PDA

View Full Version : Mac Or PC

longknocker
04-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Ok, My Friends. I Need To Buy A New Desktop Computer For My Office. I Already Have A Notebook PC. I've Always Used A PC, But, As Most Of You Know, I'm Not Very "Tech Savy"!:D

I Want A Simple Computer That Doesn't Freeze Up Or Cause Problems. I Basically Use A Computer For Surfing The Web, Pictures, & The Main Reason, Bantering On CA!:banger I've Heard That Dell's Customer Support Has Gone Downhill, So I'm Leaning Toward HP If I Go The PC Route. I Also Want A Free Standing, All In One Computer With No Cords Or Wires Running All Over The Room.
Thanks For Your Advice, My Friends!:)

Greg

jaydub13
04-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Well a Mac certainly fits the bill, but they sure are pricey... I would have gone with one for my notebook, but I went HP, and am quite happy with it. Price was the main reason for that. I really don't have anything bad to say about Mac. They are clean, easy to use, streamlined computers. BUT, for half the cost, you can get a very nice PC, with equal or better performance. I say go PC and spend the difference on cigars!

longknocker
04-10-2010, 05:02 AM
Well a Mac certainly fits the bill, but they sure are pricey... I would have gone with one for my notebook, but I went HP, and am quite happy with it. Price was the main reason for that. I really don't have anything bad to say about Mac. They are clean, easy to use, streamlined computers. BUT, for half the cost, you can get a very nice PC, with equal or better performance. I say go PC and spend the difference on cigars!

Jason: Does HP Have One That's All In One & Basically Cordless? Is Windows 7 Much Better Than Windows XP?
Thanks!:)

jaydub13
04-10-2010, 05:17 AM
I did some looking, and here is one (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=desktops&a1=Category&v1=All-in-One+PCs&series_name=MS220z_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/desktops/All-in-One_PCs/MS220z_series).

I loved XP, and was skeptical of Windows 7, but after using it, I'm a pretty big fan. The only things I didnt love were the programs that HP installed(damn bloatware) but those were easy to kick to the curb. It runs quick, is very slick to use, and I haven't had a single issue in the last 5 months. Good enough for me. I think as far as a GUI goes, it is superior to XP, and the functionality is there as well. If it's free(which it should be) gofer it. If you have to pay, well, XP is tried and true. But I wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger on Windows 7.

newcigarz
04-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Hey Greg. My first choice would be a Mac.
But my Father-in-Law was just in the market for a new PC, with similar needs as yours.

He bought this. It seems to have gotten decent reviews on Cnet and Amazon.
He likes it. he has mounted to the back of his monitor, but also with an HDMI to his Flat screen tv. comes with cordless mouse/keyboard Major downside is no optical drive.

It does have a built in wireless, so it will hook up to your home wi fi. basically the only cords you would need are for the power and the monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR3610-U9022-Desktop-Dark/dp/B0030L3ASU/ref=pd_cp_pc_1

longknocker
04-10-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks, Jason & Tony!:)

mosesbotbol
04-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Windows 7 rocks and the near unlimited RAM capacity allows you to setup a PC that will give you 4+ years of service without being too slow near the end of life.

JaKaacH
04-10-2010, 07:52 AM
I like MicroCenter and Newegg..
MicroCenter has great deals on HP reburbished models.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0332780

BengalMan
04-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Greg,

I think I can give you some good information on this as I just had to make this decision. I've always used PC's, and it came time for me to get a new computer, however I was looking for a laptop. Like you, my computer is mainly used for pictures, web browsing, small file editing, etc. Anyways, my wife has a Windows 7 laptop and a lot of my friends have MacBook's. While I was a little scared on getting a whole new OS, I decided to go with the MacBook Pro. I haven't looked back since. It's VERY easy to learn, in-fact, it's so easy that it's a little complicated at first because everything is so simple, lol. It's extremely fast and the photo editing is fantastic. No lock ups, no viruses, nothing, just pure computing bliss, lol. I also got Parallel's and loaded Windows XP SP2 and can run it in a window right on OSX and run any Windows program. Ultimately though, I rarely use it. OSX has almost everything I need. Plus, if you don't want all the cords, etc, the new iMac's are right up your alley. I haven't regretted my decision one bit.

