PDA

View Full Version : New lighter ideas needed

jmsremax
03-17-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,

I have been using Ronson jetlites for months now, but it takes awhile to adequately light the foot and my lighters seem to run out of butane quite fast. Don't get me wrong for $2.97 I can't complain, but I would like a better lighter. I was wondering if anyone uses double or triple torch. I've seen some videos of cigar reviews with people using triple torches and it takes a few seconds to get the cigar lit. Any recommendations and thoughts appreciated. :tu

Beer Doctor
03-17-2010, 02:23 PM
I used to have a really nice prometheus (>$100) that my wife got for me when I graduated. It worked well but I lost it after a night of :al

I replaced it with a cheapo torch ($5-10) and it sucked. Used it for too long. I didn't want to spend too much on a new one. My father-in-law used a Rocky Patel lighter and it worked well. I bought myself one for $30 bucks at a local B&M.

This is the lighter
http://www.rockyscigars.com/catalog.asp?prodid=523054

aich75013
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I use this one most of the time. Prometheus.
I picked it up on sale at the local B&M for $35.

I also have a Nibo Tri-Flame
and a Ronson Jetlite, but I prefer the Prometheus.

wayner123
03-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Are you wanting to stay with a Torch type lighter? And what's the price range?

Bax
03-17-2010, 02:46 PM
If you're looking for a cheap double or triple torch www.Taboocigars.com has jetlines for about 7 bucks each and they have very large tanks. So far mine light like champs! :tu

AD720
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
I've grabbed a couple of Vector lighters lately which seem pretty good. All under $20.

mithrilG60
03-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I have a JetLine triple torch that I got from Taboo as part of a sampler pack that I occassionally use if I'm lighting a monster RG. I works really well but I find that a triple is just too much overkill, it heats the foot too quickly and chars it instead of toasting. On windy days I tend to use my Colibri Vortex 2 (http://cgi.ebay.ca/COLIBRI-QUANTUM-VORTEX-CIGAR-LIGHTER-TORCH-LT-GUNMETAL_W0QQitemZ360204275589QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53ddd90f85) double torch but my daily go to lighter is an EverTorch (http://www.stogietorch.com/welcome.html). By far the best built and engineered lighter I own.

the Evertorch is only a single torch so it make not be want you're after and does take longer to toast the foot than with my Colibri or triple flame, but I love the classic feel of the lighter and the fact that it's got both torch and soft flames (I prefer soft flame for the final lighting). The fuel lasts much longer than any other lighter I own, probably because it's a single torch as opposed to a double or triple, but I've never used a Ronson so I can't compare it to the lighter the OP is moving on from. On one complaint against the Evertorch is that the torch burner is not recessed into the lighter body so it's wind resistence is a bit poor, but that's really a minor problem.

wayner123
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
If you're looking for a cheap double or triple torch www.Taboocigars.com has jetlines for about 7 bucks each and they have very large tanks. So far mine light like champs! :tu

dealextreme has those same jetline lighters for $2-$3 w/ free shipping. However they don't come with a 1 year warranty. Just sayin...

Btw, I have a jetline that has fallen on the ground, been accidentally stepped on and it still works like a champ.

CigarNut
03-17-2010, 03:10 PM
I have these Lotus lighters: Newest is the Saber:
http://www.qualityimporters.com/qualityimporters/media/products/CL-SMT_02.jpg
and I have had a T3:
http://www.qualityimporters.com/qualityimporters/media/products/CL-T3_02.jpg
for a number of years. Both are good triple fame torches and I love them. The T3 is a little to big for a pocket, but it's nice for a herf. I also have this Vector table lighter:

http://www.lightersdirect.com/images//Vector/megapump01pop.jpg

The one catch with the bigger lighters is that when the butane gets cold they can be a little harder to light. Once they warm up it's fine. The larger lighters with the larger capacity butane tanks seem to get colder easier.

ripper
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
A box of bux to Bax!
He is dead-on -- the Jetline double-torch and triple-torch cigars from Rob at Taboocigars.com are the best value. Made in Japan. I buy 'em by the dozen.

