PDA

View Full Version : Droid cigar app

nayslayer
03-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I just picked up the Motorola Droid a few days ago and I'm looking for a cigar app for it. There are a few listed in the store, but wanted to know if anyone had recommendations, or knew of a good one, Thanks

BeerAdvocate
03-21-2010, 09:16 AM
CigarAssist and Ratemycigar are the best

nayslayer
03-21-2010, 09:36 AM
What's the difference between the two?

JJG
03-21-2010, 12:29 PM
I think I may pick the one that looks the best and give a review. I've been meaning to grab a cigar app for the phone.

nater
03-21-2010, 12:41 PM
I too have a droid and am looking for a good app... Let me know what you find out!

Titan410
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
I've looked at them before but never went further than that. Now if someone could make one that sync'd with a program on your laptop or the cloud I'd buy it.

systm
03-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I've looked at them before but never went further than that. Now if someone could make one that sync'd with a program on your laptop or the cloud I'd buy it.

RateMyCigar lets you back up to sdcard.
Cloud syncing is probably beyond the scope of a lot of the apps i've seen, but I bought RMC and its worth the 99c download.

Titan410
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
RateMyCigar lets you back up to sdcard.
Cloud syncing is probably beyond the scope of a lot of the apps i've seen, but I bought RMC and its worth the 99c download.

Good to know. I'd prefer to do the main input on the laptop and do minor updates, etc on the Droid. Maybe in the future someone will figure it out.

nayslayer
03-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I see four possible . Cigars by Stoked and in mi humidor, Cigar assist, and RateMyCigar

jechelman
03-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I too have a droid and am looking for a good app... Let me know what you find out!

:tpd:

cjfeola
03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
I just picked up the Motorola Droid a few days ago and I'm looking for a cigar app for it. There are a few listed in the store, but wanted to know if anyone had recommendations, or knew of a good one, Thanks

Hi guys,
I'm the developer of Stoked. I'm interested to hear what you guys like and don't like about it. It's different than most of this discussion; it already has every cigar we can find entered in the database, and we enter more every month. You shouldn't have to enter anything beyond collectibles; you just select things from the DB and add them to your virtual humidor.

It has built in social networking-add your buddies, and they'll get your ratings, comments, notifications of what you're smoking, etc.

We have more than 1,000 users on the system currently (you can't see the beta community from the market, unfortunately, but they are there once you join).

If anyone is interested in trying it out and is willing to commit to putting their feedback here, I'll hook you up with a free copy. We currently have versions for Android 1.X -- Cliq, G1, MyTouch3G, Hero, etc. -- and Android 2.X -- Droid, Nexus One. We're still working on the iPhone...Once we get that done we plan to start marketing Stoked.

cjf

Chris Feola

ps: Mods: I've been lurking here for awhile, but this is my first post or close to it. (I may have also accidentally recreated my account while trying to log in...sigh.) Anyway, if I am ignorantly violating written/unwritten forum policies/procedures/traditions, please let me know and I gladly do whatever should be done. Just saw Stoked mentioned in the thread, and am trying to be helpful...cjf

nayslayer
03-23-2010, 09:16 PM
pm cjf

colimo
04-17-2010, 10:59 AM

me too....have the "moment" from samsung for sprint...an android phone

muhren
10-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Any update on this? Just got my EVO and was looking to try something out!

M

AUguy
10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
I use Cigar Assist. It has descriptions of most NCs and I use it as a quick reference a lot. It is not perfect but it is worth the dollar or two I spent on it.

elderboy02
10-15-2010, 12:11 PM
I wonder if stoked is any good?

pektel
10-15-2010, 12:15 PM
I have a great CC cigar app, but I believe it's only for iphone.

nayslayer
10-15-2010, 09:26 PM
I recieved the stoked app for free and looked sweet and had nice interface. However, i had quite a few problems with it crashing constantly when i would try to use many of the features. I tried working with them and blew off my phone a few times, but for some reason or another it never panned out. I did find that 'RateMyCigar" was pretty good, the last few updates really made it shine. The interface is a little blah, but database is pretty good and you can export and import for backups or modify it on your own pc. Cigar obsession is pretty good app for deals and the such.

