PDA

View Full Version : Flake Pipe suggestions

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I know- this is like my 5th "I need a suggestion from you fine people!" thread, but who cares. LOL

So I'm getting into flake tobaccos, specifically VaPers, and from what Ive read, pipe with tall narrow chambers are ideal for flakes. While I'm not in the market now to buy a new pipe, I want to know what to look out for should the opportunity come for me to get one.

a few qualifications for this pipe:

1) needs to have a straight stem
2) needs to be lightweight so I can clench it in my teeth ( I often read while smoking pipes, and I like to have my hands free)
3) needs to be quality. I want it to smoke well and be worth it's cost. I am opening suggestions up to any price range, if you think it is worth it.
4) I'm most drawn towards billiard shapes. If you can find a canadian that can be comfortably clenched then suggest that too.

If you think of any other qualifications or pipe suggestions, please feel free to post!

Thanks!

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Okay, maybe just suggestions on quality flake pipes... Lol

Commander Quan
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM
If you rub out your flakes, IMO the shape of the bowl doesn't matter.
If I am going to fold and stuff a flake I usually do it in a cob, because it does have the deep bowl, or sometimes and Oom Paul shaped pipe.
I know that doesn't help you pick a new pipe but that's what works best for me.

Neuromancer
04-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Well, Savinelli Autographs tend to be on the deeper side, but might be too heavy for teeth clenching...don't have one (yet) so can't be sure about the teeth clenching...

BigFrank
04-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Peterson makes a few pipes that are well known for being good to flakes. Barrel and Tankard shapes. Here they are on the shape chart.

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 03:03 PM
If you rub out your flakes, IMO the shape of the bowl doesn't matter.
If I am going to fold and stuff a flake I usually do it in a cob, because it does have the deep bowl, or sometimes and Oom Paul shaped pipe.
I know that doesn't help you pick a new pipe but that's what works best for me.

Yeah, I meant for folding a flake. I actually smoked some solani 633 in my cobb, and it was excellent. They may not be as visually appealing, but they get the job done. I might just buy a few more MM cobbs for now.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions! Like I said, I'm not in the market for a briar flake pipe now, but down the line I would like to know what to look for.

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Peterson makes a few pipes that are well known for being good to flakes. Barrel and Tankard shapes. Here they are on the shape chart.

I have seen the barrel and tankards and they look great! Pretty inexpensive too, as pipes go.

Do those of you with Peterson Barrels notice much gurgling? Are they easy to clench?

Neuromancer
04-13-2010, 03:16 PM
I have seen the barrel and tankards and they look great! Pretty inexpensive too, as pipes go.

Do those of you with Peterson Barrels notice much gurgling? Are they easy to clench?

Peterson Barrell and Tankards (http://store.pipesandcigars.com/petsilmounar.html)

I'll bet any of these would make a great flake pipe and at $55 how wrong can you go...and considering their configuration it looks like they'd easily pass the pipe cleaner test, so no gurgle...damn, I think I'm gonna buy one...:pi

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Peterson Barrell and Tankards (http://store.pipesandcigars.com/petsilmounar.html)

I'll bet any of these would make a great flake pipe and at $55 how wrong can you go...and considering their configuration it looks like they'd easily pass the pipe cleaner test, so no gurgle...damn, I think I'm gonna buy one...:pi

Yeah, Ive been looking at the rusticated barrel for a while... I just want to get some longevity out of it...

loki
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM
4 number kaywoodies. have several, love em. check ebay

Pat1075
04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
the tankards are great for flakes I have one myself and it would be my #1 flake pipe. small bowl is its only drawback

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 03:57 PM
the tankards are great for flakes I have one myself and it would be my #1 flake pipe. small bowl is its only drawback

how heavy are they?

Commander Quan
04-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Do the Barrels or the Tankards come with anything except a P-lip?

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Do the Barrels or the Tankards come with anything except a P-lip?

From what I'm looking at, no. I've never had a p-lip. what's the big deal about em?

