of New Glarus (Fat Squirrel) sitting in my game room. I have a trucker friend that brings it down from WI. She has been offered $100.00 for a case. It is a known brewery. Thats why it may also be judged by taste or the general population knowledge of it being out there.

Sawyer
04-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow! #41 surprises me.

New Belgium is #3 and their beer is boring to say the least. I guess you can't account for taste.

JE3146
04-15-2010, 12:40 AM
New Belgium is #3 and their beer is boring to say the least. I guess you can't account for taste.

As I said... it's about volume.

There's some in there I wouldn't touch, others further down the list that are spectacular, and a lot of amazing breweries in the Oregon area that aren't on that list simply because they don't distribute.

Not really sure what this list proves... but then again judging a craft beer brewery based on how 'good' it is would be so subjective and difficult to accomplish that it likely would never happen.

landhoney
04-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Not all of them: (their wild/sour ales are very different and tasty)
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1917
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/42474
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/26541
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/192/1912

Although I guess Fat Tire is their #1 beer, and yes it is not very exciting.

landhoney
04-15-2010, 07:39 AM
There may also be a judging on taste. I have 2 cases of New Glarus (Fat Squirrel) sitting in my game room. I have a trucker friend that brings it down from WI. She has been offered $100.00 for a case. It is a known brewery. Thats why it may also be judged by taste or the general population knowledge of it being out there.

I don't think so, quote from the top of the page: "The Brewers Association just announced the top 50 breweries in the U.S. based on sales, by volume, for 2009, which is listed below here." Not sure why they would lie and/or skew the results based on taste???

BlackDog
04-15-2010, 08:04 AM

This list is based upon volume alone, not taste.

yourchoice
04-15-2010, 08:21 AM
I am familiar with way too many on that list! :al :r

St. Lou Stu
04-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Wow! #41 surprises me.

My bad, My bad.....
This one bothered me all night, so this morning I researched....
The St. Louis Brewery is confusing 'round these parts.
Schlafly, one of the most awesomest places on earth, is legally known as "The St. Louis Brewery". But, they bottle as Schlafly and their brewpubs are known as Schlafly.
There is also this slimehole called Square One Brewery that, probably by no mistake, calls their brewpub "The St. Louis Brewery".

I take back the donkey comment about the REAL St. Louis Brewery.
Their brews are like nectar dripping from virgin thighs.:tu

The others..... well, momma always said, "If ya ain't got nuttin nice to say, then ....."
I never listened to momma. They suck!

OLS
04-15-2010, 11:00 AM
I can verify that. :rLol, that's why I love ya JB!