PDA

View Full Version : Differences In Tats???

longknocker
03-13-2010, 04:46 AM
I'm Becoming A Complete Tat Whore!:banger Seems Like That's The Only Smoke I Really Crave, Now. What Are The Differences Between The "Regular" Tat Line From Miami & The Havana VI?

Thanks, All!:tu

klipsch
03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
What do you consider the "regular" line?

Emjaysmash
03-13-2010, 09:52 AM
What do you consider the "regular" line?
:tpd:

Do you mean the white line or the Brown line? EDIT: Nvm, seems the brown line is the "Miami" line?

All I know is that the white (series P) line is made with mixed filler, while the others are not.

tedrodgerscpa
03-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Brown labeled tats are rolled in Miami, whereas the rest of the line is rolled in Nicaragua.

That's part of the price premium for the brown labels over the red labels.

The line was carefully blended by Don Pepin Garcia, so I'd highly recommend you explore more of his products if you enjoy Tatuaje.

I find the brown labeled cigars to be amongst the stronger of the line (with the Black and T110 even fuller), and the red labeled a more medium to full.

I dont' think the white labeled tats are in production any longer, but these were mixed filler and even 'milder' than the red labeled.

Other brand offshoots, such as La Riqueza, Cabaiguan, and Ambos Mundos vary in strength and quality (Ambos Mundos is the only Tat product I don't care for).

You can also read more at the tatuajecigars.com website

issues
03-13-2010, 10:00 AM
I find the red labels to be milder than the browns.

They remind me of the El Rey de los Habanos; not a bad stick at all but I much prefer the browns.

Razorhog
03-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Never had a brown, but I love the Red! I think the white label is made from scraps after making the others. They are cheap, might be worth a buy for a yard gar.

Smokin Gator
03-13-2010, 10:46 AM
In general I like the browns more than the reds. They are a little more full bodied and are more multi-dimesional. I have had a couple of red hermosas and Angeles that were outstanding though. Really sweet and creamy.

Just don't get started on the Verocus!!!

neoflex
03-13-2010, 11:14 AM
In general I like the browns more than the reds. They are a little more full bodied and are more multi-dimesional. I have had a couple of red hermosas and Angeles that were outstanding though. Really sweet and creamy.

Just don't get started on the Verocus!!!
The East/Wests are the shiz for me in the Tat line. My only complaint about them is the wrappers are so damn delicate that if you look at them wrong they split. Haven't smoked the Verocu tubos that I have yet to see how they compare and resisted the 9s simply because of the size as I feel like I have to many smokes that size currently. I do love me some Unicos to though. Smoked my first Ambos Mundos yesterday and really enjoyed it. For the price point I thought it wasn't a bad smoke. Still have yet to try the Series P line and the two T110 that Mario sent me are getting torched as soon as the weather here really breaks and I get to sit out back with one wit a nice rum and Dr Pepper

JJG
03-13-2010, 11:21 AM
In general I like the browns more than the reds. They are a little more full bodied and are more multi-dimesional.

:tpd:

yep, definitely the most complex in my opinion. I started out smoking the Brown labels and made my way around the other lines. but I have come back to the original browns as my personal favorite. and so far I'd say the Cojonu '09s are hands down the best in my opinion, the only Tat I still buy regularly.

I just wish they were a little more consistent. It seems like out of every three brown Tats I smoke; one is amazing, one is pretty good, and one is a total dud. same thing with the Riquezas. but if you do get a good one...wow.

maverickdrinker
03-13-2010, 12:31 PM
J21s are my favorite.....