Pat1075
04-13-2010, 04:09 PM
how heavy are they?
they are very light

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 04:11 PM
Did a little looking around and another pipe forum said that the tankard smokes hot, and disappointing.

it also mentioned a Sav Duca Carlo as a good substitute.
http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm398/Emjaysmash/SavinelliDucaCarloPipe310KS.jpg
Duca Carlo Pipe Shape 310 KS
Chamber Depth: 1 1/4"
Chamber Diameter: 3/4"
Weight: 1.8 Ounces
Availability: In Stock

Anyone with a Peterson Tankard wanna chime in about how hot it smokes? Anyone with a Duca Carlo?

Pat1075
04-13-2010, 04:12 PM
From what I'm looking at, no. I've never had a p-lip. what's the big deal about em?

the p-lip makes the smoke hit the roof of your mouth then curl back around giving your tongue a break so if you are a cigar smoker or a multi bowl a day smoker it should be a nice change of pace for you

Pat1075
04-13-2010, 04:14 PM
like I said I think the tankard smokes great but so do most flake pipes if you smoke slowly it smokes wonderful and pretty cool. If you hammer it you won't be happy with it.

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 04:32 PM
like I said I think the tankard smokes great but so do most flake pipes if you smoke slowly it smokes wonderful and pretty cool. If you hammer it you won't be happy with it.
Yeah, I've been taught that flakes need to be smoked slower, especially va or va/pers, otherwise sublteties will be missed.

ultramag
04-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Anyone with a Duca Carlo?

I don't have Duca Carlo, however I have that same shape in a Savinelli Roma (same pipe, different finish) and I think it is a pretty good flake pipe. Doesn't smoke hot or anything like that and is real comfortable to clench. It gets used when I'm doing alot of things around here and need my hands because it is a good clencher and not a high dollar pipe. :tu

I wouldn't be afraid of the Pete's the others have mentioned either for a flake pipe. I would suspect the guys running them smoke flakes hot rather than the pipe itself. To be fair though, I don't have one. I think I will soon though as I need another flake pipe or two. A Savinelli is most always a good bet though.

To piggyback and throw out another idea/suggestion.....is anyone using a Stanwell Featherweight as a flake pipe? I sure am wanting one of these in a classic shape of some kind. I've been holding off hoping to find an estate though. Any fans here???

Emjaysmash
04-13-2010, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't be afraid of the Pete's the others have mentioned either for a flake pipe. I would suspect the guys running them smoke flakes hot rather than the pipe itself. To be fair though, I don't have one. I think I will soon though as I need another flake pipe or two. A Savinelli is most always a good bet though.

To piggyback and throw out another idea/suggestion.....is anyone using a Stanwell Featherweight as a flake pipe? I sure am wanting one of these in a classic shape of some kind. I've been holding off hoping to find an estate though. Any fans here???

It looks like I just found the one guy who didn't like the Pete he bought. I dug deeper and found that many people think the Tankard especially is nice flake pipe, for its shape and weight.

Neuromancer
04-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't have Duca Carlo, however I have that same shape in a Savinelli Roma (same pipe, different finish) and I think it is a pretty good flake pipe. Doesn't smoke hot or anything like that and is real comfortable to clench. It gets used when I'm doing alot of things around here and need my hands because it is a good clencher and not a high dollar pipe. :tu...

Actually I have a Savinelli Roma Poker, and it makes a great flake pipe...

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1155412/100_1188.JPG

RevSmoke
04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
What's wrong with a billiard?

If you are going to clench, make sure it has an acylic stem if you want it to last. Or, a vulcanite if you want it to be easier on your teeth.

Or, even better yet, learn to be a "hooker." Call me so that I can explain - I am handicapped for typing right now. (see this thread for details http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=827360#post827360)

Personally, Peterson's, even with p-lips, smoke like blast furnaces - never had one smoke cool. Suggestions from me would be estate pipes - Don Carlos, Ascorti, Ser Jacopo, Castellos, Savinelli, Radice, Mastro Beraldi, Caminetto,

Here is a DC pot, used http://store.pipesandcigars.com/doncaonenosm.html

Even nicer, this Radice. http://store.pipesandcigars.com/racl2dotpipo.html