PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood

OLS
03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Did a search and didn't find a thread for the dead. I do not have cable cause I am a cheapskate.
But I DO like to watch good TV, so I just bought the Deadwood Series boxset the other day. I would
see it cleaning up at awards shows and kept thinking ONE DAY I am going to pick up a season and
check it out. Well, it's been some time, and after watching 3 of the 18 discs, obviously I am hooked
as would anyone be who likes western fare. You can't SHOW me a old western and get a rise
out of me, but I do like a good modern western. I think Open Range is fantastic, and we all love
Unforgiven, and about as far as I will go back is Spaghetti westerns. But now after seeing some
Deadwood, I am a little confused about one thing. I know they cursed alot back then, but these
people take cursing to a professional level I thought reserved for only the most advanced societies.
I am not saying they didn't toss F-bombs out the ass back then, but MAN, this is unbelievable. I am
not a prude, in fact I am as bad as a male Calamity Jane, but it WAS a little surprising from the first
minute of the series.

NCRadioMan
03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
It was written for today's audience. As you keep watching, you will hear words and phrases nobody ever said until the last 20 years.

OLS
03-23-2010, 01:20 PM
I am also struck by the tightness of the town. EVERY other show every made of the old west
shows these super wide streets. They look totally unrealistic, but I am sure they were made that
way with film production in mind. Room to place the cameras and crew and still shoot from any angle.
But MAN this town is filthy and tight. And I love Jane and her mouth. She has some of the funniest lines
in the program to boot. I know I am late in seeing all this, but I F'ing LOVE IT.

OLS
03-23-2010, 01:21 PM
It was written for today's audience. As you keep watching, you will hear words and phrases nobody ever said until the last 20 years.
HAHAHAHA, I sensed that this was on the horizon. "We've GOT to get word to Cheyenne!!
Lemme have your cell, Jane...you got minutes?"

SNKBYT
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
I have all 3 seasons box sets of DW........you ain't heard nothing yet

keep your eye on Jack McCall & Mr W (not Woo)

also stopped by the real DW a few years back while crossing over from the West Coast (& no it wasn't on a wagon)

icehog3
03-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Really wish that David Milch had kept his word and produced the 2 three hour movies to wrap this up, one of my favorite series of all time.

"Two San Francisco C***s***ers." :r

SNKBYT
03-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Really wish that David Milch had kept his word and produced the 2 three hour movies to wrap this up, one of my favorite series of all time.

here ya go brother, http://www.deadwood.org/ for real Deadwood fans

icehog3
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
here ya go brother, http://www.deadwood.org/ for real Deadwood fans

Looks more like for goofy tourists, Alex! ;) :r

SNKBYT
03-23-2010, 02:17 PM

it has a few goofy stops, but still holds alot of history if you know where to look

OLS
03-23-2010, 02:22 PM
"Millinery salesman, huh. Have a nice day selling hats, co**sucker!"

Don Fernando
03-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I watched part of season one, it's hard to watch even though I am a sucker for Wild West stories.

CasaDooley
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM

Who you callin goofy!:r These pics were taken last April in Deadwood on the way back from seeing my daughter and meeting up with the MoB. The streets are narrow, lots of gambling, free drinks and cigar smoking is allowed all over! One of our favorite places to visit.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_0419KDpics0241.jpg
Terrie and I with Wild Bill
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_0419KDpics0084.jpg
Deadwood Tobacoo Co is a must see if your visiting

Neuromancer
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I thought it was a great show....too bad they cancelled it...

Whee
03-23-2010, 03:07 PM

"Swea'gin. Wu. http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/IllinoisHoosier/smilies/fingersx.gif"

Love this show. If you have DirecTV, The 101 is playing this series on Sunday nights. It just restarted a couple of weeks ago.

Darrell
03-23-2010, 03:33 PM
I have the series on DVD, it's a great show. I might start re-watching it tonight after Justified.

SNKBYT
03-23-2010, 03:45 PM
"Separate rooms, I'll arrange that by tomorrow, but today I can't fix it, unless you kill a guest"

"Sometimes I wish we could just hit 'em over the head, rob 'em, and throw their bodies in the creek"

icehog3
03-23-2010, 04:51 PM
"Bring on the peaches".