AD720
04-10-2010, 08:32 AM
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26039

mariogolbee
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Greg, I have had a 24" Imac for two years now. It was the previous year's model which makes it about three years old now. I love it and have had only one problem ever. The HD crashed once. I have Apple Care and it was fixed, at no additional cost, within a week. I also have the wireless HD/router called "Time Machine." This allowed me to restore all of my info easily after the Mac got fixed. The Time Machine is constantly performing automatic backups every hour. I did have to reload Windows via Bootcamp and lost that info though. The entire experience was fairly painless. I've never had a PC that has lasted this long.

As far as price is concerned you can spend anywhere from just over $1000 to $2000 depending on size and features. For that the higher end model you will get your moneys worth and not have to upgrade for a very long time. I would suggest you buy your own memory though. Especially since you can easily pop in up to 16G of it!

It only has ONE wire by the way.

tomc3084
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
PC all da way babY!

Darrell
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
http://media.odetoapple.com/i/general/mac-pc.jpg

cort
04-10-2010, 10:58 AM
http://media.odetoapple.com/i/general/mac-pc.jpg

:tpd:

Titan410
04-10-2010, 12:39 PM
While I was a little scared on getting a whole new OS, I decided to go with the MacBook Pro. I haven't looked back since.

I'll never own a PC again. Anyone who says PC, have you actually owned and used a Mac for more than six months? Just curious. I was the most pro-pc guy out there, until I switched. Now I wish I hadn't waited so long.
I bought a Macbook laptop 1.5 years ago and it is FANTASTIC.
No defragging, registry cleaning, etc., it just WORKS, like its brand new - every time.

ScottishSmoker
04-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Until Steve Jobs and his obnoxious black turtleneck sweater and God Complex go the way of the Dodo, I will NEVER buy an Apple product...that being said, I use a PC...and am damned happy too...

Titan410
04-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Until Steve Jobs and his obnoxious black turtleneck sweater and God Complex go the way of the Dodo, I will NEVER buy an Apple product...that being said, I use a PC...and am damned happy too...

They say that ignorance is bliss. ;)

mosesbotbol
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll never own a PC again. Anyone who says PC, have you actually owned and used a Mac for more than six months?

Yes.

Been using Mac's since Apple 2E's and would take a PC of equal value any day.

longknocker
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
So Far, I Think It's 50-50!:) Thanks For All The Advice, My Friends!:tu

mariogolbee
04-10-2010, 01:19 PM

I call ad homonym. If you're going to attack Steve Jobs for whatever reason then you should take a good hard look at Bill Gates. But what do these men have to do with the actual product?

floydp
04-10-2010, 01:35 PM
If you game then I'd say PC or have the dough to get a Mac Pro. Heavy gaming on an Imac 24" at least the last generation creates to much heat and will in some cases fry the vid card. My wifes died after 16 months and like a dummy I didn't get Apple care. She ended up with a 2,000 dollar paper weight. Fixing would of been in excess of 500 bucks(if that works,some cases the mb needs replacing) for a vid card that has street value of less than 50 bucks. The problem was the vid card was soldered in so that's beyond my capability. Needless to say she's back to pc mainly because this issue on the windows platform costs me whatever the best vid card that the mb could tolerate. I have to say I like Windows 7. I personally use a Macbook pro and also have a Macbook that I take if we travel. I think the the Imac is a very good machine but I wouldn't get another without Applecare. This is merely my opinion and mine alone. Your mileage may vary.

Wolfgang
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
I use both. Both have a place in my heart and work space. Macs are easier. Pcs are good for gaming.

Do you game?

If not consider the Mac

Titan410
04-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Get a Mac and put Windows 7 on it if you must. :jd

longknocker
04-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I use both. Both have a place in my heart and work space. Macs are easier. Pcs are good for gaming.

Do you game?

If not consider the Mac

Don't Game Much, So I would Just Have To Learn The Mac Language If I Went That Route.

Ratters
04-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't know why people say macs are so easy to use. Windows is much more intuitive for me. We used macs forever at work and I was so happy two years ago when we finally switched to PC. I'm happy to say I'll never have to use a mac again. But then again, ymmv.

