PDA

View Full Version : lifelock et al

hotreds
03-09-2010, 05:38 PM
OK, guys and gals. Who can tell me if it's worth it to pay for one of these identity protector services? Anybody belong to one?

Rabidsquirrel
03-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Not really, since the CEO of lifelock had his identity stolen multiple times.

Apparently they charge you $120 a year to put a fraud alert on your credit reports.

Mugen910
03-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I heard that the CEO of one of those companies was advertising his SSN stating that he has got nothing to worry about AND some hackers took the challenge and was able to open some small accounts with his SSN and take less than $500 each time. I cannot remember where I read this though.

Personally I track all my expenses online (you would be suprised how easy it is to get into someone's account if they have never setup their online info before) and have a credit report sent from AMEX everytime something new shows up or needs my credit pulled on that report from all 3 agencies.
Posted via Mobile Device

chippewastud79
03-09-2010, 08:51 PM
You can set up an alert with the credit agencies that anytime you or anyone else tries to open a credit account in your name you will get a phone call for you to verify your address. I have it on mine and thus far there have been no problems and everytime I try to get a line of credit I get a phone call to make sure it is actually me opening the account. :tu

Kreth
03-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Interesting coincidence: the local news just had a brief report on Lifelock. Apparently they settled a class action suit brought by the AGs in PA and several other states, to the tune of $12M. The suit was over misleading claims in Lifelock ads regarding the extent of protection provided.
Posted via Mobile Device