PDA

View Full Version : Going to Key Largo

chachee52
03-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey guys,
Heading to Key Largo at the end of next week. Any advise on places to eat,drink,see,smoke at?
Heading down to check out a place to have our wedding, and only staying from Friday till Sunday this trip so won't have too much time.

Thanks
Todd

shilala
03-11-2010, 06:42 PM
The Fish House is right across from the Island Smoke Shop. You should stop and see Bill.
Alabama Jack's Conch Fritters on Card Sound Road is an absolute must. There's a glass bottomed bar that is incredibly cool, and the food is awesome. It's called the Pilot House.
Everyone will send you to Snapper's. It sucks. It's nursing home food. :D

Blueface
03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
The Fish House is right across from the Island Smoke Shop. You should stop and see Bill.
Alabama Jack's Conch Fritters on Card Sound Road is an absolute must. There's a glass bottomed bar that is incredibly cool, and the food is awesome. It's called the Pilot House.
Everyone will send you to Snapper's. It sucks. It's nursing home food. :D

:tpd:
Bill is not there on Saturday or Sunday. You can catch him on weekdays.
Bob the owner is there on weekends. Nice shop. Nice selection.
Fish House rules!!! Love the Pan Seared catch of the day, rum runners and key lime pie.

chachee52
03-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Good to know about Snapper's. That was one of the places that we were going to head. I'll stay away. Heard about the Glass bottom bar but didn't know the name!!!!
And I will check out the smoke shop. Don't know if i'll have time Friday, have a meeting with the wedding coordinator, but I will speak with Bob. Cool place to hang out for the pre-wedding festivities?
Thanks guys!!!

Blueface
03-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Good to know about Snapper's. That was one of the places that we were going to head. I'll stay away. Heard about the Glass bottom bar but didn't know the name!!!!
And I will check out the smoke shop. Don't know if i'll have time Friday, have a meeting with the wedding coordinator, but I will speak with Bob. Cool place to hang out for the pre-wedding festivities?
Thanks guys!!!

Dude,
Island Smoke can host your wedding.:r That is how HUGE this place is.

chachee52
03-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Dude,
Island Smoke can host your wedding.:r That is how HUGE this place is.

HHHMMMMMMMM wonder how I can pitch this to my fiance?:rolleyes:

SNKBYT
03-12-2010, 11:57 AM
HHHMMMMMMMM wonder how I can pitch this to my fiance?:rolleyes:

good luck with that................but as for the listed places to stop...none better

shark
03-13-2010, 07:41 PM
I went all through the whole island chain to Key West back in 1996. It was a blast. I gotta get back down that way again someday.

chachee52
03-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I went all through the whole island chain to Key West back in 1996. It was a blast. I gotta get back down that way again someday.
We are going to be doing that after the wedding in Aug. this trip is just 3 days to check it out.

shark
03-13-2010, 09:26 PM
You know what? I was doing some thinking...I have a vacation planned this June for someplace up here in MI, but since I read this thread I am reconsidering now..since the Keys were a nice, relaxing place...So, where are you going to be staying in Largo? I've looked around a bit online and searched hotel reviews through TripAdvisor, and haven't come up with too many favorable reviews for places around 125 bucks a night.

Neuromancer
03-14-2010, 05:48 AM
We are going to be doing that after the wedding in Aug. this trip is just 3 days to check it out.

Let me know when you go to Key West...my other half and I spend a lot of time there I can clue you in about some of the best places to eat and play where the locals hang out that are not the tourist-trapping joints...

chachee52
03-14-2010, 06:33 AM
You know what? I was doing some thinking...I have a vacation planned this June for someplace up here in MI, but since I read this thread I am reconsidering now..since the Keys were a nice, relaxing place...So, where are you going to be staying in Largo? I've looked around a bit online and searched hotel reviews through TripAdvisor, and haven't come up with too many favorable reviews for places around 125 bucks a night.

We are staying at Key Largo Grande. Supposedly it's got one of the best beaches on the island. What we were reading on trip advisor and my parents confirmed, the places also charge you to park you car.

Let me know when you go to Key West...my other half and I spend a lot of time there I can clue you in about some of the best places to eat and play where the locals hang out that are not the tourist-trapping joints...

