PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone order an iPad yet?

shilala
03-13-2010, 02:58 PM
I just ordered a 16gb without 3G. If it works out, I'll get the 3G later.
I ordered the case, too. It appears the case won't ship till mid-April. The iPad is supposed to ship April 3rd.
Anyone else order theirs yet?

cort
03-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Nope. I love myself some Apple but I am gonna wait on the pad until I see some reviews I trust.

What do you plan on using it for Scott? I am curious like a cat;)

mmblz
03-13-2010, 03:17 PM
if i had the $$ i would use it for bumming around the house web browsing...
not sure i would do much else with it but that might be enough...

shilala
03-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Nope. I love myself some Apple but I am gonna wait on the pad until I see some reviews I trust.

What do you plan on using it for Scott? I am curious like a cat;)
Just for surfing and streaming and stuff, Gare. Nothing much. It'll be nice to read on and stuff, too.

cort
03-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Just for surfing and streaming and stuff, Gare. Nothing much. It'll be nice to read on and stuff, too.

Cool. I want one now:D

But seriously once you get it, d!ck around with it a bit and let me know what you think.

mariogolbee
03-13-2010, 03:25 PM
I've always wanted something just like this for online text books. I'll be looking into one in the future. Wish I had the cash now but I don't.

JE3146
03-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Nope. Don't see the use of it.

jaymz
03-13-2010, 04:35 PM
ordered one for testing at work

doctorcue
03-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Once I get a job offer I will order. I'm thinking the 32gb w/o 3G model.

G G
03-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Nope and aint going to. Have an iphone and am happy with it.

Mugen910
03-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Nope. Don't see the use of it.

:tpd:

A few gens from now it'll may be worth tinkering with...but 1st gen..nah..

ucla695
03-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm intrigued by the iPad, but knowing Apple, I expect a price cut sometime in the summer. I look forward to user feedback.

ChicagoWhiteSox
03-13-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't use Apple products for many reasons, but I did buy some Apple stock at $190 a share a little while ago;)

dunng
03-13-2010, 07:35 PM
A giant iPhone? I'll pass for now...

http://syntheticrhyme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/funny-apple-ipad1.jpg

MiamiE
03-13-2010, 07:48 PM
My iPhone is good enough.

Jack Straw
03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I was going to, but my girlfriend says she prefers tampons.

jaydub13
03-13-2010, 08:06 PM
A giant iPhone? I'll pass for now...

http://syntheticrhyme.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/funny-apple-ipad1.jpg

+1, I already HAVE an iPhone with 3G, and mine fits in my pocket!

baldanders
03-13-2010, 08:14 PM
No flash when most sites have some sort of flash on them? What was he thinking?

junkinduck
03-13-2010, 09:08 PM
not untill they get flash, an SD card slot for viewing pictures and such, and enough power to rival the 300.00 net book or the all out 500.00 lap top. why pay so much for the limited use. I will keep the iPhone though, great toy but seems to want to crash back to the home page when using it heavy.
I did pick up a mess of the stock at 80.00 when the market crashed. Pretty happy with that.

colinb913
03-13-2010, 09:10 PM
Nope, I am getting the Archos 9 instead.. Much better reviews then the iPad. Though I do love me some apple!

T.G
03-13-2010, 09:21 PM
iDidn't

Aron
03-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Neither did I. iM not entirely sold on it. Especially having a perfectly functional iPhone as it is!

St. Lou Stu
03-14-2010, 04:49 PM
iDidn't

:r nice review

sikk50
03-14-2010, 06:40 PM
I don't really want one since I have an Iphone, but I must say, if you could lay one of those into a dashboard to replace all the dashboard controls of your vehicle it would be a slick deal.

Shoot, I better patten that idea...who knows how to set this up so I can take the credit??

LasciviousXXX
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM
As an Apple fan... I did not.

I might pick one up for my wife when they add a camera for video conferencing and offer multi-tasking. I mean seriously? No Pandora while working on something else or browsing? Short sighted IMO

mosesbotbol
03-16-2010, 12:20 PM
As an Apple fan... I did not.

No Pandora while working on something else or browsing? Short sighted IMO

Not really, it's part of the their life cycle. Can't give the consumer what they want right off the bat. They can do it already, but giving out a little feature here and there over a few years will keep the public's interest.

They do the same with cars. The same reason a the super-sportscar model doesn't come out after the first year a new model is introduced.

Apple has had people drinking the Kool Aide with a nice case and monitor for years. Proprietary? No, that is a feature. :td

shilala
03-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I just want this thing so I'll never have to touch a laptop again.
It's definately going to fall short, but so long as I can surf and check my email without a wobbly red hot laptop on me, I'm good.
Hopefully the next gen will address issues. I'll buy that one, too. :D

Razorhog
03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
I want one that runs OS X - then I'll buy. :2

ScottishSmoker
03-16-2010, 10:09 PM
After seeing only one review of it I trust, and because I think Steve Jobs is comparable to Pol Pot...I doubt I will buy one...EVER....here is the video review I tend to side with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8w9buktnVE

JE3146
03-16-2010, 10:19 PM
After seeing only one review of it I trust, and because I think Steve Jobs is comparable to Pol Pot...I doubt I will buy one...EVER....here is the video review I tend to side with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8w9buktnVE

Huh... lacks in durability I see... :r

kelmac07
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Scott...that man with the gadgets. My wife wants one of these real bad.

