PDA

View Full Version : Question about external hard drives

pennjones
03-30-2010, 02:56 PM
So I'm looking into getting an external hard drive. The question I have is: Are there any out there that are compatible with both pc's and apple's. I currently have a pc, but want to buy an apple mac mini. I would want the hard drive so I could take all the files from my pc (pics, movies, text docs, etc), and store them on the hard drive. I would want to use the external hard drive on the mac mini as a storage device, not just a temporary type thing, so that the computer itself will perform better. Are there any out there that can do this? Please let me know. Oh btw, I'm looking at at least 1tb. Thanks in advance for the advice!

shilala
03-30-2010, 02:59 PM
We just did this a couple days ago, Dustin (lasciviousxxx) was looking.
I don't know of any externals that'll cover both situations out of the box, but I can't see why you can't format any of them to work with either OS.
I'm not very Mac-inclined, someone else should be able to help a lot more.

Junior
03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go that works with both my PC and MacBook Pro.

taltos
03-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Seagate Free Agent Desk also works with both PC's and Apple products.

Blueface
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
I have a Seagate FreeAgent Go that works with both my PC and MacBook Pro.

:tpd:

I also a second one called a Passport (forgot the manufacturer) that works with both.

jkim05
03-30-2010, 03:47 PM
:tpd:

I also a second one called a Passport (forgot the manufacturer) that works with both.

Western Digital

JE3146
03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Why not setup a multidrive NAS? Not sure what your budget is, but that's what I'd do. Better yet, just setup a pair of spare drive inside your PC. Share them over the network, then stream video and music off your PC via the mac mini.

HDD's over 1TB are hit or miss at the moment, which is why I suggested the 1TB setups.

Blueface
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Western Digital

That is it.
Thanks.
I keep it remotely at my dad's house and at my age, tough to remember things.
In fact, at one point, I spent the entire weekend looking for it all over the house before I remembered I keep it at dad's place.:r

CasaDooley
03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Check these guys out.
clickfree http://www.clickfree.com/index.php

pennjones
03-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Thanks guys for all the responses. I'm looking into all of them. 1tb is probably how big I'll end up going for now!