PDA

View Full Version : Those of you that own Hot Tubs

Razorhog
03-15-2010, 07:02 PM
The wife and I have been wanting a hot tub for a long time. We poured a concrete slab next to the deck, and had an electrician wire up a 220 circuit. That was 3 years ago...we were trying to get pregnant at the time and the doctor said a hot tub was a no-no. She is now pregnant with twins and will deliver within the next few weeks. So a hot tub might be back in the plans in the not too distant future. (although with twin boys it might be a while) :)
I don't see us having many hot tub parties, so a 4 person should be fine.

So, for those of you that own hot tubs - I'd like some feedback. What brand do you have, dos and don'ts, how often do you use the special features (and are fancy options even worth it) etc. Thanks!

jmsremax
03-15-2010, 07:08 PM
My folks have a Thermospa and it is amazing. The tub has a 100 or so jets I believe. Don't been fooled with cheesy tubs that have 8-10 jets a seat and make sure the tub is insulated with insulation and not just foam or else you will never be able to do a repair. I can recall a neighbor coming over one night informing us that their hot tub sprung a leak and they couldn't fix it because the company they bought from used spray foam to insulate the tub. They called the company and the service guy had to chisel through the foam to fix the problem and then re-foamed the thing.

I am a big fan of benches (loungers) built into a hot tub. It's my favorite spot because I can lay across it. Good luck with the purchase. And as far as scents go....I was a fan of euctolyptus (sp) when sick. One other thing I don't recommend.....building a hot tub into the deck unless there is easy access to the mechanics of the hot tub.

Razorhog
03-15-2010, 07:30 PM
My folks have a Thermospa and it is amazing. The tub has a 100 or so jets I believe. Don't been fooled with cheesy tubs that have 8-10 jets a seat and make sure the tub is insulated with insulation and not just foam or else you will never be able to do a repair. I can recall a neighbor coming over one night informing us that their hot tub sprung a leak and they couldn't fix it because the company they bought from used spray foam to insulate the tub. They called the company and the service guy had to chisel through the foam to fix the problem and then re-foamed the thing.

I am a big fan of benches (loungers) built into a hot tub. It's my favorite spot because I can lay across it. Good luck with the purchase. And as far as scents go....I was a fan of euctolyptus (sp) when sick. One other thing I don't recommend.....building a hot tub into the deck unless there is easy access to the mechanics of the hot tub.

Thanks for the info. I've never heard of thermospa. Excellent info about the foam insulation, didn't think about that. I think a tub with a lounger for the wife and a chair for me would be best. Probably easier to keep a stogie dry while sitting in a chair :ss

floydpink
03-15-2010, 07:47 PM
I have a Jacuzzi and researched extensively before buying.

If it isn't jacuzzi, Hotsprings is the only other one I would buy.

Mine is a 4 seater with lounger and pop up stereo speakers and lighted waterfall, so it's pretty nice and sits on my patio and is used a few times a week.

I'll take a pic later.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc266/rastapete69/jaccuzzi.jpg

floydpink
03-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Forgot to mention, if you get a chiropractor or doctor to write "spa medically necessary", it is a tax deduction as well as the maintainance.

I hate chlorine and use bromine and the maintainance is pretty easy once you get into the routine.

The reason I wouldn't buy one of the other brands is because the jets are lame as well as the insulation and overall construction.

Again, get a Jacuzzi or Hotspring if you are gonna do it.

There is a web forum dedicated to info on buying a spa and if you google, "what's the best hottub", you should find it.

I spent a good amount of time on there before buying my Jacuzzi but haven't been back in years.

100 Jets? that is a bit surprising as my "therapy seat" has 14 and I am not aware of more than 20 or so per seat max.

Hotspring has a patented rolling massage jet that is really nice, but I have to brace myself in my therapy seat not to get blown out.

There are few better things than putting a good CD in the stereo, putting on the lights and looking up at the cigars in the spa with a good cigar.