ScottishSmoker
03-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Huh... lacks in durability I see... :r

Durability is very important...so they tell me...like with the lifespan of my BlackBerry...that's had 0 issues...or my Dell...which has had 0 issues that can't be resolved without just restarting my computer....

JE3146
03-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Durability is very important...so they tell me...like with the lifespan of my BlackBerry...that's had 0 issues...or my Dell...which has had 0 issues that can't be resolved without just restarting my computer....

That might all change if your 'issue' is a 5 iron :r

chubby
03-17-2010, 06:49 AM
My boss just ordered some of the 32Gb models for us to test with. It will interesting to see how they work out.

RightAJ
03-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Tosh.0 did a nice review of it:

http://www.comedycentral.com/tosh.0/2010/02/09/daniel-tosh-destroys-an-ipad/

aj

JE3146
03-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Tosh.0 did a nice review of it:

http://www.comedycentral.com/tosh.0/2010/02/09/daniel-tosh-destroys-an-ipad/

aj

Little late to the party on that one.

jaymz
03-17-2010, 05:39 PM
I used to own a tc1100 ...

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012010/ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg

shilala
03-31-2010, 05:29 AM
Got an email yesterday. My iPad shipped from Shenzhen China via UPS. They didn't ship my slipcover thingie with it. Go figure, right?
When I looked yesterday, I thought it was coming from Connecticut. I tracked it awhile ago and finally realized it's coming from China. It might never get here. Grrr.

CigarNut
03-31-2010, 08:53 AM
OK Scott -- you need to focus, take some deep breaths, have a cigar, relax -- you can't have withdrawals before it even arrives :D

shilala
03-31-2010, 11:44 AM
OK Scott -- you need to focus, take some deep breaths, have a cigar, relax -- you can't have withdrawals before it even arrives :D
I'm all stressed cause I won't be home this weekend. I don't think it's supposed to be here till the 3rd, though. I can see why now. :)

tedrodgerscpa
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
Netbook FTW!

But then again, I really don't like virtual keyboards.

JE3146
03-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Got an email yesterday. My iPad shipped from Shenzhen China via UPS. They didn't ship my slipcover thingie with it. Go figure, right?
When I looked yesterday, I thought it was coming from Connecticut. I tracked it awhile ago and finally realized it's coming from China. It might never get here. Grrr.

My macbook pro shipped from china and arrived to west coast US in less than 3 days. It shipped Fed Ex though.

DBall
03-31-2010, 06:32 PM
I have not, but I have not gotten my iPeriod yet, either... :r

0002S
03-31-2010, 06:40 PM
iWait until they lower the price and add more gig after all the iFirstAdopters jump on board

T.G
03-31-2010, 08:22 PM
iStillHaven't

shilala
04-01-2010, 09:46 AM
My pad is still in China. It only took two days for the billing info to go through.
It's killing me.

King James
04-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I used to own a tc1100 ...

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012010/ipad_vs_hp_tc_1100.jpg

haha I love these :rolleyes:

Usually I'll try to point out the errors and things these leave out.... but for now I will just say, you can use USB on it and it does have a headphone jack

edit: and Scott, I don't think pre-ordered ones come in until the 3rd from what I read

shilala
04-02-2010, 11:18 AM
Activity:
04/01/2010 * 9:13 PM
ANCHORAGE, AK, US

It's only a couple thousand miles away now. :tu

CigarNut
04-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Scott, I can tell by the way you typed your message that you have the shakes pretty bad... You really need to do something about those withdrawal symptoms :)

Cyclone
04-02-2010, 01:25 PM
iWait until they lower the price and add more gig after all the iFirstAdopters jump on board

iFirstAdopters -->> iLemmings :D:D:D

Prospector
04-02-2010, 01:42 PM
PC Mag just ran a review for anyone interested:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362042,00.asp

thebayratt
04-02-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't even have and IPod let alone an Iphone or an IPad.

I can't see myself in that much to use the internet or read a book when I'm "on the go". I can't use it at work, I'd get fired, internet/cell phone usage on the clock is NSFW. I have a basic cell phone with a camera, Mp3 player, and a full color screen; no internet,GPS, level, Apps etc.... I call it "my dumb phone".
I myself am a simple guy. I already pay $50 a month for internet at my house, so I can't see paying any more to use it outside my home (on an IPad or cell).

I am not knocking any of the "I" devices, they are just not my cup of tea,
Got better things to spend my money on like cheap wemen and expensive alcohaul (or is it the other way around ¿)

shilala
04-03-2010, 12:42 PM
The iPad arrived at my house today, but I'm in Ohio.
Sofaman (Scott) was good enough to run down to my house and get it off the porch and put it away.
Can't wait to play with it tomorrow. I'm most excited to watch ball games on it, I just got a subscription to MLB.com. I'll try to do a review wheni figure out if it sucks or not. I don't have any expectations to mention, aside from seeing how well it handles streamed media, beit from the intersne or from my network.