But my main question is why a desktop? Get a notebook, monitor and keyboard. That way if you need to take it with you, or want to do some work out of the office in the park with a smoke, you just go do that. You can pick up a keyboard for next to nothing, and if you get a generation old monitor, that will work fine and cost almost nothing too.

longknocker
04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't know why people say macs are so easy to use. Windows is much more intuitive for me. We used macs forever at work and I was so happy two years ago when we finally switched to PC. I'm happy to say I'll never have to use a mac again. But then again, ymmv.

But my main question is why a desktop? Get a notebook, monitor and keyboard. That way if you need to take it with you, or want to do some work out of the office in the park with a smoke, you just go do that. You can pick up a keyboard for next to nothing, and if you get a generation old monitor, that will work fine and cost almost nothing too.

I Already Have a Dell Notebook, But I Like The Idea Of Having A "Permanent" All-in-one Desktop. I Also Need A Wireless Printer & Just Thought It Would Be Easier With Either An All-In-One PC Or Mac. Like I Said Before, I Can't Stand Wires & Cables Everywhere And I Think I Would Have That With A Noebook, Monitor, & Keyboard.:)

Starscream
04-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Not a big Mac user here, but I've never been let down by a PC since Windows 3.0. Whatever you decide, make sure of it, Greg.

longknocker
04-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Not a big Mac user here, but I've never been let down by a PC since Windows 3.0. Whatever you decide, make sure of it, Greg.

Thanks, Andy! No Big Rush For Me.:)

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-10-2010, 07:45 PM
PC all the way Greg! Mac's are way overated and not to mention over priced. Apple is just a marketing genius.

longknocker
04-10-2010, 07:51 PM
PC all the way Greg! Mac's are way overated and not to mention over priced. Apple is just a marketing genius.
Maybe My Problem Is My Old Computer. It's As Slow As Christmas & Always Freezes Up. It "Is" 8 Years Old, Though!:r

JaKaacH
04-10-2010, 08:54 PM

:fu2 Apple, Ipad's, Ipod's, iPhony's:=:

Blueface
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM
Cello on or off?

I am an Apple idiot for a lack of a better word based on some of the anti Apple comments on this board.

I own an iPhone
I own TWO iPods
I own an iPod Touch First Gen (for my grandson's use)
I own a MacBook
I own an Airport Extreme wireless router
I buy my music from iTunes
I can't wait for the next iPhone to come out this summer
I am thinking of buying an iPad

Yeah, that Steve Jobs is an idiot who makes dumb crap that gets intelligent people who run major companies, who earn six figures, to act like idiots and just buy all his crap that doesn't work.

I guess I do it it because I haven't figured out yet how to break the spell. Of course, it has absolutely nothing to do with what I perceive to be quality and joy of use. Nope. Nothing to do with that at all.:rolleyes:

BTW,
I was doing some reading earlier and stumbled on a thing that as an Apple user I am not familiar with.
Can someone explain what "Anti Virus Software" means?
Why would I spend $50 annually on this?
Seems it is only for PC's and am concerned it is not for my MacBook.:rolleyes:
Thanks.

VirtualSmitty
04-10-2010, 09:37 PM
BTW,
I was doing some reading earlier and stumbled on a thing that as an Apple user I am not familiar with.
Can someone explain what "Anti Virus Software" means?
Why would I spend $50 annually on this?
Seems it is only for PC's and am concerned it is not for my MacBook.:rolleyes:
Thanks.

Don't feel left out Carlos, there are plenty of anti virus programs for macs too:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/avastantivirusmacedition.html

Not to mention a bunch more under network and security ;):D

I've used a macs on and off since college, own a 24" imac for the last 1.5 years and can safetly say it doesn't float my boat. It's a nice computer, but I prefer using my pc dual booting Win7/whatever open source OS i'm feeling at the time :)

MiamiE
04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a PC and want a Mac real bad. I also own an iPhone.

Blueface
04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Don't feel left out Carlos, there are plenty of anti virus programs for macs too:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/networking_security/avastantivirusmacedition.html

Not to mention a bunch more under network and security ;):D

I've used a macs on and off since college, own a 24" imac for the last 1.5 years and can safetly say it doesn't float my boat. It's a nice computer, but I prefer using my pc dual booting Win7/whatever open source OS i'm feeling at the time :)

Joe,
You know what is one of the only few things worth my while to wake up with pains all over my body every morning due to breaking 50 and literally "breaking"? I get to see things repeatedly.