Great pics, Kevin! :D

OLS
03-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I am not surprised the guy that plays Al Swearengen won so many awards. When you see him for the first time, he is such a scumbag,
but his ability to turn a phrase to mock and emphasize is just spectacular, and grows on you so fast. And it is hilarious that he has
one suit. I also love the gimp. She comes in the other day and tells Al she was at the doctor's seeing about her condition, to which
he sarcastically asks "what condition?" and she says.."I'm knocked up." priceless.

Like i said, keep in mind I have never seen these before.

NCRadioMan
03-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I am not surprised the guy that plays Al Swearengen won so many awards. When you see him for the first time, he is such a scumbag,
but his ability to turn a phrase to mock and emphasize is just spectacular, and grows on you so fast. And it is hilarious that he has
one suit. I also love the gimp. She comes in the other day and tells Al she was at the doctor's seeing about her condition, to which
he sarcastically asks "what condition?" and she says.."I'm knocked up." priceless.

Like i said, keep in mind I have never seen these before.

You may remember the "gimp" as Geri from Facts of Life. She was one the first actors with Cerebral Palsy to be featured on tv.

Geri Jewell

http://mrsponsorpants.typepad.com/.a/6a00e551f9630d883301156f4d4612970c-320wi

OLS
03-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Haha, the county commissioner just laid in the line of the season..."You cannot F#$% the future sir, the future F$cks You."

Volt
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm with you on on the cussing. I tried to watch several shows to see what everyone was raving about. As a professional sailor of 20 years and one who can cuss with the best of them, I found Deadwood to be nothing more than a 1 hour show of how many cuss words could the writers fit in. In fact it was so distracting I would lose the plot as some of the cussing really didn't fit the scenes. My wife liked it but I ended up writing it off as a gimiky hook to try and get viewers.

icehog3
03-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I guess to each his own, I love the whole series and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

CasaDooley
03-28-2010, 12:02 AM
I guess to each his own, I love the whole series and was disappointed when it was cancelled.

Me too. It was the only series I would remember to watch on time instead of record so we could talk about it at work the next day.
BTW, I meet Wild Bill & Calamity Jane about a year ago. They said to say F#*kin Hello!:r
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_0419KDpics0272.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk110/casadooley/2009_0419KDpics0273.jpg

icehog3
03-28-2010, 12:04 AM
Cool Kevin! :tu

Whee
03-28-2010, 12:24 AM

And it wasn't really cancelled. Milch decided it was time to move on. To John from Cincinnati.:td

OLS
03-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Quote of the evening....Calamity Jane to Mose.."She no more needs a watchman than she does a fu$%ing ballonist."

As for the cursing, I am sure it struck everyone the same. In watching the special features, it seems that there were
foul-mouthed people and regular people back then as today, and words like $hit, bltch, son of a bltch and a$$ were
plenty bad for victorian times. The reason the words in Deadwood are taken up a notch (bam) is that Milch wanted
to shock and deliver the same feeling that the previously mentioned words did in that time. Except that now the
words that were so foul THEN are common in prime time TV and in common usage in these coarser times. So the words
chosen for the Deadwood teleplay are the "shocker" words of OUR day, to deliver the proper intensity and shock effect.

Bubba - NJ
04-19-2010, 09:29 PM

F**!!ng C***S***ers ! Throw em to the hogs !

OLS
04-20-2010, 07:06 AM
And it wasn't really cancelled. Milch decided it was time to move on. To John from Cincinnati.:td
Now that I have watched three seasons all in a line over 3 weeks, I think it was ended too quick.
IT WAS ended cleanly and it made sense and I was beginning to get tired of my friend Powers Booth.
But to watch Ian McShane read that dialogue was a real treat. They wrote for him some of the
most lengthy, twisted up streams of big words, and he just hammered em. That was something
to watch, and I just loved every minute of it. He has a fan for life. And what was doubly interesting
was watching the E.B Farnum character devolve into a total nutjob. He was quirky at the start,
but he just completely went nuts by the end of the series. And HIS manner of speech was hilarious
as well. It was like he spent so much time hearing the statements of Al Swearengen that he was
trying to imitate his word usage. And he admitted to reading vocabulary improvement articles or
books. And watching him beat on his underling like an Igor was another parallel to his own
relationship with Al.