0002S
04-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Got one today at store for wife. Putting it throught its passes now. MLB TV is much better than on the phone.

In short, this is really more about how it does it rather than what it does. It's a game changer and is only going to get better over time.

King James
04-04-2010, 10:29 AM
The dictionary implemented within the iBook app is amazing. I could see it being really helpful, especially for scholarly reading for school but even for just any book. I know I'm often hesitant to go grab a dictionary for words I don't know, especially when you can sometimes get by with using context clues, but having the dictionary automatically find the word right there for you is great.

here is a fairly extensive review (http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-ipad-review) of the iPad with a video in the middle

Darrell
04-04-2010, 10:32 AM
The iPad arrived at my house today, but I'm in Ohio.
Sofaman (Scott) was good enough to run down to my house and get it off the porch and put it away.
Can't wait to play with it tomorrow. I'm most excited to watch ball games on it, I just got a subscription to MLB.com. I'll try to do a review wheni figure out if it sucks or not. I don't have any expectations to mention, aside from seeing how well it handles streamed media, beit from the intersne or from my network.

It handles streamed data like a BOSS!

My buddy is one of the graphics developers for the project and he brought the 64GB version in on Friday to let me play with it. I watched Netflix on it and it was awesome.

I probably would not buy one, just because I don't need it, but it's pretty rad.

shilala
04-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I haven't put my iPad down since I got it. I could not possibly be more pleased.
I've used it mostly for surfing and streaming video, but I'm leaning more on it for working every day.
It is the most comfortable and pleasurable web appliance I've ever experienced, and I've really not begun to use it in a fashion it's capable of.
I'm looking forward to reading some books that I've put off forever. The ibooks interface is incredible.
I really wish you guys could all take it for a spin, just for the cool factor. It's fun. :tu

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Thank you iPad. AAPL as of today closed just under $240/share. :D

shilala
04-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Thank you iPad. AAPL as of today closed just under $240/share. :D
Sell!!! :)

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Sell!!! :)

depends...

I'll leave it at that.

shilala
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
depends...

I'll leave it at that.
I'm not buying any more ipads for at least a couple months, if that helps. ;)

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm not buying any more ipads for at least a couple months, if that helps. ;)

:r:r

Do you have an iPhone too Scott?

Blueface
04-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Got to see one last night in person.
Neat toy.

shilala
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
:r:r

Do you have an iPhone too Scott?
I've paid for four in the last six months. I'm thinking I should get a cut. :)

shilala
04-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Got to see one last night in person.
Neat toy.
My buddy was playing with this one today, and all he could really muster was a "wow." He's a hardcore tech fanboi, and I was pretty set back that he was so impressed. He thinks my iphone is the second coming, so I suppose I shouldn't have been too surprised. :)

AD720
04-06-2010, 07:46 PM
So this might sound weird, and no offense to you old guys ;s :), but what do you all think my grandfather would think of one of these?

He has a WebTV and uses it a lot but I'm wondering how much he really gets out it. Every time I am visit and have my laptop he asks where he can get one. I think a full blown laptop could be too much for him to deal with...but for light web browsing and looking at pictures this might be perfect for him. Thoughts?

shilala
04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
So this might sound weird, and no offense to you old guys ;s :), but what do you all think my grandfather would think of one of these?

He has a WebTV and uses it a lot but I'm wondering how much he really gets out it. Every time I am visit and have my laptop he asks where he can get one. I think a full blown laptop could be too much for him to deal with...but for light web browsing and looking at pictures this might be perfect for him. Thoughts?
Gather one up and drop it in his lap, Andrew. If he likes it, let him keep it. If not, you'll find someone who can use it.
My dexterity is crap, but my eyesight is good. It's still easy for me to use.
He'd have to have internet access and a wireless router to serve the ipad. I didn't even know web tv still existed, but a dialup connection wont get it. It needs broadband. If web tv is broadband now, just ignore the last part. :)

St. Lou Stu
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
We got two at work to test app development on.

Not impressed. Once they add USB, SDcard, and some flash capabilities it'll be mucho mejor.

AD720
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Gather one up and drop it in his lap, Andrew. If he likes it, let him keep it. If not, you'll find someone who can use it.
My dexterity is crap, but my eyesight is good. It's still easy for me to use.
He'd have to have internet access and a wireless router to serve the ipad. I didn't even know web tv still existed, but a dialup connection wont get it. It needs broadband. If web tv is broadband now, just ignore the last part. :)

Yea that's what I should do. If he doesn't like it I will keep it. :D

He would have no problem getting high speed hooked up and I'll grab a linksys off craigslist. They already have cable TV and pay something like $20 a month for the WebTv.

JE3146
04-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Played with one at the college bookstore the other day while I was buying texts. Honestly, I couldn't get over the incredible amount of glare off of the screen. Absolutely useless without a matte screen. Gloss was a horrid choice for this device. Other than that it behaves like you would expect.

macpappy
04-07-2010, 05:30 AM
I've been a Mac user since 1986. I have a 30GB Ipod Classic (the one with video). I generally love everything Apple sales but...

