PDA

View Full Version : Total Shoulder replacment?

Wolfgang
04-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Has anyone here had one?

Its looking like i will be needing one soon and to be honest I'm scared sh!tless. Ive already had the hip replacement but from what I've heard already the shoulder is horrible.

Please share any info/ experience you have.

One part closer to cyborg
Mark

CigarNut
04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Don't know of anyone who had this done. My friend had his rotator cuff repaired. It was a big deal but he came through OK. The recovery time was long, but he did all of his PT and exercises and his shoulder is good as new!

Hope that everything goes OK for you!

Savvy
04-05-2010, 11:47 AM
http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/images/Terminator3-09.jpg

Future Mark?

My family have all torn their rotator cuffs, but I don't know anyone that's gone through a shoulder replacement. Wish you the best of luck with the recovery, and at least you can still smoke cigars with your other hand :tu

tobii3
04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
well, they superglued, screwed, nailed, and I think duct-taped my scapula to hold it together.

If that's any indication/comparison of how bad the shoulder could be, DON'T DO IT.

&^%$, even BREATHING hurt.

mash
04-05-2010, 12:05 PM
My brother had his done. You're right, the technology isn't quite where hips are, but the point is to eliminate chronic pain. If you have a good surgeon, this should be the outcome.
Once it gets to the point where you can't sleep at night because you hurt all the time, it looks a lot more attractive.

shilala
04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I haven't had it done, but I'd do my back surgery all over again if I had to.
The worse that can happen with a shoulder is if they leave it off, and if it hurts anything like my back did, it's worth it.
They don't run into this kind of surgery, so you must have exhausted all the options.
Balance how good your hip feels and flip a coin.
If you don't find anyone here who's had it done, I'm sure if you look you'll find a joint replacement forum out there. Read up and talk to the folks there.
Good luck, Marc. Our prayers will be with you, my friend!!!

Resipsa
04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Not yet but the doctor already warned me it's in my future. I've already had 4 operations, thw worst of which put me in an airplane brace for almost 3 months and I still have problems and pain with it. If it gives you some relief I say go for it

Wolfgang
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I have A vascular necrosis in the head of the humeral. It is only getting worse and worse. I have passed the point of being able to sleep thus the doc prescribed me Ambien which works but isn't a solution.

Made an appointment with an Orthopedic doc and a rumetoloist we'll see where this goes.

hotreds
04-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Boy, oh boy, that sounds like fun! Wish I could add something useful, but allow me to send you all the best wishes possible!

TripleF
04-05-2010, 03:46 PM
I have A vascular necrosis in the head of the humeral. It is only getting worse and worse. I have passed the point of being able to sleep thus the doc prescribed me Ambien which works but isn't a solution.

Made an appointment with an Orthopedic doc and a rumetoloist we'll see where this goes.

Sheeeeesh dude, I'm hurtin for ya. Wishing you all the best brother....really.

Wolfgang
04-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks all. Today kinda sealed the deal for me. Something popped today and its been hell since.

Smokin Gator
04-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I have absolutely no guidance to give... but my thoughts and prayers will be with ya brother!!!

ahc4353
04-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Prayers sent Mark. Keep us posted.

rizzle
04-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Damn Wolfie, I hate to hear that. I know it seems like you've been through hell and back.

I can't give you first hand experience but I have a client that had his replaced. It's been probably about 5 years or so since he had the last one as they had to do it 3 times because it kept going "bad" so to speak. He can't play golf anymore or do a lot of other things that he previosuly could, but he's almost 65 years old now, too.

But joint replacement has come a long way in a short period of time, it's almost like having a cavity filled. Just routine, almost. I'll be thinking about you bro.

issues
04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Good luck Mark, I'll be prayin' for you...

Wolfgang
04-06-2010, 01:19 PM
At 65 things are different. I'm a spry 21 year old I healed much faster than most after my hip replacement. And im hoping age will be on my side this time too. I will update after I see the Ortho Doctor hopefully its just a muscle tear or something.

Dooge
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Sorry to hear about this mark! thoughts and prayers are with you!

tx_tuff
04-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Prayers sent your way, hope you get some good news.

andrew
04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I work in an ortho hospital and we've had a few TSAs. Like with any surgery, there are risks involved. The most extensive part will be PT. Typically, after the procedure, a three or four day hospitalization is all that's needed to ensure that the patient is stable, then the rest is done in an outpatient setting.

What are your concerns with the procedure?

mosesbotbol
04-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Never heard of this, but it sounds serious and since you've had the hip done, you know more than most will tell you.

I can't and don't want to imagine this, but hope you all the success and speedy recovery. You'll be doing Arnold's with 60's in no time. Well hopefully at least

Tazziedevil
04-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Well, I've had a total shoulder reconstruction... I tore two tendons, a ligament and did cartilage damage to my shoulder. My recovery took awhile, and PT was not so nice. That was about two years ago, and I still don't have full function in my shoulder. It's not nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wolfgang
04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I work in an ortho hospital and we've had a few TSAs. Like with any surgery, there are risks involved. The most extensive part will be PT. Typically, after the procedure, a three or four day hospitalization is all that's needed to ensure that the patient is stable, then the rest is done in an outpatient setting.

What are your concerns with the procedure?

My main concern is the recovery and hopes of almost normal movement afterward. PT is something i take very seriously and follow to the "T" I do nothing more nothing less than what Im told. However i know my own limits and I will not be rushed to achieve increased angles.

Wolfgang
04-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Ive got some good news. Ive been laying down most the night with my bad arm/shoulder propping my head up. I reajusted how i was laying and heard a gawd aweful pop then felt a shooting pain through my whole arm. Ok time for the good news. Now I have full mobility with my arm and there is no pain....... :confused::confused:

Anyone have any idea what happened? I dont think it was dislocated but what do I know? Its all better now.... Still going to the ortho doc to see whats up.:su

Ratters
04-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Yep, sounds like it was dislocated and popped back in. Fortunately I don't have the problem, but I have a ton of friends who've f-ed their shoulders crashing motorcycles and they tell me that's what it's like. And they tend to get progressively worse. The more it pops out, the more it will pop out. My buddy did it in his sleep last week. At least he is better about getting it popped back in. Last year at a track day he crashed and they pumped him full of drugs for the shoulder until the doc popped it back in. As soon as it went back in, no pain at all.

I beat Laura, btw. ;)

andrew
04-07-2010, 10:42 AM
That's great news. From the sound of it, it was probably dislocated (may have even been putting some pressure on a nerve). Beats a TSA for sure.

hotreds
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Happy to hear. Certainly does sound like what has been suggested. Nonetheless, good idea to see the doc.

Wolfgang
04-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Definitely. Something is going on in there.

1badhog07
04-07-2010, 07:13 PM
good luck brother,i will be praying for ya!