PDA

View Full Version : Chasidor (EdgeStar28)

daboose
03-11-2010, 01:02 PM
I’m another proud, excited, thrilled and satisfied owner of a Chasidor! I echo the praise of previous owners; excellent workmanship; the shelves, trays and drawers fit like a tailored suit.

3+ lbs 65% beads to blanket the 'eco-system'.
Plugged drain.
No external temp control; set at max of 60F.

With glass tops on each tray and drawer (solid bottoms); there's effectively 5 mini-humidors/cab's/dress boxes.

(This Chasidor is technically full...a freezidor next?)

Thanks Chuck!

1badhog07
03-11-2010, 01:05 PM
very nice,cant wait to receive mine.

daboose
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Here's the rest of the story....

kelmac07
03-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Nice looking set-up. :tu Technically full??? I don't think so. :D

ChasDen
03-11-2010, 02:12 PM
:r :r :r FULL ????

Come on that's not full!

Thanks for the kind words.

Chas

eber
03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
looks good, I love the raw wood look

Razorhog
03-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Very nice looking setup! Nice collection to boot!

jaydub13
03-11-2010, 03:20 PM
That's great! Congrats, and you should be proud as hell of that setup!

68TriShield
03-11-2010, 04:07 PM
That's a really nice set up :tu

skyhigh340
03-11-2010, 09:19 PM
nice set-up! looking forward to getting my chasidor set up done!

jaymz
03-12-2010, 05:29 AM
I’m another proud, excited, thrilled and satisfied owner of a Chasidor! I echo the praise of previous owners; excellent workmanship; the shelves, trays and drawers fit like a tailored suit.

3+ lbs 65% beads to blanket the 'eco-system'.
Plugged drain.
No external temp control; set at max of 60F.

With glass tops on each tray and drawer (solid bottoms); there's effectively 5 mini-humidors/cab's/dress boxes.

(This Chasidor is technically full...a freezidor next?)

Thanks Chuck!

How did you plug your drain? I'm not satisfied with my 'solution'

nater
03-12-2010, 05:41 AM
To plug my drain hole, I just used tape..

daboose
03-12-2010, 06:43 AM
How did you plug your drain? I'm not satisfied with my 'solution'

jaymz,

I found a machine screw on my tool bench that had the right diameter to fit into the drain hole.

If you have enough thread on the drain extension use an acorn nut (5/16-18)....or the tape option.

daboose
03-12-2010, 06:48 AM
:r :r :r FULL ????
Come on that's not full!
Chas

Not full?! Oh...it's my wallet saying its full. :r

jaymz
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM
jaymz,

I found a machine screw on my tool bench that had the right diameter to fit into the drain hole.

If you have enough thread on the drain extension use an acorn nut (5/16-18)....or the tape option.

weird, my drain plug is on the bottom inside, not on the back like yours appears to be. Thanks for the photo.

acarr
03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Looks nice but I think it is technically only about 1/3 of the way full. That thing hasn't even seen a game of tetris yet.

Giants85
03-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Looks great, I just picked up this wine cooler as well and was wondering when you have it set at the max (60f) does it stay there? Mine seems to drop to about 58 (checked with 3 different thermometers) and I really don't want to go below 60.

Guess if I can't get it to stay at 60+ I'll have to look into external temp control...

Thanks.

NeuRon
03-15-2010, 04:51 PM
This Chasidor is technically full..!

haa... i think not

daboose
03-16-2010, 02:39 AM
haa... i think not

Dang! rough crowd :) Looks like I'm gonna have to take care of this.:D

daboose
03-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Looks great, I just picked up this wine cooler as well and was wondering when you have it set at the max (60f) does it stay there? Mine seems to drop to about 58 (checked with 3 different thermometers) and I really don't want to go below 60.

Guess if I can't get it to stay at 60+ I'll have to look into external temp control...

Thanks.

I had similar experience initially, but not for long. It's now holding ~63F regularly. I'm sure if a data logger were hooked up Iwould be surprised in the temperature swings and RH variations. But most of the time I check the Chasidor it's at 63F/65%.

I just plumbed a squirrel fan on the back inside wall throwing the heavier air upwards which seemed to help the 'eco-system.' Still watching it.

irklak
03-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Looks great!

Can't wait for my drawers from Chas!

daboose
06-02-2010, 08:09 AM
Condensation is an issue to be dealt with, especially living in the south with no basement.

The drain hole is no longer "plugged." The machine screw is gone.

A jar now sits on the outside ledge on the backside to collect the condensation. A plastic tube runs from the drain to the top of the jar. In a sense the drain is still "plugged" because the jar is sealed.

This also gives more space on the bottom of the Chasidor for beads and airflow.

Chasidor rocks! -(P

stewshi
06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
daboose I want to copy your design I think its a great idea to use the tube to jar for condensation. Can you post instructions on how you changed the drain hole and what size tubes you used? Thanks

Ogre
06-11-2010, 01:54 PM
Sweet looking cooler. My chasidor is in production. Really looking forward to getting it set up.

akakirby
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Just pulled the trigger on one of these. picked up the edgestar from compactappliance.com and order 2 shelfs and 2 double cedar drawers from chasden. now the waiting begins!!

daboose
06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
daboose I want to copy your design I think its a great idea to use the tube to jar for condensation. Can you post instructions on how you changed the drain hole and what size tubes you used? Thanks
Materials used:

1) plastic tube (1/2" outside diameter 3/8" inside diameter)
2) hose clamp
3) glass jar (drilled 1/2" hole in lid for tubing)
4) Velcro

You can get tubing at Lowes or Home Depot. The inside diameter of the hose is just large enough to fit over the plastic nut that secures the drain hole fitting. It's a snug fit so a little force will be needed. The hose clamp ensures that the hose doesn't come off. DO NOT over tighten the clamp because it will leak. Tighten the clamp enough so it won't wiggle loose. I over tightened the clamp and discovered water dripping down the backside onto the ledge. Ooops. So I loosened the clamp a tad; which allowed the plastic tubing to form around the plastic nut of the drain hole.

Tube length is important. Don't cut it to where it extends to the bottom of the jar. Because once the end of the tube is under water, the condensation will no longer drain and will over flow inside the Chasidor. Cut the tube so it ends at the top of the jar. The condensate will then drain freely.

When selecting a container to collect the condensate make sure it's not to high. The tubing needs to angle down towards the top of the jar. It doesn't have to be much.:banger

Not knowing how this would work, I also drilled a second but smaller hole in the lid, just incase to relieve any pressure. This smaller hole can always be plugged for those who don't want a 'hole' in their Chasidor.

I used the Velcro to secure the jar in place. A little piece is more than sufficient.

This set up for collecting condensation is working great.

Hope this helps.