In the 60's/70's/80's, when I was the age of many on this board, the argument wasn't over Apple v. PC. It was over things like Caddy or Lincoln.
My dad owned a Lincoln. His neighbor owned a Caddy. Neither one could believe the other could possibly be better. When you hear the arguments over Mac v. PC, you swear you are hearing it over a Caddy v. a Lincoln all over again.

I guess if I make it to 90, I will look back at this one and chuckle when I hear what that one will be.:D

VirtualSmitty
04-10-2010, 09:46 PM
In the 60's/70's/80's, when I was the age of many on this board, the argument wasn't over Apple v. PC. It was over things like Caddy or Lincoln.
My dad owned a Lincoln. His neighbor owned a Caddy. Neither one could believe the other could possibly be better. When you hear the arguments over Mac v. PC, you swear you are hearing it over a Caddy v. a Lincoln all over again.

I guess if I make it to 90, I will look back at this one and chuckle when I hear what that one will be.:D

Caddy hands down :D

Blueface
04-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Caddy hands down :D

Yeah, but don't forget, Lincoln ALWAYS had the better ride.:r

VirtualSmitty
04-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Yeah, but don't forget, Lincoln ALWAYS had the better ride.:r

Don't be a Lincoln fanboy Carlos. I don't care about the smoother ride, or the less time they spend getting fixed, or how shiny they are, Caddy's are better because they are Caddy's and I own one so i'm an expert and my opinion is right because I know what i'm talking about. BAM! :banger

King James
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
oh god, not another one of these threads! LOL

longknocker
04-11-2010, 05:53 AM
oh god, not another one of these threads! LOL

A "Different" One, Jim!:r OK, I Figure I Can Get The Smaller Screen Mac With Everything I Want For Around $1600. The Dual Processor All In One From HP Is Around $1600. Which One Is Faster For Every Day Tasks & Which Is Better For Doing Several Apps At Once? This Would Be Using Windows 7 Vs. Mac's OS. It Also Seems That Mac Has An Automatic Back Up For Your Data That Seems Really Useful For Someone Like Me Who Is "Computer Illiterate".

AD720
04-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Greg read the other thread. You are not going to get an answer. People are going to argue for a week, you are going to get confused and it's going end up with everyone saying get what's right you for and you will end up not getting anything because you are so confused.

replicant_argent
04-11-2010, 08:29 AM
or you could just bite the bullet and buy a Commodore 64.

Kreth
04-11-2010, 08:40 AM
or you could just bite the bullet and buy a Commodore 64.
Commodore sucks! Go with a TRS-80. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

longknocker
04-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Just Wanted To Let Everyone Know. I Ordered An IMAC 21.5 Today!:banger
Thanks For The Advice, Everyone!:tu

mariogolbee
04-14-2010, 06:22 PM

AWESOME!:banger Which specs did you go with?

Smokin Gator
04-14-2010, 06:27 PM

I haven't read this thread... but I can say as a Mac user since 1991... I really don't think you will be disappointed if you use the computer for what most of us use them for today:tu

longknocker
04-14-2010, 06:28 PM
AWESOME!:banger Which specs did you go with?

Upgraded To The More expensive & Hopefully Better Video Card With 1 TB HD. Airport Express To Make My Old HP Printer Wireless. Went With The Standard 4MB RAM & Decided Not To Order Windows 7 At This Time. What Do You Have?:)

longknocker
04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
I haven't read this thread... but I can say as a Mac user since 1991... I really don't think you will be disappointed if you use the computer for what most of us use them for today:tu

Good To Hear, Brent!:tu

longknocker
04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Here's A Picture:
http://www.apple.com/imac/

AD720
04-14-2010, 07:15 PM
:tu:tu

Blueface
04-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Here's A Picture:
http://www.apple.com/imac/

Nice!!!
Welcome to the Apple world.

mariogolbee
04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Upgraded To The More expensive & Hopefully Better Video Card With 1 TB HD. Airport Express To Make My Old HP Printer Wireless. Went With The Standard 4MB RAM & Decided Not To Order Windows 7 At This Time. What Do You Have?:)

I purchased mine through our college bookstore about two years ago by way of a scholarship. To my good fortune one of the faculty had returned the system due to an upgraded version coming out. All this means is that it's a three year old model. Not nearly as cool as yours but she's still running flawlessly!

