PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons

RevSmoke
03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Yesterday I went fishing and then stopped in over at Titletown Tobacco for a cigar. Of course, I had a couple while fishing as well. I had a good time fishing. Met some new people and had a great time at Titletown.

But, not all cigars are equal.

Yesterday I was going to have two different cigars that I was really looking forward to smoking - a LFD Coronado Toro and a Viaje Oro Chico.

I don't care if a cigars is strong or mild, I just want it to have some nice flavors. Both of these were good looking sticks, well-rolled and firm in the hand. Both produced decent amounts of smoke with minimal effort. Both had an even burn, the ash on the Coronado being white to light grey, the Viaje's being a charcoal grey.

Pro:
I nearly burnt my fingers trying to get the last bit of the Coronado's nub. It was an incredibly rich, sweet and tasty smoke. I expected a powerhouse that would blow me away - it never happened. Pepper was present, but didn't overwhelm, sweet, creamy leather - if I can describe it that way seemed the dominant notes.

Con:
The Viaje sits in Titletown's store portion stinky - a good 4" of it left - if someone wants it. I don't know what it was, but the flavors were blah - I don't know, just weird. While it was fairly strong, it never really piqued my interest. It kind of reminded my of some kind of oriental tea, but as if it had been burnt. Not really pleasant.

I will look at Coronados in the future, but you Viaje fans don't need to worry about me scarfin' up your stock - there are other sticks I'd rather spend $7-$9 on.

Sorry to have panned the Viaje, but that was the biggest disappointment I've had in a long time - and normally I suffer through more of a stick than that. I just couldn't. I wasn't enjoying it at all, even given being at Titletown and having the fellowship and great surrounding. Someone was quite aghast that I set it down with the intention of not finishing it.

G G
03-09-2010, 04:44 PM
:tu

kelmac07
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the Viaje...their Holiday Blend is one of my favorites sticks. The Oro is so-so and not one of their best products IMHO. Thanks for sharing Rev. :tu

The Poet
03-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Life's too short to smoke bad cigars, my brother, no matter what they cost. You did the right thing.

NCRadioMan
03-09-2010, 05:10 PM
The Coronado lancero is great!

massphatness
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Life's too short to smoke bad cigars, my brother, no matter what they cost. You did the right thing.

I'm with stupid.

(can't remember how to get the icon to come up on my iphone)
Posted via Mobile Device

cort
03-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm with stupid.

Posted via Mobile Device

:tpd:

jaydub13
03-09-2010, 06:09 PM
I tried my first Coronado the other day, a Corona Especial, if I'm not mistaken. I agree, great stick, will definitely need to stock up on some, especially since they aren't too expensive by the box. Thanks for the review, you did a great job of summing up both sticks!

St. Lou Stu
03-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Always a pleasure to read what you have to say Rev.

Nice concise review with no punches held.

RevSmoke
03-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the Viaje...their Holiday Blend is one of my favorites sticks. The Oro is so-so and not one of their best products IMHO. Thanks for sharing Rev. :tu

Yeah? Hmm. This was supposed to be the cat's meow too, but..

You know what though, I'm not disappointed. Not every cigar is everybody's holy grail. If it were then I couldn't find any _________________s, and that would just put me in a real foul mood. ;)

RevSmoke
03-09-2010, 07:22 PM

Normally though, I give a cigar a bit more time, usually the whole stick. And oftentimes I'll even try a second of a particular because sometimes one stick in a box just sucks.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars, I agree wholeheartedly.

But, you also miss some of life's greatest pleasures if you're just rushing through and don't give them time to develop.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

RevSmoke
03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Always a pleasure to read what you have to say Rev.

Nice concise review with no punches held.

Thank you for your kind words!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

shilala
03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I love those Coronado's, my brother. An excellent smoke.
I sent you a Coronado Maduro, too. I have two of the 83 boxes made. The few I smoked, I was on then off with them. I'm hoping to dig into them a lot harder once the weather turns. I'm excited to hear how the Coronado maduro plays for you.
They're delicate like the one you just had, but, awww, I'll let you see for yourself. :D
Thanks for the review!!! :tu

RevSmoke
03-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I love those Coronado's, my brother. An excellent smoke.
I sent you a Coronado Maduro, too. I have two of the 83 boxes made. The few I smoked, I was on then off with them. I'm hoping to dig into them a lot harder once the weather turns. I'm excited to hear how the Coronado maduro plays for you.
They're delicate like the one you just had, but, awww, I'll let you see for yourself. :D
Thanks for the review!!! :tu

Maybe let it sit for a bit before smoking?

rizzle
03-11-2010, 10:17 AM

I'm with stupid.

Posted via Mobile Device

:tpd:

I'm dumber than all y'all, but :tpd: too.

gnukfu
03-12-2010, 04:24 AM
Saw this post and dug out a La Flor Coronado I had buried in my collection. It was from 2007 so it had a couple of years on it. I agree with you Todd, what a great tasty smoke! Adding this to my list next time I go shopping.

The only Viaje I have smoked is the Holiday Blend and I enjoyed that.

joeybear
03-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Coronados are excellent cigars and have always been very consistent. Viajes need some work. I did a box split of the Viaje and wasn't too terribly impressed. My remnants went to the troops :)