MiamiE
03-13-2010, 01:03 PM
I havent had a Tat I like yet. Ive only had the red and white labels though. Passed on a brown label at my B&M last night.

longknocker
03-13-2010, 02:11 PM
According To Cigars International, The Tatuaje Group (Miami) Is Blended In Miami By Don Pepin Garcia. The Havana VI Is Blended By Jose Pepin Garcia (His Son???) In Nicaragua. Is The Tat Havana VI Line A Cheaper, Lower Quality Line With A Completely Different Taste? I Love The Tat Line From Miami But Haven't Sampled The Havana VI Line. Thanks For All The Help, Guys!:tu

Col. Kurtz
03-13-2010, 02:20 PM
According To Cigars International, The Tatuaje Group (Miami) Is Blended In Miami By Don Pepin Garcia. The Havana VI Is Blended By Jose Pepin Garcia (His Son???) In Nicaragua. Is The Tat Havana VI Line A Cheaper, Lower Quality Line With A Completely Different Taste? I Love The Tat Line From Miami But Haven't Sampled The Havana VI Line. Thanks For All The Help, Guys!:tu

Greg,

If I understand it correctly (and I probably don't since I'm not a huge Tat fan).

-The Brown labels are rolled in Miami.
-The Red and White labels are rolled in Nic. and due to the lower labor cost are a lower priced alternative.
-The White label is a mixed long and medium length filler.
-Jamie is Jose Don Pepin Garcia's son.

Hope this helps a little.

RevSmoke
03-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Basically, the VI is the red line, and is less expensive because labor is cheaper in Nicaragua than in Miami. The blend is also a bit different than the brown. Is it lower quality? No!

longknocker
03-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Greg,

If I understand it correctly (and I probably don't since I'm not a huge Tat fan).

-The Brown labels are rolled in Miami.
-The Red and White labels are rolled in Nic. and due to the lower labor cost are a lower priced alternative.
-The White label is a mixed long and medium length filler.
-Jamie is Jose Don Pepin Garcia's son.

Hope this helps a little.Thanks!:) So DPG & Jose Don Pepin Garcia One & The Same?

Basically, the VI is the red line, and is less expensive because labor is cheaper in Nicaragua than in Miami. The blend is also a bit different than the brown. Is it lower quality? No!

Thanks, Rev! What Are The Differences In Taste, Please? Thanks!:tu

cort
03-13-2010, 02:33 PM
All these questions are hurting my head Greg:D

Give me your addy and I will send you a few Red's:tu

Col. Kurtz
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks!:) So DPG & Jose Don Pepin Garcia One & The Same?

Pretty sure.

longknocker
03-13-2010, 02:38 PM
All these questions are hurting my head Greg:D

Give me your addy and I will send you a few Red's:tu

:r I've Already Tried The Red Tubos, Gary, So I'm Not Falling For That!:D

I Probably Should Visit The Tatuaje Website, Huh? Thanks To You & Everyone For Their Help!:tu

cort
03-13-2010, 02:41 PM
:r I've Already Tried The Red Tubos, Gary, So I'm Not Falling For That!:D

I Probably Should Visit The Tatuaje Website, Huh? Thanks To You & Everyone For Their Help!:tu

You're a smart cookie Greg:tu

RevSmoke
03-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Rev! What Are The Differences In Taste, Please? Thanks!:tu

You haven't tried either of these yet? Hmm. The browns (Miami) are bolder with a bit more spice than the red (Havana VI) line. They both exhibit pepper, with the red line have more leather and come the brown some cream in the flavors. I have never found sweet or cocoa or such type flavors, both line come across as earthier.

If I can summarize that way.

Personally, I find the smaller ring guage in both lines to be tastier - my favorites are the Noella (brown) and Angeles (red). :2

Peace of the Lord be with you.

ucubed
03-13-2010, 03:48 PM
The reds are Nicaraguan Puro (all nicaraguan), white ( long and medium fillers, nicaraguan puro), brown (Corojo wrappers and nicaraguan filler)

You forgot the El Triunfador and the new El Triunfador, plus the "vintage" line and l'esprit de la verite, plus the "monster" series, and the balcks in your list...the original El Triunfador is basically the Cabaiguan Guapos Maduro that was meant for Europe, but such a high demand in the states that were created that it is not a staple. It has a brownish label in a lancero format. The NEW El Triunfadors will come in 6 difference sizes and is blended differently than the original with different combinations of leaves and filler.