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq302/bartripp/yellow_jet_line_dual_torch_open_lig.jpg

perogee
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
but my daily go to lighter is an EverTorch (http://www.stogietorch.com/welcome.html).

the Evertorch is only a single torch so it make not be want you're after and does take longer to toast the foot than with my Colibri or triple flame, but I love the classic feel of the lighter and the fact that it's got both torch and soft flames (I prefer soft flame for the final lighting). The fuel lasts much longer than any other lighter I own, probably because it's a single torch as opposed to a double or triple, but I've never used a Ronson so I can't compare it to the lighter the OP is moving on from. On one complaint against the Evertorch is that the torch burner is not recessed into the lighter body so it's wind resistence is a bit poor, but that's really a minor problem.

you are lucky, the one that I bought has given me nothing but troubles, and I have received zero help from "customer service", personally I cannot recommend these.

NCRadioMan
03-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Are you sure you are filling the tank completely? Every Ronson I have had seems to last forever on a tank. I counted one time and I lit almost 18 cigars on one tank.

forgop
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
I got a nice lighter from a secret santa a couple of years and after having a really nice Colibri break down on me, I think the $5 gas station special is the way to go. You'll get enough use out of it that if it breaks down or you lose it, so what?

bigswol2
03-17-2010, 06:04 PM
Xikar Element is a really nice double torch for not a lot of coin!

jmsremax
03-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I am a big fan of the torch lights now that I have used the ronson. I would like to keep it $40 if possible for something decent.

kelmac07
03-17-2010, 06:29 PM

:tpd: I love mine too. :tu

Bubba - NJ
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
I understand your pain . I recently bought a couple of Ronsons and also notice it takes a while to light a cigar with them . I have a Blazer PB-207 and a Blazer Z-Plus insert for my Zippo and both light cigars quickly . There is a member here that has a site called www.cigarmony.com that he sells these and several other lighters . Mark is his name . Check his site out . Ships fast and has quality stuff .

mithrilG60
03-17-2010, 08:18 PM
you are lucky, the one that I bought has given me nothing but troubles, and I have received zero help from "customer service", personally I cannot recommend these.

What troubles have you been having with it? I bought two, one for myself and one for a buddy, via Pete's original sale thread and both have worked flawlessly from day one. Maybe send him a PM (assuming you bought from Pete) and see what he can do? That's been my only dealing with him but he's always come across as a stand up guy from his reputation here.

issues
03-17-2010, 09:24 PM

:tpd: I love mine too. :tu

I've got one as well and love it! :tu

jmsremax
03-18-2010, 07:37 AM
A box of bux to Bax!
He is dead-on -- the Jetline double-torch and triple-torch cigars from Rob at Taboocigars.com are the best value. Made in Japan. I buy 'em by the dozen.

http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq302/bartripp/yellow_jet_line_dual_torch_open_lig.jpg

What do you use to refill them? I like the look of these.

OHMatt
03-18-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't care for multi-jet torches. If you typically smoke jaw buster ring gauge cigars, I can see how they might be appealing.

My advice would be get a PB-207 or St. Dupont X-Tend if you are looking for an improvement to $3.00 Ronson lighters. Ronson lighters are tough and reliable. In my opinion, most $20 - $50 lighters are much more problematic.. The mid-priced lighters (between the cheapest and the top of the line) are the ones I suggest you avoid. They typically have the internals/mechanisms of the cheapies but have a fancy enclosure.

There is a lot of merit to sub >$5 lighters from DealExtreme and Ronson. You can put extra lighters in your briefcase, car door, glove box, cigar caddy, etc, etc, just in case you forget the other or run out of fuel. I bought a bunch of these from DX, and all of them have performed well for 3 years now. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1456

NCRadioMan
03-18-2010, 07:56 AM
What do you use to refill them? I like the look of these.

Butane. Send me your addy and I'll send you one. I have several.