My model is the 24", 2.4 Ghz Core Duo, HD Radeon 2700, 300 G HD, and came with 2 G of RAM. I upgraded to 4 G easily and inexpensively with Crucial Memory. You can upgrade to 16 G of RAM I think should the occasion arise.

I'm fairly sure you'll be happy with your purchase. Well done Greg.:tu

I suggest getting Apple Care if you haven't already. The Time Machine is also wonderful as a wireless N base station and wireless backup unit.

longknocker
04-14-2010, 08:55 PM
I purchased mine through our college bookstore about two years ago by way of a scholarship. To my good fortune one of the faculty had returned the system due to an upgraded version coming out. All this means is that it's a three year old model. Not nearly as cool as yours but she's still running flawlessly!

My model is the 24", 2.4 Ghz Core Duo, HD Radeon 2700, 300 G HD, and came with 2 G of RAM. I upgraded to 4 G easily and inexpensively with Crucial Memory. You can upgrade to 16 G of RAM I think should the occasion arise.

I'm fairly sure you'll be happy with your purchase. Well done Greg.:tu

I suggest getting Apple Care if you haven't already. The Time Machine is also wonderful as a wireless N base station and wireless backup unit.

Thanks, Mario!:) I Did Get The Apple Care As Recommended By Many. Now I Just Have To Learn The New "Language"!:D

goalie204
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM
just my 2 cents: ive been using macs and pcs for as long as i can remember, and i like them both. If my pc died, i wouldn't buy a new one, but if my mac did, i would buy a new one :)

longknocker
04-15-2010, 03:45 AM
just my 2 cents: ive been using macs and pcs for as long as i can remember, and i like them both. If my pc died, i wouldn't buy a new one, but if my mac did, i would buy a new one :)

Good Recommendation!:tu

GreekGodX
04-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Congrats on the computer Greg :tu

Looks like we are both taking the leap into the Mac world together :)

longknocker
04-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Congrats on the computer Greg :tu

Looks like we are both taking the leap into the Mac world together :)

:banger Which One Did You Get?

newcigarz
04-15-2010, 04:14 AM

congrats!

longknocker
04-15-2010, 04:21 AM
congrats!

Thanks, Tony!:)

GreekGodX
04-15-2010, 05:20 AM
:banger Which One Did You Get?

Ordered the new Macbook Pro 15" with the i7 processor :)

goalie204
04-15-2010, 06:54 AM

good call, i have been eyeing that for a day now, thinking of trading up for that one :D ..but will have to get the 7200 rpm drive for 50 bux more not the 5400 that comes with it ;x

AD720
04-15-2010, 07:07 AM

:=:

I don't even know what the hell I would do with that much machine! :D My MacBook Plastic does everything I need it to and more Nice pickup.

GreekGodX
04-15-2010, 08:47 AM
good call, i have been eyeing that for a day now, thinking of trading up for that one :D ..but will have to get the 7200 rpm drive for 50 bux more not the 5400 that comes with it ;x

yea good call. I got the 7200 rpm hdd and high-res antiglare screen. Didn't upgrade the RAM. I'll wait for the DDR3 gets cheaper and then upgrade it myself..

:=:

I don't even know what the hell I would do with that much machine! :D My MacBook Plastic does everything I need it to and more Nice pickup.

I was thinking the same thing. The specs are way more than I need but I don't plan on buying a new one for a while.

goalie204
04-15-2010, 09:19 PM
ordered :)

15 inch mbp, 2.66ghz intel core i7
4gb ram
500gb 7200 rpm hd
nvidia geforce gt 330m with 512mb, :)

Mpython24
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
I have a HP for college. Does the job. Had to send it back for a fried motherboard. That SUCKED but they fixed it for free and customer service was great. I would love to have a Mac someday though. thats my 2 cents.:2