You then have the new "vintage" line which will be have set price similar to padron and those are exactly are what they say they are. They are vintage and will be Tatuaje's "premium" line.

The l'esprit de la verite has been in production basically since 2007. That's when the first crops were planted. In 2008, they were picked rolled and fermented for about 1 year and then they sat in the aging bins for another year. These cigars will are basically 2 years old every batch because in 2008 they planted a whole new crop and in 2009 they planted a new one. Each year the artwork will be different. They too will come in multiple sizes

Then the monster series as you may know will be based off famous "monsters" that started off with the Frank, then this past year the Drac and the Boris. This year will be Leatherface which is based off the Drac cigar but tweaked. It may not be done this year, it depends if the boxes get done by May, says Pete in a recent review.

You have the black label that comes in the Toro size which is a CRA exclusive, robusto (in cello), and the corona gorda (jar release). They were Pete's personal blend of Nicaraguan-grown tobaccos and were limited released. (One of my favorite cigars of all time is the Corona Gorda)...

and as Ted said La Riqueza (Nicaraguan Binder and Filler are encased in a Dark Natural Connecticut Broadleaf Wrapper), Cabaiguan (Connecticut seed Shade Grown Ecuadorian wrapper and Nicaraguan filler), and Ambos Mundos (Using a lesser grade tobacco of the same varieties used in other Tatuaje cigar like color variations and such)... But you also have the Cabaiguan Guapos (It features an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper) and the maduros (the guapos being a silver band on the top and bottom of the Cabaiguan label) and the Ambos Mundos (whose bands will be changing) has 2 the Ecuadorian Sumatra (Red label) and Nicaraguan Habano (yellow label)..

You have the RC 184 and the RC 233 which are huge, the t110 with the same red white blue label which is Hawaiian exclusive, the red and black tubo (which Pete says he won't do anymore). The east and west coast (the west coast was released twice the original Exclusivo Lado Occidential and the 2nd saying west side...the original is 10x better than the 2nd release...and the east being Exclusivo Zona del Este) The verocu no.9 a holts exclusive, the reserva and cojonu lines of the browns (similar to the browns with different wrappers) and I think that's it, if I'm wrong on the information please correct me, I typed this up rather quickly

ucubed
03-13-2010, 04:05 PM
forgot to add the 184 is a salamon and the 233 is a diademas, the reserva line (j21 -uses a ligero leaf, sw, noella had an 06 release and 09 regios release) and cojonu (03,in 06 the change to ligero wrappers from a viso wrapper,09, and the Gran cojonu with no band ), Bombazos for Fumare, El Cohete to Tower, La Maravilla for Leaf and Ale, and the Thermonuclear

ucubed
03-13-2010, 04:32 PM
forgot the Pork Chop for Gloucester Street Cigar

longknocker
03-13-2010, 04:37 PM
You haven't tried either of these yet? Hmm. The browns (Miami) are bolder with a bit more spice than the red (Havana VI) line. They both exhibit pepper, with the red line have more leather and come the brown some cream in the flavors. I have never found sweet or cocoa or such type flavors, both line come across as earthier.

If I can summarize that way.

Personally, I find the smaller ring guage in both lines to be tastier - my favorites are the Noella (brown) and Angeles (red). :2

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Thanks!:tu

longknocker
03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
The reds are Nicaraguan Puro (all nicaraguan), white ( long and medium fillers, nicaraguan puro), brown (Corojo wrappers and nicaraguan filler)

You forgot the El Triunfador and the new El Triunfador, plus the "vintage" line and l'esprit de la verite, plus the "monster" series, and the balcks in your list...the original El Triunfador is basically the Cabaiguan Guapos Maduro that was meant for Europe, but such a high demand in the states that were created that it is not a staple. It has a brownish label in a lancero format. The NEW El Triunfadors will come in 6 difference sizes and is blended differently than the original with different combinations of leaves and filler.

You then have the new "vintage" line which will be have set price similar to padron and those are exactly are what they say they are. They are vintage and will be Tatuaje's "premium" line.