TripleF
03-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Zippo case with a Z-Plus Insert!! :dance:

replicant_argent
03-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Robert and I have discussed this via pm and I would guess that it is a fuel quality or purge issue, and have asked him about this. While I have had very good performance with good fuels, it is possible that it has a purge problem or some poor fuel. He has not responded since my 2/5 inquiry of what type of fuel he has used and if he went through a purge process link I sent him.
http://www.articlesbase.com/hobbies-articles/how-to-bleed-your-cigar-lighter-1321334.html
Robert also has a issue with being in Canada and the shipping with the mfr. I think. This is something I can't change, and really didn't foresee as far as warranty coverage, but have offered a suggestion to Robert to have a US based BOTL help him out.
The warranty on the Ever Torches has been reduced to 2 years rather than lifetime, unfortunately, but that is still a hell of a lot better than 90 days or none. I still sell them, and think they are a quality product, and have had very good reports of the companies customer service from the few BOTLs that have had an issue.

KenyanSandBoa
03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I don't care for multi-jet torches. If you typically smoke jaw buster ring gauge cigars, I can see how they might be appealing.

I can see that...I have a Colibri tripple torch that I use for my large ring gage cigars and a Blazer for my smaller gage cigars. I also tend to use either my Ronson or my Blazer for touch ups because I've destroyed a cigar before by attempting to touch it up with the tripple.

Just my :2

replicant_argent
03-18-2010, 09:13 AM
Robert has let me know he found out what was up with his torch. "I took it apart and fixed it myself (one of the parts was not shaped right, so it did not operate the valve correctly)."
and
"it was sliding around a little, so it would engage the valve differently everytime it was operated"
Glad to know you solved the issue. Thanks to (tx)Ohiomatt and his posts on lighters, they are fairly simple devices to tweak when you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

jmsremax
03-18-2010, 09:31 AM

My advice would be get a PB-207 or St. Dupont X-Tend if you are looking for an improvement to $3.00 Ronson lighters. Ronson lighters are tough and reliable. In my opinion, most $20 - $50 lighters are much more problematic.. The mid-priced lighters (between the cheapest and the top of the line) are the ones I suggest you avoid. They typically have the internals/mechanisms of the cheapies but have a fancy enclosure.

There is a lot of merit to sub >$5 lighters from DealExtreme and Ronson. You can put extra lighters in your briefcase, car door, glove box, cigar caddy, etc, etc, just in case you forget the other or run out of fuel. I bought a bunch of these from DX, and all of them have performed well for 3 years now. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1456

Thanks for the advice and I will look at the ones you mentioned. I typically go for robustos so it can take a while to light one up (the correct way).

Katmancross
01-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Hey Guys/Gals,

I have been using Ronson jetlites for months now, but it takes awhile to adequately light the foot and my lighters seem to run out of butane quite fast. Don't get me wrong for $2.97 I can't complain, but I would like a better lighter. I was wondering if anyone uses double or triple torch. I've seen some videos of cigar reviews with people using triple torches and it takes a few seconds to get the cigar lit. Any recommendations and thoughts appreciated. :tu

I've had a Blazer for 3 months. I'm a sworn fan. The fuel tank is so huge or the mechanism that uses the fuel is so efficient that I have yet had the need to put more fuel in it. This week, I attempted to fill it thinking it had to be low, and it only allowed 3 seconds before it was done.
It lights every time, first time.
This is a winner and worth the $50.

Bayou Tiger
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I have some kind of Xixar double flame that a buddy gave me. I really like this lighter, especially for lighting smokes outside. I just have to be careful to not scorch the wrapper when I use it ;)

jjirons69
01-19-2011, 10:02 AM
For some reason every pricey lighter I've ever owned won't light consistently, gets lost, or is too bulky. I've stuck with Ronsons for some time now as I can't seem to lose them, they always light, and they're the perfect size to carry around.

yourchoice
01-19-2011, 10:24 AM
For some reason every pricey lighter I've ever owned won't light consistently, gets lost, or is too bulky. I've stuck with Ronsons for some time now as I can't seem to lose them, they always light, and they're the perfect size to carry around.

:tpd:

It's crazy that a $4 lighter is more dependable than it's $35-40 counterpart.

jjirons69
01-19-2011, 10:37 AM
:tpd:

It's crazy that a $4 lighter is more dependable than it's $35-40 counterpart.

And I use $2.98 Ronson fuel in all of them.