When I decided to get a smartphone I looked at the Iphones and decided to buy a Blackberry. For one thing I find most of the apps pretty much unnecessary in my daily life and I really don't want to be told "you have to use AT&T."

As for the Ipad, I really can't see spending the money for one in its currentl configuration. It's nothing more than a bigger version of the Ipod Touch. Now if it ran OSX, had a camera, built in microphone, etc., then I would consider it but until then I'll use my Macbook Pro or my G5 to do my computing.

Beagleone
04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
I bought one on Monday. Like it and haven't had any issues with it. I might consider returning it for the 3G, but probably will keep it. I can use it for various work functions as well as for my personal entertainment, so it is worth the expense IMHO. Reading books and PDFs are what I would use it mostly, but the checking emails is nice too.

Funny thing yesterday: one of my brokers came to take me to lunch and was ready to give me an extra IPad he bought as a thanks for all of the business. I had to decline, more since I already bought my own, but allowed him to give it to my assistant. She was more than thrilled!!! Hopefully she won't ask for a raise this year.

King James
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
I bought one on Monday. Like it and haven't had any issues with it. I might consider returning it for the 3G, but probably will keep it. I can use it for various work functions as well as for my personal entertainment, so it is worth the expense IMHO. Reading books and PDFs are what I would use it mostly, but the checking emails is nice too.

Funny thing yesterday: one of my brokers came to take me to lunch and was ready to give me an extra IPad he bought as a thanks for all of the business. I had to decline, more since I already bought my own, but allowed him to give it to my assistant. She was more than thrilled!!! Hopefully she won't ask for a raise this year.

Nice, Tony! Not a bad gift at all

St. Lou Stu
04-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah, but will it blend?

http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=ipad

shilala
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Yeah, but will it blend?

http://www.blendtec.com/willitblend/videos.aspx?type=unsafe&video=ipad
I want that blender. That thing is exceptionally badass.

elderboy02
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Wow, it doesn't have USB support :(

I hate Apple.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I hate Apple.

:r

JE3146
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM

I hate Apple.

Oh but there are adapters you can buy to get 1 USB port :r

The most useful thing I found this device capable of, it can't do due to lack of an SD slot.

Photo preview for professional photographers AT events.

King James
04-07-2010, 03:01 PM

I hate Apple.

sigh, yes it does.

Jordan, could show @ events with this (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTc0Mjc1NDE)

JE3146
04-07-2010, 03:07 PM
sigh, yes it does.

Jordan, could show @ events with this (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTc0Mjc1NDE)

RAW support?

I shoot compact flash anyway, but my next body will migrate me to SD.

Either way, it's a stupid solution. Glad it was at least an afterthought. Can always hope for the next revision.

King James
04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
RAW support?

I shoot compact flash anyway, but my next body will migrate me to SD.

Either way, it's a stupid solution. Glad it was at least an afterthought. Can always hope for the next revision.

I shoot CF as well, I'm sure something will be out for that before long that iPad users can drop another $40 on :tu

realistically though it would not be practical for them to stick an SD or especially a CF slot onto that thing. If it is capable of it with some sort of cable or connection, though, that isn't so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen one has a camera and mic and maybe even 1 USB slot

JE3146
04-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I shoot CF as well, I'm sure something will be out for that before long that iPad users can drop another $40 on :tu

realistically though it would not be practical for them to stick an SD or especially a CF slot onto that thing. If it is capable of it with some sort of cable or connection, though, that isn't so bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next gen one has a camera and mic and maybe even 1 USB slot

Even a USB port that could attach a memory card reader would be a perfect solution.

Just 1 USB port..... just one...... :r

;)

mithrilG60
04-07-2010, 03:29 PM
iFirstAdopters -->> iLemmings :D:D:D

Bingo, history teaches us to always wait for at least the first revision before buying new tech (not just from Apple, from all manufacturers)! Dan Williamson was just in the office, at your old desk actually, showing his to a bunch of us. Nice unit, significantly heavier than I expected it to be (especially compared to a Kindle). Basically is it just a touch that's been run through the Xerox on 500% enlarge. Internet and pictures are much more viewable than on either the iPhone or iTouch but it's going to be interesting to see if the iPad wins mass market appeal or only really manages to achieve Apple fanboi penetration like all of Apple's products that don't start with "iP".

shilala
04-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Even a USB port that could attach a memory card reader would be a perfect solution.