Cool, I think that we are going to be there Aug 16th -? We are going to hit Margaritaville because I'm a big Parrothead

Don Fernando
03-14-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey guys,
Heading to Key Largo at the end of next week. Any advise on places to eat,drink,see,smoke at?
Heading down to check out a place to have our wedding, and only staying from Friday till Sunday this trip so won't have too much time.

Thanks
Todd

Go get a Cuban Sandwich @ Marlin's. Had one when I was there in may, still wake up craving for another one every now and then. Have to wait till november, when I go back to Florida, can't wait to have a Cuban Sandwich in my belly.

And visit Bill @ Island Smoke Shop, get some of their house blend El Original. Reviews of the Claro Lancero and Natural Lancero are on my blog.

Blueface
03-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Best kept secret in Key West..........Louie's Backyard.

Best fish sandwich.........Bo's.

Neuromancer
03-14-2010, 01:31 PM

:tu...Marie loves Louie's Backyard...you forgot best breakfast...Blue Heaven (and they have excellent breads you can buy to take home), and best informal seafood joint, Half Shell Raw Bar (which is right by the Marina btw)...

chachee52
03-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Go get a Cuban Sandwich @ Marlin's. Had one when I was there in may, still wake up craving for another one every now and then. Have to wait till november, when I go back to Florida, can't wait to have a Cuban Sandwich in my belly.

And visit Bill @ Island Smoke Shop, get some of their house blend El Original. Reviews of the Claro Lancero and Natural Lancero are on my blog.

Cuban sandwiches done the right way are unbelievable!! I can't eat one up here in New England, just not the same!!!!

O, I'll be "stumbling into Louie's Backyard"!!! Any major ParrotHead has to hit that place!!

Blueface
03-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Cuban sandwiches done the right way are unbelievable!! I can't eat one up here in New England, just not the same!!!!

O, I'll be "stumbling into Louie's Backyard"!!! Any major ParrotHead has to hit that place!!

If you can get good Cuban bread, a Cuban sandwich is a breeze to make.

You make make a shoulder of pork or a loin in the oven, just seasoned with salt and very slow cooked in the oven, to make it tender.
Take boiled ham, shredded pork, Swiss cheese, pickles, one half of the bread with mustard, the other half with butter, then take a panini grille using the flat attachment instead of ridges and you are off to the races.
Press it down in the panini grille and when almost ready to take out, take some butter and spread lightly on outside of top of sandwich. That is the best little personal touch I can give you. It adds an extra dimension.

No restaurant can match a good homemade Cuban sandwich.

Don Fernando
03-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I'll be in Florida in november, did you just offer to make me a homemade Cuban sandwich? ;)

Blueface
03-14-2010, 05:00 PM
I'll be in Florida in november, did you just offer to make me a homemade Cuban sandwich? ;)

You got it.

chachee52
03-18-2010, 05:46 AM
Heading down tonight. thanks for all the advice. i'll let you know what I grabbed at the smoke shop and where we went and what we liked!!!! Thanks again!

chachee52
03-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Just got back this AM from Key Largo. First stop was to Island Smoke Shop. Thanks to Bill for being so friendly and making us feel welcome!! What a place!!! I bought a few sticks and stuck around to smoke a El Original that was amazing. He had some time to sit back and chat with us to tell us about a couple places to check out. And all the sticks and lighter made it back (although they did open the check in bag to see what was in it).
Great weather, great people, and we are excited to get back there in Aug to get married!! I'll be spending some more time at the smoke shop!!!

68TriShield
03-23-2010, 04:43 AM
Just got back this AM from Key Largo. First stop was to Island Smoke Shop. Thanks to Bill for being so friendly and making us feel welcome!! What a place!!! I bought a few sticks and stuck around to smoke a El Original that was amazing. He had some time to sit back and chat with us to tell us about a couple places to check out. And all the sticks and lighter made it back (although they did open the check in bag to see what was in it).
Great weather, great people, and we are excited to get back there in Aug to get married!! I'll be spending some more time at the smoke shop!!!

One of the nicest shops I've been in :tu