I'll be doing just that in a few minutes.

Be very careful shopping as every salesman will naturally tell you their brand is the best but stuff like ABS or marine pressure treated wood base and internal plumbing aren't stuff you will know about until your base rots out.

Do what you want, save money if you want, but trust me when I say, Jacuzzi or Hotsprings are the cream of the crop in spas.

Razorhog
03-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Forgot to mention, if you get a chiropractor or doctor to write "spa medically necessary", it is a tax deduction as well as the maintainance.

I hate chlorine and use bromine and the maintainance is pretty easy once you get into the routine.

The reason I wouldn't buy one of the other brands is because the jets are lame as well as the insulation and overall construction.

Again, get a Jacuzzi or Hotspring if you are gonna do it.

There is a web forum dedicated to info on buying a spa and if you google, "what's the best hottub", you should find it.

I spent a good amount of time on there before buying my Jacuzzi but haven't been back in years.

Thanks for the info, it looks nice! I actually know the Jacuzzi family - although they sold the business long ago, it is still a top notch brand.

floydpink
03-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info, it looks nice! I actually know the Jacuzzi family - although they sold the business long ago, it is still a top notch brand.

Jacuzzi is to spas what Cleanex is to tissue.

Forgot to mention, a lot of spa companies will try to sell you on an ozonator, which they claim will make you NOT need bromine or dichlor.

Complete horseshit.

Dichlor is good for pools, but bromine works better in hot water.

Get a good test kit, test your water weekly, shock weekly, and most pool stores will do free water tests when you buy your chemicals there.

Hot water is a perfect environment for a lot of nasty stuff, so you need to keep a weekly schedule to check it.

The water only needs to be drained and refilled every 3-4 months or after a party and a good hosing of the filters every month is fine.

I bought a spare set of filters and soak a set every couple months in a good cleaner. The dishwasher without detergent works like a charm as well.

A very good cover lifter is one of the most important accessories you will buy and will determine if opening the spa is a breeze or a pain in the ass. Covermate is the brand I have had for 6 years, although the sun has eaten one cover already.

Clean the cover and spay 303 Aerospace protectant on the cover and it will last you many years. NEVER use Armor All or harsh chemicals on the cover.

ALWAYS demand a wet soak in the spa before buying. If they won't fill a spa for you to try or have one filled in the showroom, walk away.

I'm going for a soak now.......

BigAsh
03-15-2010, 08:08 PM
We have a jacuzzi as well....7-8 years old, moved it from one house to the new one....love it and has served us well...8 seater, there is ALWAYS more hot tub parties than expected....it has an ozonator which helps with sanitizing the water......I use Natur2, a mineral based sanitizer that you change every 4 months with a weekly non-chlorine shock treatment...use it year round though the winter is my favorite....the kids like it in the summer, jumping from the pool to the hot tub, back to the pool, etc. etc.....nice to sit and relax with a "shorty"

floydpink
03-15-2010, 08:13 PM
An ozonator fan. There ya go. I have one but have never seen it do a whole lot but make bubbles.

I have heard great things about Nature2 and probably should try it. I always feel a little itchy from the chemicals although I try to keep them low to avoid taking too many chemical baths.

One of my first Jacuzzi experiences was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. We were renting a house with one on the patio and kept a keg in the snow drifts and spent many night drinking and jumping from the spa into the snowdrifts, then back in the spa, which couldn't have been good for our bodies.

I knew I had to have one after that week.

I have a lot of friends with pools who hardly use them but have always used my spa.

jmsremax
03-15-2010, 08:19 PM

I 100 Jets? that is a bit surprising as my "therapy seat" has 14 and I am not aware of more than 20 or so per seat max.

I guessed 100 but have a look for yourself. Their site says the tub can have 10 to 118 jets built into the Park Ave which is the exact one my folks have.

http://www.thermospas.com/hot-tubs/five-person-hot-tubs.html

mosesbotbol
03-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm going for a soak now.......