;)
I'd take 5 to 1 it never happens. That'd put the ipad in competition with the macbook. It'd be borderline retarded to make a niche product that competes with your main lineup.
I agree it'd be awesome if this thing would tie into my photography, but even if it would preview pics, it's not an editing solution. It'd be kinda pointless. That's where a laptop comes in, which is what I've been using for 10 years.
After reading and reading and reading, it's pretty clear everyone kinda thought like I did about the ipad. I was thinking laptop in tablet form.
That's not what apple did. They made an ipod touch in tablet form.
If someone likes iphone or ipod touch, ipad is a no brainer. Pretty much a must have. If not, it's hard to imagine what a person would do with it.
I surf and watch media. Anywhere.
Since Monday I've watched 9 ballgames on the ipad and three or four movies, and wasted tons of time working on my fantasy ball team and surfed the web. It's far beyond iphone and ipod touch for those things that iphone and ipod touch have trained me to do.
It really is a niche-holer, and that's it. It does everything it does astoundingly well.
Even if it had a mic, camera, usb ports and a muti-reader slot, I wouldn't use it for work. I work here at my desk, which is what my desktop is for. I don't carry it around with me, but I do use my ipad at my desk so I can haul it along when I get up and move about. If I end up outside or upstairs or in the shop, it goes right along with me, and I can keep up with the game, my movie, email, messageboards, whatever. Then when I come back to my desk, I do what I do there.
I'd like to edit pics on the ipad, but without a mouse, it'd be cumbersome at best. I leave that for my desktop.
In a pinch, I can use Logmein and grab or do anything I need that's on my desktop. So there's that small link between the ipad and my desktop that gives me even more deskability.
If someone enjoys his/her laptop, I can see no benefit in the ipad aside from sitting around on the couch surfing while watching tv. I don't know if 500 or 600 bucks is worth that small amount of flexibility. For a guy like me who has always absolutely hated a laptop, it's perfect. I gave my laptop to my daughter a month ago when I ordered this thing, and sold hers. That's how much I hate laptops. :D

mithrilG60
04-07-2010, 03:38 PM
How is the battery life on it Scott?

King James
04-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I initially thought i would have no reason to get an iPad ( i still won't until at least 2nd gen) but then using the ibook feature jumped out at me. first off, for school it could be excellent if the school books in iBook form had extra features like videos and such. Also we got assigned alot of pdfs to read and instead of printing them out, viewing them on an iPad would be nice.

If you could highlight on the iPad and then print it highlighted if necessary that would be awesome.

For me, the dictionary feature is HUGE. I almost never take the time to find and look up a word in the dictionary if I don't know something.... but with just being able to click on the word and it has a dictionary option, that is really fantastic.

shilala
04-07-2010, 03:58 PM
How is the battery life on it Scott?
I can watch video all day and never plug it in. It's touted as delivering 10 hours of video, but it appears I get way better than that, and I have the screen a lot brighter than the 50% factory default, which is adequate.
I still have the plastic factory cover on it so it doesn't get hogged up, when that comes off I can decrease the brightness a lot.
For whatever reason, the $40 cover/binder/stand I ordered with it isn't going to be here till Friday. That's better than the 20th, which is what the last email said that they sent.
The battery life is easily five times that of my 9 cell in the 17" Vostro 7200 gamer I was using. Or more accurately, the 17" Vostro 7200 gamer that I was never using. :)
My daughter loves it and has really put it to use since I gave it to her. That wasted $1400 has finally been put to use, even if it's just playing Sims 3 for 6 hours a day. :D

shilala
04-07-2010, 04:01 PM
I initially thought i would have no reason to get an iPad ( i still won't until at least 2nd gen) but then using the ibook feature jumped out at me. first off, for school it could be excellent if the school books in iBook form had extra features like videos and such. Also we got assigned alot of pdfs to read and instead of printing them out, viewing them on an iPad would be nice.

If you could highlight on the iPad and then print it highlighted if necessary that would be awesome.

For me, the dictionary feature is HUGE. I almost never take the time to find and look up a word in the dictionary if I don't know something.... but with just being able to click on the word and it has a dictionary option, that is really fantastic.

The ibooks app totally kicks ass out of any reader I've ever touched.
If I had to struggle through a book on a Kindle, I'd stomp it and go about my life stupid. Sony reader? I'd far rather just go to Barnes and Noble. It's easier and more friendly.
I may actually read some books on it, but haven't gotten that far yet, aside from previewing it. Plus it's ball season. :)

King James
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
The ibooks app totally kicks ass out of any reader I've ever touched.
If I had to struggle through a book on a Kindle, I'd stomp it and go about my life stupid. Sony reader? I'd far rather just go to Barnes and Noble. It's easier and more friendly.
I may actually read some books on it, but haven't gotten that far yet, aside from previewing it. Plus it's ball season. :)

I think as it grows to implement more newspapers and magazines it can only get better and better. Newspapers have seen dwindling sales numbers in recent years, and maybe this new platform (be it apple or other non-apple products to come) could be a possible solution.

I also spend a great deal of time reading tech and other websites (such as gizmodo, engadget, etc) and if they come out with good apps, or hell just reading right on the website, that would be an enjoyable and more portable activity

shilala
04-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I think as it grows to implement more newspapers and magazines it can only get better and better. Newspapers have seen dwindling sales numbers in recent years, and maybe this new platform (be it apple or other non-apple products to come) could be a possible solution.

