PDA

View Full Version : What's with the Diesels ?

Parshooter
03-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I had a box of these years ago and caught hell from friends because they were supposed to be the worst thing ever. I smoked at least half that box, some were really good and some were really bad. I had a hard time trying to get anybody else to smoke one. Now it looks as if they have a couple new ones out and they seem to be popular. What gives?

kelmac07
03-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Curious as to the what the "original" blend tastes like.

BeerAdvocate
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Not the same cigar!

The old ones were made Rocky Patel.
The new ones (Diesel Unholy Cocktail)are a totally different cigar and are made by AJ Fernandez, maker of Man O War and others.

kelmac07
03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Not the same cigar!

The new ones (Diesel Unholy Cocktail)are a totally different cigar and are made by AJ Fernandez, maker of Man O War and others.

Ah...thanks Travis. :tu

maninblack
03-10-2010, 01:42 PM
The new ones are the shiznit.

Razorhog
03-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Did the old ones have a bright orange band?

captain53
03-10-2010, 03:53 PM
I am only aware of one being out now the Unholy Cocktail - reasons for popularity include they are $3, they look good, they taste pretty good and they are a fad too.

JohnnyKay5
03-10-2010, 04:13 PM
cant wait until mine get here

MiamiE
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
I am letting my little cab of 30 sit for a long while!

jsnake
03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I didn't care for the Diesel Unholy Cocktail at all. My friends all love them. I have one resting for a future revisit.

Razorhog
03-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Look at the cigar on the top right - orange label, says Diesel. Anyone recognize that?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2697/4417605559_36e7b396ab.jpg

floydp
03-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Look at the cigar on the top right - orange label, says Diesel. Anyone recognize that?
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2697/4417605559_36e7b396ab.jpg

I had some of those some years back and I remember they would turn your fingers the same color as the cigar. Other than that quite unremarkable.

silentjon
03-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Not the same cigar!

I forgot about these (Maybe because they were forgettable).

nater
03-11-2010, 07:15 AM
Never had the older ones, but the new ones are affordable and tasty, which makes them popular

neoflex
03-11-2010, 07:24 AM
I like them as there price point makes them very attractive. I love that I can grab one to take on errands with me and if I need to pitch it early I don't feel so guilty. The are the slightly more expensive CFO Reserva#7 of '09-'10. Anyone remember the hysteria around those? I still have a bunch and enjoy them. Those were a smoking deal a couple years ago.

Parshooter
03-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Yes, the one with the orange band and the drop of oil dripping off the name. That should have been a clue right there :r

marge796
03-11-2010, 07:45 AM
The new ones are the shiznit.

:tpd:

:tu

Trouble
03-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Someone was nice enough to post about a 10 pack for $30 shipped on CI. I had to give it a shot. People have said it was heavy in the hand. This thing is like a roll of quarters. I tend to like heavy cigars form some reason. They also said it smells like sh1t and they are right. It seems like a cigar that smells bad unlit tends to be great when you smoke it.

It had a strong taste of hay. I have heard this described before and thought that it would be the last thing I would want to taste in a cigar. As most have said it is actually a very pleasant taste. It was very smooth and no aftertaste which I like. This was a really great smoke period. Adding that it cost $3 a stick and it is a real good deal.

The only thing I did not enjoy was towards the end it got a little acrid which I hate. This could be my own fault. I only let it sit in the humi for 4-5 days. CI ships real wet and it still felt a little bit over humidified.

Maybe you guys can educate me. Can being a little over humidified make the cigar a little acrid? Generally will some rest help a cigar not become acrid?

Anyway I hate liking cigars that are hyped up but this is a really great cigar at a really great price. Time to order a box. Have a feeling they will age well.

Trouble
03-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Cigar.com has a box of 30 for $99 and they throw in another five pack for free.

688sonarmen
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Did the old ones have a bright orange band?

Thats the way I remember them, they were some of the first cigars a got back when i was a cid whore:D

longknocker
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Someone was nice enough to post about a 10 pack for $30 shipped on CI. I had to give it a shot. People have said it was heavy in the hand. This thing is like a roll of quarters. I tend to like heavy cigars form some reason. They also said it smells like sh1t and they are right. It seems like a cigar that smells bad unlit tends to be great when you smoke it.

It had a strong taste of hay. I have heard this described before and thought that it would be the last thing I would want to taste in a cigar. As most have said it is actually a very pleasant taste. It was very smooth and no aftertaste which I like. This was a really great smoke period. Adding that it cost $3 a stick and it is a real good deal.

The only thing I did not enjoy was towards the end it got a little acrid which I hate. This could be my own fault. I only let it sit in the humi for 4-5 days. CI ships real wet and it still felt a little bit over humidified.

Maybe you guys can educate me. Can being a little over humidified make the cigar a little acrid? Generally will some rest help a cigar not become acrid?

Anyway I hate liking cigars that are hyped up but this is a really great cigar at a really great price. Time to order a box. Have a feeling they will age well.

Yes! Most Cigars Are Shipped Very Wet. I Usually Let Mine Rest At Least 2 weeks Before Smoking any, sometimes 6 Months To 1 Year. That Should Take Care Of The Acrid Taste. I also Keep My Cigars Around 58-60% RH, Now, They Seem to burn & Smoke Better!:tu