PDA

View Full Version : I need help from my brothers in the south

catfish2
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
This post probably belongs in the food section, but I’m hoping the mods will leave it here so that more people will see it to help me. I going down to Alabama in a couple weeks. My boss has asked me to pick him up some clear molasses and some caramel colored molasses. I brought up to him blackstrap and clear corn syrup. He told me that this stuff isn’t as strong as blackstrap. As far as the corn syrup goes he claims that it’s definitely molasses. I‘ve never heard of this. Has anybody in Alabama heard of these and if so would they know where I could get them. One last thing is that the clear stuff might be called light molasses.

catfish2
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I'll give this one more try then I'll let it go.

galaga
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Haven't been to down south for awhile,but I checked online and the Ala. grocery stores still seem to be Winn Dixie and Publix. My guess is that you could go into either of those stores or even a Wal Mart and find what you looking for. Just ask the cutest lady in the baking aisle to help you out. Never heard of clear molasses, but then that doesn't mean much.

longknocker
03-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Don: I've Heard Of It, But Don't Know For Sure Where To Find It. Like Was Already Suggested, Wal-Mart Or Winn-Dixie Would Be Your Best Bet. GL!:tu

captain53
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I lived most of my life in Louisiana which is pretty far south but syrups are a bit different from one area to the next. In LA this is what we use:

http://www.cajungrocer.com/condimentscan-goods-syrup-c-1_6_14.html

NCRadioMan
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know about Alabama but around here we have fruit and vegetable stands that also sell lots of local honey, molasses and other local wares. Since we're all in the South it can't be that different, can it? :D

catfish2
03-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find when I'm down there. I just might have to tell him that he's out of luck.

captain53
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys. I'll see what I can find when I'm down there. I just might have to tell him that he's out of luck.

Plain ol Karo Syrup in the bottle is light corn syrup that is used for cooking, my mother used it to make pralines with. It is sold pretty much everywhere in grocery stores.

Blackstrap is some really heavy thick stuff and super strong, I have seen it and tasted it before and was not good for much that I could think of.

Smokin Gator
03-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Blackstrap is some really heavy thick stuff and super strong, I have seen it and tasted it before and was not good for much that I could think of.

That is pure blasphemy!!!!;)

All I can say is it is good on almost everything but can't be beat on bisquits!!

catfish2
03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
That is pure blasphemy!!!!;)

All I can say is it is good on almost everything but can't be beat on bisquits!!

Sorry, but I have to agree with smokin gator. I put it on my biscuits, eggs, grits. I pretty much pour it onto everything on the plate. Come to think of it I do the same thing with hot sauce. What the hell is wrong with me.

captain53
03-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Sorry, but I have to agree with smokin gator. I put it on my biscuits, eggs, grits. I pretty much pour it onto everything on the plate. Come to think of it I do the same thing with hot sauce. What the hell is wrong with me.

I will stick with my Pure Cane Syrup, you guys can corner the Blackstrap market.

Smokin Gator
03-22-2010, 07:32 PM
I will stick with my Pure Cane Syrup, you guys can corner the Blackstrap market.

Just try this once... pour a couple inch circle of molasses on a plate. Put a 2 tablespoon piece of butter in the middle and mash it all together with a fork. Then spread it on a bisquit.:dr

If you don't like it then I will respect it.... I won't understand it... but I will respect it.

catfish2
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

It's all a matter of taste. Some people like Rocky Patel, at the same time one guy that I work with likes Backwoods smokes.

captain53
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM
Just try this once... pour a couple inch circle of molasses on a plate. Put a 2 tablespoon piece of butter in the middle and mash it all together with a fork. Then spread it on a bisquit.:dr

If you don't like it then I will respect it.... I won't understand it... but I will respect it.

Based on your Wing Recipe I will give this a try next time I am back home and can get some premium stuff.

catfish2
03-22-2010, 07:38 PM

God I forgot to mention the butter.:dr:D

RevSmoke
03-23-2010, 06:54 AM

And some put both on - at the same time. :banger

RevSmoke
03-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Personally, I don't get the blackstrap or cane syrup. Tried numerous things with them and just didn't get it. Have a number of recipes that I will use them for, but to use it on pancakes, biscuits, or some such... just doesn't trip my trigger.