I also spend a great deal of time reading tech and other websites (such as gizmodo, engadget, etc) and if they come out with good apps, or hell just reading right on the website, that would be an enjoyable and more portable activity
If you wanna check out a "newspapery" app, download New York Times. It's free and reads just like a newspaper with video in the pic holders.
I gave it a look, but I can't read it. It's too much like Fox. ;)

mithrilG60
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Posted this in the current iPhone thread, but it's applicable here too. Seems strange to me that this OS won't be released to iPad (ie. giving iPad multi-tasking) until the fall. You'd think that'd be the first update they'd want to push out!

So is anyone else following the iPhone OS 4.0 sneak peak? Live right now ;)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/08/live-from-apples-iphone-os-4-event/?sort=newest&refresh=60

Biggest announcements so far:

1) Multitasking (FINALLY)

- including the ability for background music, phone, VoIP and location services

2) Folders for App organization.

3) Enhanced email

- support for integrated inbox
- multiple Exchange accounts
- open attachements directly from email with apps from app store

4) iBooks

5) Enterprise features

- better data security
- mobile device management (this sounds like a BES-like feature of remotely disabling devices)
- wireless app distribution
- Exchange 2010 and SSL VPN support
- looks like Apple is finally starting to make very aggressive steps into the enterprise market, as I mentioned before, RIM needs to innovate or the pressure from iPhone and Droid will remove them from their core business

6) More and better gaming

7) iAd - mobile advertising

- great more ads, more a end user perspective this is not exciting at all :(

Beagleone
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
I went three days before I needed to plug it in and recharge the IPad. I have been using the IBooks and the video function more than anything else. Still impressive and no I didn't fiddle with the controls. One thing, you need to use the 10 watt charge that comes with the IPad; it won't charge through your USB connector on you computer. I bit bothersome to me, but I will just have to buy an extra to carry in my backpack. The Apple cover is a nice protector and doubles for a mini stand when I am at my desk with the IPad.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
aapl is just under $260 a share. +14.63 today.

Can someone tell me when the iPad is going to be availible internationally?

shilala
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM

;)
I got an email today and they have a memory card reader for the ipad, available from Apple. Didn't look into it any further cause I don't need one.
I imagine they'll be 2 bucks at ebay in coming weeks, if they aren't already. :tu

Wolfgang
04-21-2010, 03:15 PM
not me. it isnt my time of month...... :r

King James
04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
not me. it isnt my time of month...... :r

here we go :rolleyes:

Wolfgang
04-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I got the I pad nano though.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/andrewcarlton69/itouch.jpg

Just stirring the pot. :D

thebayratt
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I went to an Apple store in Metarie La this weekend and got to play with one. It reminds me of an oversized IPhone. It didn't really turn me on. The Laberynth game was great! But the $500+ price tag (plus $20+ a month for internet acess) didn't thrill me either. There isn't but an hour in my day where I could or would want to use one and its on my lunch break... I have a desktop and a laptop computer....... they work fine by me and I think I will stick with them for now!

King James
04-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I think if you don't utilize the ebook function the ipad isn't worth getting unless you don't have a laptop or something else to use

kelmac07
04-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Taking the plunge...my wife and I are gonna share one. That is code for she wants one. :r :r

shilala
04-22-2010, 06:32 AM
Taking the plunge...my wife and I are gonna share one. That is code for she wants one. :r :r
I kinda suspected that would happen. It wasn't easy talking her into it. :D

kelmac07
04-22-2010, 07:13 AM
I kinda suspected that would happen. It wasn't easy talking her into it. :D

Thanks brother!! :r :r

shilala
04-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks brother!! :r :r
Just doin what I can, my friend. :D

aich75013
04-22-2010, 08:28 AM
My wife has been hinting that it would be great on the plane for the kids on vacation this summer. So they can watch Spongebob, or whatever.

I'd much rather buy a iPod touch as they can watch movies on it as well and its much more compact. We'll see. The wife usually gets what she wants.

shilala
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
My wife has been hinting that it would be great on the plane for the kids on vacation this summer. So they can watch Spongebob, or whatever.

I'd much rather buy a iPod touch as they can watch movies on it as well and its much more compact. We'll see. The wife usually gets what she wants.
Adrian, I had two ipod touches. My daughter has an ipod touch. I got touches for all three of my girlfriend's kids. Lisa and I have iphones now, and I got rid of my touches a long while back.
Your kids, they'd LOVE ipod touches. None of the kids really bother with my ipad at all.
The ipad is more of a grownup niche toy. The touch is for everyone.
You can get a touch for two kids for the price of a base ipad. If they don't have them already, I swear, they'll be a lot happier.
None of our kids go anywhere without them, and Lisa and I are never without out iphones.
There's no doubt your wife is right, cause wives always are. An ipad would be great on vacation and the battery lasts a LOT longer. From my experience, the kids are gonna get way more fun out of the touch. Our kids are 20, 13, 13, and 8. Only one kid doesn't have a touch, and she wants one. Bad. She's going to be 19 in June. They work for kids of all ages. :tu

T.G
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Don't take that iPad if you're traveling to Israel. (http://gizmodo.com/5518002/ipad-imports-banned-in-israel)

I saw something else somewhere, although I'm not sure how credible the source is so it still touches on rumor as far as I'm concerned, that some European countries are considering following suite.

