PDA

View Full Version : RH Beads question

icantbejon
11-01-2008, 09:51 AM
So if I use regular water, as opposed to distilled, for about a month and a half is that going to kill my cigars?

Also, does anyone use the cigarmony puckifier?

md4958
11-01-2008, 09:54 AM
From my understanding (and I dont understand much) you will kill the beads, not your sticks.

The beads will absorb contaminents and minerals in the water and become clogged and not work efficiently.

bobarian
11-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Tap water will have no effect on your cigars, but the impurities will eventually clog the pores in your beads making them less effective or useless. :2

Beer Doctor
11-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Tap water will have no effect on your cigars, but the impurities will eventually clog the pores in your beads making them less effective or useless. :2

:tpd:

groogs
11-01-2008, 10:41 AM
I have to agree with everyone else, from what I have heard the tap water will ruin your beads, but I have never heard anything about it effecting your cigars.

Sauer Grapes
11-01-2008, 11:07 AM
On the contrary. While it's supposed to be true that it will kill your beads, it will also make your cigars more likely to mold or take on any flavors from the water as well.

ucla695
11-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes, please stick to distilled water. It's easy to find and will keep you from having to buy more beads in the future.

LockOut
11-01-2008, 11:20 AM
is like 89 cents a gallon. seriously you can afford cigars but not distilled water

groogs
11-01-2008, 01:39 PM
On the contrary. While it's supposed to be true that it will kill your beads, it will also make your cigars more likely to mold or take on any flavors from the water as well.

I can understand they flavor issue, but why is it more likley to cause mold, arent mold spores everywhere already? I would suggest just getting the distilled water and not skimping when it comes to your cigars, but I am just curious.

webjunkie
11-01-2008, 01:44 PM
is like 89 cents a gallon. seriously you can afford cigars but not distilled water

:tpd: It's not expensive, and it will help keep your beads working down the road. Also, if you don't have a huge number of humis (or use coolers) than it will last a while. I'm still on a gallon jug that I bought last year. Then again I use a couple of tupperdors.

Sauer Grapes
11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I can understand they flavor issue, but why is it more likley to cause mold, arent mold spores everywhere already? I would suggest just getting the distilled water and not skimping when it comes to your cigars, but I am just curious.

Dunno why for sure. Just always heard of people using tap water getting mold a lot easier on their humidification source. Not saying distilled water eliminates mold issues, just from what I've seen it somehow makes it less likely.

groogs
11-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Dunno why for sure. Just always heard of people using tap water getting mold a lot easier on their humidification source. Not saying distilled water eliminates mold issues, just from what I've seen it somehow makes it less likely.

Good to know, thanks for the info.:tu

Sauer Grapes
11-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm sure some more scientifically minded gorill... er... inmates can expand on that or at least tell me I'm hairy... er... insane.

icantbejon
11-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Its definitely not a cost issue. I shipped some cigars to my parents house and they don't have a humi sitting around. So I was going to buy some more beads and send to them for the temporary holding they are doing. But I don't feel like sending them to the store for distilled water if I don't have to. It's only a month and a half, and honestly I don't care about the fate of this batch of beads. So other than the potential for mold (which we haven't verified) there is no real issue here?

Vitis
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
... So I was going to buy some more beads and send to them for the temporary holding they are doing. But I don't feel like sending them to the store for distilled water if I don't have to.

I respect your postition on not imposing on your folks, but aren't they going to be at a market to get food anyways? Pick up the distilled water then. no reason to wreck decent beads if you can avoid it. :2

~Vitis