PDA

View Full Version : The Photochop practice and advice thread

markem
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I've been thinking about another photochop contest. However, after my last one, many people complained that there is a certain group that is well above the norm and "always wins" (I don't think that part is necessarily true).

So it seems to me that people need a place where they can post their chops, ask questions, and get advice on how to make them better. I think that this is a thread that, if successful, will become quite the learning tool here at CA.

I have no photochop skills, so I probably won't participate for a while, but I am interested in how people do such a good job at matching skin tone.

So post some chops, share some tips and tricks and let's get ready for when the next contest shows up.

replicant_argent
04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
can we make sure to keep the Creepy Stalker factor to a minimum? How about making sure the subject has given permission to the chopper?

Mugen910
04-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Even though it is all in good fun...I agree with Pete...permission would be a good idea.

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:22 AM
What is the "Creepy Stalker" factor? :confused:

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:27 AM
can we make sure to keep the Creepy Stalker factor to a minimum? How about making sure the subject has given permission to the chopper?

Even though it is all in good fun...I agree with Pete...permission would be a good idea.

O.K. I'll bite.

How would these permissions be managed?

I understand where you are coming from but I see another nightmare for the TOE. In the past, I think we've done a decent job (and the participants, too) in keeping things from going too far.

shilala
04-07-2010, 09:30 AM
O.K. I'll bite.

How would these permissions be managed?

I understand where you are coming from but I see another nightmare for the TOE. In the past, I think we've done a decent job (and the participants, too) in keeping things from going too far.
A guy would just have to pm a guy to use their pic.

The "Creepy Stalker" factor is when someone chops and posts someone's picture they don't know. Some guys are sensitive to it, Peter.
It's understandable, especially if things get "weird".
Never phased me, but I don't take anything very seriously and I have a very broad sick sense of humor. It can definately get over the top sometimes, though.

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:34 AM

The "Creepy Stalker" factor is when someone chops and posts someone's picture they don't know. Some guys are sensitive to it, Peter.
It's understandable, especially if things get "weird".
Never phased me, but I don't take anything very seriously and I have a very broad sick sense of humor. It can definately get over the top sometimes, though.

I understand that. Now I'm not trying to split hairs here but I do want to understand. What constitutes someone you "know". There are a lot of members here I've never met face to face. Hypothetically, which ones do I know and which ones don't I know?

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:36 AM

So, I guess each chop would have to be approved by the choppee before being posted? How does one handle a chop with 5 or 6 people in it? Approval from all?

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I see this as a nightmare.

Mugen910
04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Maybe just keeping it simple and asking the person (choppie) before they are photo chopped?

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Maybe just keeping it simple and asking the person (choppie) before they are photo chopped?

Before? What happens if they don't like the results? We're right where we are without permissions in the first place.

replicant_argent
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
So, I guess each chop would have to be approved by the choppee before being posted? How does one handle a chop with 5 or 6 people in it? Approval from all?

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I see this as a nightmare.

Only for the chopper, Peter, the ToE need not be involved. A pm would serve as a "receipt" in case of an issue. And I think it might be appropriate, and minimal time invested by the chopper and the choppee to insure a "more harmonious" environment. :D You trust your friends or you don't.

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Also, if members don't allow themselves to be chopped, do we allow them to participate in the contest? (Yeah. This is cool. As long as it isn't me.)

Sorry for the threadjack, Mark. This thread was supposed to be about sharing skills and techniques and it turned into something else.

Mugen910
04-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Before? What happens if they don't like the results? We're right where we are without permissions in the first place.

If they don't like it then the chop doesn't get posted...better to not have something posted then start a pissing match.

Mark,
One tip I got from my creative dept was if I want to phase someone out then copy the background nearby, rotate, and paste over..I did this with another woman's shadow that was ruining my sunset photo.

T.G
04-07-2010, 09:41 AM
Howabouts you just chop away and if the chopie has an issue with it, they just PM the chopper or hit the report post button ?

Jezus, it's not like you need a modeling release and contract, it's a frickin' photochop for fun on a cigar forum. Do you seriously think anyone here is that malicious?

It's a photochop, not a faked celebrity nudie picture...

replicant_argent
04-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Also, if members don't allow themselves to be chopped, do we allow them to participate in the contest? (Yeah. This is cool. As long as it isn't me.)

Sorry for the threadjack, Mark. This thread was supposed to be about sharing skills and techniques and it turned into something else.

You are correct, I was addressing a "policy" or "etiquette" issue rather than the nuts and bolts of PS'ing. I think it needed to be clarified again, and am not alone. I threadjacked it a bit before you.
Sorry.

Mugen910
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Howabouts you just chop away and if the chopie has an issue with it, they just PM the chopper or hit the report post button ?

Jezus, it's not like you need a modeling release and contract, it's a frickin' photochop for fun on a cigar forum. Do you seriously think anyone here is that malicious?

It happens by accident. The choppee doesn't like the pic and feelings get hurt, sad but true.

pnoon
04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
If they don't like it then the chop doesn't get posted...better to not have something posted then start a pissing match.