The l'esprit de la verite has been in production basically since 2007. That's when the first crops were planted. In 2008, they were picked rolled and fermented for about 1 year and then they sat in the aging bins for another year. These cigars will are basically 2 years old every batch because in 2008 they planted a whole new crop and in 2009 they planted a new one. Each year the artwork will be different. They too will come in multiple sizes

Then the monster series as you may know will be based off famous "monsters" that started off with the Frank, then this past year the Drac and the Boris. This year will be Leatherface which is based off the Drac cigar but tweaked. It may not be done this year, it depends if the boxes get done by May, says Pete in a recent review.

You have the black label that comes in the Toro size which is a CRA exclusive, robusto (in cello), and the corona gorda (jar release). They were Pete's personal blend of Nicaraguan-grown tobaccos and were limited released. (One of my favorite cigars of all time is the Corona Gorda)...

and as Ted said La Riqueza (Nicaraguan Binder and Filler are encased in a Dark Natural Connecticut Broadleaf Wrapper), Cabaiguan (Connecticut seed Shade Grown Ecuadorian wrapper and Nicaraguan filler), and Ambos Mundos (Using a lesser grade tobacco of the same varieties used in other Tatuaje cigar like color variations and such)... But you also have the Cabaiguan Guapos (It features an Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper) and the maduros (the guapos being a silver band on the top and bottom of the Cabaiguan label) and the Ambos Mundos (whose bands will be changing) has 2 the Ecuadorian Sumatra (Red label) and Nicaraguan Habano (yellow label)..

You have the RC 184 and the RC 233 which are huge, the t110 with the same red white blue label which is Hawaiian exclusive, the red and black tubo (which Pete says he won't do anymore). The east and west coast (the west coast was released twice the original Exclusivo Lado Occidential and the 2nd saying west side...the original is 10x better than the 2nd release...and the east being Exclusivo Zona del Este) The verocu no.9 a holts exclusive, the reserva and cojonu lines of the browns (similar to the browns with different wrappers) and I think that's it, if I'm wrong on the information please correct me, I typed this up rather quickly

forgot to add the 184 is a salamon and the 233 is a diademas, the reserva line (j21 -uses a ligero leaf, sw, noella had an 06 release and 09 regios release) and cojonu (03,in 06 the change to ligero wrappers from a viso wrapper,09, and the Gran cojonu with no band ), Bombazos for Fumare, El Cohete to Tower, La Maravilla for Leaf and Ale, and the Thermonuclear

forgot the Pork Chop for Gloucester Street Cigar

Thanks, Kevin! I Knew The "Florida Crew" Would Come Through!:banger:tu

klipsch
03-13-2010, 04:48 PM
This goes to show that I don't know anything about the cigars I smoke. I either like em or I don't...lol. I'd be happy if I had no other Tat's to smoke except Noella Reserva's and Frank's. :tu

pitbulljimmy
03-13-2010, 05:10 PM
I haven't enjoyed a single Tat. Not my bag man.

neoflex
03-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Don't bother hitting the website just yet as it seems to be under construction as it has been for a couple months now but I think most of the bullet points have been hit in this thread. Love the wealth of knowledge in this group.:tu

jaymz
03-13-2010, 05:51 PM
So DPG & Jose Don Pepin Garcia One & The Same?

Don José "Pepin" Garcia [current C.E.O. of El Rey de los Habanos]

I always took the "Don" moniker as a sign of respect. And the "Pepin" moniker as a nickname.

montecristo#2
03-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Thanks!:) So DPG & Jose Don Pepin Garcia One & The Same?

Pretty sure.

Don José "Pepin" Garcia [current C.E.O. of El Rey de los Habanos]

I always took the "Don" moniker as a sign of respect. And the "Pepin" moniker as a nickname.

Yeh - Jose Garcia, nickname Pepin, his cigars Don Pepin Garcia (rolled in Miami at El Rey de los Habanos) and in Nicaragua at Tabacalera Cubana (TACUBA) and My Father Cigars (not sure if TACUBA became My Father Cigars or if it still exists).