Bastard.

I love hot tubs, when it's snowing at night it is just sublime. I live in a 4 unit building, 2 of us want one, the other 2 not so much. Not sure how we are going to finagle it.

Had some "good times" in hot tub, but I'll leave it at that. :tu

floydpink
03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
I guessed 100 but have a look for yourself. Their site says the tub can have 10 to 118 jets (you can customize it). This is the exact tub my folks have (The Park Ave).

http://www.thermospas.com/hot-tubs/five-person-hot-tubs.html

That certainly is a lot of jets.

My only question would be how many pumps and the power of the jets?

One pump pushing through all those jets would be quite a load.

Think of the jets as holes in a straw and you'll get the idea.

Is a lot of the power lost through so many jets?

If you're happy with the spa, that is the deciding factor. Personally, my back is trashed and very strong jets were a must and no other spa came close to the Jacuzzi and I tested nearly a dozen. If you are looking for a relaxing hottub, strong jets are not so important.

Jacuzzi uses 2 pumps with one dedicated exclusively to the therapy seat and to my knowlege, is the only company that does so.

I better get out of this thread now as my bias and stubborness is starting to show.

Shop around bro and make sure you take a soak before buying.

jmsremax
03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
That certainly is a lot of jets.

My only question would be how many pumps and the power of the jets?

Think of the jets as holes in a straw and you'll get the idea.

Is a lot of the power lost through so many jets?

Jacuzzi uses 2 pumps with one dedicated exclusively to the therapy seat and to my knowlege, is the only company that does so.

I better get out of this thread now as my bias and stubborness is starting to show.

Shop around bro and make sure you take a soak before buying.

No idea how many pumps are on it or any of the technical stuff but I would imagine the site has the info. About the power....my dad built the hot tub it's own circuit panel. For the record he is an electrician so I have no clue whether or not this was needed. Their backyard has more lights and speakers than a U2 concert.

After looking at the picture of the lounger....my folks must have added more jets because they have at least 4 jets on the lounger (the pic only shows one jet at the other end). Enjoy the soak....that is the one thing I really do miss about my folks place and is the first thing I do when I go there.

Razorhog
03-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Very helpful, I bet I can talk my doctor into write a note :tu

BC-Axeman
03-15-2010, 08:58 PM
It doesn't snow here but rarely, but one time when it did, I was in the hot tub. :tu
Ozonators do work but need to be supplemented with bromine.
I'm looking to replace my hot tub now. There are free ones all the time on CL. Even with free gazebos. I can fix almost anything so I'm not worried about that. As long as it's structurally sound.

mosesbotbol
03-16-2010, 04:39 AM
There are free ones all the time on CL. Even with free gazebos.

That's the route we may take.

14holestogie
03-16-2010, 04:48 AM
We bought a Down East MasterSpa a couple years back. 7 person, 4 pumps, maybe 50 jets, all adjustable for flow rate and direction.

I'm in agreement with floydpink, get something that's gonna "move" you.
All vinyl skirting, easy access to everything. :tu

floydpink
03-16-2010, 09:52 AM
We bought a Down East MasterSpa a couple years back. 7 person, 4 pumps, maybe 50 jets, all adjustable for flow rate and direction.

I'm in agreement with floydpink, get something that's gonna "move" you.
All vinyl skirting, easy access to everything. :tu

oops, I take back my earlier statement about only buying Jacuzzi or Hotspring.

Masterspa makes some awesome spas, and you could throw in Marquis to the mix as top manufacturers.

Masterspa had a dealer near me that went out of business a couple years ago and I stopped in with a friend who ended up getting a great deal on one.

All the fancy LED lighting and fancy grab rails look cool, as well as waterfalls, but count on them breaking within a couple years.

Also, make sure the spa is well sealed with no access through the skirting. I have read stories of guys opening them up and finding snakes and rodents living inside and plumbing destroyed by rodents. I sealed mine up as cottonmouths are common in my neck of the woods.