Just something to exercise caution over, it would really suck to lose a $600-something electronic gadget at customs over an RF compliance issue due to varying standards.

aich75013
04-22-2010, 09:15 AM
Don't take that iPad if you're traveling to Israel. (http://gizmodo.com/5518002/ipad-imports-banned-in-israel)

I saw something else somewhere, although I'm not sure how credible the source is so it still touches on rumor as far as I'm concerned, that some European countries are considering following suite.

Just something to exercise caution over, it would really suck to lose a $600-something electronic gadget at customs over an RF compliance issue due to varying standards.

Thanks for the tip. We're staying within the states this year.
Going back to Disney and to Universal Studios for a few days for the older one.
The kids are 7 and 2 (almost). I wanted to get the 7yr old a touch for Christmas, but my wife said she was too young. Now that she wants our iPhones daily, I think it's time she got an iPod Touch for herself.

King James
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
My problem (besides wanting to wait for 2nd gen ipad) is I still have a most recent generation touch. I don't think owning both is justified right now, not because I think the ipad is just a big ipod touch, but because there is enough overlap to not warrant spending the money.... especially when I have a laptop. It isn't that I wouldn't use the ipad, its that I would stop using the touch.... which still has a lot of life left in it and is current.

I guess the point doesn't really matter for me as I would wait for 2nd gen before even considering the decision, but just something worth raising.

aich75013
04-22-2010, 09:34 AM
The ipad is more of a grownup niche toy. The touch is for everyone.
You can get a touch for two kids for the price of a base ipad. If they don't have them already, I swear, they'll be a lot happier.
None of our kids go anywhere without them, and Lisa and I are never without out iphones.
There's no doubt your wife is right, cause wives always are. An ipad would be great on vacation and the battery lasts a LOT longer. From my experience, the kids are gonna get way more fun out of the touch. Our kids are 20, 13, 13, and 8. Only one kid doesn't have a touch, and she wants one. Bad. She's going to be 19 in June. They work for kids of all ages. :tu
I think in a way she was checking to see if I would use it myself the rest of the time. She knows I like new toys. She really liked the larger screen. I just really don't see myself using it. I was so happy when I could replace my Palm Pilot, phone, and iPod with my iPhone.
I think I'm sold on a 32GB touch. Best Buy has a better price right now that I can with my company's discount.

shilala
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
My problem (besides wanting to wait for 2nd gen ipad) is I still have a most recent generation touch. I don't think owning both is justified right now, not because I think the ipad is just a big ipod touch, but because there is enough overlap to not warrant spending the money.... especially when I have a laptop. It isn't that I wouldn't use the ipad, its that I would stop using the touch.... which still has a lot of life left in it and is current.

I guess the point doesn't really matter for me as I would wait for 2nd gen before even considering the decision, but just something worth raising.
I have never been a 1st gen hardware adopter. I build all my computers on the last gen platform, and I use the best stuff from that platform. That's why they always work. :)
I never got an iphone till 3Gs, Touches are al 2nd gen, and I never had the first rev of an ipod, and I've had them all (I used to sell them).
The iPad was a niche thing for me. I hate laptops, always have. This thing gives me the portability I need for the stuff I do away from my desk.
It's perfect. I carry my iPhone all the time, and there's a lot of overlap, but I do many things on the phone that I wouldn't want to do on the ipad.
I'm very happy I tried this in the first rev, and I'll easily get my money's worth out of it. I know other folks won't. It's really dependant on what a person wants to do, or at least it was for me.
If someone buys this to be their laptop, they'll be disappointed. Same as if they buy a touch or an iphone to be their laptop.
What it does, it does spectacular. What it doesn't do, I do at my desk.
Add the iphone in there and I'm good to go.
Well, that isn't all that true. I need my cameras, too. And cigars. And snuff. :D

mithrilG60
04-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Have you looked at the Air Video app (iPhone & iPad) and server yet Scott? My boss pointed it out to me today and it's amazing! Full streaming of pretty much and audio and video format with live on-the-fly conversion for formats like mvk that aren't natively supported. Probably one of the best apps I've come across, really useful if you're someone like me with a large amount of archived tv and movies.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
$270.83

mithrilG60
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
$270.83

I assume that's what you paid for you iPad? If so, what size and where?

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I assume that's what you paid for you iPad? If so, what size and where?

Last trade of AAPL.

mithrilG60
04-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Ah, I understand now.

ChicagoWhiteSox
04-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Ah, I understand now.

Just interesting to see how well Apple is doing. Most of wall street didn't expect this at all, or at least to this extent.

md4958
04-28-2010, 10:03 AM
so the wife just dropped this on me. "I want an iPad for Mothers Day"

me:waste of money
her: its so i can read while Im on the treadmill at the gym
me: for $500 ill hire somebody to read to you while youre on the treadmill at the gym

What do you think guys? Scotty, I know you love yours, but is this thing really worth the $$? We just got a new laptop, and we have a netbook.

AD720
04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
It definitely fills the gap between ipod and netbook and netbook and laptop.

I see it almost like ipod - ipad - netbook - ipad - laptop. (if that makes sense). The netbook is going to do some things the iPad isn't and the iPad is going to do somethings the netbook isn't.