For me, if we are strictly speaking of Tatuajes (owned by Pete Johnson, rolled and blended by Pepin) I definitely prefer the brown labels over the red labels (Havana VI). To me, the browns are definitely fuller and more complex. I find the red labels a little too bitter for my tastes.

To me, the Series P taste a lot like the Havana VI, just not as intense in flavor (definitely milder), I actually like the Series P over the Havana VI.

The Verocu Havana VI (East, West, #9, Tubos) are definitely a different blend. Fuller flavor profile, closer to the Miami made brown labels.

In terms of the brown labels, I like the noellas and the especiales. The regios, unicos and tainos have a similar blend, a little too woodsy or me, but really good with a couple of years on them.

The Reserva line is a little fuller than the other brown labels. The Gran Cojonu is probably the mildest of the line and is fantastic if you like 6 x 60 cigars and have 2.5 to 3 hours to smoke one. In terms of the reservas, the J21 has been hit or miss for me and is really full bodied (probably why it is hit or miss as I prefer milder cigars). The 2006 is fuller than the 2003 which is fuller than the 2009. The 2009 is one of my favorite Tatuajes.

I do not have as much experience with the Cabaiguans (the originals were also too bitter for me), the La Riquezas and I have not tried the new El Triunfadors yet (although I have some coming).

I actually like the Ambos Mundos, a slightly different flavor profile, but very clean and crisp (although they are not very complex). Solid Nicaraguan tobacco flavor. I like the sumatra over the habano.

In terms of the RC184 and RC233, I liked the RC184 I smoked. Reminded me of the brown labels. I do not think he rolls a lot of these as the sizes are more difficult to roll and I do not know if they sell all that well (large cigars with a higher price point). I do have some RC233s in the humidor, I just have not had a good opportunity to smoke one. I usually save cigars this size for a herf.

Pete seems to like to release limited edition cigars: Monster Series, Reservas with different wrappers. . . some of these I have bought, others I have not.

The black label, a limited edition cigar that started as a corona gorda and was eventually released in jars. Robustos that are only available at events and the new tubos. I have found these get significantly better the longer you let them rest.

I think Pete is updating his site, but some of the other pages are still indexed and active:

http://www.tatuajecigars.com/smokes/

For me, I have found most Pepin's including Tatuajes smoke a lot better after they have had time to rest in the humidor. Some people say 6 months, I often let mine rest at least a year before lighting them up. Of course, I don't smoke all that often, so it is easy to let them rest a while.

From my personal experience, I also find that Tatuajes (and again most Pepin's) smoke better at 65% RH (I actually have been storing them closer to 60% lately). I know some people complain about them being tight and not drawing well, not sure if this is an RH issue. [My only disclaimer there is that most of my regular production Tatuajes are from 2006 / 2007, so I have not purchased a lot of recently rolled cigars besides the new ones and limited editions.]

My advice, if you are thinking about trying a certain size, buy two and smoke one now and one later to see if there is any difference. I know most B&Ms store their cigars at higher RH as the humidors are opened more often.

adampc22
03-14-2010, 03:31 AM
if i lived in canada i would make a tat brown label my bride thay are so damn good

Brian65
03-14-2010, 10:00 AM
To me, the brown labels are more consistent in quality than the reds. I always seem to have fewer plugged sticks with the brown labels. The red label Angeles VI have always been the most flavorful of the red line to me as well as the cheapest.
Try the My Father line that is made by Pepin and his son Jamie. They are excellent sticks with lots of pepper as well a touch of sweetness.

Mugen910
03-14-2010, 10:02 AM
all I know is the Browns and Reds are pretty good. The white line is very mild. and the black line is prob the yummiest...says Vin and I never argue with that guy.

colimo
03-14-2010, 12:32 PM
I know the feeling...have become a tat freak myself...

love the brown, and the black...need to find some of the cgs...

the red line is great too....love the angeles and hermosos

spent way too much on tats this last year