I love the people down south, their hospitality is how I think people should act toward others. There is some great fishing. Thoroughly enjoy some of the food down there; bar-b-q, seafood, catfish, and spicy stuff. But, I could never live in the south.
Reasons?
1) Climate. I cannot stand temps above 72.
2) Grits - I just don't get it.

Love you guys!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Volt
03-23-2010, 08:34 AM

Reasons?

Love you guys!

Todd, What's not to like

1. Climate - my blood doesn't even start to flow good until the temps hit 80* :tu
2. Girls Raised In The South - love me some grits :D

the food version is pretty damn good as well. When I joined the Navy they served something called furina at breakfast and tried to BS me that it was the same as grits. The lieing sumbiatches -

RevSmoke
03-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Reasons?

Love you guys!

Todd, What's not to like

1. Climate - my blood doesn't even start to flow good until the temps hit 80* :tu
2. Girls Raised In The South - love me some grits :D

the food version is pretty damn good as well. When I joined the Navy they served something called furina at breakfast and tried to BS me that it was the same as grits. The lieing sumbiatches -

80? That's like....

... hell! Unless the humidity is like 20% and there's a 30 MPH breeze blowing.
I love to be outside doing stuff, and when it gets warm (and 80 is way, way, way to hot) I'd rather be in front of an air conditioner. I know, when I get older it probably won't be the same, but they've been telling me that for the last 47 years.

Besides, coolin' is producive to cuddlin'. And I likes cuddlin' with my honey.

Good grits... bad grits... they're just nasty in the mouth. There is something about the texture that is just - just - wrong (:2). You cannot eat them plain, even the good folks down south say that you have to put something on them. Sorry, if they have no flavor of their own, what's the point?

I know I'm treading holy ground here, but I'm not trying to. I know people love grits. Hey, I'm sure there are things in my life that I love that cause people to look at me strange - like cigars. ;) They just aren't my cup of tea (which is something else that I enjoy that many probably don't).

Volt
03-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Hehe, just playing around with ya. Of course I have similar thoughts about people who live where the snowfall is taller than me. Wassup with that? Heat I can handle, the cold not so much. I'm from LA and AL and the wife is from PA and NJ..... Needless to say we have some very different ideas on how some things should be done, eaten, or handled. Makes for a fun marriage

SvilleKid
03-23-2010, 05:33 PM
I've never seen clear molasses. Lived here 50+ years! Kayo corn syrup is just that, corn syrup. Real molasses should come from sugar cane. What you want for the real stuff will not only say Blackstrap, but will also be "Unsulphured". That means it was made from the squeezings of mature sugar cane. Nun-mature cane is often used as an expedient, but is treated with sulpher dioxide to bring out more sugar. If it doesn't say "unsulphered", then it is treated, from young cane.

My guess at your boss' request for clear molasses would be lighter colored molasses from the first boil. That, I've never seen. But then again, I've never gone looking for light molasses. I've always used blackstrap. Doesn't mean light brown doesn't exist, just never noticed it!

Basicallt three grades of Molasses, based on how many times it is boiled for concentration. Blackstrap is the strongest, and is from the cane juice that has been reduced three times, and is thus the strongest and the darkest. Too much Blackstrap can actually be considered bitter by many, and I use it sparingly. You should be able to find any number of brands and grades of molasses in most Alabama supermarkets. Mom and Pop stores and country stores are probably more likely to have different brands than the big name brands sold by Wally-world. Publix will be an excellent choice. They tend to be higher priced, but because they are more premium brands, they will have a better selection.

ashtonlady
03-23-2010, 06:31 PM
I was raised in Iowa, but I love grits. :) And molasses is good on biskets. I think I was born in the wrong area. :)

catfish2
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks guys and gal for your help and input. I never heard of the lighter stuff myself. I guess if I can find time between trips to the catfish pond I'll just have to run to town to see what I can find. Thanks again.

rizzle
03-24-2010, 11:41 AM
They used to make sorghum syrup around where I grew up. From what I remember it was dark as hell, similar to blackstrap. Haven't had it in years but you would pretty much buy it at farmer's markets and fruit and vegetable stands and the like. Sand Mountain Sorghum, if I remember correctly, was the last one standing. Always came in a can.