PDA

View Full Version : Help with Civil War reenactors' Uniform repair

kzm007
03-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Hey all -

I've got a Confederate forager cap/kepi that's in need of slight repair. Somebody pulled the chin strap down from the cap, and in the process of attempting to put it back up against the cap, I broke off one of the brass 'CS' connectors, and lost the other one in college a few years ago. The model I'm referring to is pictured.

Is there anyone out there who does repair work, or knows of a sutler where I could mail the cap and chin strap to for reattachment?

Thanks for any help -

Kegan

http://fcsutler.com/pbummercsecon.gif

Mr.Erskine
03-10-2010, 04:16 AM
You could check with Regimental Quartermaster in Gettysburg, PA. THe buttons shouldn't be overly difficult to replace, even on your own. Who is the manufacturer?

What unit are you with?

gettysburgfreak
03-10-2010, 02:37 PM
You could check with Regimental Quartermaster in Gettysburg, PA. THe buttons shouldn't be overly difficult to replace, even on your own. Who is the manufacturer?

What unit are you with?

I second the Regimental Quartermaster. When I worked in gettysburg for two summers I went in there all the time. There is another sutler in town I will have to look it up.

Mikey202
03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Root hog or die, boys!!!!!:d

CheapHumidors
03-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I have no actual input on this, other than to say that it's awesome and I've always wanted to do it :) rock on guys.

gettysburgfreak
03-10-2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.ss-sutler.com/

email this guy

kzm007
03-10-2010, 04:34 PM
I have too; I actually just bought the hat and a darker grey coat a few years ago...can't recall the details on that, but here's a pic. I wear it with a dark tweed flat cap in the winter.
Anyway, I had some promotional winnings from eBay selling. CW stuff is pricey, but man, I love the uniforms, that's all. Otherwise, I could never pay for a full set-up. Gotta brush up on my uniforms, I know for a fact those greys don't match up.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v350/79/64/740905593/n740905593_4531972_114.jpg

Anyone care to enlighten my historical inaccuracies on that? I just tell people that by the end, we'd wear what we could find :r but I'd seriously like it to match up if that's not historically correct.

Damn "Gone With The Wind" lol them and their formal attire.

gettysburgfreak
03-10-2010, 05:02 PM
The typical uniform of the Confederate soldier was a forage or slouch hat, gray or butternut wool shell jacket, gray, butternut, or blue trousers, and brogans. A haversack was used to carry personal items. Confederate soldiers usually traveled lighter than their Union counterparts; instead of a knapsack, they typically carried their bedding rolled in their blanket and slung across one shoulder.

A good place to start is reading Johnny Reb by Bell Irvin Wiley or the Civil War Infantryman by my late friend Gregory A. Coco

tobii3
03-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I would suggest emailing KelMac.

After all, he was just a young Private in the Regiment back then....:D

kzm007
03-10-2010, 05:30 PM
The typical uniform of the Confederate soldier was a forage or slouch hat, gray or butternut wool shell jacket, gray, butternut, or blue trousers, and brogans. A haversack was used to carry personal items. Confederate soldiers usually traveled lighter than their Union counterparts; instead of a knapsack, they typically carried their bedding rolled in their blanket and slung across one shoulder.

A good place to start is reading Johnny Reb by Bell Irvin Wiley or the Civil War Infantryman by my late friend Gregory A. Coco

I think I'm pretty well covered, I just wanted my hat and coat to at least match up, and they do; that's actually a dark, purplish gray that if I recall was worn by Stonewall's men and was mistaken for Union blue through the smoke.

As for the kepi, I ordered my buttons, and a book on civilian life...damn sales tax and $8 shipping. Maybe I should've tried eBay, but I couldn't justify ten bucks just for two brass buttons.

Thanks for all the help, folks, and I'll need to pick that book up. I've heard of it, and it did look like an interesting read. I'm currently slowly reading "An Honorable Defeat: The Last Days of the Confederate Government" by Richard C. Davis, who's a professor at Virginia Tech. Very 'narrative'/'novel'-type of reading for a historical account, and easy to get into, unlike textbooks.

Kegan