So, if I understand you correctly, Bao, permission is after the chop but before posting.

This is how things have been handled in the past.
You are correct, I was addressing a "policy" or "etiquette" issue rather than the nuts and bolts of PS'ing. I think it needed to be clarified again, and am not alone. I threadjacked it a bit before you.
Sorry.
I understand your concerns, Pete.

T.G
04-07-2010, 09:48 AM
It happens by accident. The choppee doesn't like the pic and feelings get hurt, sad but true.

I'm well aware of that, hence why they can then PM the chopper and ask that the photo be taken down or hit the report post button, or quit acting like a whinny little schoolgirl.

You guys are creating a mountain out of a molehill and in the process, you're asking the admins to be your police or daycare supervisors. I think they have better things to do than that.

Mugen910
04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
So, if I understand you correctly, Bao, permission is after the chop but before posting.

Yupper

I'm well aware of that, hence why they can then PM the chopper and ask that the photo be taken down or hit the report post button, or quit acting like a whinny little schoolgirl.

You guys are creating a mountain out of a molehill and in the process, you're asking the admins to be your police or daycare supervisors. I think they have better things to do than that.

I would love to say that everyone here loves everyone else but some personalities clash. I fully agree with it being "Just in good fun" but like I said, some are more sensitive than others as such some have different opinions of what is funny or rude.

The ToE don't have to do anything...Choppers should just understand a rule of courtesy, as some don't like being chopped.

T.G
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I would love to say that everyone here loves everyone else but some personalities clash. I fully agree with it being "Just in good fun" but like I said, some are more sensitive than others as such some have different opinions of what is funny or rude.

Such is the case on every forum.

replicant_argent
04-07-2010, 09:56 AM

No, we aren't.

And after the horse is out of the barn, some of those images that have been removed after the fact have shown up at a later date. For some, that isn't a problem, but for those that have been chopped in an inappropriate or offensive fashion, it may matter. Personally or professionally. That may be what you are missing, without trying to insult your intelligence, sir.

I believe that adhering to a standard that anything on this board could be looked at by a tween (picture your child looking over your shoulder, or someone esles, for that matter) is one that is not difficult.

T.G
04-07-2010, 10:14 AM
And after the horse is out of the barn, some of those images that have been removed after the fact have shown up at a later date. For some, that isn't a problem, but for those that have been chopped in an inappropriate or offensive fashion, it may matter. Personally or professionally. That may be what you are missing, without trying to insult your intelligence, sir.

I'm fully aware of that possibilty, just not really concerned with it because the people who would ask permission beforehand aren't the ones who you need to worry about doing something like that. Those that would, will do regardless. And most photochops are so laughably pathetic that anyone who could have their repuation damaged by them has bigger issues to worry about than a measly photoshop.

Wanger
04-07-2010, 10:17 AM
Yupper

The ToE don't have to do anything...Choppers should just understand a rule of courtesy, as some don't like being chopped.

And there are some that do not want certain others to use them in a chop, where there are others that they may allow to use them in a chop, mostly due to past history.

And that's the key here...courtesy. It's been lacking at times in the past, and gotten people in trouble.

I have a fairly relaxed sense of humor, so in many instances, I'd be OK with being chopped (specifically for a contest), but not in all of them. Just my :2

I'm fully aware of that possibilty, just not really concerned with it because the people who would ask permission beforehand aren't the ones who you need to worry about doing something like that. Those that would, will do regardless. And most photochops are so laughably pathetic that anyone who could have their repuation damaged by them has bigger issues to worry about than a measly photoshop.

As Pete said, it's the offensiveness/inappropriateness that is the issue. If there is someone who does a chop that is offensive/inappropriate, it shouldn't be posted on the open board without permission to begin with, though I don't understand why they would want to do one in that manner, to begin with (for their own use only). It's not quite as much the damage to their reputation, but the poor taste in which it may be done. I've seen it before here.

Commander Quan
04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
What if there was an opt out thread. Anyone who posts in the opt out thread can not have their image used in any of the photo chops. This would either have to be all in, or all out. Someone couldn't say "it's ok if Poon uses my image but Quan can't"

markem
04-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Let's just ban the use of images at CA. No avatars, no personal pics, no nothing. That'd solve that world problem and then we can move on to other world problems like fonts that people don't like.

Here I thought that I'd try to do something to help bring up the skill level of interested people on the board and it turns into a thread about how we don't have enough rules (because "report a post" is clearly insufficient).

Close the thread please.

LasciviousXXX
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Agreed that some people are MUCH more sensitive than others. I myself don't care what type of picture you chop me into, I have a good sense of humor and am not easily offended so I know its all in good fun by my CA fam :tu

However I know there are some who do not find their image being used amusing, its just different perspectives. Some would even be offended by their face being put on a cat's body. People just have different levels of skin thickness :2

I for one think people just need to chill out and relax and have a good time.

LasciviousXXX
04-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Close the thread please.

Done bro. Hopefully everyone can remember what CA is all about. Its about family and community. Have a good time and enjoy life.