The question is does that gap need to be filled...

My iPod certainly has it's place in my digital lifestyle. My laptop certainly has a place in my digital lifestyle. My netbook certainly has a place in my digital lifestyle. I'm stating to see how the iPad could fit in on both sides of the netbook - using what your wife said, I would bring my iPod to the gym but I can't read an eBook on it. I could read the eBook on my Netbook but I wouldn't bring it to the gym. I bring my Netbook with me on trips, but I wouldn't be comfortable bringing an iPAd only on a trip because it is still somewhat limited (no Ethernet, for one, not everywhere has WIFI and I can't tether my phone to an iPad and get internet access).

I still want one though. :D

Darrell
04-28-2010, 10:23 AM

me: for $500 ill hire somebody to read to you while youre on the treadmill at the gym

What do you think guys? Scotty, I know you love yours, but is this thing really worth the $$? We just got a new laptop, and we have a netbook.

Give Mama what she wants. I'm sure she thinks your cigars are a waste of money, but you still get them. Don't you?

pnoon
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM

If her primary use is to read, I would look at e-readers (Kindle, Nook, Sony). Half the price and meets her needs. More compact, too.
:2

Psojka RP,601
04-28-2010, 10:26 AM
They are a fun toy but thats all they are: a toy, not a tool.

my friend got one and its the wifi-only version. he loves it, but again, its a toy...

but when the wife's happy, everyone's happy :)

good luck man

King James
04-28-2010, 11:57 AM
They are a fun toy but thats all they are: a toy, not a tool.

my friend got one and its the wifi-only version. he loves it, but again, its a toy...

Yes, I often read PDFs, find recipes, get directions, read the news, answer emails, etc with all my toys. I guess by that logic a blackberry isn't a tool either.... heck you could even stretch it to say a netbook is mostly a toy.

I think you are understating its capabilities just a tad.

Sargeantroppe
04-28-2010, 12:07 PM
It's a lot of fun to play with. The flight simulators and mini flash games are a blast. The touch screen keyboard is difficult to use, but you can always plug in a real keyboard. It is essentially a giant iPhone, but it can be used as a macbook. It has all the programs. I wouldn't go as far to say its a toy, but I wouldn't say its a tool either. It's a happy medium. I would much rather have a different tablet that supported Windows 7 and had a lot more flash memory. AT&T realllly needs to lower the monthly cost of their 3G services. It's a tad high considering how many people use it.

mithrilG60
04-28-2010, 12:09 PM

The iPad is a media and information consumption device, nothing more nothing less, and as such it's not really comparable to either a netbook or a laptop since those are computers. However, like others have said, if all she really wants is an eBook reader for the gym there are better and cheaper options that just aren't as flashy and "Apple-y". So the answer to cost benefit as an e-reader is no it's not worth the $$$. However when taken in the context of "a happy wife is a happy life", $500 is pretty cheap ;)

md4958
04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Give Mama what she wants. I'm sure she thinks your cigars are a waste of money, but you still get them. Don't you?

ixnay on the igarsay there mean D! EVERY cigar box I own was bombed to me :D

at least thats what I told her when I bought my first Tower Cabinet ;)

md4958
04-28-2010, 12:14 PM
If her primary use is to read, I would look at e-readers (Kindle, Nook, Sony). Half the price and meets her needs. More compact, too.
:2

she actually said either an iPad or nook. But the nook seems too much of a unitasker for me. At least the iPad, while double the money has some other functionality.

Gonna let her try out both, and see which one she likes better.

Darrell
04-28-2010, 12:20 PM
ixnay on the igarsay there mean D! EVERY cigar box I own was bombed to me :D

at least thats what I told her when I bought my first Tower Cabinet ;)

:r

AD720
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
she actually said either an iPad or nook. But the nook seems too much of a unitasker for me. At least the iPad, while double the money has some other functionality.

Gonna let her try out both, and see which one she likes better.

Like Peter said, if she want's something solely for ebooks than an iPad is not the best option - beyond the price I could that glossy screen being pretty fatiguing on the eyes after a while.

pnoon
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Like Peter said, if she want's something solely for ebooks than an iPad is not the best option - beyond the price I could that glossy screen being pretty fatiguing on the eyes after a while.

The eReaders are extremely easy on the eyes and are much more easily read outdoors than a backlit computer screen.

Darrell
04-28-2010, 01:23 PM
The eReaders are extremely easy on the eyes and are much more easily read outdoors than a backlit computer screen.

I have to agree with Peter, which hurts. :D

However, have you seen the eReader application for the iPad? It's pretty nice.

0002S
04-28-2010, 06:04 PM
I bought my second one and it comes tomorrow

shilala
06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Peter, if you get a chance to use an iPad for reading, I promise you'd be thrilled. I've tried the Sony and Kindle. There is no comparison.
I read on my iPad constantly because it is so pleasant.
The fact that it's backlit and the fonts can be changed to whatever I like and any size, it's so easy on my old eyeballs.
I wish I could spare mine for a minute so you could try it, but I'd be lost. :)