CRIMPS
10-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I just installed RateMyCigar. I have a GoogleDocs spreadsheet I have been using to keep up with my Humidor. I am going to try to import in following these directions here (http://ratemycigar.com/Import/). Im hoping for good things. I like the simple options for depleting your current stock.

Hoping for good things...

Jenady
10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Crimps,

I am looking forward to your results.

Research-Colin
10-29-2010, 05:35 PM
An Android version of MobileStogie is in development. Should be ready in a couple months.

colimo
10-29-2010, 11:23 PM
An Android version of MobileStogie is in development. Should be ready in a couple months.

hurry!!! can't wait

rizzle
11-01-2010, 08:29 AM

Cool. Keep us posted, please.

smokinpeace
11-01-2010, 08:40 AM
Very good news.

Research-Colin
11-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I will.

mtnphoto
11-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I checked out the web site and the MobileStogie app looks good.

:tdBeen using CigarAssist but don't like that I can't sort my humidor items and it does not list it alphabetically. It just throws them in there and you have to scroll down until you find what you want.

CRIMPS
11-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Check out RateMyCigar!

Overall, I am quite happy with this app. I can deplete my list easily when selecting a cigar to smoke for the night. You can Import in via CSV and entering in new cigars is painless. I did notice, though that there isn't a great search feature. Scrolling through the list is fast, though. However, I don't have thousands of cigars...

I have a physical keyboard. I would like to see the shortcuts work. So, pressing 'P' should drill down to the Cigars starting with 'P' (Padilla, etc.).

Z

CRIMPS
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Crimps,

I am looking forward to your results.

I had to do a decent amount of work to get my spreadsheet set up for being able to import in.

But, once the spreadsheet was set up... the import worked flawlessly. I ended up rooting my phone and installing a custom ROM so I had backed up my Cigar DB and ended up importing in the full list again. No problems whatsoever.
:tu

CRIMPS
11-30-2010, 07:51 PM
A few more enhancement requests for RateMyCigar (and any other Cigar App developers lurking...).

As I continue to add more cigars, I find it quite cumbersome to search for existing entries. For instance, if I receive a 5 Vegas 'A', I can scroll down through my list and replenish the stock. There are two problems with this.

First, the sort only offers you two choices. You can sort by the Cigar rating (I haven't tried half of the cigars in my humidor, therefore, many aren't rated yet) or by the Quantity. There is no sort by the Brand. Lets say I stock a hundred different cigars. I have to actually slowly scroll through the list looking for a previously entered cigar. For the majority of the users on this board, this isn't a viable option.

Second, there is no search functionality (briefly mentioned this in a previous post). If I miss this cigar while scrolling through the entire humidor, I then enter in a duplicate entry. I would prefer to simply replenish the original entry.

I would say the Sort by Brand and Search functionality is probably the most significant enhancement needed.

I will probably send this on to the Developer, but thought I would go ahead and share with others here as well.

I am interested in comparing this to MobileStogie... whenever this becomes available.

Knip23
11-30-2010, 07:57 PM
What I would like it to be is like a mobil CA, with a couple twists, You can have an inventory of your cigars on it. and You can up load Pictures to it just like face book. And PM's come to you just like a Text message. Was just seeing if anyone had any clue on how to help with the programing. If anyone is even intrested in it.

Knip.

Don Fernando
12-01-2010, 06:15 AM
there is a great 'cigar cutter' app for the droid

E.J.
06-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Bringing up an old thread, but figured that since I just got a "real phone" as Mike would put it, I may want to install a few apps.

Anything new to add to this thread anyone?

Cigahs
06-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Cigar Monster has a Droid app.

Tripple 7's
06-05-2011, 02:40 PM
When it comes to Droid cigar apps I just did my homework and it looks like it's down to Cigar Assist or Rate My Cigar. Rte My Cigar comes out on top but I'm looking for someone that has it to let me know what they think.

jsnake
06-05-2011, 09:40 PM
I need to download one so I can get organized. I have cigars everywhere.

nayslayer
06-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Rate my Cigar has really come a long way. It would be my pick. I tried Cigar Assist a long time back and didn't care for it. Not sure how it has progressed since then.

LUCY1108
06-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Cigar Monster has a Droid app.

I really like the Cigar Monster app I think it is better then their normal site. Super easy to use, order from, and is quick to load!